Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Casey Hudson to BioWare Staff: 'These Problems Are Real & It's Our Top Priority to Work on Them' - M

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited April 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageCasey Hudson to BioWare Staff: 'These Problems Are Real & It's Our Top Priority to Work on Them' - MMORPG.com

After the bombshell Kotaku article yesterday that revealed deep problems in the working environment at BioWare, studio General Manager Casey Hudson sent out an internal memo to staff acknowledging the article. He acknowledges that the issues are present and that "it's our top priority to continue working to solve them". Hudson then goes on to talk about efforts already underway to ease some of the top level concerns, but mentions that "there's much more to do".

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Gdemami

Comments

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited April 2019
    I read that letter and wondered to myself, "Why wasn't this, or something similar without internal business verbiage, the letter that came out in response to the Kotaku article?" It strikes the right tone and both admits to problems and shows resolve to work them out. FFS BioWare...who approved that PR nightmare yesterday? :|
    halfmysticGdemamiOctagon7711[Deleted User]sschruppXarktardHatefullinfomatz

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• halfmystichalfmystic Member RarePosts: 535
    edited April 2019

SBFord said:

I read that letter and wondered to myself, "Why wasn't this, or something similar without internal business verbiage, the letter that came out in response to the Kotaku article?" It strikes the right tone and both admits to problems and shows resolve to work them out. FFS BioWare...who approved that PR nightmare yesterday? :|

Because..uh.
    Reasons. I really have nothing else to add to that, BioWare done screwed up.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited April 2019
    I have mentioned a few times that part of the industry problem is all the connection to gaming that is making money from gaming.Very rare does any site say a bad thing about any game because they are all indirect partners in crime.
    It is like watching a crime unfold and doing nothing about it.Streamers are maybe the worst,You Tubers will sensationalize the most mundane ideas and act like they are AMAZING,i HIGHLY recommend this game.

We need more Kotaku sites that will tell it like it is and not worry if they will be buddy buddy with a game developer.Money is not just ruining gaming it is ruining people and how they think and act.
    The phrase "you must be living under a rock"is real,has merit,some things in life just fly right over their head,they haven't a clue what is going on around them.

This sort of article should have arrived years ago before developers became comfortable releasing crappy half assed games because they knew the media industry had their back.There are a LOT of games that have no business selling anything,they are not worth playing and yet they receive praise,sometimes high fives.
    I saw for the first time gamers actually stand up and pay attention and not be fanbois with the Diablo 4 announcement.Usually during these gaming events th fanbois crowd sits in anticipation waiting for the QUE to cheer and applause,i am sure Blizzard expects it.Finally they said NO to that crap,screw you Blizzard,yoru not selling us that crappy idea.it is like cash shops,once we allowed the door to open they take to a new level of scummery,loot boxes.
    GolelornDhampirbartoni33

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I say take all the cash shop devs,early access devs,copy cat devs and make them walk the plank with 500 copies of Diablo 4 tied to each leg and a copy of every bad game out there,man they won't only sink they will sink like a torpedo.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• 3dom3dom Member RarePosts: 889
    One step closer to shutdown of the studio. Considering how they cannot even change inscriptions on legendary loot in Anthem during 6+ weeks (to prevent trash-level drops) - it would be justified.

Thank you for your time!

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,839
    They haven't made a good game since Mass Effect 3, and even that game managed to push early lootboxes and on-disc dlc due to these controversies being so thoroughly overshadowed by the controversial ending.
    velimirius
  • foppoteefoppotee Member UncommonPosts: 508
    This is a trend that surrounds most of the gaming industry currently not just 1 developer/publisher.

Complacency pure & simple with focus upon how to incorporate gambling into the games &/or the next release of DLC versus making sure there is a good complete story telling game to immerse a player not riddled with glitches.

I'm not even considering buying a game now upon its release. I'll just wait it out for a real verdict from the mass of players & that can only happen after time has been spent playing it.
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited April 2019
    SBFord said:
    Give them the benefit of the doubt I guess.

The last company I worked for that had such issues made resolving them a "priority." In fact, it was one of the entire company's "top 3" initiatives for 2018.

The situation there now is as bad, if not worse.  So talk is cheap, and this talk is contradictory to the previous talk.  That doesn't give me much hope for their employees seeing positive change.
    Hatefullinfomatz

• MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362
    It's all just EA in my opinion.

Everything EA buys up go to crap.
    GdemamiXarktardGolelorninfomatz
  • kryntokkryntok Member UncommonPosts: 77
    I will always continue to blame to source. EA
    GdemamiXarktard
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Has this really been Bio ware or EA's version of it. To me the real Bio ware died years ago,
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,364
    worried about Star wars Jedi fallen order
    edited April 2019
    An interesting related tidbit:

Update

Kotaku's Jason Schreier has said on Twitter that he has received word from several BioWare employees that an email has been sent to them essentially saying, "Don't talk to the press". 

On a related note, I'm told by a couple of BioWare employees that so far, studio management hasn't talked to staff about the article. Instead, the company sent out emails yesterday with one main message: "Don't talk to the press."

— Jason Schreier (@jasonschreier) April 3, 2019

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

SBFord said:
    An interesting related tidbit:

Update

Kotaku's Jason Schreier has said on Twitter that he has received word from several BioWare employees that an email has been sent to them essentially saying, "Don't talk to the press". 

On a related note, I'm told by a couple of BioWare employees that so far, studio management hasn't talked to staff about the article. Instead, the company sent out emails yesterday with one main message: "Don't talk to the press."

— Jason Schreier (@jasonschreier) April 3, 2019
    Well, that's standard procedure. I can't really give them any demerits for that. Company image is important, and the statements of one worker can't be allowed to reflect on everyone.
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    Pity you cannot prevent nor find out those shitbags running their mouths...they deserve to be fired.
    SBFordAeanderGolelorn[Deleted User]XarktardIselininfomatzbartoni33EponyxDamor
    edited April 2019
    Gdemami said:
    Pity you cannot prevent nor find out those shitbags running their mouths...they deserve to be fired.
    Riiiiiiiight. Because people deserve to work in unethical situations that are detrimental to their physical and mental health. FFS, dude. :D
    GdemamiAeanderXarktardDragnelus[Deleted User]KilraneHatefullcheyaneinfomatzTacticalZombehand 1 other.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395
    But let's all agree to continue to buy EA garbage! Because we are gamers, and that's what we do!
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    edited April 2019
    SBFord said:
    Riiiiiiiight. Because people deserve to work in unethical situations that are detrimental to their health. FFS, dude. :D
    ...no one is forcing them to work there.

You don't like something at your job? You use internal channels to sort out your issue or you just leave the company....but smacktalking someone who is feeding you behind their back...yeah, that takes some 'ethics'...

I think what is more detrimental to your health is reading and falling to excrements that yellow kid is producing...again, tell me more about 'ethics' of yellow yournalism...

ffs indeed...
    AeanderSBFord[Deleted User]XarktardinfomatzEponyxDamor
  • Tuor7Tuor7 Member RarePosts: 982
    Translation: we just got some bad PR and now we need to look like we're doing something about it.
    bartoni33
    Gdemami said:
    SBFord said:
    Riiiiiiiight. Because people deserve to work in unethical situations that are detrimental to their health. FFS, dude. :D

You don't like something at your job? You use internal channels to sort out your issue or you just leave the company....but smacktalking someone who is feeding you behind their back...yeah, that takes some 'ethics'...

I think what is more detrimental to your health is reading and falling to excrements that yellow kid is producing...again, tell me more about 'ethics' of yellow yournalism...

ffs indeed...
    They see me shillin', they hatin'.
    MadFrenchieSBFordinfomatzTacticalZombeh
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Gdemami said:
    SBFord said:

ffs indeed...
    Your inability to recognize the effects of the inequity of bargaining power between employer and employee is as well-noted from your posting history as it is willfulliy ignorant.
    AeanderSBFordGdemamiXarktardinfomatzTacticalZombehbartoni33EponyxDamor

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Gdemami said:

You don't like something at your job? You use internal channels to sort out your issue or you just leave the company ....
    Reminds me of a Homer Simpson quote. "If you don't like your job, you don't quit or go on strike. You just come in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way."
    GdemamiRobbgobbXarktardflguy147infomatzbartoni33

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• NitemareMMONitemareMMO Member UncommonPosts: 239

Gdemami said:

You should apply for a position. Your response radiates with management qualities and people skills.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    After ME:Andromeda you would have thought that they would have got a grip on the management issues in the company, instead it seems all the issues that cropped up during the development of ME:A were amplified during the development of Anthem, so many years of pointless pre-production and at best, 16 months of actual development, its a wonder the game works at all, but absolutely no surprise that it is not a finished game and likely needs another year or two to make the game worth the price people paid for it.
    Hello Games may have done the right thing when it comes to NMS but i have more than a few doubts about Biowares ability to 'fix' Anthem even assuming they are given the time and resources to actually do it, they are under EA's thumb after all. :/
    NyteWytch[Deleted User]
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Gdemami said:

the ones at the top fleecing customers for their annual 8 figure paycheck also deserve to be fired, right?