Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

For the night is dark, and full of terrors

AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
One thing I loved about EQ was that, at least in certain places like Kithicor forest, the behavior and presence of certain mobs and NPCs was different at night - different usually being much more dangerous. That really made the game immersive and more fun for me.

It looks like Pantheon will have some of that; e.g., some NPCs go into their homes and shops at night. I hope there is more to it, and expect that there will be.

This kind of attention to detail in an indie game is part of what makes this game special.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

TokkenEronakis

Comments

• LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    There's a surprising lack of dynamics in these so-called "persistent worlds".

I remember that first Werewolf encounter in EQ.  That was terrifyingly epic.  It was also completely unexpected.

We were in some low level bandit group in West Karana.  We were slaughtering mobs for a while, grinding away.  It turned dark, and we were doing our thing.
    Out of nowhere, pure chaos erupts as the mass slaughter begins.  That werewolf didn't care if you were bandit, cleric, or wizard.  Player or NPC, everyone was on his naughty list.

It was much like jabbing a stick into an ant mound.  Suddenly, we were all running around and scattering everywhere.  And, of course, there was no mob tethering in EQ, so you had to make it to a zone line.
    Of course, it was pitch black, and most people were still newbies, so finding the zone line while the werewolf hunted people down one-by-one with his superior runspeed made for an interesting dark night.
    SovrathAmatheKyleranHluill
  • MuddahMuddah Member UncommonPosts: 161
    lol I spent more time running zone walls then running through the middle. 

But yeah this game probably won't be anyones first mmo we're all gonna be quite versed in the ways of play at this point.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited April 2019
    Yeah there is going to be some good aspects of the game design no doubt about that but i feel it always comes down to the core basics.
    Like how the character is created,how we move about everyday ,what we do,what combat is like.For myself the entire game can feel ho hum if the core is the same old.The core mechanics of rpg's is what we do 75-90% of the time,that part needs to feel new,somewhat different/creative.

All of the genres are copying the same core basics,nobody is putting  any thought into their games.A genre is not defined by one exact design style,yet seems developers think that way.

To me it is as simple as before a dev team goes ahead with an idea,they need to stop and ask themselves,does it make any sense.I have mentioned it a few times OOC food/drink did not and does not make any sense.I can accept sotty ideas if at least the dev team puts reasoning into it.Example i don't want to click a sign board and do quests,there is no reasoning as to WHY i am doing quests,i am simply clicking a board and doing quests because it gives me xp and maybe some gold.Why is a sign board giving me xp or gold,a sign board is a non living entity,you see ideas like that make NO sense.

Everything we do should relate to the game world and not be ideas that are outside the world,example cash shops,they are NOT a part of the world and should not ruin or influence it in any way.LFG auto dungeon finders are FAKE ideas that ruin immersion,they make NO sense,they are just ideas outside the game world to cater to players who don't want an immersive world the ywant simpleton loot/boss/dungeons.That is NOT game design,that is very shallow gaming.

So we will see if this feels same old or maybe it just amazes us and is like WHOA,this is way better than i thought...i hope so.
    Hluill

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Mylan12Mylan12 Member UncommonPosts: 288
    Muddah said:
    lol I spent more time running zone walls then running through the middle. 

But yeah this game probably won't be anyones first mmo we're all gonna be quite versed in the ways of play at this point.
    My problem with running the zone walls was that I keep going over the wall and getting stuck below the world. It was nice when they finally fixed it so you would teleport to a safe spot in the zone. 
     I liked these events in EQ especially when they were not well known and plastered all over the fan sites so that you were really surprised. If they have similar things in Pantheon, I like to see them more random in location and whatever event occurs with no real pattern for the fans to figure out. 
  • AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
    Muddah said:
    But yeah this game probably won't be anyones first mmo [...]
    Hu ? Why not ?

I've played Vanguard without playing EverQuest before.

In fact EverQuest doesnt even appeal to me.

I dont see why nobody would play Pantheon just because they didnt play Vanguard and/or EverQuest before.
  • AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
    You posted in the wrong thread.

The "this game wont release anyway" thread is on the first page: