Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rift Devs Detail the Upcoming Battle Pass - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited April 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageRift Devs Detail the Upcoming Battle Pass - MMORPG.com

A couple of weeks ago, the Rift team posted a cryptic Twitter message asking players what they'd like to see in the battle pass, all without any information about what that actually might be. Today, the Rift site has been updated with the first information about what the battle pass is. It includes 30 levels in season one that are accomplished by completing daily and weekly quests. Players can earn rewards for free, by purchasing the Premium pack for $10 or being a Patron.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• nastilonnastilon Member UncommonPosts: 150
    Wow look at the monetization... Rift was my favorite MMO...
    Seelinnikoinycplayboy78Scot
  • MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,360
    And that's one more title killed.
    Seelinnikoinycplayboy78ValdheimScot
  • KumaponKumapon Member EpicPosts: 1,556
    Just what Rift needs. More monetization ! :D 
    SeelinnikoiScot
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Too bad all those sites gave the game high scores ,i guess all those sites were wrong,this ship doesn't go into cash shop haven unless it is sinking fast.
    Aggregate scores
    Aggregator Score
    GameRankings 85.20%[23]
    (41 reviews)
    Metacritic 84/100[24]
    (59 reviews)
    Review scores
    Publication Score
    GamePro 4.5/5 stars[25]
    GameSpot 8/10[26]
    GameSpy 4/5 stars[27][28]
    GamesRadar+ 4/5 stars[29]
    GameTrailers 8.2/10[30]
    IGN 8.5/10[31]
    PC Gamer (US) 85/100[32]
    Awards
    Publication Award
    Game Developers Conference[33] Best New Online Game
    and
    Best Online Technology
    IGN[34] Best PC Persistent World/MMO Game of 2011
    MMORPG.com[35] Game of the Year 2011
    Joystiq[36] Most Improved MMO 2012
    [icon]
    This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (July 2013)
    Rift received generally positive reviews from game critics.[37] In August 2011, Trion announced that 1 million users/players have played the game[38] and by January 2012 it had earned $100 million in total revenue.[39]

The game has been well received by critics, with aggregate review websites GameRankings and Metacritic assigning scores of 85.20% and 84/100, respectively.[23][24]

GamingExcellence called it "one of the best MMOs released in years."[40] PC Gamer gave the game an 85/100 saying the game is "absolutely colossal, [and] Rift aims high and hits its mark, proving that there’s room to grow within the traditional MMO format."[32] GameSpy stated "it's worth noting that Rift has already emerged as Blizzard's best competition in years" and praised the dynamic world offered from rift events, but also questioned "how well its initially refreshing concepts will hold up after months of playtime."[28] IGN stated that "soul building is very flexible and rifts are great fun" and that although "there's not a lot of originality" and "everything works exactly as it should," and concluding that "Telara is a worthy alternative to Azeroth for anyone looking to explore a new world."[41]

At the 2011 Game Developers Conference in Austin, Texas, Rift won awards for "Best New Online Game" and "Best Online Technology".[33] IGN awarded Rift "Best PC Persistent World/MMO Game of 2011" calling it "the most bug-free and out-of-the-gate high-quality MMO ever created."[34]

This is a few years ago BEFORE we started seeing even more outrageous scores by websites.If these were right now in 2019 those scores would be 9+/10 likely even some 10/10.Then people question my ratings...LMAO,when seemingly EVERY single websites gets it wrong,i'd say there is both a LOT of BS going on and a LOT of people who don't know squat about game design.

Seelinnikoimmolou

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Games is ruined. Uninstalling.
    It's so sad what has happened to Rift. I really enjoyed it. Even when it went f2p its model was one of the best. But they just kept messing with it over and over. I blame the suits at Trion for that. The world is really cool but it's empty now. Trying to quest in the game is just annoying with all the rifts that no one bothers with anymore. Last time I played I was trying to quest at an outside zone and it kept being attacked from rift creatures constantly because it was surrounded by 4 rifts going at once and no one around to help close them.
    SeelinnikoiValdheim
  • Mackaveli44Mackaveli44 Member RarePosts: 708

Hariken said:

It's so sad what has happened to Rift. I really enjoyed it. Even when it went f2p its model was one of the best. But they just kept messing with it over and over. I blame the suits at Trion for that. The world is really cool but it's empty now. Trying to quest in the game is just annoying with all the rifts that no one bothers with anymore. Last time I played I was trying to quest at an outside zone and it kept being attacked from rift creatures constantly because it was surrounded by 4 rifts going at once and no one around to help close them.

Indeed it is sad what happened to Rift. It did so well to start with and just went downhill :( I remember the early days of all the zones being jam packed with players, rift after rift, zone event after zone event being taken down by hordes of players. It was a good and fun game... key word *was*.

Money is the ultimate breaker to games and this is a good example. Too much greed is shown in basically everything they do in the game now. Does it even have a population anymore? Does it even get updates anymore?
  • AngryElfAngryElf Member UncommonPosts: 194

Wizardry said:

Too bad all those sites gave the game high scores ,i guess all those sites were wrong,this ship doesn't go into cash shop haven unless it is sinking fast.

Aggregate scores

Aggregator Score

GameRankings 85.20%[23]

(41 reviews)

Metacritic 84/100[24]

(59 reviews)

Review scores

Publication Score

GamePro 4.5/5 stars[25]

GameSpot 8/10[26]

GameTrailers 8.2/10[30]

IGN 8.5/10[31]

PC Gamer (US) 85/100[32]

Awards

Publication Award

and

Best Online Technology

[icon]

Rift received generally positive reviews from game critics.[37] In August 2011, Trion announced that 1 million users/players have played the game[38] and by January 2012 it had earned $100 million in total revenue.[39]

The game has been well received by critics, with aggregate review websites GameRankings and Metacritic assigning scores of 85.20% and 84/100, respectively.[23][24]

GamingExcellence called it "one of the best MMOs released in years."[40] PC Gamer gave the game an 85/100 saying the game is "absolutely colossal, [and] Rift aims high and hits its mark, proving that there’s room to grow within the traditional MMO format."[32] GameSpy stated "it's worth noting that Rift has already emerged as Blizzard's best competition in years" and praised the dynamic world offered from rift events, but also questioned "how well its initially refreshing concepts will hold up after months of playtime."[28] IGN stated that "soul building is very flexible and rifts are great fun" and that although "there's not a lot of originality" and "everything works exactly as it should," and concluding that "Telara is a worthy alternative to Azeroth for anyone looking to explore a new world."[41]

At the 2011 Game Developers Conference in Austin, Texas, Rift won awards for "Best New Online Game" and "Best Online Technology".[33] IGN awarded Rift "Best PC Persistent World/MMO Game of 2011" calling it "the most bug-free and out-of-the-gate high-quality MMO ever created."[34]

This is a few years ago BEFORE we started seeing even more outrageous scores by websites.If these were right now in 2019 those scores would be 9+/10 likely even some 10/10.Then people question my ratings...LMAO,when seemingly EVERY single websites gets it wrong,i'd say there is both a LOT of BS going on and a LOT of people who don't know squat about game design.

Weren't all of these ratings before they changed ownership and before the unscrupulous monetization? It was a fantastic game back in those days.
    For example: Steam has recent reviews as well as all reviews. Not all sites update their ratings through the life of the product.
    Not saying the ratings standards aren't flawed, but this case isn't a great example of the current theater.
    TacticalZombehRoin
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680

AngryElf said:

Wizardry said:

Aggregate scores

Aggregator Score

GameRankings 85.20%[23]

(41 reviews)

Metacritic 84/100[24]

(59 reviews)

Review scores

Publication Score

GamePro 4.5/5 stars[25]

GameSpot 8/10[26]

GameTrailers 8.2/10[30]

IGN 8.5/10[31]

PC Gamer (US) 85/100[32]

Awards

Publication Award

and

Best Online Technology

[icon]

Weren't all of these ratings before they changed ownership and before the unscrupulous monetization? It was a fantastic game back in those days.

For example: Steam has recent reviews as well as all reviews. Not all sites update their ratings through the life of the product.

Not saying the ratings standards aren't flawed, but this case isn't a great example of the current theater.

Those reviews are nothing if the world is empty. The game was made around those Rift events that no one bothers with anymore. The game doesn't have the player base anymore.
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Wizardry said:
    Aggregate scores
    Aggregator Score
    GameRankings 85.20%[23]
    (41 reviews)
    Metacritic 84/100[24]
    (59 reviews)
    Review scores
    Publication Score
    GamePro 4.5/5 stars[25]
    GameSpot 8/10[26]
    GameTrailers 8.2/10[30]
    IGN 8.5/10[31]
    PC Gamer (US) 85/100[32]
    Awards
    Publication Award
    and
    Best Online Technology
    [icon]

What are you talking about. Those reviews are from launch / early on before the game even went F2P. It had no monetization back then other than a monthly fee and back then it was seen as one of the better MMORPG launches, and one that did a WoW clone correctly with enough to differentiate it from the rest. 

It would NOT get those reviews today, especially with how the monetization works. But that doesn't matter to you because it isn't painting reviewers in a negative light like you want. 
    mmolouValdheimScotRoin
  • itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999
    The game at launch was worthy of those lofty scores.

It was a theorycrafter's dream game... also it had a steampunk faction!

The f2p model and the simplification of the game nuked it IMHO
    [Deleted User]SBFordmmolouTacticalZombeh

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• KellerKeller Member UncommonPosts: 602

itchmon said:

The game at launch was worthy of those lofty scores.

It was a theorycrafter's dream game... also it had a steampunk faction!

The f2p model and the simplification of the game nuked it IMHO

I totally agree on this!

DMKano said:

Another fail by Gamigo

Guess they have to save their investment. Battlepasses are populair with the new gamers in Fortnite and likewise games. It's to attract those "new" players. We "old" players had our chance to give Rift (and Trino) our money.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    It really is sad seeing this game in such a state. Ruined by greed and laziness in the end.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    If I had played Rift before playing WoW, I think I would have enjoyed it alot more. Playing it when I did though, it felt like it stole most of the game from Wow and WAR. It didnt feel like anything in it was original other than the 3 class system.
  • JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,959
    WTF! Is this a belate April Fools joke?
  • BrotherMaynardBrotherMaynard Member RarePosts: 565
    premium lock boxes
    As Dr. Klein would put it: I have no words! No words!
  • TalemireTalemire Member UncommonPosts: 839
    LOL
    Isaiah 41:10
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,067

Hariken said:

Indeed it is sad what happened to Rift. It did so well to start with and just went downhill :( I remember the early days of all the zones being jam packed with players, rift after rift, zone event after zone event being taken down by hordes of players. It was a good and fun game... key word *was*.

Money is the ultimate breaker to games and this is a good example. Too much greed is shown in basically everything they do in the game now. Does it even have a population anymore? Does it even get updates anymore?

I was there and I too recall what fun it was going from one world boss to another . Waves of players the rifts didn't stand a chance. What great times.
    KellerIselin
    Chamber of Chains
  • inmysightsinmysights Member UncommonPosts: 441
    So, I dont get what this is, is the the new and only way to play the game? F2P is gone? I couldn't find any information on it. The link says the exact same thing as on here.

I am so good, I backstabbed your face!

• ThumbtackJThumbtackJ Member UncommonPosts: 669

DMKano said:

Another fail by Gamigo

It hurts so much to see honestly. Rift was my go-to game for such a long time. Hands down was the best EQ2/WoW "clone" in my opinion.
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    edited April 2019
    I like the purpose of this, it's more things to do, but making it separate from Patron is the biggest load of bullshit I've seen for a while. Won't be downloading this game ever again.
    Scot
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    I am confused, so by paying they give you levels? Leveling in RIFT is easy as can be
  • westyywestyy Member UncommonPosts: 32
    People laughed at me when i said Crapigo would destroy this game..Welcome to what i know about Crapigo..

westyy said:

People laughed at me when i said Crapigo would destroy this game..Welcome to what i know about Crapigo..

The thing is.. it's getting a really positive response on the official forums. Current players are really up for it.

Myrdynn said:

I am confused, so by paying they give you levels? Leveling in RIFT is easy as can be

It's a separate system and nothing to do with your character progression.

Basically, there are these battle pass levels, you do specific randomized daily/weekly quests to earn XP towards these levels and you get a reward each level. You get some rewards as a free player and you get more rewards if you buy the battle pass. If you are a Patron subscriber and have bought the battle pass you get even more rewards.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,824

I like the purpose of this, it's more things to do, but making it separate from Patron is the biggest load of bullshit I've seen for a while. Won't be downloading this game ever again.

Separate gameplay systems are always a huge issue in a MMO. But there are so many old examples of how not to do them that you would think it was impossible for a MMO to go wrong now. How to create a rod for your own back is still going strong in MMOland.