Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The most populated MMORPG right now?

WedlenWedlen Member UncommonPosts: 146
What is the most populated MMORPG right now? WoW, Guildwars 2, Elder Scrolls Online, Final Fantasy 14 etc etc.

Comments

• FlemFlem Member UncommonPosts: 2,870
    If you believe this site then its still WoW.

https://altarofgaming.com/all-mmos-sorted-by-population-2018/
    AmatheUngood
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Lineage 1 ...........
    PhaserlightGorwe
  • WonderPugZWonderPugZ Newbie CommonPosts: 2
    Seems believable that WoW is still top dog, it has the most recognizable name after all and it stood the test of time so far. Dunno how TESO will do, seems in a good spot for now.
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    WoW, followed by FFXIV probably.
    Gobstopper3D

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    Wow
    ESO
    FFXIV

?
    Tiller

Joined - July 2004

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Odd question,i see no reason for it,easy to find the answer as well,like one easy Google search.

https://massivelyop.com/2018/12/05/perfect-ten-the-healthiest-live-mmorpgs-at-the-end-of-2018/

POE listed as a mmorpg wrong on both accounts,it is not a rpg nor a mmo,a shallow spammy killing useless fodder socket game yes but not a mmorpg.

The post says lot's <<LOT'S of games jockeying for the 11-20 spot including Star trek Online,that right there says how bad the genre is when STO is listed as nearly a #11.

Hariken

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• XanzoXanzo Member UncommonPosts: 129
    Wizardry said:
    Odd question,i see no reason for it,easy to find the answer as well,like one easy Google search.

https://massivelyop.com/2018/12/05/perfect-ten-the-healthiest-live-mmorpgs-at-the-end-of-2018/

POE listed as a mmorpg wrong on both accounts,it is not a rpg nor a mmo,a shallow spammy killing useless fodder socket game yes but not a mmorpg.

The post says lot's <<LOT'S of games jockeying for the 11-20 spot including Star trek Online,that right there says how bad the genre is when STO is listed as nearly a #11.

You're right, you can look this stuff up any where.

Also, I don't know why you don't consider POE an rpg? You are playing a role.
  • btdtbtdt Member RarePosts: 523
    If you are looking to play a game in which there will actually be people online playing AROUND YOU when you are online, the only true metric is your own eyes.  You must log in and look around.

WoW may have the largest population, but for many people playing, there is literally no other players AROUND THEM when they play.  The world is huge, there are many servers, many shards (instanced servers), and different timezones that affect the actual number of people who may be in your proximity.

Even your own eyes can deceive you because some of those players you see are actually bots being controlled by programs.  Yes, an actual player is attached to them, but they aren't anywhere near the computer that is driving them... so for all portents, they are not really "there".

The flipside to this is launch events... in which the game is so packed that there really isn't a game at all to be played because all the dangerous creatures get mobbed 10:1 and die in seconds.  There is no fear of death because the game mechanics are broken by being so utterly crowded.  Quite the opposite to what it's like a 6 months later for someone just starting out... there the game mechanics are intact and it's more like the mobs are 10:1 on you if you try to face roll it.

So populations are relative.  Population for the bean counters and the quarterly earning reports or populations for the actual gamer looking to play a game with other people.

Gorwe
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    "The most" doesn't matter unless you're an MMO fashionista. Populated enough is the only thing that matters for game play even if it's just one little server with 5000 active players. Although, I suppose, with low numbers like that you'd have to worry about imminent shutdown. 

As far as current ones that give you that busy MMO experience and seem to be financially healthy, all the ones you mentioned in the OP are doing just fine and so are many more.
    gervaise1immodiumSovrathGorweMendelklash2def
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    Ciptello said:
    WoW surprises me, I played a lot, but many years ago. I played and played and played, I had a very strong character and continued to play. Until one day, I realized that I was still doing the same. This was my end to WoW. I do not know if I would like to start everything anew now.
    I have a question, is PUBG a mmo shooter?

No, it is a BR (Battle Royale) game. It may have character progression, not sure as I do not play it, but it is a BR type game more than anything else.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    edited April 2019
    Xanzo said:
    Wizardry said:

You're right, you can look this stuff up any where.

Also, I don't know why you don't consider POE an rpg? You are playing a role.
    Roleplaying as a spammy, useless, socket filling killer,  am I right? 

:D
    Hatefullmoshra

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    1: wow
    2:ffxiv/eso

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    A year or two ago I rolled a dwarf warrior in WoW. And while I saw some peeps in cities, for the most part I ran into almost no one leveling up until I got closer to the highest level.
    [Deleted User]Mendel

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    Flem said:
    If you believe this site then its still WoW.

https://altarofgaming.com/all-mmos-sorted-by-population-2018/

I doubt gw2 numbers is right, hell I belive even wow numbers are inflated as hell, same with eso I do belive they are selling how many account it have, or number of people who played last month

I do belive ff14 have a better number of people then eso though
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Arterius said:
    Just started playing WoW about a month ago and I would say WoW easily. For as much hate as that game gets no matter where I go there is at least 20-30 people in the same area. It gets annoying some times when I am trying to do a mission with a low drop rate and there are five people trying to do the same quest.
    If a game - any game - uses megaserver/server cluster technology its "impossible" to guess how many people are playing based on your play experience. (Unless its very quiet in which case .....)
    Kyleran
    Population was touched upon in this recent thread fyi:

https://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/comment/7453572#Comment_7453572
    edited April 2019
    Arterius said:
    gervaise1 said:
    Arterius said:
    Just started playing WoW about a month ago and I would say WoW easily. For as much hate as that game gets no matter where I go there is at least 20-30 people in the same area. It gets annoying some times when I am trying to do a mission with a low drop rate and there are five people trying to do the same quest.
    If a game - any game - uses megaserver/server cluster technology its "impossible" to guess how many people are playing based on your play experience. (Unless its very quiet in which case .....)
    Oh, sorry. I didn't know that WoW uses megaservers/server clusters.
    They call them "connected realms"; seem to remember them coming in round about the time of MoP. Since then there have been multiple changes to the clusters; quite a lot of griping on Reddit threads about "multiple server mergers". And last year they "linked" the PvP specific servers to the PvE servers to ..... "enhance the player experience" of course. And whilst such changes suggest a lower population there is no way of knowing.

And as I said in the thread I linked above comparing WoW to e.g. ESO is like comparing apples to oranges; one has a sub one doesn't - big difference. Even comparing WoW to FFXIV is akin to comparing apples to pears - since the subscription methodology is very different.

At the end of the day, as @Iselin said, as long as a game has "enough" people it doesn't matter - knowing it is making enough money is useful as well.
    Phry
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    Arterius said:
    gervaise1 said:
    Arterius said:
    gervaise1 said:
    Arterius said:
    They call them "connected realms"; seem to remember them coming in round about the time of MoP. Since then there have been multiple changes to the clusters; quite a lot of griping on Reddit threads about "multiple server mergers". And last year they "linked" the PvP specific servers to the PvE servers to ..... "enhance the player experience" of course. And whilst such changes suggest a lower population there is no way of knowing.

And as I said in the thread I linked above comparing WoW to e.g. ESO is like comparing apples to oranges; one has a sub one doesn't - big difference. Even comparing WoW to FFXIV is akin to comparing apples to pears - since the subscription methodology is very different.

At the end of the day, as @Iselin said, as long as a game has "enough" people it doesn't matter - knowing it is making enough money is useful as well.
    My question how much longer does WoW have left story wise? Will it just keep going and going? I mean I am only lvl 30  but I know in the story right now players are fighting old gods. Where do the heck do they go from there? Will we eventually hit lvl 200?
    story wise? they are pushing a long time now, the worse thing is the story should be done by now but they keep in a certain loop of make a threat, kill said threat, something else take the last threat place, then reapeat, with is worse, the threat is always a 3rd part thing trying to push
    [Deleted User]Gdemami
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • bonzoso21bonzoso21 Member UncommonPosts: 380
    edited April 2019
    Arterius said:
    gervaise1 said:
    Arterius said:
    gervaise1 said:
    Arterius said:

My question how much longer does WoW have left story wise? Will it just keep going and going? I mean I am only lvl 30  but I know in the story right now players are fighting old gods. Where do the heck do they go from there? Will we eventually hit lvl 200?
    Warcraft as an IP has enough fiction and lore for Blizzard's team of writers to draw on as long as the game remains one of the driving forces behind Acti-Blizz profits. I would imagine they have a road map of broad ideas to carry on for two or three expansions, and that they continue to add to it as their stories take shape. 

At this point, they're like a TV show that didn't have a clear end point in mind when it began, and just keeps going and going. Sometimes that results in rehashed ideas that feel like deja vu for players who have been around for many years, and sometimes they turn out something pretty cool. Either way, people keep coming back like Star Wars because they've had so much exposure to these characters that they can't turn their backs on them now. Seriously, look up 'Warcraft' on Wikipedia and check out the vast number of novels, games, and other products that expand the Warcraft fiction. Not sure about level 200, but 150? I have no doubt.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Personally i don't think WoW has half the population these days that people seem to think it has, which is why i think that ESO, FFXIV:ARR and BDO have higher population than WoW does, though the top 'game' is either ESO or FFXIV:ARR, i know some are saying Lineage etc. and they do have the numbers to probably eclipse WoW ESO FFXIV:ARR etc. its such a region specific game though, that if you excluded Korea and China it would have close to zero players. :/
    [Deleted User]klash2def
  • klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
    ESO is very healthy. 
    PhryGorweOctagon7711
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    klash2def said:
    ESO is very healthy. 
    The game may not have been that impressive at launch, but with One Tamriel etc. it changed a lot, now that players can roam freely and still have level appropriate content, it changed the game and in a very good way.  :o
    Still not happy with the magic system in the game though  :p
  • gago889gago889 Member UncommonPosts: 21
    edited April 2019
    WoW still king, 2nd ESO, 3rd BDO, 4th FF14. However I think FF14 will become 3rd soon

It's not 100% accurate but we can refer to steam to see the growing of them

ESO the 2nd: https://steamspy.com/app/306130 - 32k player pick on steam
    BDO the 3rd:https://steamspy.com/app/582660 - 18k player pick on steam
    FF14 the 4th:https://steamspy.com/app/39210 - 15.5k player pick at steam
    Post edited by gago889 on
    PhryKyleranAlbatroes
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    gago889 said:
    WoW still king, 2nd ESO, 3rd BDO, 4th FF14. However I think FF14 will become 3rd soon

It's not 100% accurate but we can refer to steam to see the growing of them

ESO the 2nd: https://steamspy.com/app/306130 - 32k player pick on steam
    BDO the 3rd:https://steamspy.com/app/582660 - 18k player pick on steam
    FF14 the 4th:https://steamspy.com/app/39210 - 15.5k player pick at steam
    Sort of like using Wikipedia to prove a point.

;)
    [Deleted User]Phry

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,818
    edited April 2019
    Life is doing pretty well, lots of lore and history, drama and emotion, war and peace. :)

Who cares what the biggest MMORPG is, it just has to be big enough?
    gunklacker