Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Another Fiasco- Transfers, Trade-Ins and Claiming disabled

Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,986

3/27:

Happy Day Elyrians!

The highly anticipated, thoroughly refined, and patiently awaited, Full Title Stack Transfers, Title Trade-ins, and Package Claiming are now live!!

3/28:
https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/30832/transfers-trade-ins-and-claiming-temporarily-disabled

3/31:

Caspian ☁Today at 6:51 PM

I didn't work on the features for the trade ins, bundling, etc. Other very smart people did. But for whatever reason, some stuff was missed. I noticed it, and had to take stuff down to make sure the problem didn't get worse. Now I'm working through our audit trails and logs to identify who was affected and repair them. Other smart people are making sure the issues are fixed for when we re-enable. All-in-all, it's been 4 straight days of stuff that I wasn't planning for, don't have time for, and while I know mistakes happen, I'm not particularly pleased about. I needed to be working on other stuff this weekend.
-------------------------------------------------------

Tossing them under the bus again. What a great boss and a true leader.   
Bodes well for the highly complex game they are designing...

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

DerryFHGaladourncraftseeker[Deleted User]Gdemami

Comments

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Scot[Deleted User]Tokken
  • virgommovirgommo Member UncommonPosts: 43
    If some intern isn't taking the time to piss in his coffee every morning, you are missing a golden opportunity (no pun intended) LOL
    bartoni33craftseekerKyleranAethaeryn[Deleted User]SlyLoKtweedledumb99[Deleted User]k61977Galadournand 2 others.
  • LackingMMOLackingMMO Member RarePosts: 664
    This is like a series of unfortunate events. This poor guy is trying to make a great game but a bunch of buffoons keep delaying things. I feel sorry for him. 
    bartoni33craftseekerSlapshot1188Aethaeryn[Deleted User]LokeroKyleranSlyLoKtweedledumb99[Deleted User]and 2 others.
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • DerryFHDerryFH Member UncommonPosts: 57
    Like W T F.. is that for real?
    Fuck sake, I always take blame for my team if something is fucked up cause I am responsible for the outcome. Maybe if someone give me 5-6M$ I would change my approach.

Any volunteers? Let's make a social experiment - fund me and we shall see if I suddently start blaming everyone else on this planet for what I have not delivered.
    craftseekerAethaerynnewbismx
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    He is in charge,he allowed it to go live ,his problem.This is why there is this term we have called >>>testing.
    They SHOULD have internal testing before stuff goes live but of course being a low budget struggling operation they will lack a lot of things that makes a business legit.
    KSR EA CF NONE of those are a proper way to build a quality game.

craftseeker[Deleted User]

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• DerryFHDerryFH Member UncommonPosts: 57
    Sad but true.. wonder why I even bother to check CoE pages.. each time they screw things it hurts and some hope is lost.
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    I like to go through the process of getting hired successfull and then deliberately mess up to get a reaction because it's funny.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Caspian should give leadership to some person who can do it.
    MadFrenchie

• WBadgerWBadger Member RarePosts: 375
    Guys, you should pity Caspian; not roast him.  Do yall know how hard it is to be the one genius amongst a bunch of neanderthals?  I bet some of those employees had the audacity to tell him that something he thought of was only "smart," and not record breaking levels of brilliance.  The nerve of those plebeians! 
    jonp200
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    It appears that there are many "smart people" working at SBS.

So smart, in fact, that they decided to dispense with QA and time-consuming "testing" of work. They're smart enough to not make mistakes, you see...
    craftseekerjonp200
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,986
    DerryFH said:
    Fuck sake, I always take blame for my team if something is fucked up cause I am responsible for the outcome. Maybe if someone give me 5-6M$ I would change my approach.

Any volunteers? Let's make a social experiment - fund me and we shall see if I suddently start blaming everyone else on this planet for what I have not delivered.
    Oh... it's real:

Caspian ☁Today at 2:12 AM

@'❥ Viaurrielle Winterlynn I'm not blaming anyone. The web team generally does good work these days. It's natural that occasionally something will get overlooked. I'm not upset that something slipped through. But I am frustrated it's required time to fix the problem(s).

Caspian ☁Today at 2:13 AM

But I can say, definitively, it wasn't me this time. 

tweedledumb99[Deleted User]

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    Can't he blame it on an April Fool's joke?
    Kyleran[Deleted User]
    Chamber of Chains
    cheyane said:
    Can't he blame it on an April Fool's joke?
    The game?
    Mendel[Deleted User]DerryFH[Deleted User]

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,990
    edited April 2019
    They are lucky to have so many smart people onboard CoE. :)

Just checking....yep got the right MMO this time.
    Slapshot1188[Deleted User]Kylerantweedledumb99[Deleted User]
  • LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    If you gave money to this unapologetic douchebag to make this game then I honestly feel sorry for you and there should be a way to get your money back easily.  This guy could not lead a janitorial team to the cleaning closet much less a project of this scope.

But when this fails he can always blame it on the smart people because he just did not have time.
    It's hardly his fault, as he has his own responsibilities on the team.  It's not like just anyone can scribble away in a little notepad and come up with awesome one-liners like "We are the storm".

Give the man a break.  He's busy with more important things, like delivering protest articles against gaming sites, etc.
    Slapshot1188
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    edited April 2019
    Looks like Discord quotes, yet another reason not to think out loud when others are listening.

Mistakes happen, but so much mockery might have been adverted if only Caspian could learn to deliver information more professionally.

Should have gone with, 'Hey guys, we discovered some issues with Transfers / Trade-ins and I am working with the team to resolve as quickly as possible, my apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused you.'

His frustrations over the delays and their root causes should have been omitted.

Gobstopper3DSlapshot1188Lokerotweedledumb99[Deleted User]Phaserlight

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• WBadgerWBadger Member RarePosts: 375
    DerryFH said:

Oh... it's real:

@'❥ Viaurrielle Winterlynn I'm not blaming anyone. The web team generally does good work these days. It's natural that occasionally something will get overlooked. I'm not upset that something slipped through. But I am frustrated it's required time to fix the problem(s).

My usual sarcasm aside, I can't understand how anyone can put any faith into this game or this guy.  Caspian is probably the least loyal to his company amongst all the game dev studios.  Sure the major publishers do these major layoffs and all; but at least the leads aren't constantly slagging on their employees the moment things don't go right.  "We fucked up," is the common line from studios when games go to shit.  Occasionally "the fans had unrealistic expectations;" but only a real scumbag of a team lead goes "I DID NOTHING WRONG, MY TEAM FUCKED UP."

He has this unrealistic expectation of how his game goes, pushes those unrealistic expectations off to his rabid fanbase citing that "WE WILL DO IT!" and then throws his team to the wolves constantly when they naturally can't do it because it's not physically possible to deliver something of substance in such a short timeframe.  Especially when said head honcho is taking you further and further away from the goal post with every comment.  Why any of his employees stay with him when he's going to make them the scapegoats at every step of the way for the game is a mystery to me.
    Slapshot1188GdemamiMendel
    Kyleran said:
    Looks like Discord quotes, yet another reason not to think out loud when others are listening.

Mistakes happen, but so much mockery might have been adverted if only Caspian could learn to deliver information more professionally.

Should have gone with, 'Hey guys, we discovered some issues with Transfers / Trade-ins and I am working with the team to resolve as quickly as possible, my apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused you.'

His frustrations over the delays and their root causes should have been omitted.

My suspicion... purely based on being a Harbinger... is that he is petrified that they are going to miss the date (early April) or otherwise screw up their big Domain and Settlement Selection which in turn ties into the big “Kickstarterversary” sale which will revolve around selling off unclaimed land and titles.   

His reactions to their repeated fuck-ups demonstrate utter insecurity.  He seems more worried about being blamed than anything else.
    Gdemami

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    edited April 2019
    ManWithNoTan[Deleted User]

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    Context is often important,  it's possible his comments were spoken in jest,  perhaps as a wry humor reference to previous mistakes he did make, and not really a blatant blame shifting remark.

I'm probably reaching here, right? ;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    WBadger said:
    DerryFH said:

Oh... it's real:

My usual sarcasm aside, I can't understand how anyone can put any faith into this game or this guy.  Caspian is probably the least loyal to his company amongst all the game dev studios.  Sure the major publishers do these major layoffs and all; but at least the leads aren't constantly slagging on their employees the moment things don't go right.  "We fucked up," is the common line from studios when games go to shit.  Occasionally "the fans had unrealistic expectations;" but only a real scumbag of a team lead goes "I DID NOTHING WRONG, MY TEAM FUCKED UP."

He has this unrealistic expectation of how his game goes, pushes those unrealistic expectations off to his rabid fanbase citing that "WE WILL DO IT!" and then throws his team to the wolves constantly when they naturally can't do it because it's not physically possible to deliver something of substance in such a short timeframe.  Especially when said head honcho is taking you further and further away from the goal post with every comment.  Why any of his employees stay with him when he's going to make them the scapegoats at every step of the way for the game is a mystery to me.
    If you think it's bad now, watch for the mass layoffs the day after this mess actually publishes, if it ever does.  Maybe Caspian and his antics are the basis of a in-development master's level course on 'How Not to Manage'.

Gdemami

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

Kyleran said:
    Context is often important,  it's possible his comments were spoken in jest,  perhaps as a wry humor reference to previous mistakes he did make, and not really a blatant blame shifting remark.

I'm probably reaching here, right? ;)

Feel free to go lock.  Dates and times are there.

If you find a different context feel free to share :)

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,990
    I have no reason to doubt someone else messed up here but what made me laugh was how many days were lost with his decision to make a voxel game in tandem with CoE? Months? Taking his colleges mistakes with grace is a lesson he should not have to learn.
    Gdemami
  • TorrskTorrsk Member UncommonPosts: 295
    This is the biggest problem with them using discord or really anyone. It's all said in the moment. Nothing is reread before they hit send, so naturally it's not hard to catch when people are stressed. 

Him saying the date of DSS. Something many of us have pointed out in the past. Is a terrible idea. Mostly cause SBS still has stuff to do. They could logically say something about DSS by the 14th, then release it by the end of the month and it would all be fine. But it's pressure they put onto themselves, wasn't needed.

While saying everything is coming "soon" has really lost all meaning. Better to say nothing over them possibly getting another delay. Doesn't take much for everything to get pushed way back. This was the perfect chance for them to finally hit a date. Build some trust back up, get everyone active again. If they miss it, well it's just another fuck up in a long line of them.
    GdemamiScot