Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mmorpg most suited for casual gameplay?

Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
let me first explain my vision of casual play in an mmo
less then 20 hours a week
discovering the world and stories
slowly building a character
And easy accessible content..

so what mmorpg would you play?

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Comments

• LheiahLheiah Member UncommonPosts: 190
    I was going to say ESO as well, but any of them really. All the mainstream games pretty much offer the same thing. Pick the aesthetic you prefer and there's your answer. Whether one subscribes to chasing numbers as the form of entertainment is a choice, not a requirement.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited March 2019
    let me first explain my vision of casual play in an mmo
    less then 20 hours a week
    discovering the world and stories
    slowly building a character
    And easy accessible content..

so what mmorpg would you play?
    Kind of vague on somethings like building character and accessible content. How do you mean building your character? Like through gear or skills. class based? non-class based? class changing? What kind of content? Solo-focused? Co-op? Large group? A single player game would hit those better regardless of the focus, but as mmorpgs are structured at their core, they all mostly play the same.

The problem comes down to the player(s) and what they perceive as important. WoW and FFXIV are prime examples of what people tend to get wrong in terms of 'accessible content' while adding this 'competitive' word which I'm honestly convinced most people dont even know what they mean when they use it. Does competitive mean clearing the current raid before the next one comes out? If it does, ask yourself why does it matter, especially when you dont even need to set foot in previous raid tiers in order to go to the next in most mmorpgs now. To see the raid? Then all you need to do regardless of the difficulty.

Ultimately, regardless of how long people can play, everyone is kept within the same bracket, which for some reason a lot of people dont understand. The only difference between a 'hardcore' player that does the most 'challenging' content in a given patch and someone who only plays through for a bit a week is that the 'hardcore' just gets things faster. When it comes down to actual player power, everyone is close together. Its getting even worse now in WoW since your entire 'progression' is pretty much made void at the start of a new raid tier simply because the gearing system was changed at the start of the teir (new ring being added to azerite gear made any 5 ring better than the highest ilvl 4 ring azerite piece).

What I tend to do now is look at static stuff in game. Unfortunately, this boils down to things that have little meaning in most mmorpgs or are completely subjective, which are: money, levels and cosmetics. Using wow as an example again, money mean so little unless you're trying to be a top raider. Levels only act as a gate for 'endgame' activities instead of something that shows any since of growth, especially with the last 2 expansions which have taken more skills aways from players vs given (from 101-120, you get no new skills). Mounts/Pets/armor are all subjective cosmetics which dont guarantee everyone will long ones that come from say the 'hardest' content in the game (like some people didn't care for the mythic mount from argus in legion).
    Kyleran
  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Definitely ESO.
    But WoW can also be enjoyed very casually too, you do not have to do hardcore raids to see all the content of the game nowadays.
    Currently doubting between ff14 and eso...  
    where the combat system in ff14 seems much more casual and less intensive..

but i got no clue about ff14 on the high end..

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,752
    With the broad criteria set in the OP most any MMO would qualify,  even EVE.

Continuous skill training on or offline and no real end game or it's all end game depending on one's viewpoint.

Well developed lore with many distinct factions, PVP and PVE opportunities of all types almost right from the start, and most can be done as casually as one likes.

The continuous skill training alone probably makes it one of the best choices for the casual player with the added bonus of letting them hone up on their spreadsheet skills.

;)

ChildoftheShadows[Deleted User]

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Definitely ESO.
    But WoW can also be enjoyed very casually too, you do not have to do hardcore raids to see all the content of the game nowadays.
    Currently doubting between ff14 and eso...  
    where the combat system in ff14 seems much more casual and less intensive..

but i got no clue about ff14 on the high end..

The problem on the list for FFXIV is the character building.  That is one area which the game lacks really anything.  There is the skills you get as you level and gear but beyond that one white mage is the same as the next white mage.  There is so much that is great about the game but if you are looking for that character building then FFXIV is not the place to look.
    Thats true..

but the multi classing system kind of replaces that, and to a casual player that should feel like continously building a character...
    Azaron_Nightblade

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,839
    Hands down GW2 Join a group stand there collect loot.

Eso can be played casual at low end and be a lot of fun if you like story.

Zzad
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,844
    If you are casual I would suggest one of the free ones. I thought ESO was garbage and regretted paying even $10 for it.
    [Deleted User]
  • boris20boris20 Member RarePosts: 404
    any mmo under 6 years old or so. 
  • ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    edited March 2019
    Don’t worry about being casual. Pick the mmo that has the gameplay you like and just play casually. I played EQ for 6 years and never even reached level 50 and I enjoyed every minute. 

But if you want to play casually and still be able to group with friends that are higher level, that’s a different story. 
    Kyleran
  • ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401
    edited March 2019
    Guild Wars 2.
    So easy to jump in and out .
    It's a huge MMO and might look overwhealming but its core sistems are design to allow anyone anywhere at anytime with an easy join.

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    FFXIV, WoW, SWTOR, ESO, GW2... you have options, friend!

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited March 2019
    I am playing it right now Atlas.I already mentioned a few times,it feels more like a RPG than actual mmorpg's.
    How many mmorpg's have housing that you can build or housing at all?Wow doesn't have housing or any building.

How many mmorpg's can you sail around in your own built ship on realistic looking water?
    How many mmorpg's have realistic scenery/mountains you can climb?

Atlas creatures move very realistic and look realistic,there lies a comparison,i prefer realism,for me it gives way better immersion however i know many claim they like cartoony better,i don't buy it.I know people in general,they go out to buy something they ALWAYS look for what looks the best,be it a car a house a skateboard a coat a hat etc etc,nobody stops and says...you know i'd like something that looks like it was made for kids,more cartoony in looks.
    \
    How many mmorpg's have immersion at all?Atlas has both immersion AND survival another thing mmorpg's do not have either.

How about ECO system?Yep Atlas has it MOST games do not.You will see the carnivores attacking the herbivores.You have meaningful weather effects.

These are what i call core basic ideas all mmorpg's should have but almost all of them don't have ANY of them,how sad is that 25 years after the genre began?

99.9% of mmorpg's do NOT immerse you in a role playing atmosphere,they are single player designs with LINEAR  transition,linear itemisation and to make things worse>>INSTANCES and then another layer of worse>>auto warping to instances...very poor mmorpg designs.

[Deleted User]bcbully

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• XatshXatsh Member RarePosts: 451
    Just pick one... they are all focused on casuals over all else. MMOs stopped focusing on hardcore/Midcore gamers along time ago.

My recommendation would be FFXIV or ESO though.
  • AlteiirAlteiir Member UncommonPosts: 33
    I recommend Guild Wars 2 for casual play. You can level in pvp, pve, or wvw. They don't increase the level cap. There isn't really a gear chase so if you log out for a year and come back your characters stats will be at the same level they were a year ago. They do add new stat combinations though.

For PvE: You can explore the world and complete the events throughout the maps. There's jumping puzzles, guild events/puzzles, living world story (on-going story every 2 months or so). There's usually trains of people event hopping and completing world bosses.
  • NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,845
    edited March 2019
    LotRO comes to mind.   The 'easy accessible content' part is a bit tricky.  While you CAN go everywhere, if fails on your 'discovering the ... and stories' part since if you don't own the region you're in you can't do the quests.  Now there are 2 quest lines that are totally free and go from the beginning of the game up to the Helm's Deep expansion that's totally free;  the Epic Quest line and the Bingo Boffin quests.   Both taken over all are pretty good stories.

The other would be Age of Conan.  Totally free content up to max level, and while no good 'overall story', some of the quests are part of a chain and once again taken over all, while not telling a story, does give a good background on the whole Hyboria experience.  It's also one of the few games where the mature content tag has to do with the quest dialogue's so unique in that respect.

Both can be played as casual as you want and as little in time as you want.   I'd have to say any game where you put the journey as being more important than getting to end game can be played that way.

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter

• LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    Personally, as far as the world went, FF14 really nailed atmosphere.  Unfortunately, it was also the most linear-locked and walled-in world.  Think: invisible walls everywhere.  Most of the zones were a decent size, though.
    I'd almost pick FF14 just to hang out in that one pirate city they have.  That place was amazing.

ESO is much more open-world, but not nearly as detailed and immersive.  Still, there was plenty to run around and discover -- hidden treasures, etc.

Combat in FF14 always felt more Everquest-like to me(for better or worse).  ESO combat is more Skyrim-like, which means it also feels pretty bland.

I haven't played either in ages, but that's my memory of the two.

Graphics-wise, both have pretty crummy character work.  Characters in GW2 and FF14 feel so "plastic" or just off in some way.  In ESO, those painted on armor textures are just so hideous.

GW2 also has a very beautiful, pretty much open world.  It's not all locked and linear like FF14 but it is zoned and not seamless.

If you want to focus on stories, I'd probably say go ESO.  It's a pretty quest/story-focused game.
    FF14's story just never really appealed to me, and the way they locked content behind it was unbearable, but I loved the world and its attention to detail.

GW2 has a storyline that could probably keep you busy for a while, but it's just one long linear quest, basically.  It's also very up-and-down.

Don't forget that there's always SWTOR, as well, for wading through stories.

Like I said, I haven't played either in ages, so things could have changed quite a bit since I last played either of those ;)
  • k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,510
    If you don't care about having the best of the best then I would say BDO believe it or not.  If you are just looking for building up a character it is pretty good in that respect through life skills.  There are quest all over the place.  Many different types also.  There are different story lines you can follow.  If you want to end up with the best of the best though rng play a huge part in upgrading weapons and armor so I would say stay away.

At one point I wouldn't have touched this because I don't like non-consensual pvp, but you don't really run into that now.  I have been PK'd 3 total times in the last month, mostly because people were trying to take over the grinding spot I was at for an event.  Other than that haven't had anyone try anything. 

It is more fun to join a guild an to randomly have people to chat with an do stuff.  You also get paid to join one. 

So if you are looking for what I would call casual with no real downfall to not being on 24-7 then it isn't a bad choice.
  • learis1learis1 Member UncommonPosts: 169
    Maplestory 2

Mend and Defend

• vtravivtravi Member UncommonPosts: 398
    All of them... MMO's are all about casuals. Literally pick any one, you will be fine
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    It used to be City of Heroes. I miss that game.

Now it would be Guild Wars 2 and WoW. 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests