Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPG.com : General : Celebrate 25 Years of The Elder Scrolls

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited March 2019 in Videos Discussion

imageMMORPG.com : General : Celebrate 25 Years of The Elder Scrolls

MMORPG.com reviews MMO and MMORPG games. We also provide news and exclusive coverage of the MMO gaming space. Our free MMO games list and discussion forums are the best site for gamers in search of a gaming community.

Read the full story here

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,011
    Just my first time in Morrowind (well 2nd, the 1st I was in a hurry and just wanted to boot up the game and ending up getting killed by accidentally hitting a passerby and being ganked. I then put the game away for 3 months) and saw the pop up that said "well, you are on your own, there's a tavern up ahead and good luck"

I found that so intriguing.

Another great experience was being a vampire and flying across the world trying desperately to find a cave or space I could hide in as the sun was coming up.

In Oblvion first seeing the Imperial city in the starter cut scene. The wonderful creepy town that was a bit lovcraftian and that whole story.

In skyrim the time I went through a dungeon which led me to the mountain side and I think a word wall. I then turned around and saw a dragon priest rise up out of the sarcophagus for the first time. I was like "whoaaaaaaaa" and then he clobbered me.

good times!

itchmonPhaserlightScotPonkuAgent_Joseph
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • LeFantomeLeFantome Member RarePosts: 692
    25 Years of The Elder Scrolls : Remaster 4K

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
     Daggerfall is still my favorite , i still have the jewel case and 500 page manual
    TheocritusPhaserlightCyberFrog3domScotXarkoAgent_Joseph
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    I'M playing Morrowind again after years of not thinking about it. That game at launch hooked me in for a straight two years. I didn't play anything else. Now playing again is great because i found this patch that lets you play it with more resolution settings for wide screen monitors. So i'm going to play through with no other mods to keep it vanilla. Should be interesting with game of the year edition all the expansions.
    PhaserlightPonkuAgent_Joseph
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    I thought Morrowind was very easy....Once you got to that one cave, you had all the best gear in the game.....Daggerfall was much more adventurous and fun I thought.
    ScorchienHariken
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    edited March 2019
    Polygon is featuring a tome worthy oral history of Morrowind, among my favorite games of all time:

https://www.polygon.com/2019/3/27/18281082/elder-scrolls-morrowind-oral-history-bethesda
    ScotPonku

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
    Say what you want but as a ES fan this video is touching. Reminds you why you love Elder Scrolls, I hope they really nail it with TES6 that tech shot of Grandma looked pretty good, (btw I'm so happy they are doing that)  they said they are also using a new photo real technology so I'm not going to say I'm excited but.. I'm excited. I cant help it. 
    [Deleted User]Agent_Joseph
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

• perrin82perrin82 Member UncommonPosts: 285
    Morrowind is the greatest game ever made And yes, this is my opinion.
    PhaserlightHarikenAgent_Joseph
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

perrin82 said:

Morrowind is the greatest game ever made And yes, this is my opinion.

I have to agree. I had many late night sessions with it back in the day. Before Morrowind most rpg's were top down view games. I still remember that launch trailer blowing away me and all my friends. I know alot of people love oblivion and skyrim but to me those two were easy mode. And people complain about the dice roll combat. I freaking loved it because it made sense that at lvl one you sucked with a weapon because you had to learn it through use. Today rpg's don't do that anymore. Once you mastered a weapon in Morrowind you never missed.
  • RynetRynet Member UncommonPosts: 114
    Daggerfall is massive in sheer size and the number of towns.. Here's a quote about the size.

"Daggerfall is the second to largest Elder Scrolls game to date, surpassed only by The Elder Scrolls: Arena, featuring a game world 161,600 square kilometers (62,394 square miles) — roughly half the size of Great Britain — with over 15,000 towns, cities, villages, and dungeons for the player's character to explore."
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,981
    These games have redefined what RPG's are, they are a testament to the importance of open world and lore in gaming. They have shown the potential of partnership between developers and modders.

But what is the future of such games? You will no doubt have noticed that while we get one Assassins Creed, SoM and all the others a year we are still waiting for another ES game. No matter what happens we had our day in the sun, in a land of storied lore.
  • CygiCygi Member RarePosts: 257
    "What are your favorite memories from the Elder Scrolls games?"

The music.
    My God, the music.

Jeremy Soule is nailing it in every chapter he puts his hands on.

'Streets of Whiterun' is simply flawless.
    PonkuScot[Deleted User]
  • PonkuPonku Member UncommonPosts: 8
    Among other things - the books in game. I played Morrowind - game with one of the best graphics at the time, and i was travelling around the world looking for an in-game book, because i just had to know what happened with Barenziah in the next tome.

Ponku said:

Among other things - the books in game. I played Morrowind - game with one of the best graphics at the time, and i was travelling around the world looking for an in-game book, because i just had to know what happened with Barenziah in the next tome.

OMG Joshua's rare book shop in Vivec was a place i would just hang out in and read books. I did that in a game lol. The place was so cozy.
    PonkuKhorrax
    edited March 2019

I thought Morrowind was very easy....Once you got to that one cave, you had all the best gear in the game.....Daggerfall was much more adventurous and fun I thought.

I don't know what cave your talking about. But i remember getting my butt kicked many times because the game had no level scaling. You would run into mobs that were just tougher then you. I remember this one ruin down from fort monmoth where a female npc would hit so hard my character went down on his knees then her next hit with her two hand sword would just kill me. It took me 6 or 7 levels to finally kill her. I thought she must be using enchanted stuff and couldn't wait to loot her. She just had a full suit of steel armor and a silver sword.
    Sovrath
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,981
    Hariken said:

I don't know what cave your talking about. But i remember getting my butt kicked many times because the game had no level scaling. You would run into mobs that were just tougher then you. I remember this one ruin down from fort monmoth where a female npc would hit so hard my character went down on his knees then her next hit with her two hand sword would just kill me. It took me 6 or 7 levels to finally kill her. I thought she must be using enchanted stuff and couldn't wait to loot her. She just had a full suit of steel armor and a silver sword.
    Modding can cause memories to differ, there was a scale to my level mod and a realistic drops mod for example.
    edited March 2019
    I do know that i wasn't using any mods back then and i also think it was before they added the difficulty slider. I could be wrong on that. I thought that slider came later with an update. If anyone remembers let me know. I do know that the scaling back then was what mobs you could run into at certain levels and Cliff racers were the place mat for it. But i don't think it included npc's.
    Post edited by Hariken on
  • Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    main favorite fantasy universe,just hard to select only one moment from any TES game
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    I really liked Arena. There was just nothing else like it 25 years ago when it came out.

I loved playing my Sorcerer that back in those days couldn't regen magicka but absorbed what otherwise would be magic damage to replenish it's magicka pool. You just had to make sure you only maxed your pool (potions and absorbing spells) just before you were ready to unload your nukes so you could stay magic damage immune most of the time.

He also had 1.5 times more possible magicka than any other class so you could go crazy with spell crafting and dream up some very magicka-costly nukes that just destroyed whole rooms :)

There was also very little on line about it, such as "on-line" was back then (Compuserve, America Online, etc.) and just a basic manual. You just figured things out on your own. I liked that too. 
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
    Nice Video, I played about 100 hours of Morrowind, about 50 Oblivion and spent more time modding Skyrim than playing it LOL, Problem is once i started playing the Dragon ages, the Mass Effects, and especially the Witchers it is so very hard to come back to Elder scrolls
    Agent_Joseph