Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dishing out the justice.

KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
While no amount of punishment will bring the victim's family any relief, perhaps it will send a strong message to those who consider doing this to think again. 

Turns out this douche was a "serial swatter," such a weird world we live in.

:# 

"26-year-old California resident Tyler Barriss has been sentenced to 20 years in prison today after pleading guilty to placing a swatting call that led to the death of a 28-year-old father of two in Kansas."

"Barriss was apparently known as a "serial swatter" according to his attorney, having swatted others before and had other cases filed against him in California and the District of Columbia, though none of these previous swatting calls resulted in a death. However, this as well as a history of calling in bomb threats caused prosecutors to add 46 new charges to his case in October of last year."

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-03-29-man-responsible-for-fatal-swatting-call-sentenced-to-20-years

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

HatefullScotUngoodsquibbly

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,353
    Hopefully the media attention along with the prison sentence will discourage potential future swatters.
    ScotHatefullAlBQuirkysquibbly
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited March 2019
     He wont  live 20 years in  GP , matter a fact , i predict we reading he was killed inside 1 year..

Then Justice will have truly been Dished out
    sacredcow4squibbly
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    I read about that today at work.  Glad to see he got a solid punishment.  
    HatefullUngoodsquibbly

• GrimulaGrimula Member UncommonPosts: 644
    https://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/comment/7461593/#Comment_7461593

already been threads about this on the Main page
    Arterius said:
    Scorchien said:
     He wont  live 20 years in  GP , matter a fact , i predict we reading he was killed inside 1 year..

What's GP?

Edit: General Population. Just realized haha
    Yes, and he was sentenced to federal prison as well.  I definitely feel it was a fair punishment.

This is why you don't do stupid shit or be a shitty person, in person or over the internet.
    Hatefull[Deleted User]AlBQuirkysquibbly

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    Will he serve the full 20 years or be out sooner? This guy deserves way more than 20 he got an innocent man killed bloody arsehole.
    Chamber of Chains
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    edited March 2019
    cheyane said:
    Will he serve the full 20 years or be out sooner? This guy deserves way more than 20 he got an innocent man killed bloody arsehole.
    I think 20 years is enough. We should reserve life sentences for people who killed intentionally, or people who were already in prison once and then committed another crime. Someone who caused a death because he though it was fun to disregard rules should get a shorter sentence.

EDIT: Also we should remember that he had already swatted multiple times and apparently no official decided it was dangerous enough that he should be imprisoned immediately.

Giving a harsher sentence now would be like "We knew what you were doing and could have prevented it, but we didn't understand how dangerous it was either, so now we're going to take vengeance on you because it'll make us feel better". It's not a solution. The solution is to learn from our mistake and stop the next swatter sooner.
    Palebane

I don't think there's much of a deterrence difference between 20 years and 25 years.  No one is going to say, it's worth 20 years in prison to be a swatter, but not worth 25 years.  If they think it's worth trying at all, it's because they think they won't get caught, and even the death penalty wouldn't deter them.

Meanwhile, this doesn't strike me as the sort of crime that will have a high risk of recidivism.  Even if he gets paroled after 10 years, he's unlikely to think it was worth it, and let's go do it again.  Now that he has a criminal record and is known to authorities to be a swatter, it would be much harder to get away with it next time.

If recidivism were the primary issue (lock him up so that he can't do it again), then parole after some years with restrictions that the authorities can record every phone call he makes would handle that.  If he gets caught evading the restrictions, even for an innocent call, that's a parole violation, so lock him up for the rest of the 20 years.

That leaves only the question of whether the demands of retributive justice calls for a harsher penalty.  There, I'd say that 20 years is enough, but would respect that someone else might disagree.
    Quizzical said:
    I don't think there's much of a deterrence difference between 20 years and 25 years.  No one is going to say, it's worth 20 years in prison to be a swatter, but not worth 25 years.  If they think it's worth trying at all, it's because they think they won't get caught, and even the death penalty wouldn't deter them.

Meanwhile, this doesn't strike me as the sort of crime that will have a high risk of recidivism.  Even if he gets paroled after 10 years, he's unlikely to think it was worth it, and let's go do it again.  Now that he has a criminal record and is known to authorities to be a swatter, it would be much harder to get away with it next time.

If recidivism were the primary issue (lock him up so that he can't do it again), then parole after some years with restrictions that the authorities can record every phone call he makes would handle that.  If he gets caught evading the restrictions, even for an innocent call, that's a parole violation, so lock him up for the rest of the 20 years.

That leaves only the question of whether the demands of retributive justice calls for a harsher penalty.  There, I'd say that 20 years is enough, but would respect that someone else might disagree.
    In general, the idea of getting caught is a much stronger deterrent for most any crime than is the severity of the punishment.

I think this will set a precedent that will certainly discourage future swatters.  It's no longer a consequence-free shitty behavior anymore, and you could literally lose 1/5th of your entire life to federal prison for doing it.  If others believe there's a good chance they'll be caught when doing it, I don't think many will believe it worth the trouble.

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    edited March 2019
    Scorchien said:

I highly doubt that.

What do you think? Federal penitentiary is full of empathetic gamers looking to exact justice on a guy who went too far? :D

Hatefullsquibbly
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Scorchien said:

I highly doubt that. There's no case that can be made for him to not be treated as a regular inmate.

What do you think? Federal penitentiary is full of empathetic gamers looking to exact justice on a guy who went to far? :D

I think i spent 18 months in Fed Prison for assault , this guy will be looked at as a low level punk who has proven himself to be a coward multiple times , he will tested very quickly , I dont see it ending well for him ... Time will tell
    Scorchien said:
    Scorchien said:

I highly doubt that. There's no case that can be made for him to not be treated as a regular inmate.

What do you think? Federal penitentiary is full of empathetic gamers looking to exact justice on a guy who went to far? :D

I think i spent 18 months in Fed Prison for assault , this guy will be looked at as a low level punk who has proven himself to be a coward multiple times , he will tested very quickly , I dont see it ending well for him ... Time will tell
    "What you in for?"

"Um, I was playing video games and called the police on some guy who didn't do anything and he got killed"

:D
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011
    edited March 2019
    Not condoning what dude did, but why are they so vague about the police that actually shot and killed the guy? Is that normal procedure for a bomb threat? I dont think the telephone call is what killed him, it was a bullet that killed him and not a bullet from the guy who is now in prison.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Palebane said:
    Not condoning what dude did, but why are they so vague about the police that actually shot and killed the guy? Is that normal procedure for a bomb threat? I dont think the telephone call is what killed him, it was a bullet that killed him and not a bullet from the guy who is now in prison.
    If you were told you are responding to a shooting and hostage situation would you be so calm and collected that every time you responded to such a call there would be no danger you would shoot an innocent man?

I would be bricking it.
  • HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    Scorchien said:

Eh, they will test him certainly, no one gets out of that, but I doubt very much he will end up dead. In state prison, I would say he had a real good chance of getting killed, but I find you have a lot more..."thinkers" in Fed. But who knows? He won't know the rules going in, he will fuck up, most likely end up owing somebody...or calling someone a punk, all easy ways to die.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

edited March 2019
    Scot said:
    Palebane said:
    If you were told you are responding to a shooting and hostage situation would you be so calm and collected that every time you responded to such a call there would be no danger you would shoot an innocent man?

I would be bricking it.
    Pretty sure those people are trained not to kill innocent people, so what went wrong in this case? Was the guy being mouthy? There are many places to shoot a person without killing them.
    Asm0deus

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

Palebane said:
    The problem is that the police are sometimes sent into a very dangerous situation.  The whole idea of swatting is to try to convince the police that they're going into the most dangerous, urgent situation that you possibly can.  That it's hard to detect a hoax that is designed specifically to prevent you from realizing that it's a hoax isn't an indictment of the police.

With the benefit of hindsight, we now know that the police officer mishandled the situation.  But that relies on knowing what we know now and he didn't know in the heat of the moment.  When you're thrust into a situation where you know that you might have to shoot someone quickly to save the life of another, innocent person, you're going to be on edge.  Put enough people into that sort of situation often enough and they'll make some mistakes--whether shooting an innocent person or acting too slowly to prevent a criminal from murdering someone.  That's something that soldiers sometimes have to deal with when fighting wars, too.

In a situation like that, it would be very hard to build a criminal case against the police officer who shot the guy.  Maybe he could be fired for being bad at his job, but you shouldn't prosecute someone for making a good-faith effort to do a tough job as best as he can.  I'm not sufficiently familiar with the details of the case or standard police procedures to know if he should have been (or was) fired.
    ScotHatefullsquibbly
    "Hey guys lets take a random call at face value and run out guns blazing. What could go wrong? Besides retards on MMORPG.com will totally not hold us accountable in any way." -Officer

"Shouldn't we at least put our ear to the door to hear if anything is going on or something?" -Rookie

"Shut up ROOK weapons hot. There's ISIS and different color gangbangers raping children in there!!" -Officer
    mmolousquibblyJeffSpicoli

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Quizzical said:
    Palebane said:
    The problem is that the police are sometimes sent into a very dangerous situation.  The whole idea of swatting is to try to convince the police that they're going into the most dangerous, urgent situation that you possibly can.  That it's hard to detect a hoax that is designed specifically to prevent you from realizing that it's a hoax isn't an indictment of the police.

With the benefit of hindsight, we now know that the police officer mishandled the situation.  But that relies on knowing what we know now and he didn't know in the heat of the moment.  When you're thrust into a situation where you know that you might have to shoot someone quickly to save the life of another, innocent person, you're going to be on edge.  Put enough people into that sort of situation often enough and they'll make some mistakes--whether shooting an innocent person or acting too slowly to prevent a criminal from murdering someone.  That's something that soldiers sometimes have to deal with when fighting wars, too.

In a situation like that, it would be very hard to build a criminal case against the police officer who shot the guy.  Maybe he could be fired for being bad at his job, but you shouldn't prosecute someone for making a good-faith effort to do a tough job as best as he can.  I'm not sufficiently familiar with the details of the case or standard police procedures to know if he should have been (or was) fired.
    I dont disagree, and please dont think i don't realize the brevity of that line of work. Im mostly confused by the length if sentence caused by someone else’s mistake. Sure the police wouldnt have been there if not for the jackass pranker, and I don’t blame the policeman for his death of course.

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,405
    Quizzical said:
    Palebane said:
    ....snip....

Agreed. I do think though there needs to be more oversight and better training being done.

If you look across the board there an unusually high number if bad incidents involving police officers...some of them because some people make it through training and become cops when they shouldn't in the first place and others because they now seem to be trained to shoot first, ask question later....they are suppose to deescalate things and shooting is suppose to be a last resort.

I think in this particular case the issue was training but like I said there are many cops who should not be and they don't all get caught out by the FBI like these two did  https://www.northjersey.com/story/news/paterson-press/2019/03/27/drug-dealing-paterson-nj-cop-ruben-mcausland-faces-up-50-years-sentencing/3285905002/    and far too often "get away" with things.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

What  about the guy who hired this idiot ? Is he getting any jail time?
    Chamber of Chains
    edited March 2019
    Vrika said:
    cheyane said:
    I think 20 years is enough. We should reserve life sentences for people who killed intentionally, or people who were already in prison once and then committed another crime. Someone who caused a death because he though it was fun to disregard rules should get a shorter sentence.

EDIT: Also we should remember that he had already swatted multiple times and apparently no official decided it was dangerous enough that he should be imprisoned immediately.

Giving a harsher sentence now would be like "We knew what you were doing and could have prevented it, but we didn't understand how dangerous it was either, so now we're going to take vengeance on you because it'll make us feel better". It's not a solution. The solution is to learn from our mistake and stop the next swatter sooner.
    I  think many find crimes like this an accident or facilitation by lack of care or negligence. People who talk on the phone, drink and drive or  while driving not paying attention and try to pick something up off the floor of the car  and kill folk and never consider themselves having really committed a crime.

You know what, people who premeditate and kill deserve death not long imprisonments. I am for the death penalty for people who commit murder but this fella is a serial swatter and he knew what he was doing and the risks involved. He deserves what he got and he should go in longer in my opinion. Like I said the crimes you mentioned deserve death.

Also every time you get behind a wheel of car and hold a phone and don't pay attention or get drunk and drive, these people all manage to take away innocent lives and don't nearly get punished enough.
    squibbly
    Chamber of Chains
  • bonzoso21bonzoso21 Member UncommonPosts: 380
    Quizzical said:
    Palebane said:

The details that came out definitely showed a mishandled police response to me, but more overall than just with the guy who fired the shot (he only fired a single round, claimed he was given almost no information about the situation before or after arriving on the scene, etc). 

The swatter called a Wichita PD non-emergency line from VoiP in Los Angeles, who then transferred him to 911. 911 had no gps on the call, but showed a Wichita call origination since their call came in from the municipal offices. 

The swatter gave a Wichita address, and when asked by 911 to describe the home, specifically said it was a single-story house. The actual home they arrived at was 2 stories. While officers were surrounding the home, and apparently before anyone took charge of the scene, instructed the officers, or tried to make contact inside, the homeowner noticed the commotion outside and opened his front door to see what was going on, was shouted at by a bunch of cops and freaked out a bit, and was shot once through the heart. 
    Gorwe
    edited March 2019
    "Hey guys lets take a random call at face value and run out guns blazing. What could go wrong? Besides retards on MMORPG.com will totally not hold us accountable in any way." -Officer

"Shouldn't we at least put our ear to the door to hear if anything is going on or something?" -Rookie

"Shut up ROOK weapons hot. There's ISIS and different color gangbangers raping children in there!!" -Officer
    I would not go so far as to say approaching the door in that manner if there are hostages.

However, I think it would've been fairly obvious the man was confused as he exited the home at their request, and simply seeing his hands go up and down doesn't seem (to me) to be sufficient action to open fire on someone.

Assuming they had weapons drawn and aimed, the guy would've had to been a former special forces operative to have a realistic chance of drawing, aiming, and firing in any kind of accurate manner before a trained officer with his gun pointed at the suspect opened fire.  Even then, if the officer doesn't have poor reaction time, he should be able to fire upon the suspect before the suspect is able to fire an accurate round and, indeed, likely before the suspect was able to fire at all.

At present, police are trained any movement not expressly commanded by them can damn near be seen as a commitment to violence.  That's a little far-fetched in my mind.

EDIT- that said, I don't condemn the officer as much as I condemn the social climate and training given by the police department to that officer.  By and large, officers have been trained to carry too itchy a trigger finger.  Considering the facts of the case don't even say he was reaching for a pocket or his waist (says he merely "stopped" raising his hands before raising them all the way up), I find it hard to believe they truly should've felt he was attempting to pull a weapon.  EDIT2- sorry, it appears the cops claimed he reached for his waistband.  The man's mother claims he did not, but merely stopped raising his hands short of placing them above his head.
    squibbly

Palebane said:
    Quizzical said:
    Palebane said:

I dont disagree, and please dont think i don't realize the brevity of that line of work. Im mostly confused by the length if sentence caused by someone else’s mistake. Sure the police wouldnt have been there if not for the jackass pranker, and I don’t blame the policeman for his death of course.
    One of the reasons that swatting is illegal is that it creates an unnecessary and unacceptable risk that it might kill someone, even if you didn't intend to kill anyone.  Drunk driving is illegal for that reason, too.

When it actually does kill someone, then it's manslaughter.  That will get you some years in prison right there.

That the culprit had a history of doing this and this just happened to be the first time it killed anyone surely justified a stiffer sentence than if it was the first time he had ever tried this.
    Palebanesquibbly