Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rend Blasts Out of Early Access & Into Full Release After Today's Update - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited March 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageRend Blasts Out of Early Access & Into Full Release After Today's Update - MMORPG.com

Frostkeep Studios promised its community that Rend would not live in early access in perpetuity. Today, developers are keeping that promise with the game blasting out of early access and into full release. The team has not only kept its word about leaving early access in record time, but has done so after 50+ game patches and nine major content updates, the latest of which is launching today in celebration of full retail release.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited March 2019
    Oh look, something else actually came out of Early Access. Its like a Christmas miracle. Jokes aside, how far has it come? Like is it actually good? Or Ark levels of functional?
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,820
    Albatroes said:
    Oh look, something else actually came out of Early Access. Its like a Christmas miracle. Jokes aside, how far has it come? Like is it actually good? Or Ark levels of functional?
    And better question:

Does it take the suck out of survival, as they had promised, or is sucking as inherent to the genre as I believe it to be?
  • BluntedJBluntedJ Member UncommonPosts: 26
    I don't think Frostkeep kept up with this article. The game is still $29.99 on Steam. The last listed update is March 9, 2019. However, it no longer says "Early Access Title". Maybe the update is coming later today (it's 3:20 p.m. EST as I write this)?
  • LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    Oof, those reviews...
    Sounds like the game is already dead and abandoned.  We all know how often games recover from that state.

Given the seemingly awful state of the game, I wonder if it could just be that "going live" was the official "we are finished working on it" statement.
    [Deleted User]Tokkenxybedout
  • DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701
    looks like its only 10 bucks right now on steam, but from what i read the population is very very low.
    Tokken
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882
    A 67% discount feels like they're celebrating launch and holding a bankruptcy sale at the same time.
    BruceYeeTokkenvelimiriusRemyVorenderMensur

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I would be very skeptical of any developer pretending to be a legit operation.

WHat i predicted the first time i saw this gimmick was that it would soak up the dollars for as long as it could,then when the cash flow comes to a halt,time to call on the release news in hopes of new customers.

I have not followed the game so only those that have been playing it would know if the updates were recent or they went through this long delay in cash flow so now a new marketing approach to stir up new interest.

I don't 100% blame developers for all the scummy moves they try and pull off,this is an extremely flooded industry,every genre has too many games all doing the same thing.
    So is this a legit turnover from constant updates to a release day or is it just a new cash flow marketing ploy?

Personally i found my niche survival game,i feel the creatures in Atlas look better than any other survival game,yes even better than Ark but of course some creatures in Ark look pretty good as well.Not only do creatures look great,they move realistically,they move like they are a true living organism within the game world.I am not surprised though the designer made a mmorpg that was all about historical accuracy so yeah he aims for Mythological realism,which appeals to me.

Rend sort of has that Blizzard look,sort of cartoony,that style just never appeals to me.Rend is not THAT BAD but i feel Atlas is just a better game at least for me.
    TacticalZombeh

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Lol kind of reminds me of when Ark celebrated coming out of EA by doubling the game's price with the expansions separate.
    Tokken
  • vanderghastvanderghast Member UncommonPosts: 308
    So ridiculously tired of this stupid survival genre.
    JHLotBAeanderTokkenViper482MaurgrimcheyanegoemoeKyleran
  • Asch126Asch126 Member RarePosts: 543
    Just another bad survival game.
    Viper482
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347
    So you're telling me that survival games themselves often don't survive?
    kikoodutroa8cheyaneIlayaKyleran
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,547
    edited March 2019
    good for them! I haven't heard much about the game for awhile...... must not be good if it's just 10 bucks now.

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,056
    Can the survival genre please kindly die already?
    MaurgrimKyleran
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,625
    So many survival game haters here..

I tend to like them mostly because:

-Creatively inspires me to build something
    -Intense situations keeping me on my toes
    -Usually some form of PvP involved
    -Big open maps to explore

Ok haters - your turn - why do you hate the genre?
    jimmywolfMaurgrimMensur
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    I still find the negative reactions to the survival genre interesting. Out of all the genres out there the survival one shares the most DNA with the MMORPG genre, it even solves a lot of “issues” many of these sites users have been complaining about.

I don’t want to be the hero. Check
    I want grouping to be encouraged. Check
    I want to be able to build in the world. Check
    I want a real sense of danger. Check
    I want meaningful interaction. Check
    I want to create my own stories. Check
    I want a seamless world. Check

The survival genre ticks a LOT of boxes, more then most current MMORPGs do, do we want those to disappear too?

Of course mechanics in the genre are still too clunky and copycat syndrom is real, but so is it in the MMORPG genre. Scale too is still too small with about a 100 players but games like Atlas and New World are already challenging that. The genre will evolve and once it does, and I have been saying this many times, it will be the next step in the MMORPG evolution. And when punching bushes mechanics go the way of the dodo and more sophisticated systems are introduced I think we have exciting times ahead of us.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    [Deleted User]colera1333SBFordmikeb0817Kyleran
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    mcrippins said:

lahnmir said:
    I still find the negative reactions to the survival genre interesting. Out of all the genres out there the survival one shares the most DNA with the MMORPG genre, it even solves a lot of “issues” many of these sites users have been complaining about.

The survival genre ticks a LOT of boxes, more then most current MMORPGs do, do we want those to disappear too?

Of course mechanics in the genre are still too clunky and copycat syndrom is real, but so is it in the MMORPG genre. Scale too is still too small with about a 100 players but games like Atlas and New World are already challenging that. The genre will evolve and once it does, and I have been saying this many times, it will be the next step in the MMORPG evolution. And when punching bushes mechanics go the way of the dodo and more sophisticated systems are introduced I think we have exciting times ahead of us.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    You both completely glossed over the actual core of the survival genre... the "survival" part. 
    I think most people who don't like survival games dislike that area.  The commonly referenced "punching trees" and food/drink meters, etc.

I personally love crafting and building stuff, but a lot of survival games turn the food/drink/harvesting elements into a tedious horror show.  Some even go so far as to have random events that screw you for no real reason.

So, while they may have similar elements, there's a huge difference in feel and playstyle.  I don't personally "hate" survival games or anything, but there are some serious flaws in many of them that turn people away.

A well-made and balanced survival system can be a lot of fun... but most survival games take things to the extreme.
    Maurgrimkikoodutroa8[Deleted User]sschrupp
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Lokero said:
    mcrippins said:

lahnmir said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    You both completely glossed over the actual core of the survival genre... the "survival" part. 
    I think most people who don't like survival games dislike that area.  The commonly referenced "punching trees" and food/drink meters, etc.

I personally love crafting and building stuff, but a lot of survival games turn the food/drink/harvesting elements into a tedious horror show.  Some even go so far as to have random events that screw you for no real reason.

So, while they may have similar elements, there's a huge difference in feel and playstyle.  I don't personally "hate" survival games or anything, but there are some serious flaws in many of them that turn people away.

A well-made and balanced survival system can be a lot of fun... but most survival games take things to the extreme.
    I didn’t gloss over it, hence mentioning the punching bushes in my post. It needs to be replaced with something more refined.

As to the survival aspect itself, I think its a great stimulation for grouping, to enforce that feeling of not being the hero, for meaningful interaction and story telling. I think the survival part is integral to the experience and all of it would fall flat without it. The mechanics and systems used are crude and sometimes frustrating still, this needs to be improved and I am pretty sure they will in time.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir 
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• colera1333colera1333 Member UncommonPosts: 8
    People bash survival but have been happily playing the same game for 20 years in other genres. Almost zero innovation across the board and almost everyone gobbles it up. Can't blame the devs. People fear change and shit on anything that isn't familiar so the devs play it safe.

Not defending Rend (I have no idea if its any good) but I think it's hilarious that people might bash this genre then go play Anthem or the Division etc.

I think it's even more hilarious that some on this site glorify these retreads as if there was any effort put into them at all. Borderlands 3 yay! Wake up. We've already played Borderlands 3.

I digress. Lol ☺️
    SBFordJippiijoo
  • MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,324

mcrippins said:

They are ALL the same just different skin.
  • kikoodutroa8kikoodutroa8 Member RarePosts: 565
    The steam reviews are extremely positive about that game!
  • NazloklessNazlokless Member UncommonPosts: 40
    edited March 2019

Some even go so far as to have random events that screw you for no real reason.

I hate that stuff in the genre.
  • RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    When I played this game 6 months ago, it became quickly apparent that it had little chance of survival. I give it 4 months.

Joined - July 2004

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,547

mcrippins said:

I tend to like survival games b/c they usually are open world sandbox type game. I enjoy the freedom and exploration. I get tired of those games that are punishing for micromanaging food and water consumption.
    mcrippinsKyleran

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• AlteiirAlteiir Member UncommonPosts: 33
    I think I played about 130 hours when this first came out. The map was fairly large for what it is. A lot of the enemies hit pretty hard. Some hit way too hard. The pacing is what makes this game kind of boring to me. You grind rocks, trees, plants for hours to get tokens to upgrade your faction.

(This could have changed) The thing that makes the game unplayable in my opinion is how you win your campaigns. During the night cycle you collect wisps and throw them into your factions tree. That is it. It didn't give me any incentive to go to the enemy base and get their spirits. Just more mindless collecting.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,067
    DMKano said:
    Yeah no. This is a turd in a punchbowl. Avoid. 
    Jeez, you've ruined punchbowls forever for me.
    [Deleted User]QuizzicalKyleran
    Chamber of Chains