Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Swatter gets 20 years in prison

Comments

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Blame the cop if you want.  I don't.  That punk was the impetus for the whole thing.
    [Deleted User]HatefullAzaron_Nightblade
  • TiamatRoarTiamatRoar Member RarePosts: 1,685
    Excellent.
  • GrimulaGrimula Member UncommonPosts: 644
    edited March 2019
    thats awsome  =)  

maybe people will think twice before becoming(Psychotic) Angry over a video game  hahahahah

(Hopefully that $1.50 bet was worth 20 years in jail)   Have a Nice day !!

RIP person who got killed,  always soo sad to hear about a death  =(
    Hatefull
  • TiamatRoarTiamatRoar Member RarePosts: 1,685
    Hmm, looks like the defense requested 20 years, while the prosecutors requested 25.  Kinda wish he got the latter, although I'm not sure an extra 5 years makes that much of a difference anyways. Either way, hopefully this will cause others to think twice before doing this sort of crap.  And I'm glad they're still attempting to prosecute the others involved for trying to assist in the cover-up.  I hope they succeed.

Such a stupid thing to do, over a $1.50 bet.

(that said, while I think 20 years is good enough for this one incident, apparently the swatter has a history of doing these sorts of things, in which case I kinda wish he got 50+ years)
    [Deleted User]
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    [Deleted User]dragonlee66MadFrenchie
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • JangletoothJangletooth Newbie CommonPosts: 11
    I quit playing first person shooters because I don't trust people these days.  They don't seem to understand the difference between real life and their online world.  Their behavior is beyond disrespectful, and continues to be a platform for all sorts of hate speech. 

I grew up poor, and remain poor to this day, despite being a fairly hard worker.  I know how many people struggle when they aren't born to privilege.  I understand consequences, and have endured at least two major tragedies in my life.  After so many experiences, I feel as if I can't trust our young people anymore.  

This is a sad story, and over a bet of $1.50.   People often project their hardships into their gaming.  Having a bad day?  Maybe acknowledge you aren't your best self and take a break.  When did these people begin to think it was a good idea to call SWAT!?  How would that even cross someone's mind? 

I stayed out of trouble after some really rough years.  Sometimes i think I should have stayed in the military, but not so sure anymore if I ever should have served in the first place.  I imagine this country needs to "lose" eventually, like the old European powers did.  Rebuild a better society, let our young understand consequences and respect for one another, no matter their differences, both physical and ideological.  

Sorry, am ranting now, just read about this and it upset me.  Unfathomable. 
    [Deleted User]Phaserlight
    I hope this sentencing sends an important message and possibly saves lives.
    Asm0deus
    Technology is outpacing our laws.
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Now... what to do about non video game people weaponizing badly trained police against other citizens.

AlmostLancelotAsm0deusPalebaneJeffSpicoli
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • dragonlee66dragonlee66 Member UncommonPosts: 28
    About time people need to learn there are consequences
    Hatefull

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    He was sentenced for violating laws that have been in place for years.
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
    edited March 2019
    Grunty said:
    That is not the whole truth.  They used old laws because they didnt have a precedent.   That's why the old laws were much smaller sentences.  20 years is more than twice of any precedent for those old laws.  Rightfully, there was an example made.

The system in place for those old laws had not been changed for over 50 years.

updated to add just one of several interesting links on the matter.
    https://www.npr.org/2018/01/11/577074478/big-tech-improvements-to-911-system-raises-the-risk-of-more-swatting

Grunty said:
    That is not the whole truth.  They used old laws because they didnt have a precedent.   That's why the old laws were much smaller sentences.  20 years is more than twice of any precedent for those old laws.  Rightfully, there was an example made.

https://www.npr.org/2018/01/11/577074478/big-tech-improvements-to-911-system-raises-the-risk-of-more-swatting

No precedent?  He pled guilty to 51 U.S. Federal charges and still faces prosecution for state charges.  Those 'old' laws did a mighty fine job of putting the ass behind bars for half his life.
    Octagon7711
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
    Grunty said:
    Grunty said:

No precedent?  He pled guilty to 51 U.S. Federal charges and still faces prosecution for state charges.  Those 'old' laws did a mighty fine job of putting the ass behind bars for half his life.

This isnt the thread for an argument.  You are welcome to read the linked article as well as commit to the research.  There is a wealth of information right now about this.  Please be respectful.
    edited March 2019
    Additionally, you seem to not comprehend the original statement, and its context to begin with.  There really is no controversy here in this thread.  Why are you creating weird arguments?  I can only assume there is a simple misunderstanding :) 

I think you misunderstand my statement for something other than it's meaning.  Our system is not designed yet to PREVENT these things from happening.  There is a ton of NEW legislation since 2015 to deal with the issue.  There are dozens of articles about this.  Very simple.

The articles themselves state the legal system had fallen behind our technology.  Not a controversial statment.
    How have I been disrespectful to you?  I disagree with your statement.  That is not disrespectful.  
    Hatefull
    Have a nice evening, i wish you well.  You werent disrespectful to me.   I meant respect the thread.  Not the right place for arguing.  Especially when you havent read any information on the issue to begin with.
    @MightyUnclean
    Have I been disrespectful of your thread?  I can wait until you get over your hangover.
    Hatefull
    It's not my thread.  And i'm not drunk.  This conversation is over.
    edited March 2019
    Hint:  @MightyUnclean is the original poster.

Now I'm being snarky.
    Hatefull
  • AlmostLancelotAlmostLancelot Member UncommonPosts: 135
    Should have been life, tbh.
    Hatefull
    Wuuuuuuuut I'm still drinking and I'm totally lost!
    Grunty
    Wuuuuuuuut I'm still drinking and I'm totally lost!
    Have fun.  Drink as much water as you possibly can before going to bed.
    DakeruPhryHatefull
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    edited March 2019
    I told people he wouldn't get life in prision, he will also likely get out before 20 years or at 20 if good behavior and remorse is shown.

I've been swatted once IRL by some racist idiots calling in phony pranks to the police so I know what that is like, but it leads me to concerns.

The only reason this idiot was caught is because he did it from home, and talked to other people about doing it so assume that a person doesn't let anyone else they are doing it, and instead does the swatting call from a "Bruner Phone" using "Public IP address" and Spoofing methods that cannot be traced to the user done once and then destroyed after, there is nothing to trace the calls back except "Voice Matching, and CCTV Footage but that can be avoided."

Look at Ice Poseidon though how people frame him using his IP address to do things by hacking into his equipment and stuff to leave fake threats on a persons twitter account think it was a mayor.

Obviously I don't beleive he did anything but because it came from his IP Address they took all his equipment even though he did nothing.

Also California forcing anyone to get a film license who records videos in public is insane even if its just from your phone or go-pro as a biker for example its just dumb.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited March 2019
    Deserves longer.
    cheyaneSinsaiHatefull