Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Elder Scrolls Online at GDC – Necromancer and Dragons - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited March 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageElder Scrolls Online at GDC – Necromancer and Dragons - MMORPG.com

This past week at GDC we got the chance to join Elder Scrolls Online for their Elsweyr Update. In the demo we got to play the Necromancer and see a dragon, two of the biggest additions coming to the game. Here are some of the take-aways from where ESO is going.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    This just in.....combat will still suck.
    AeanderScotmazutAlomarJippiijoobcbullyValdheimR3d.GallowsHarikenZenJellyand 9 others.
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    Viper482 said:
    If combat didn't suck, it wouldn't be a true Bethesda game.
    ViterzgirvelimiriusValdheimimmodiumelfdragon21MaurgrimZenJellyGolelorn[Deleted User][Deleted User]and 2 others.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Aeander said:
    Viper482 said:
    ESO combat goes beyond normal Bethesda combat suck though.
    AlomarValdheimZenJellyHariken[Deleted User]Gobstopper3D
  • Moxom914Moxom914 Member RarePosts: 731

Viper482 said:

still better than WoW's
    ViterzgirQuicksandAlomarTealabcbullyViper482SignexMaurgrimZenJellyHarikenand 4 others.
  • LinifLinif Member UncommonPosts: 338
    edited March 2019
    I've been lied to then. Someone told me the PvP in ESO was fantastic. EDIT: I keep forgetting to talk on topic... Adding in a Necromancer has piqued my interest. I assume it'll be expansion locked? I was also unaware there was a pet class, I enjoy pet classes a lot so there may be something in ESO for me after all.
    Alomar
  • skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180
    Moxom914 said:

Viper482 said:

still better than WoW's
    At least with WoW you can target a baddie. ESO constantly drives me away because of how inconsistent the targeting is.
    Viper482ZenJellyReaperman69nycplayboy78
    Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549
    looking forward to the  Necro.
    QuicksandRolanStormDhampirTacticalZombehHatefull

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    The combat is not that bad, the only thing about it that I find unforgivable is that you need to cancel animations. Well you don't need to but it helps, which I find as outdated as bunny hopping in shooters, but we still have that in some games too!
    [Deleted User]AeanderZenJellyHatefullMadFrenchiegervaise1Gobstopper3DHluillDaicon1948
  • JippiijooJippiijoo Member UncommonPosts: 100
    edited March 2019

Scot said:

The combat is not that bad, the only thing about it that I find unforgivable is that you need to cancel animations. Well you don't need to but it helps, which I find as outdated as bunny hopping in shooters, but we still have that in some games too!

Nothing wrong with bunnyhoppin, its a skill anyone can learn and deepens the learning curve in games, good movement helps. But what i could do without in CSGO for example is the fast reloading, that you switch weapons mid reload so you can reload faster, i dont really see it contributing to gameplay like bunny hopping does. EDIT: Also, Necromancers rule and should be in every single MMORPG
    AeanderScotZenJellyHatefull
  • louis.imbrognolouis.imbrogno Member UncommonPosts: 6
    Combat is just so weightless and extremly basic. Wish there was more to it. I keep coming back here and there hoping it changed but I'm always underwhelmed. Pets not forget class identity doesn't feel very unique to me either.

Pvp isn't to bad but damn if cyrodiil lag, disconnects weren't so herendous and battlegrounds didn't have loading issues maybe it would at least help give me some sort of reason to stay.

Back to ffxiv for awhile it seems. May give it another shot towards end of the year.
    Viper482Dr_Binks
  • SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698

skeaser said:

Moxom914 said:

Viper482 said:

still better than WoW's

At least with WoW you can target a baddie. ESO constantly drives me away because of how inconsistent the targeting is.

Never had that problem. And you can specifically target enemies btw.
  • TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
    edited April 2019

Aeander said:

Viper482 said:

Oh you mean the simple tab target and hit your combat macro of WoW - yeah, that's so difficult. ::rolls eyes::

Post edited by Teala on
    Iselingervaise1[Deleted User]immodium[Deleted User]HatefullDaicon1948
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Best combat and class system I’ve played.

It’s not easy to be good, and yes you can make bag builds. Those two things equals “sucks” a few.
    AeanderViper482KajidourdenHluill
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    edited March 2019
    Teala said:

Aeander said:

Viper482 said:

Oh you mean the simple tab target and hit your combat macro of WoW - yeah, that's so difficult. ::rolls eyes::
    No. No I do not.

Now, personally, I tend to gravitate towards combat systems that allow for knowledge/strategy in gameplay over mechanical skill. (Not that it matters here because ESO offers neither.  :p)
    ZenJellyGobstopper3D
  • sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458
    it's just so damn console-designed, screw-that if i wanted to play a console game I wouldn't have a nice PC.
    HarikenAlverant
  • IkifalesIkifales Member UncommonPosts: 305
    I love the combat in ESO, it is in no way "weightless", it's actually the exact opposite, fun and heavy hitting. I'm looking forward to the expansion.
    bcbullyZenJellyHluill
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    edited March 2019

bcbully said:

Best combat and class system I’ve played.

It’s not easy to be good, and yes you can make bag builds. Those two things equals “sucks” a few.

Not easy to be good? rofl.

You what is really lame? People who claim the reason others don't like their little game is because they suck at it. I can play your game just fine bud, I assure you. The combat sucks....in MY opinion.
    AlverantHluill
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • TacticalZombehTacticalZombeh Member UncommonPosts: 430
    Necromancer isn't a pet class? What am I raising, daisies? ;p
    HluillDaicon1948
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Jippiijoo said:

Scot said:

Nothing wrong with bunnyhoppin, its a skill anyone can learn and deepens the learning curve in games, good movement helps. But what i could do without in CSGO for example is the fast reloading, that you switch weapons mid reload so you can reload faster, i dont really see it contributing to gameplay like bunny hopping does. EDIT: Also, Necromancers rule and should be in every single MMORPG
    Your stance or should I say 'elevated position' on bunny hopping is noted. Those of us who don't want to just play Fortnite and are fans of hyper-realism will have a different more grounded view. :)
    HatefullHluillkoldmiser
  • paul43paul43 Member UncommonPosts: 198
    ESO have major problems with the combat system, most players actually don't manage to do decent dps, and the problem is so widespread that Tanks don't sign up for dungeons so waiting time for dps can be hours.

You can basicly do several attacks at once in ESO, if you do a light attack and at the same time use an ability you do two things at once. Then you can cancel animations and do even more stuff faster.

Just imagine the problems this is causing in PvP or how hard it is to balance a raid or a dungeon. Some people who "do it by the book" do maybe 15k DPS, while someone using all the tricks can do 50k dps.

So instead of removing the "cheats" it's now a feature. It's a game with an intense learnig curve, and you basicly have to learn your fingers to have muscle memory when to press what button.

Compare that to say Fortnite, every time someone finds a way to increase their dps beoyond what was intended it's removed. Doing damage in Fortnite is pretty basic. Everyone is at the same playing field and that's part of why it's popular.
    IselinHluill
  • jonp200jonp200 Member UncommonPosts: 457

saker said:

it's just so damn console-designed, screw-that if i wanted to play a console game I wouldn't have a nice PC.

This was the first MMO that really was better on a console so I agree. Combat is more simplistic than modern games but I enjoy the class building and feel the story and world is interesting.
    Hluill

Seaspite
    Playing ESO on my X-Box

edited March 2019
    Scot said:
    Jippiijoo said:

Scot said:

Your stance or should I say 'elevated position' on bunny hopping is noted. Those of us who don't want to just play Fortnite and are fans of hyper-realism will have a different more grounded view. :)
    I have never played Fortnite don't know why you mentioned it since, it has nothing similar with CSGO (the game i mentioned).
    but for sure, each to their own, i like that movement is also a factor and that one can get better at it. I just don't understand why bunny hopping is a problem for some, it is not needed at all to being good at the game, it helps but not a must to know in being able to compete against others, so dont know why it matters if it is there or not, don't like it don't use it.
  • magentowizardmagentowizard Member UncommonPosts: 17
    edited March 2019
    I would love to hear why people complain about the combat. What isn't working for you?

Personally I have no problem and I am on a PC. Also the servers are packed with people these days so they must be doing something right.

Yes tab targeting is only to give you an idea of where the creature you are focused on is. But tab targeting in games like WOW is boring. You stand there and click buttons until the creature is dead.

Combat in ESO is much more action oriented and requires you to move, roll, avoid red lines where the creature is going to do damage. Sometimes with creatures like imps you have avoid where they are going to shoot fire based on their animation.

Combat is way better than 4 years ago. My weapons actually feel like they are hitting and each weapon has a different feel. My dragon knight uses a two handed weapon and you can feel the slowness compared to other weapons, but it does so much more damage. I can be fighting a bunch of creatures focusing on one and then I bring out my whip and it kills off the one I am using and damages all the rest.

Werewolf form is the best as I do massive damage and then if my friends are playing with me we can stay in werewolf form for a really long time. I can't speak to PVP as I don't really do PVP. But doing PVE, I find combat is great.
  • HashbrickHashbrick Member RarePosts: 1,851
    Jippiijoo said:
    Scot said:
    Jippiijoo said:

Scot said:

I have never played Fortnite don't know why you mentioned it since, it has nothing similar with CSGO (the game i mentioned).
    but for sure, each to their own, i like that movement is also a factor and that one can get better at it. I just don't understand why bunny hopping is a problem for some, it is not needed at all to being good at the game, it helps but not a must to know in being able to compete against others, so dont know why it matters if it is there or not, don't like it don't use it.
    Way to go off on a tangent... why are talking about csgo again?

ESO's combat is garbage everyone knows it but the ones that play it deal with it.  If you don't animation cancel you will find yourself ex-communicated from the community, it is actually unfortunately part of the game because they won't fix it, my thoughts are cause they don't know how to fix it.
    Jippiijoo
    [[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.
    Hashbrick said:
    Jippiijoo said:
    Scot said:
    Jippiijoo said:

Scot said:

Way to go off on a tangent... why are talking about csgo again?

ESO's combat is garbage everyone knows it but the ones that play it deal with it.  If you don't animation cancel you will find yourself ex-communicated from the community, it is actually unfortunately part of the game because they won't fix it, my thoughts are cause they don't know how to fix it.
    just some banter, nothing to do with you. Necromancers are still greatest also