Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ashes of Creation - Dev Diaries - Node Tool - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited March 2019 in Videos Discussion

imageAshes of Creation - Dev Diaries - Node Tool - MMORPG.com

Intrepid Studios is continuing its deep dive into the Ashes of Creation node system with a new video today that speaks to the technology behind nodes. Senior Environment Artist Tad Ehrlich and Creative Director Steven Sharif "go over why the tool was created, and how it will affect the player as they explore" the game world.

Read the full story here

Comments

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,979
    Looking nice but its all about the gameplay in any game.
    [Deleted User]Truvidien88makevalitweedledumb99
  • volttvoltt Member UncommonPosts: 432

Scot said:

Looking nice but its all about the gameplay in any game.

I agree and disagree. Combat and gameplay is important but This system is what really will set this game apart from others.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    I thought the saying was "If you build it, they will come" not "if you talk about building it...."
  • Heatsink00Heatsink00 Member UncommonPosts: 60
    Procedural generation is nice for making unique places, but they didn't explain anything beyond that. How does any of it affect gameplay? That video is irritatingly vague.
  • makevalimakevali Member UncommonPosts: 48
    edited March 2019
    Probably going to be a disappointment and here's why: they are trying to appeal to both action combat players and tab targeting and they will end up pleasing none. Think about games before them who tried to implement both combat systems and failed *cough* bless online and countless other games that i'm too lazy to summon from my overworked memory.

Furthermore it's always better to execute one system and to focus on one type of player base because as history has taught us, trying to please everyone will end up pleasing no one.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    makevali said:
    Probably going to be a disappointment and here's why: they are trying to appeal to both action combat players and tab targeting and they will end up pleasing none. Think about games before them who tried to implement both combat systems and failed *cough* bless online and countless other games that i'm too lazy to summon from my overworked memory.

Furthermore it's always better to execute one system and to focus on one type of player base because as history has taught us, trying to please everyone will end up pleasing no one.
    Its funny that the 'focus' is so much on the combat (at least according to them since that's the main reason the br mode exists). People probably dont remember that awful combat system they had a couple of years back with trying to match bars or some crap during combat.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited March 2019
    I wonder if he thought about the TIME factor?
    If all of a sudden a large group ,maybe a guild decides to leave a node,does it just auto remove all the buildings,that would look real bad.Point being there should be a very slow transition period,think like the old days of the west,people can't farm on the land any longer so after a year they leave but change doesn't happen ANYWHERE in life over a few minutes or even an hour unless some disaster breaks out.Even an epidemic wouldn't force visual change for quite awhile,maybe months,years.

I think like everyone else,the intrigue of this node system was thinking how places would change but when i look at it's design,it is simply a system whereby you build a city then just remove idk how many parts it has 2-3,so it removes 25% then maybe 50% maybe 75% of the buildings and then maybe adds them back again,a very simple system,effective,yes it can be if done well.

Other than the node idea which now looks real simple what does the rest of the game offer?WHen i played FFXI it was because the entire package to me was very good,it lacked modern graphics and perhaps some tweaks,voice overs but was just very unique in it's design.I can no longer play anything that looks/feels like a Wow/Eq2 design,way too linear and boring for me,not just in questing but all the other parts of the design as well.
    Point being,if this tries to be Wow with a node system,it won't be nearly good enough.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• colera1333colera1333 Member UncommonPosts: 8
    While not identical the whole world from what I've seen has a sameness about it. ESO is also that way and one of the reasons I can't get into it.

I think they will pull this system off though and things seem to be moving along.