Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Warcraft 1 and 2 Are Both Now Available on GoG.com - MMORPG.com News

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited March 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageWarcraft 1 and 2 Are Both Now Available on GoG.com - MMORPG.com News

Following the release of Diablo 1 on GoG.com earlier this month, Blizzard has also now released Warcraft 1 and Warcraft 2 strategy games as well. The games are now compatible with modern operating systems and Warcraft 2 has two ways to play, one with original graphics that is compatible with Battle.net Classic and one with higher resolutions that can only be played by LAN.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited March 2019
    Pretty cool for the retro crowd. :D Now if only we could get Diablo 2 and LoD, though I'd prefer a fully remastered version of both!
    [Deleted User]CazrielFoncl[Deleted User]ScottJeslisGorweSabracPsYcHoGBR

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768
    I never got the chance to play Warcraft 1 and 2, maybe I'll have to pick these up.
    [Deleted User]FonclPhry
  • immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    edited March 2019
    Zug-zug!
    [Deleted User]Fonclmikeb0817

• nfacatriusnfacatrius Member UncommonPosts: 100
    Arbeit ist vollbracht! =)
    Foncl
  • FonclFoncl Member UncommonPosts: 347
    Arbeit ist vollbracht! =)
    Is that what workers say in the German version? I'm Swedish but I speak German so I'm guessing it's the translation for 'work complete' :]

I have Warcraft 2 on disc and I'm prettty sure I still have the first game lying around somewhere but it's nice to have all the classics on GOG when needed.
  • CygiCygi Member RarePosts: 257
    Oh man, the memories... :)
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,014
    I'm not quite sure how I feel about this. On one hand its great to be able to play these beloved old classics at modern resolutions, with no DRM, for the price of about a hamburger and chips. On the other hand I think it proves the beloved Blizzard we all knew has thrown in the towel and is well and truly dead.

Oh well, at least we all have phones, right? Right? Fuck.
    Not necessarily.

Good Old Games is a store and a store needs something to sell. It's not beyond the pale to imagine them approaching Blizzard and saying "you have these games in your stable. Are they making you money?"

It takes nothing from Blizzard to offer the games for sale on that platform and just collect their cut.

And why wouldn't they do that? They are a publicly traded company which means that they are always looking for revenue streams. A revenue stream where they have to do very little is a huge plus.

This doesn't take away from them and future projects. It's just capitalizing on a property that where they don't have to put in much effort.

Heck, I'd do it!
    Nepheth
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I did not know a single thing about Blizzard even when Wow released.I wasn't really big on the people behind games but simply played games i liked,so i did not have a huge knowlede of game designers...yet.
    So way way back,i used to get magazines that would have games in them,i figured a good way to get some games i never knew about.I remember getting Warcraft,like all those free Cd's i couldn't wait to pop it in the tray.
    I think it lasted about 10 minutes tops.I had to look it up been so long,was 1994,i thought it was older but that is what Wiki says.Point being long before the 2004 Wow era,like 10 years prior i had already not liked anything blizzard produced.
    I don't remember the exact time line but i was likely playing the Might n Magic games,Ultima games,Warcraft did not even fizzle on me.

fast forward 25 years and Blizzard still makes unappealing games,at least to me but i choose games differently i THINK than most,i choose games because I think they are good and not because other people think they are good.

People often and i see/read it a lot,think others are just Blizzard haters,to me those are shallow minded people,maybe we just really think Blizzard makes low quality games?Blizzard was NOT a newsworthy gaming operation back in the 90's,their claim to fame is Wow,the 2004 and beyond era.

Even when there was literally only 3 maybe 4 competitors in the ENTIRE online market,i can name TEN "total entertainment network",heat.Net,Gamespy,there was one other semi popular one and then Battle.net.Yes even back then with little competition ,Blizzard never gained any talk,it was like they didn't even exist,like i said,i never knew who the heck they were until Wow got all the press news.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• DAOWAceDAOWAce Member UncommonPosts: 432
    Can't say I'm comfortable with buying games I already have.. but I'm glad these games are getting re-released digitally finally.

Now if only Blizzard offered people who own them a chance to get them free, or 80% off or something... if the games even had any sort of way to track ownership in the first place. Been too long to remember!
  • volttvoltt Member UncommonPosts: 432
    Guess now question for me is get through battle.net or gog. I would like better res but better multiplayer through blizz
  • BrotherMaynardBrotherMaynard Member RarePosts: 567
    DAOWAce said:
    Can't say I'm comfortable with buying games I already have.. but I'm glad these games are getting re-released digitally finally.

Now if only Blizzard offered people who own them a chance to get them free, or 80% off or something... if the games even had any sort of way to track ownership in the first place. Been too long to remember!

I have the originals and I will be getting the GoG version too. Not only the DRM will be switched off (no CDs necessary or any of that stuff), CDPR actually does a lot of work on each game they publish to make them compatible with the new HW + SW. It's honestly impressive the lengths they go to in order to make these old games run as smoothly as possible on modern machines.

Take a look at this documentary, it's quite interesting:

TL;DR: Yay, no DRM! Yay, will run on modern PCs!

Phrymikeb0817
  • btdtbtdt Member RarePosts: 523
    DAOWAce said:

Yeah... first we owned a song but it was on vinyl... then cassettes and 8-tracks came along and we bought the same song on those mediums... then came the CD... shelled out for the same song on CD... then MP3... gotta buy it for the MP3 player... one song, bought and paid for 5 different times... now we pay monthly to hear the same damn song on a streaming service so that we can get rid of all the actual media.

SBFordmikeb0817
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    Sometimes it's easier to buy it again than to go through the process of getting it to work on modern systems at a higher resolution yourself.
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    GoG what is not to like about them! this is the kind of 'retro' i like  :)
  • RynetRynet Member UncommonPosts: 114
    SBFord said:
    Pretty cool for the retro crowd. :D Now if only we could get Diablo 2 and LoD, though I'd prefer a fully remastered version of both!
    You can buy D2 and LoD from the Blizzard Battlenet Store.

https://us.shop.battle.net/en-gb/product/diablo-ii

https://us.shop.battle.net/en-gb/product/diablo-ii-lord-of-destruction
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    edited March 2019

SBFord said:

d2 is actually available for about 9 nucks on the bnet ;)

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"