Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TANKS - make them great again !

IMHO one of the weaknesses of Vanguards classes was how the different tanks played too much alike. Sure you had a completely different set of abilities and ability names. But the core mechanisms always have been damage mitigation, hitpoints, damage output, and aggro abilities. The core experience was thus exactly identical, you just got a bit to it in a different way.

For comparison, I also played all four healer classes. Now okay, Clerics and Shamans also played a lot alike. But even so they felt a lot different. For example Shaman had no deaggro skill, which was a very weird problem, since everybody else had them (even Disciple had Fake Death, which, if it worked, would drop aggro to zero).

Anyway Disciple and Blood Mage have been massively different from the classic healers, and very different from each other. Disciple had their Jin counter which usually was their main source to heal, which thus they tried to keep up at all times. Blood Mage on the other hand had their Blood Points, and they had a group heal on a critical hit which healed the group without any aggro generation - super important and also for a long time a way to heal group members even if they'd be on a different continent. Also Blood Points would always be gone when the mob died, so you had to plan accordingly, while Jin would be kept at high counts even outside of battles, with a stance.

Obviously damage/support classes are easy to make different anyway, since their description is very free and they can do whatever shenannigans you can think of.

So that made me wonder, is it possible to also make tank classes that are really different from traditional tanks ?

One idea would be to have a ranged tank. So the class would be able to keep aggro at a distance, and to move very fast over the battlefield to avoid getting hit. Maybe less mitigation and/or hitpoints, or it would have to partially rely on armor spells which had to be refreshed every once in a while, and those spells would be disruptable, thus the class would have to keep distance. So maybe that would be a cloth healer ?

What about a Monk class that can tank ? I never played Lord of the Rings Online myself, but I once read about a LotRO class, I think it was called guardian or something ? Anyway that class was all about attack combos. In order to selfbuff and to other things beneficial to oneself or ones group, or things detrimental to attackers, the class had to keep using a TON of different attack sequences. People said a well played Guardian would be really good, but if you didnt play them well they would stink. That could be a massively different experience for sure, wouldnt it be ? And it would be very much like what Disciples did in Vanguard, only even more complex. Rangers had stuff like this as well.

Or wouldnt it make sense to drop the defensive stance of Warrior and to give them simply enough stustained damage output that they could keep aggro ? Once I had an online discussion about Warrior and people objected to me saying that Warrior should have the same damage output as, say, a Ranger. But Warrior would have more hitpoints and more defense, people said, so giving them the same damage output wouldnt be balanced. Sure, but Ranger gets ranged attacks, spells including snare, runspeed and healing, and they get stuff like stealth. So why isnt it balanced to make them about the same in output ? This way Warrior could be the simple tank who can tank at any point in time, without having to change stance.

On that issue, the weird thing about Warrior in Vanguard was that it was the most complicated class of them all. A huge heap of situational abilities that I couldnt get my mind around. That was just very weird. I felt that by its very concept, it should definitely be the easiest class to play. On the other hand my Dread Knight was almost amazingly easy to play, one of the easiest classes in the game, at least once I had figured out how to macro him correctly.

Another idea would be to give Paladins simply aggro auras. So as a Paladin, you dont have to worry much about aggro at all, at least not usually, it would be the "laidback" tank that keeps the focus more on support like healing allies. Except if you get adds, it would actually be troublesome to keep the add off the Paladin for offtanking, so then the Paladin would have to drop the aura for this. Nah, maybe not such a great idea.

I also would say there should be a substantial difference in what hitpoints and mitigation tank classes could archieve. So maybe a Warrior should be really high hitpoints, but not as good defense as a Paladin. Thus healing a Paladin takes a bit less work, and they generate less healing aggro and require less mana for healing. In Vanguard this was pretty much exactly equal for all tank classes, which was in my mind a bit of a missed chance.

Another idea would be a class that sits on a really big heap of hitpoints. But defense and damage gets up the lower their hitpoints gets. Thats a dangerous gamble, obviously, and probably quite hard to balance for raids.

Comments

• svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230
    Tanks are OP.
    Make bards great again!
  • AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
    Okay, its offtopic, but at least ONE answer to my thread ...

Bards have been OP in VG.

They raised the damage of everybody else ... and on a regular basis dealt more damage than Sorcerer (who was supposed to be spot #1 on sustained dps) and Rogue (which was supposed to be spot #2 on sustained dps) in raid forces.

And whats OP about tanks ?!?

In Vanguard, Warrior was the weakest of all solist classes.

Even weaker than Monk and Phoenix Shaman.

Monk at least killed what they killed quickly, and could always Fake Death if things became too tough, and they at least had a single self heal even if it was on quite some timer, and at highest levels there have been vampiric weapons that sucked life from the opponents and gave them the monk.

Phoenix Shaman couldnt be hit (no defense and no hitpoints), couldnt kite (levitation and runspeed, yes, but no ranged weapons, and their spells would slow them down) and couldnt do damage (hardly better damage than other shamans, anyway), but at least they could still run away, and they certainly had no shortage of healing.

Paladin was very OK solo. Not great damage though. And your heals would get disrupted if there are too many attackers.

Dread Knight on the other hand rocked hard. Defense same as Warrior and Paladin, damage output was close to what Warrior gets, there was a runspeed selfbuff (IIRC 60 sec duration, 80 sec recast), area attack (actually the only area attack in the whole game that never got limited in numbers of targets), area lifetap (that one was limited to number of targets, though), other lifetaps (IIRC I had six different lifetaps total in the end, some of which still worked if silenced), and of course lifetap cannot be disrupted, only fail - but with the area lifetap you'd still be golden.

Dread Knight AFAIK is the only class in Vanguard that ever managed to solo a raid boss. It was the weakest raid boss of them all (Jagund the Wavebreaker) meant for level 50, it was after they introduced level 55, the DK in question was full raid geared, it was with a boss that was not timed and was basically ideally matched for the DK skills (summoned extras so the lifetap would work better) - but still, it was a single player killing a full raid boss, super impressive.

All that says nothing how to increase the variance between tanks in Pantheon, though.

I guess I should join the official forum to discuss this. I just dont like to spend $100 on just talking in a forum. I havent decided yet to join Pantheon. It might be I'll skip over it because so far I just dont see how its really what I want to play. I want an improved Vanguard, not an improved EverQuest.

Well, I'd settle for a Vanguard clone, really. But I want sufficient Vanguard in it.

• paul43paul43 Member UncommonPosts: 198
    edited March 2019
    In ESO you can play a ranged tank, you can also play a icestaff tank which is also ranged I belive? Never tried it though. I just went with classic sword&board. 

The problem with ESO is that the aggro tool is a 15 second timer, you hit a button and you have 15 sec until you have to hit it again. Tanks do other things like debuffing the boss, and avoid attacks, etc.

I remeber on the Age of conan forums someone suggested a aggro button like the one in ESO with a 10 sec timer, and everyone jumped and made fun of the guy. 

Age of conan also have a good hate generation system. I've not had time to raid since I played WoW back in 2005-2006. So in Age of Conan I just did dungeons or PuG raids.  My favourite thing to do was to use "free lvl 80's" that you got in various promotions over the years and start a new Guardian tank. Because there was so much beginner lvl 80 gear you could use, and I found it fun to start over trying new gear setups.

So one day I was playing my blue geared Guardian I saw a team in zone chat who needed a off-tank for Flame HM. Which was a simple one boss dungeon, done correctly it takes 5 min. I had done that dungeon hundreds of times at that point on other chars, but not on my new blue geared Tank. 

So I joined up with the team, and the other guys were all from one of the best raiding guilds on the server. There were long queues to join their ranks. They ofcourse had much better gear, and the main tank I was going to help was also on his main raiding char with all his fancy gear.

Nontheless we started the encounter, and guess what, the fancy raiding tank with all his fancy armor couldn't hold aggro. I had to stop attacking the boss so this guy could get the boss attention. In AoC, stopping to attack the boss to switch aggro is basicly an insult to the other tank, but it was either that or me dropping dead. This happend over and over, with me taking back aggro in seconds when I had full health.

We killed the boss no problems and even went on to do another dunegon just next door.  After we were finished one of the guys in the team messaged me and said he was the raidleader in the guild, and asked if I wanted a spot on their main raid.  Obviously I didn't have time to be in a hardcore raid guild and had to decline. But still nice to get a invite to a top ranked guild.

Age of Conan was really a game where skill mattered a good deal and not just gear. 
    Adamantine
    Awesome, great story !

In Vanguard gear mattered a LOT for tanks, so I was always happy when I managed to snatch off aggro on my little Dread Knight from these rampant top geared Paladins whenever they slacked around. Which never worked if they paid attention, of course, since DK was lowest on aggro, while Pal was best, and not being in a top guild my gear was rather pittiful in comparison.

I also once had a pretty funny PU-raid in which they used me on a raid boss and everyone apparently acted extra careful in order to not snatch aggro from me. After the raid it turned out I actually had outdps'ed everyone else while in defensive stance, so really they could have probably killed that boss a lot quicker lolz.

• rounnerrounner Member UncommonPosts: 725
    Sounds suspiciously like a make all classes equal thread. VG had a few make do tanks for casual pugs like bear, necro and monk. Otherwise the 3 tanks were situationally better suited to different fights. If the game is true trinity then the question of making tanks great is moot as they are essential for serious fights.
    Adamantine
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    I remember when the entire server in EQ had a gathering for protest after Warriors were nerfed.
  • CaffynatedCaffynated Member RarePosts: 753
    I would be happy to see WAR's tank classes copy pasted TBH. They had tanking abilities that went beyond aggro and damage mitigation.

>Taunt - increase your damage and aggro generation until the target has hit you 3 times.
    >Challenge - unbreakable root that forces the enemy to stand toe to toe with you, and they can't target anyone except for you.
    >Guard - you take half the damage of the person you're guarding.

The unique mechanics really made each tank play differently.

Swordmaster/Black ork - 3 stances that they rotate through to maintain powerful buffs/debuffs, or to deal increased damage.
    Blackguard/Iron breaker - hate/grudge mechanic that built up during combat and could be spent on higher damage skills, or powerful buffs/debuffs/damage shields.
    Knob/Chosen - powerful auras that buff the tank and his allies or debuff enemies in a large area.

WAR simply did the tank better than any game before or since.
    MendelAdamantine
  • HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    Dark Templar in AoC was by far the most fun tank I ever played.

Rift Stalker (I think) in Rift was awesome, an avoidance tank that could *Bamf* around the battle was really a lot of fun.

Caffynated said:
    I would be happy to see WAR's tank classes copy pasted TBH. They had tanking abilities that went beyond aggro and damage mitigation.

>Taunt - increase your damage and aggro generation until the target has hit you 3 times.
    >Challenge - unbreakable root that forces the enemy to stand toe to toe with you, and they can't target anyone except for you.
    >Guard - you take half the damage of the person you're guarding.

The unique mechanics really made each tank play differently.

Swordmaster/Black ork - 3 stances that they rotate through to maintain powerful buffs/debuffs, or to deal increased damage.
    Blackguard/Iron breaker - hate/grudge mechanic that built up during combat and could be spent on higher damage skills, or powerful buffs/debuffs/damage shields.
    Knob/Chosen - powerful auras that buff the tank and his allies or debuff enemies in a large area.

WAR simply did the tank better than any game before or since.
    That last sentence is so subjective, I hated tanking in War.
    Adamantine

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• CaffynatedCaffynated Member RarePosts: 753
    Hatefull said:
    You're the only person I've ever heard say they disliked tanks in Warhammer Online.
  • asteldiancaliskanasteldiancaliskan Member UncommonPosts: 58
    I thought the Paladin in VG was amazing. I played all 3 tanks but Paladin was my favourite. The variety of Rescues for when your defensive target has aggro we’re awesome. Virtue points was a great mechanic allowing various abilities for when things go bad, or if things really get worrisome you could dump all your points at once to become an avatar of destruction
    Adamantine
  • MykellMykell Member UncommonPosts: 780
    Hatefull said:
    You're the only person I've ever heard say they disliked tanks in Warhammer Online.

I started out as a Chosen but they were so gimped compared to a Iron Breaker it wasnt funny. Order classes were just better in general for the most part (Bright Wizard was just stupidly broken with his dots). I'd say Chosen was my least fav tank class in an mmo.

Switched to a witch elf and just roamed the battlefield looking for easy targets and was a lot more fun.

rounner said:
    Sounds suspiciously like a make all classes equal thread.
    What the... but ... what ... how ...

Dude you really havent read my OP, did you ?

My complaint is that tanks play too equal and there need to be more differences between tank classes.

More uniformity was the last thing I wanted.

And I didnt wanted other classes to change at all.