Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Making My Own Battle Royale

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,126

imageMaking My Own Battle Royale

The gaming industry is a savage one, both in competition between publishers and in the endless creative ways they invent to take our money. From WOW came the WOW clones and from Fortnite comes the Fotniteclones...or should I say the DayZ clones...or the H1Z1 clones...or the RUST clones...or the PUBG clones or....well, you get my point. Like sharks to chum big publishers; race to get a bite before the battle royale cosmetic cash shop with a “limited edition” whale gimmick gets gobbled up!

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Gdemami

Comments

• TimEisenTimEisen ColumnistMember EpicPosts: 3,293
    Suzie in rare form here!
    I used to role-play a Warrior Priest now I role-play a writer.
  • DMKanoDMKano Member LegendaryPosts: 21,140
    Actually knowing a ton of folks in the game industry - large publishers treat their employees great in most cases, its just that they cant provide job stability. Example I know folks who work at EA and have been there for 10+ years and are treated awesome.

Indie devs often have way more brutal hours and much higher pressure than larger studios.

I think it's a bit misguided to say "dont support large studios and publishers because they dont treat their employees right" - just not true.
    AlbatroesKyleran
    edited March 27
    DMKano said:
    Actually knowing a ton of folks in the game industry - large publishers treat their employees great in most cases, its just that they cant provide job stability. Example I know folks who work at EA and have been there for 10+ years and are treated awesome.

Indie devs often have way more brutal hours and much higher pressure than larger studios.

I think it's a bit misguided to say "dont support large studios and publishers because they dont treat their employees right" - just not true.
    Well, thats why I didn't. I said "What I’m saying is, if you don’t like how big publishers treat their employees, don’t support them. Buy indie games or even games by publishers that treat their people better." 

I also noted that it is the way of the beast and developers go into that industry knowing it. They are modern day drifters. Nimble fingered rockstars. Sailors going from port to port. You get my drift. 

There is also the issue of not being inside to know. Ask ten workers how Big Pub is and get ten diff answers etc. /shrug

That said it does pain me when upper management makes bad decisions and cuts hundreds but retains their job. 
    Gdemami
  • DMKanoDMKano Member LegendaryPosts: 21,140
    edited March 27
    TimEisen said:
    DMKano said:

Well, thats why I didn't. I said "What I’m saying is, if you don’t like how big publishers treat their employees, don’t support them. Buy indie games or even games by publishers that treat their people better." 

I also noted that it is the way of the beast and developers go into that industry knowing it. They are modern day drifters. Nimble fingered rockstars. Sailors going from port to port. You get my drift. 

There is also the issue of not being inside to know. Ask ten workers how Big Pub is and get ten diff answers etc. /shrug

That said it does pain me when upper management makes bad decisions and cuts hundreds but retains their job. 

Job cuts happen everywhere though - it just sucks when traditionally stable studios like Blizzard have to resort to layoffs.

But indies have downsides - usually when it comes to work-life balance and just being on a much tighter leash budget-wise

On the other hand in huge companies you are just a number. 

Th sweet spot seems to be somewhere around 200-300 employees or so. 
    TimEisenGravend
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 6,483
    edited March 27
    I mean, I get people are upset about lay offs and it is bigger companies' fault but not for laying them off. A lot of people forget that these companies tend to over-hire for various reasons, so lay-offs are inevitable. If you're going to be mad at companies like Acti-Blizz/EA/etc be mad that they lack foresight, not for laying people off. As an aside, I am getting tired of these 'seasonal' game developments (which I believe started with the eastern market since they dont have the same rules when it comes to idea infringement). A game can't really 'succeed' because if it does, all you'll see is clones. Gaming used to be 'great' in the past because companies were trying to do their own thing and the consumer could rely on various ones for different things. Now, everyone is ultimately trying to do the same thing because its 'popular.'
  • KellerKeller Member UncommonPosts: 602
    make a Battle Royal without hacks and you're a winner. Gave in and tried Firestorm (EA's Battlefield Royale) and in solo you have a hacker every other game. In squads it's a bit more rare, maybe 4 is too much?
    Albatroes said:
    I mean, I get people are upset about lay offs and it is bigger companies' fault but not for laying them off. A lot of people forget that these companies tend to over-hire for various reasons, so lay-offs are inevitable. If you're going to be mad at companies like Acti-Blizz/EA/etc be mad that they lack foresight, not for laying people off. As an aside, I am getting tired of these 'seasonal' game developments (which I believe started with the eastern market since they dont have the same rules when it comes to idea infringement). A game can't really 'succeed' because if it does, all you'll see is clones. Gaming used to be 'great' in the past because companies were trying to do their own thing and the consumer could rely on various ones for different things. Now, everyone is ultimately trying to do the same thing because its 'popular.'
    Another consideration is what new hires were told. Like with MMORPG's it's established that teams bulk up to make the game then slim down when it launches as much less people are needed to maintain a MMO. I'm sure in some of these cases people knew they were hired for short term and took the job for XP just as I'm sure some of them were just the opposite. When your talking hundreds of people that makes thousands of factors and individual stories. End of the day I'm hesitant to damn a company unless I see more details - like that time a bunch of devs were walked to a parking lot then let go in a cowardly manner. Man, I bet that guy would never be trusted again! 
    Gdemami
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 4,672
    Highlander - There Can Only Be One.

You're welcome.
    TimEisen
  • TEKK3NTEKK3N Member RarePosts: 698
    edited March 27
    DMKano said:

Agree.
    In general people who works for gaming company are well looked after, particularly developers.
    Problem is that when shit hit the fan, said Companies have no qualm in firing their employees left and right.
    But as long as you are working, you are good.

Aeander said:

You're welcome.

How about Duncan is a character in the Jedi Knight; BR?
  • SelhaizeaSelhaizea Member UncommonPosts: 14
    Gosh
    TimEisen
  • SirAgravaineSirAgravaine Member RarePosts: 518
    Too bad the Jedi Knight series is not canon anymore...
  • SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,236

Aeander said:

You're welcome.

Yeah, I'm not sure how they were going to handle that for the Highlander MMO. It probably would have ended up with a couple of kids chasing each other around while adults kept looking at their watches and wishing the server round was over so they could spawn (or create new characters or whatever Kalisto ended up doing).
    But it could be again!
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 4,672
    edited March 27
    Frankly, that's a mark of honor these days, given that being canon would lump it in with the nonsensical, borderline unwatchable fanfiction that is The Last Jedi.
    TimEisen
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,483
    edited March 27
    "The most powerful tool of the masses is our combined expendable income. Unfortunately, we are generally too disorganized to form any sort of leverage, although social media has certainly helped - one of the few things it’s good for."

Don't expect that to change anytime soon; those in the position to become endangered by a concerted consumer effort are too well-versed in strumming the fault lines between consumers to keep them looking at one another as the problem.

Enjoyed the article, as always.
    GdemamiTimEisen

edited March 28

Aeander said:

Frankly, that's a mark of honor these days, given that being canon would lump it in with the nonsensical, borderline unwatchable fanfiction that is The Last Jedi.

Thats not fair, Ive see several fan flicks that were far better than that poorly written sci-fi movie masquerading as a Star Wars movie.
    GdemamiAeander
  • 3dom3dom Member RarePosts: 765
    Funny part: the best BR game and the best dev team I've seen is coming from the biggest publisher on the planet - Tencent (Ring of Elysium).

Thank you for your time!