Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Making My Own Battle Royale

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited March 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageMaking My Own Battle Royale

The gaming industry is a savage one, both in competition between publishers and in the endless creative ways they invent to take our money. From WOW came the WOW clones and from Fortnite comes the Fotniteclones...or should I say the DayZ clones...or the H1Z1 clones...or the RUST clones...or the PUBG clones or....well, you get my point. Like sharks to chum big publishers; race to get a bite before the battle royale cosmetic cash shop with a “limited edition” whale gimmick gets gobbled up!

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Gdemami

Comments

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited March 2019
    I mean, I get people are upset about lay offs and it is bigger companies' fault but not for laying them off. A lot of people forget that these companies tend to over-hire for various reasons, so lay-offs are inevitable. If you're going to be mad at companies like Acti-Blizz/EA/etc be mad that they lack foresight, not for laying people off. As an aside, I am getting tired of these 'seasonal' game developments (which I believe started with the eastern market since they dont have the same rules when it comes to idea infringement). A game can't really 'succeed' because if it does, all you'll see is clones. Gaming used to be 'great' in the past because companies were trying to do their own thing and the consumer could rely on various ones for different things. Now, everyone is ultimately trying to do the same thing because its 'popular.'
  • KellerKeller Member UncommonPosts: 602
    make a Battle Royal without hacks and you're a winner. Gave in and tried Firestorm (EA's Battlefield Royale) and in solo you have a hacker every other game. In squads it's a bit more rare, maybe 4 is too much?
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    Highlander - There Can Only Be One.

You're welcome.
    [Deleted User]
  • TEKK3NTEKK3N Member RarePosts: 1,115
    edited March 2019
    DMKano said:
    Actually knowing a ton of folks in the game industry - large publishers treat their employees great in most cases, its just that they cant provide job stability. Example I know folks who work at EA and have been there for 10+ years and are treated awesome.

Indie devs often have way more brutal hours and much higher pressure than larger studios.

I think it's a bit misguided to say "dont support large studios and publishers because they dont treat their employees right" - just not true.
    Agree.
    In general people who works for gaming company are well looked after, particularly developers.
    Problem is that when shit hit the fan, said Companies have no qualm in firing their employees left and right.
    But as long as you are working, you are good.
  • SelhaizeaSelhaizea Member UncommonPosts: 14
    Gosh
    [Deleted User]
  • SirAgravaineSirAgravaine Member RarePosts: 520
    Too bad the Jedi Knight series is not canon anymore...
  • SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,498

Aeander said:

Highlander - There Can Only Be One.

You're welcome.

Yeah, I'm not sure how they were going to handle that for the Highlander MMO. It probably would have ended up with a couple of kids chasing each other around while adults kept looking at their watches and wishing the server round was over so they could spawn (or create new characters or whatever Kalisto ended up doing).
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    edited March 2019
    Too bad the Jedi Knight series is not canon anymore...
    Frankly, that's a mark of honor these days, given that being canon would lump it in with the nonsensical, borderline unwatchable fanfiction that is The Last Jedi.
    [Deleted User]
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited March 2019
    "The most powerful tool of the masses is our combined expendable income. Unfortunately, we are generally too disorganized to form any sort of leverage, although social media has certainly helped - one of the few things it’s good for."

Don't expect that to change anytime soon; those in the position to become endangered by a concerted consumer effort are too well-versed in strumming the fault lines between consumers to keep them looking at one another as the problem.

Enjoyed the article, as always.
    Gdemami[Deleted User]

• 3dom3dom Member RarePosts: 889
    Funny part: the best BR game and the best dev team I've seen is coming from the biggest publisher on the planet - Tencent (Ring of Elysium).

Thank you for your time!