Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMOs catering to people over 40 (or even over 50)

Comments

• MorfarothMorfaroth Member UncommonPosts: 22
    edited March 2019
    Dark Age of Camelot (DAOC) Phoenix Server
    https://playphoenix.online/
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    MMORPG: Massively Multiplayer Old Retired People Games. 

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    KyleranMendelSaltyDog79AmatheAlBQuirkyHatefulldragonlee66
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    I grew up on arcades, a cheap ass Tandy computer, and 8 bit consoles.

I don't know WTF some of these geezers are on about. Maybe they're the same guys who were playing Mazes & Monsters with Tom Hanks when he lost his shit.  :D
    Tuor7
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    I am 48 , stronger & healty than some 20 years old kid
     But very likely much slower, it is inevitible.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

lahnmir said:
    MMORPG: Massively Multiplayer Old Retired People Games. 

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    You win the internet today, at least on the gaming forum front.

;)
    lahnmirAlBQuirkyHatefull

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Hatefull said:
    lahnmir said:
    I know a few 50+ to 70+ players and they do play less twitchy games. Wiz101, Pirate 101, LOTRO, other RPGS.  They just accept they will never be in a "raiding" guild/clan in games like LOTRO.
    I played high level TSW dungeons with a 70+ guildie and these were brutal and twitchy. He rocked them. Another 60+ guildie I played WoW with (god bless her soul) was a high level raiding warlock in TBC and kicked ass. Just saying.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Its absolute bullshit that you are required to slow down as you age. At some point yes, your body will, but it varies greatly from person to person, and can be slowed or reversed with dum dum dum! Physical activity. I guess that is why I can still compete in shooters. I am very active, and while 48 isn't all that old, with the breathtaking amount of injuries I have sustained over the course of my life I sometimes feel like I am at death's door.

Good read but read it all.

You compete, but my guess is you are not competitive.  There's a horde of 20 somethings which would likely wreck you in seconds.

As you get older that number will only continue to get larger.

SaltyDog79[Deleted User]

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
    WTF ?!?

Young people ALL play ONLY twitch based games ?!?

I hated them when I was young and I hate them today. I strongly doubt I'm the only person who feels that way.

When I played Vanguard I sometimes found out the age of the people I was playing with. Some have been 16, some have been 60. It was of course all present.
  • NazloklessNazlokless Member UncommonPosts: 40
    as a 40 something, im twitchy enough ty vm, as most 40+s we been doing this a long time. ZX81 anyone? 
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    I'm old. But my character isn't. That's part of the reason I enjoy games. Amathe (or whoever) can still run, jump, climb, dodge, and roll. In real life my wife helps me retrieve the remote control when I drop it and it goes under the bed.
    SovrathAlBQuirkycraftseekerdragonlee66Tuor7

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I've come across some guilds in MMO's that are composed of and looking for members who have been around for a long while.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• SaelemSaelem Member UncommonPosts: 31
    I found the most in WoW and Everquest 2. WoW has several guilds geared toward older players and the EQ2 player base in general is usually older and more mature.
  • CaffynatedCaffynated Member RarePosts: 753
    As I've gone through my 30s my reaction times have slowed a little (from 150ms in my mid 20s to around 200 now), but the much bigger difference is that I can't get into "the zone" the way I could when I was younger. The zone is that mental state where everything slows down, you're hyper-aware of everything that's going on, and you have time to think about everything that's happening. The only time I can click like that nowadays is when my adrenaline is pumping, where I could basically get into it at will 5 years ago.
    Vermillion_RaventhalKyleranAlBQuirky
  • Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    As I've gone through my 30s my reaction times have slowed a little (from 150ms in my mid 20s to around 200 now), but the much bigger difference is that I can't get into "the zone" the way I could when I was younger. The zone is that mental state where everything slows down, you're hyper-aware of everything that's going on, and you have time to think about everything that's happening. The only time I can click like that nowadays is when my adrenaline is pumping, where I could basically get into it at will 5 years ago.
    I lost my zone early too. I think it's more mental than physical.  
    SaltyDog79Kyleran
  • DwaaawffulDwaaawfful Member UncommonPosts: 65
    Anyone else playing Nasal Hair Growth III?

They've really gone to town on the passive unattractiveness simulation modelling.
    AlBQuirky
    Stumpiness & Unbridled Misery Masquerading as VIRTUE

Need an AI-Free Elf Names Generator to bring your next elven character to life? Why ... course you do, you darn fool!
  • MykellMykell Member UncommonPosts: 780
    As an "older" gamer its not my twitch reflexes that bring me undone its that i game for much shorter periods and move from game to game when i get bored (which is pretty often).

Back in my youth i remember doing 11hr runs in dungeons just cause i'd found an amazing group and didnt want to leave lol.

No matter your age you get better at something from practice and repetition and im just not that dedicated to gaming nowadays.
    AlBQuirky
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    edited March 2019
    As a hoary old bastard I've found that over the years I actually prefer twitch combat to the boring old tab target which was the heart of most classic MMORPGs. I find games without the ability to dodge, block, roll, or jump to be a complete snooze fest these days.
    That's cool and understandable. You also have about 95% of gaming for your preferred enjoyment. Not so lucky if you enjoy a slower paced, more strategic experience :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

Quizzical said:
    I'm puzzled as to where all these twitchy MMOs that older people can't play are.  I can't name any such games at all off hand.  It's possible that some people are thinking about first person shooters, which I ignore because I don't like that sort of game.

For starters, most MMORPGs are pretty heavy on vertical progression.  Being one level higher is usually a lot bigger advantage than reacting 20 ms faster.

There's also the issue that most MMORPGs are tuned to be so easy that everyone wins unless you really have no clue what you're doing or get disconnected or something like that.  Or at least PVE is that way; PVP is a different beast entirely.  If the complaint is about PVP, then the problem is usually one of whales buying advantages or grinding giving advantages, not one of faster reaction times.

The only semi-MMO games I've played that had PVE content that was both twitchy and challenging were Spiral Knights and Kritika Online.  And in both of those, catching a tell to recognize what a mob was going to do half a second ahead of time was a much bigger advantage than reacting 20 ms (or even 100 ms) faster when the mob actually attacks.
    "Twitchy MMOs" brings to my mind any MMO with block/dodge/roll mechanics. GW2 and ESO is prevalent in my head. Admittedly, I haven't I played many "newer MMOs." EQ was my first MMORPG and my character, not I, took care of that stuff, relayed in the combat chat box :)

I agree with MMO progression and easy mode, though. MMOs are certainly mainly easy mode, so "everyone gets a gold star" just for showing up. It's funny when players start talking about top level raiding that less than 5%(?) of players even participate in. That means 95%(?) of the players have an easy MMO experience.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

That's good for you. Do expect everyone else to be the same way? I certainly am not.

- Al

- FARGIN_WAR

Anyone else playing Nasal Hair Growth III?

They've really gone to town on the passive unattractiveness simulation modelling.
    Don't they have a DLC  in the pipeline called Ear Hair Growth?

- Al

- FARGIN_WAR

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    Kyleran said:
     But very likely much slower, it is inevitible.
    At 48 it is completely inevitable. At 68 you may have an issue, depending on many variables but right now I outlift a lot of people at the gym, I surf next to people decades younger than me, and even with all my injuries, I still do much better than holding my own

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    edited March 2019
    Kyleran said:
    Hatefull said:
    lahnmir said:
    I know a few 50+ to 70+ players and they do play less twitchy games. Wiz101, Pirate 101, LOTRO, other RPGS.  They just accept they will never be in a "raiding" guild/clan in games like LOTRO.
    I played high level TSW dungeons with a 70+ guildie and these were brutal and twitchy. He rocked them. Another 60+ guildie I played WoW with (god bless her soul) was a high level raiding warlock in TBC and kicked ass. Just saying.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Its absolute bullshit that you are required to slow down as you age. At some point yes, your body will, but it varies greatly from person to person, and can be slowed or reversed with dum dum dum! Physical activity. I guess that is why I can still compete in shooters. I am very active, and while 48 isn't all that old, with the breathtaking amount of injuries I have sustained over the course of my life I sometimes feel like I am at death's door.

Good read but read it all.

You compete, but my guess is you are not competitive.  There's a horde of 20 somethings which would likely wreck you in seconds.

As you get older that number will only continue to get larger.

You are very mistaken. I only quit competing in tribes as I just had no time in my life for games. I would advise you to take a look at some of the science behind what you are saying. It is simply not true. At my age bracket anyway. As you get much older things like a proper diet and staying active can go a long way towards avoiding this slowdown.

Also Age is mostly in your mind, it's a number, not a requirement. The only part of that article that is BS is that old man was not a Royal marine. You can't tell me that boxing and self-defense have nothing to do with twitch and hand/eye coordination
    Post edited by Hatefull on

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• KrimzinKrimzin Member UncommonPosts: 687
    Remember, when the 20 somethings are talking about old people.. they mean YOU.

AlBQuirky

Just because I'm a gamer doesn't mean I drive a Honda.
    Best Duo Ever

Lets see your Battle Stations /r/battlestations
    Battle Station 
  • LinifLinif Member UncommonPosts: 338
    centkin said:
    Video games are something that is usually aimed at the young and twitchy -- people who are at the pinnacle of their hand-eye coordination -- the same crowd most TV shows are aimed at.

MMOs do not have to be set up that way.  Indeed in the old days when pings were much worse, games were set up differently. 

There are a LOT of aging gamers out there and people who weren't gamers but are empty nest, or retiring/retired who have the kind of time and patience needed to excel in an MMO but not the standard current MMO.

I think if some game company came up with something that specifically catered to the older crowd, it would do surprisingly well. 
    I mean, I assume this could be achievable though as a late-twenties man myself, I don't understand how you'd target over 40s with games?

What about that Pantheon mmorpg or WoW Classic?
  • FinvegaFinvega Member RarePosts: 260
    Ha! I was old when I first fired up Asheron's Call back in the day. Been retired now for quite a while. :smiley:
    Hatefull