Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Almost MMO and Me - Bill Murphy - MMORPG.com

13»

Comments

• klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
    edited March 2019
    klash2def said:

Its REALLY funny to see the same people who spit on me for explaining "MMO-Lite" accept this article for explaining "Almost MMO" as if its something different lol.

Call it MMO-Lites or Almost MMO whatever you choose but newsflash, its the same thing. The point is and always has been for me that MMO's have evolved to meet the demands of the new society. This isn't the last time either. Its going to happen a few more times in our lifetime. 

I said this same exact thing already. But whatever, as long as you can see you were wrong I'm happy.  MMOs evolved right in front of you. 

I super agree with this article. I think its weird that people who love MMORPGs cant see the MMO in these games but hey.. whatever I guess.

More to come.
    I don't think many would argue these games don't share traits with MMOs.

"Does a country song having an electric guitar in it make it metal?  Why not, metal has electric guitars?  In fact, electric guitars are actually a staple of metal music!" That kind of thing.

Most are simply saying that merely including multiplayer does not mean it's automatically the same genre as WoW.
    nope. Horrible analogy. Metal and Country are like Madden and WoW. Destiny and WoW is like Bluegrass and Country. See the difference?

Also you just did what people kept doing to me this entire time. I mention MMO Lite, and people go crazy with horrible analogies, wtf comments like  "adding MP doesn't make it wow" or the favorite "you cant change the meaning of words" then it goes into this whole shitshow about semantics when really if you sthu and look you will see that I'm right. 

Look, I never said it's the same as wow, I never said including MP makes the same genre..I broke it down in great detail several times actually.. and I gave up talking about it last year. I don't care anymore, think what you want, its not stopping my fun or my opinion.

I know the difference between a MMORPG and this newer thing. I only ever pointed out that the newer thing came from the MMO family tree. Its a direct member of the family tree. People made several threads, taunting me, disrespecting me, outright saying I'm stupid..tried to derail me, kept talking about number of players being the most important thing.. but all I ever did was describe MMO lite and how they are the evolution of the MMO.  Go read the threads, its proof of how much people really despise change.

I named the games that fit the MMOLite bill. Its not just any game with co-op or just any game with MP. I called it when Destiny came out. This is the future of the MMO, like it or not. So many people here said "Games like Destiny can never be MMO because its not Massive enough"  As if number of simultaneous players is the sole factor in if a game can be from the MMO family or not. 

I cant vouch for what other people believe but I know what I said, and I know what people told me on this site. It doesn't matter anymore because the proof of what I said is here for you to see yourself.

Post edited by klash2def on
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

• sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    Such a missed opportunity - could have called them alMMOst
    Scotklash2defpaulythebPhry
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,992
    Such a missed opportunity - could have called them alMMOst
    My NotMMOsatall does not fit so well, well played. :)
    sunandshadow
  • jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571
    I used to be a rabid FPS player until the arrival of EQ and in a very short time I changed almost exclusively to playing MMORPG's. In the last few years that's changed again and I now find myself looking forward to single player games more and more. I don't mean these games as a service types either, I mean true single player games. I tried the likes of the Division, Destiny and Anthem and all I see are cash grabs, light on content, heavy on repetition and rife with cash shops on top of a triple A price tag.

On top of that, the sheer toxicity of the online game communities has become so bad I just can't be bothered dealing with them any more.

Just waiting for Cyberpunk 2077 now. Maybe Ashes of Creation will be different, but I won't hold my breath.
  • Kane72Kane72 Member UncommonPosts: 211
    I'm exactly the same. I spent my 20s and part of my 30s only playing MMOs and then late 30s was just a select few and no other game.

Now, I play Anthem, Division 2, Destiny 2 and Call of Duty Black Ops / Blackout (I can squeeze 10 minutes of this game in and still accomplish something! i.e. a team deathmatch) and love the fact I can log in, do a mission or achieve something tangible, and get back to the real world within the hour, completely satisfied, if that's all the time I have to spare.

When I used to play Wow or EVE, I never felt that an hour here and there was enough and I spent far too much time in the games. I can no longer do that, with a wife, two youngsters, a business and jobs round the house, so an hour here and there satisfies me because I can do something meaningful in those games. I could never get this with MMOS.

I can't remember the last time I logged into an MMO and I have no desire to now. I'm interested in the genre in the hope or expectation of trying out something interesting and new, but the days of logging into WoW to run the same dungeons from one day to the next are behind me.

Perhaps this is some of the problem with few really new AAA MMOs - the demographics of the players is changing and unless it is already established (like WoW) it may struggle to achieve it's financial goals.

klash2def
  • Pher0ciousPher0cious Member RarePosts: 490
    O nline
    M ultiplayer
    G ames
    RidelynnScotpaulythebMadFrenchieNildenPhryYashaX
    ('''\( ',.:.,' )/''')
  • TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
    That is one of the things I like about ESO is you can get in do a couple of things, and still feel like you have accomplished something even though you didn't spend all day doing it.
  • paulythebpaulytheb Member UncommonPosts: 363
    Teala said:
    That is one of the things I like about ESO is you can get in do a couple of things, and still feel like you have accomplished something even though you didn't spend all day doing it.

TBH all Elder Scrolls games are like that. The world just sits there and waits for you. You can play Skyrim, do a couple things and log off. Six months later you can hop right back into it. It's not too tough to remember where you are and what your goals were by just perusing the constellations.

My favorite Skyrim Character is only like level 7. All I do with that character is hunt deer with a bow. I leveled up the character just enough to be able to stealth a little, to get close enough, and  to shoot a bow with enough damage to usually drop one. It is better than most hunting games.

Games are what you the player make of them. My problem is that I no longer find MMORPG's fun.
    I don't care for the alMMOst Looter Shooters either. I do like ARPG's though, so at least I got that going for me.

( Note to self-Don't say anything bad about Drizzt.)

An acerbic sense of humor is NOT allowed here.

• TalemireTalemire Member UncommonPosts: 839
    Yeah, if Pantheon or Ashes don't deliver, I may be hanging the gloves up.
    Isaiah 41:10
  • RoxRocksRoxRocks Member UncommonPosts: 19
    I hate to break it to you, but hitting your 40s is no guarantee you will have more game time. I'm in my 60s and have trouble finding time. I have about 20 games loaded but only play a couple regularly, with most of my time being spent in ESO. It's still very populated and active and I can still do a quest, delve, or craft with just an hour, which is often all I get for the day. I like many of the others and sometime dip into them on weekends, but I like to focus on one or two so I feel like I'm accomplishing something. I tell myself I'll play ALL of them when I retire, but my mom tells me I'll still be busy--yeah, busy playing! LOL
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Don't worry if you're a frustrated MMORPG player who no longer has time to play like you used to because of kids, job pressures and busy schedules !

Those things all go away eventually...

Glorious retirement awaits, where you will have more time to game than you ever imagined possible ! :D
  • WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Well... At least you didn't say you could get an exotic out of Destiny 2, Bill... ^^ Anthem, Destiny 2 and Warframe are about all I play these days. I'm hoping that Anthem will redeem itself over the next year or so. It has a great deal of potential. As for Destiny 2... If Bungie would ever drop enhancement cores, so that progression wasn't like pulling teeth... But thats unlikely as long as their Dev's are stuck on their Vision™ of how things must be...
    "If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."