Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So, did something go horribly wrong?

QuarterStackQuarterStack Member RarePosts: 546
Hello, fellow mmorpg-ers...

Serious question here... I've been thinking of checking out DnL again recently and have been a bit surprised to see that there's consistently no one streaming it on Steam (used to be a decent number of people), meanwhile Ark is still going fairly strong.  

Then I look on Steam, and its reviews have gone really downhill overall.

Did something go catastrophically wrong with that game or something? An update screw everything up, etc?

Thanks.

Comments

• QuarterStackQuarterStack Member RarePosts: 546
    edited March 2019
    Correction: I meant no one streaming it on Twitch. 

Also, what happened to the edit function? Are you not allowed to edit original posts anymore?
    DMKano said:

Also, what happened to the edit function? Are you not allowed to edit original posts anymore?

The edit function is on the upper right not under the post when you make new post.

What happened- the game obviously has no long term appeal. People got bored and moved on
    Re: Editing posts. My reply to myself has the gear. My original post doesn't. 
    Re: People lost interest... If it were just the complete drop-off on Twitch, that'd be one thing. But it's the drop-off on Twitch, combined with the drastic decrease in overall rating on Steam. I'm wondering if there's a cause and effect involved, and was curious if anyone familiar with the game knew of anything.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    DMKano said:

The edit function is on the upper right not under the post when you make new post.

What happened- the game obviously has no long term appeal. People got bored and moved on
    Re: Editing posts. My reply to myself has the gear. My original post doesn't. 
    Re: People lost interest... If it were just the complete drop-off on Twitch, that'd be one thing. But it's the drop-off on Twitch, combined with the drastic decrease in overall rating on Steam. I'm wondering if there's a cause and effect involved, and was curious if anyone familiar with the game knew of anything.

To edit the original post of a thread, the gear is not at the top right corner of that particular post.  Rather, it's at the top right corner of the entire thread.  Find the banner line that says:

Discussions > Game Forums > Dark and Light

Then move to the right along that line.  The gear should be in the right corner of the box where that line appears.
  • LuidenLuiden Member RarePosts: 336
    Given what this brand/game did 15 years ago, I'm shocked that anybody played it.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    DMKano said:

Sounds like it doesn't have much short term appeal either.
    Quizzical said:

To edit the original post of a thread, the gear is not at the top right corner of that particular post.  Rather, it's at the top right corner of the entire thread.  Find the banner line that says:

Discussions > Game Forums > Dark and Light

Then move to the right along that line.  The gear should be in the right corner of the box where that line appears.
    Well that's a really odd place for it. Okay, well now I know where it is at least lol.

Thanks!
    edited March 2019
    Rhoklaw said:
    Well, it might have something to do with the fact of the server merges going horribly wrong. People transferring their characters and pet getting lost in limbo and Snail games not giving an ounce of energy to fixing it.
    There you go. That's exactly the kind of thing I can imagine angering people enough to stop playing it and/or drop its ratings. Especially those who'd put tons of hours into it by that point.

Yeah that would suck lol. 
    Luiden said:
    Given what this brand/game did 15 years ago, I'm shocked that anybody played it.
    Totally different game now, though. Some similarities in terms of lore/setting, etc. Also, from the conversations I had with other players, many didn't even know it had a "previous life".

Snail Games basically turned it into Ark with Dragons and Elves instead of Dinosaurs and Lasers (and many other differences, I'm just trying to be pithy). I liked DnL's setting and gameplay. Moreso than Ark. Set it down for a while because it was sucking up too much of my time, actually. Didn't think I'd come back to find a ghost town.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    edited March 2019
    Luiden said:
    Totally different game now, though. Some similarities in terms of lore/setting, etc. Also, from the conversations I had with other players, many didn't even know it had a "previous life".

Snail Games basically turned it into Ark with Dragons and Elves instead of Dinosaurs and Lasers (and many other differences, I'm just trying to be pithy). I liked DnL's setting and gameplay. Moreso than Ark. Set it down for a while because it was sucking up too much of my time, actually. Didn't think I'd come back to find a ghost town.

Snail's strategy is to repackage ARK into another game, (DnL) market the heck out of it for early access bucks, and then put development on the back burner.

They then open a new studio, reskin Ark into another "new game" which they've recently done with their pirate themed title, Atlas and likely where you'll find the streamers if any are still following.

Don't believe me? They are doing it again with their "new" recently announced Outlaws of the Old West.

https://www.pcgamer.com/outlaws-of-the-old-west-is-a-survival-sandbox-cowboy-game-with-elaborate-morality/

Even money has a Space Themed Ark reskin as the most likely next title. 

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    Looks like these guys are turning their one success into an asset flip. Sickening.

They had a huge chance to reach more people with DnL. But for me anyway the small server player count, lack of server economy really holds back the survival genre. 

I may give their new asset flip a try because I love the Western setting as I did the fantasy setting of DnL. But I have no unrealistic expectations that it will be good this time.