Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMOs catering to people over 40 (or even over 50)

centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527
Video games are something that is usually aimed at the young and twitchy -- people who are at the pinnacle of their hand-eye coordination -- the same crowd most TV shows are aimed at.

MMOs do not have to be set up that way.  Indeed in the old days when pings were much worse, games were set up differently. 

There are a LOT of aging gamers out there and people who weren't gamers but are empty nest, or retiring/retired who have the kind of time and patience needed to excel in an MMO but not the standard current MMO.

I think if some game company came up with something that specifically catered to the older crowd, it would do surprisingly well. 
BaalzharonnatpickLadyVixPalebaneRueTheWhirlbcbullyMoariNKSBFordAdamantineAmatheand 6 others.

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    edited March 2019
    Stop that! I may be mostly dead, but I'm not dead yet.

Yes, its true, not very good at twitch combat but that's more of a matter of preference rather than lack of ability in most games outside of pure shooters 

You know one of my best friends is a 48 year old female who my wife has often accused as being my "younger woman."

It's all relative....but never date a relative.

:D 
    deniterJamar870Gobstopper3DMensurHatefullRueTheWhirlMoariNKSBFordAlBQuirkyZorlofeand 4 others.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527
    Kyleran said:

Yes, its true, not very good at twitch combat but that's more of a matter of preference rather than lack of ability in most games outside of pure shooters 

You have joined the older crowd -- embrace it. 
    craftseekerGladDog
  • LimnicLimnic Member RarePosts: 1,116
    As long as it popped up a reminder every four hours to take their old-people meds, otherwise it might be dangerous.
    KyleranRueTheWhirlOctagon7711AlBQuirkyAzaron_NightbladecraftseekerMrMelGibson
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    I'm a bit confused at what you are trying to get at. MMOs are a general genre? Cause there's plenty of them that cater to any demographic. If you MMORPGs, the sub-genre, those are tailored around pretty much the 'general' populace. I mean, just because someone can't physically do everything well in a game doesn't mean it should be removed just for them. Its like me asking for mmorpgs to go back to being community dependent with less developer handholding. Some people will 'say' they want those days but they were more than likely the same people buying in game currency when it was a big thing during those times. MMOs in general have come to the point they have because the numbers want them to. Its all just supply and demand.
    Hluill
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    i kind of lost interest in online shooters once 56k ended and dsl was the norm.With 56k it felt like we were ONLINE gaming,with dsl the shooters feel op,like very little thinking and ALL twitch aiming.
    Only my7 opinion but i feel ALL games should have a high level of strategy thinking and not just twitch based.I have no problem with fast paced aiming combat but within reason and again i need strategy.
    I recently watched my fave shooter growing up "Unreal"the new version and man alive,no way could i get into that.Don't get me wrong the players are VERY skilled,i would have literally zero chance unless i played for a few months everyday.However even as skilled as they are,they play the game like a mad addiction of people with ADD,very fast and just no care for defense,all out whomever kills first wins,toss strategy out the window.

I would argue this has nothing to do with games designed for ANY age in particular,just imo poorly designed games for the reason i stated,here SHOULD be more layers to gaming than just aiming.

However i think age groups do think somewhat similar,i noticed a lot of older people playing Atlas,like i run into about 70-30 older versus younger.So the type of game design will definitely attract a different crowd.Personally i could play anything within reason,just design it really well and i am good to go.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• PaleridersPaleriders Member UncommonPosts: 37
    I know a few 50+ to 70+ players and they do play less twitchy games. Wiz101, Pirate 101, LOTRO, other RPGS.  They just accept they will never be in a "raiding" guild/clan in games like LOTRO.
    SBFordgunklacker
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Kyleran said:

Jamar870natpickAlBQuirky
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    I know a few 50+ to 70+ players and they do play less twitchy games. Wiz101, Pirate 101, LOTRO, other RPGS.  They just accept they will never be in a "raiding" guild/clan in games like LOTRO.
    I played high level TSW dungeons with a 70+ guildie and these were brutal and twitchy. He rocked them. Another 60+ guildie I played WoW with (god bless her soul) was a high level raiding warlock in TBC and kicked ass. Just saying.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    HluillSBFordAlBQuirkygunklackeratonico
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527
    lahnmir said:
    I played high level TSW dungeons with a 70+ guildie and these were brutal and twitchy. He rocked them. Another 60+ guildie I played WoW with (god bless her soul) was a high level raiding warlock in TBC and kicked ass. Just saying.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    And yes, the older crowd actually needs to hide their age often in such games or be prejudiced.  There are a lot of guilds out there who really don't want someone who is over 50.  There are more people in the older demographics than one would think.

Gobstopper3Dcraftseeker
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    sure blame age for you lack of coordenation, I still keep the same movement, if not better then when I was young
    SovrathKyleranHatefull
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,429
    I've always been into more tactical and "smarter" games, even when i was in my twenties. It's not about the age of a gamer as much as it is their preferences and gaming taste.

Action games can be fun and they have lots of fans, but there's room for other kind of games as well. Action gamers get way too much love from gaming companies these days if you ask me.
  • DAOWAceDAOWAce Member UncommonPosts: 432
    I wish I could play Wish online again.

Or more accurately, wish they didn't cancel it in beta.

Longing to play an MMORPG like that again..

That aside, I'm in my early 30's but I'm suffering from arthritis and can't play WASD based games unless I use a gamepad.  A slower paced MMO would be better for me.. but I'm not some spreadsheet type person (hello EVE).  Can't quite stand non-action combat games now though.  Auto-attack stuff is not engaging whatsoever, but conflicts with my situation now.

Really not sure what's a good fit nowadays..
  • Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    My gaming ability has never been the same since I had a gap in playing around 19 to 23 or so. I used to be able zone in and be intense but I don't care anymore so it doesn't happen as often.

I still do very good in NBA games because I have a basketball mind.  I do good in fighting games because I am good at counter.  Not as good as I was but yeah.  FPS I mostly suck.  Had a stretch when I was was awesomely good but long past now. Sometimes I will stream and other times I just die.  MMORPG I am ok but get more confused with attacks and buttons.

I will be 40 Friday.
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967

"As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • ElalandElaland Member UncommonPosts: 40
    I love seeing threads about [us] older players.  I think there is something to be said about some general preferences in different age groups, but of course there is a lot of variation depending on individual tastes.  A lot of people my age saw their first mouse, keyboard, or gaming pad as adults and so did not develop that inate familiarity that is oriented towards twitch type games or FPS.  I still only casually play console games to this day because I have to work too hard to master quick, precise movements with a game controller (and I remember buying the very first Playstation console followed by others)  Computers on the other hand I started with in college (my first computer programs were written not on a computer screen but on punch cards, with the results later provided as hard copies from a line printer).   It was literally years after that before the IBM PC was born and I loved how that opened up the gaming world, but it does orient me towards the more traditional successful MMO's out there even though I'm not above trying a few other things once in awhile.
    craftseeker
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,885
    edited March 2019
    I am 62+ I am playing Anarchy Online and loving it.

I lie and say I am 60 most days, I wonder why I bother.  I should say I am even younger to make a real difference.
    [Deleted User]HatefullSBFord

edited March 2019
    sure blame age for you lack of coordenation, I still keep the same movement, if not better then when I was young
    If they are 60+ then I buy the "old" moniker.

Too often I've seen people in their 40's and 50's say they're "old."

*insert "really?" emoji here*
    SBFordcraftseeker

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Sovrath said:

Depends on what you are talking about.  Games and sports you generally are old once you get out your 30s.  Even your 30s can be greatly diminished. Reflexes are nowhere near what they used to be.
    craftseekerTuor7
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,885
    My gaming ability has never been the same since I had a gap in playing around 19 to 23 or so. I used to be able zone in and be intense but I don't care anymore so it doesn't happen as often.

I still do very good in NBA games because I have a basketball mind.  I do good in fighting games because I am good at counter.  Not as good as I was but yeah.  FPS I mostly suck.  Had a stretch when I was was awesomely good but long past now. Sometimes I will stream and other times I just die.  MMORPG I am ok but get more confused with attacks and buttons.

I will be 40 Friday.
    My god how I wish I was 40 lol.
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]SBFordChingocraftseekerTuor7

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Sovrath said:

Depends on what you are talking about.  Games and sports you generally are old once you get out your 30s.  Even your 30s can be greatly diminished. Reflexes are nowhere near what they used to be.
    Look at Olympic level gymnastics.  You're considered over the hill before you hit legal drinking age.

Vermillion_RaventhalTuor7

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• GregorMcgregorGregorMcgregor Member UncommonPosts: 263
    If I'm honest, I don't feel that there is any. Only one I looked upon as "mature" and not full of the "Loot NOW!" & "Faster, faster!" crowd of younglings was Dark Age of Camelot, alas it is a dead Duck in the UK/EU.
    I miss Excalibur & Prydwyn servers. :(
    Oh, and I'm 49, my brain thinks it's 29 though. ;)

No trials. No tricks. No traps. No EU-RP server. NO THANKS!

...10% Benevolence, 90% Arrogance in my case!
    Sovrath said:

I think when people are saying they are "old" they are saying that "they are old."

I think most people on this site aren't competitive "professional gamers."

Since apparently that's a thing.
    AlBQuirky

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
    Breathe deep the gathering gloom
    Watch lights fade from every room
    Bedsitter people Look back and lament
    Another day's useless Energy spent
    Impassioned lovers wrestle as one
    Lonely man cries for love and has none
    New mother picks up and suckles her son
    Senior citizens wish they were young
    Cold hearted orb that rules the night
    Removes the colours from our sight
    Red is grey and yellow white

But we decide which is right
    And which is an Illusion?

you do not really need to be a twitch master to play mmo's
    Tuor7
    Mendel said:
    Sovrath said:

Look at Olympic level gymnastics.  You're considered over the hill before you hit legal drinking age.

Yep.  When they talk about sports stars being over the hill and they 5 or 6 years younger than me. *sad face* 

I can't even see the screen anymore like I used.  Literally woke up one day couldn't read text on the screen anymore.  Have to sit closer to the screen now lol.