Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to Avoid DDOS When Gaming (SPONSORED) - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited March 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageHow to Avoid DDOS When Gaming (SPONSORED) - MMORPG.com

Have you ever been in the middle of an online gaming session, when all of a sudden, your connection dropped? Of course, this usually tends to happen at the worst time ever, such as right in the middle of an extremely intense one on one battle, and then out of nowhere, your ping spikes and it’s game over.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,818
    Fortunately these fellows are easy for the police to track down as the evil cowls they wear and binary number décor are a dead give away.
    onelesslightalkarionlogsschruppinfomatzZenJellyTacticalZombehWraithoneZorlofe
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882
    edited March 2019
    This article is bullshit.

DDOS attacks against MMOs are normally targeted against game servers. Because you aren't running a game server while you play an MMO, you don't need to take any DDOS protection.

Keeping your computer and home network secure are always good things, but this article is just stupid.
    dinognonelesslightalkarionlogSamhael[Deleted User]MendeldoomexJimWraithMoariNKZenJellyand 2 others.

• BobVaBobVa Member UncommonPosts: 125
    If any of this sounds familiar, you’ve likely witnessed a DDoS attack.

Your you know .. is just your ISP.

As you said, in order for an attacker to start a DDoS attack, one needs to know the "victim" IP address. Andso, is extremely hard to find someone's IP address unless the "attacker" knows the "victim" and is trying to make a direct connection in order to find the IP address.

So, if one finds himself DDoS'ed ( very unlikely ), changes are that it's a random attack and not targeted specifically to the gamer itself.

This article is very misleading. VPN offers , as your article from PcGamers says ( which btw, has nothing to do with 'protecting the gamer from DDoS' ) privacy over the internet. Gaming through VPN should be OK only if you are playing a game which is .. on the other side of the world so to speak.

Anyway , I do not recommend buying a VPN just because of .."DDoS". I don't know who greenlighted this paid article , but .. no matter how much $ the guy paid mmorpg.com , I would of never allowed it here. It has nothing to do with Games!

MendeldoomexDragnelusJimWraith
  • LtldoggLtldogg Member UncommonPosts: 282
    Geez, what a shameful SPONSORED article trying to fear people into spending money on a VPN that they DO NOT need for DDOS attacks. What a joke this site is. Shameful.
    [Deleted User]JeffSpicoliLenoxdoomexDragnelusJimWraithZenJellyScot
  • ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    Ltldogg said:
    Geez, what a shameful SPONSORED article trying to fear people into spending money on a VPN that they DO NOT need for DDOS attacks. What a joke this site is. Shameful.
    Then stop coming. They need to make money too ya know ;)
    alkarionlogSamhaelJeffSpicolidoomexDragnelusZenJellyWraithone
  • timeraidertimeraider Member UncommonPosts: 865
    edited March 2019
    Wait a second.. DDOS on a client PC instead of the servers everyone connects to...

i mean.. im not a old-blown veteran but i have been working as paid IT guy for 40 hours a week for the last few years and i can say that there is not a single reason or use for any group to ddos a freaking client. It will only cost them resources, money and time .. and then what.. they stopped a few players from being able to game. And i might need to add that they will actually need specific network information about each individual.

Just to conclude.. chance of you getting DDOSd on your PC itself is multiple times smaller than the chance of getting hit by lightning, 3 times, while in a studio with rubber floor, walls and ceiling. Stupidest article ive seen in a while. They must have been paying a good amount.
    black9iceMendelJimWraithZenJellyWraithone
    Ashes of Creation Referral link - Help me to help you!
    https://ashesofcreation.com/r/Y4U3PQCASUPJ5SED
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Wait a second.. DDOS on a client PC instead of the servers everyone connects to...

i mean.. im not a old-blown veteran but i have been working as paid IT guy for 40 hours a week for the last few years and i can say that there is not a single reason or use for any group to ddos a freaking client. It will only cost them resources, money and time .. and then what.. they stopped a few players from being able to game. And i might need to add that they will actually need specific network information about each individual.

Just to conclude.. chance of you getting DDOSd on your PC itself is multiple times smaller than the chance of getting hit by lightning, 3 times, while in a studio with rubber floor, walls and ceiling. Stupidest article ive seen in a while. They must have been paying a good amount.
    It's a very small chance but I've seen it happen in specific things. In competitive shooters there have been multiple times on my team where someone has their internet knocked out while playing by another player. I'm not talking in an online lobby though, it's usually on like a tournament website like CAL (when that was still around) or an invite only league in a game where the match is hosted by a player and not the company. I'm not sure if it's the same as a DDOS but I do know they usually have some way of checking what the IP of the players are, and they can flood their IP to get them knocked offline and potentially win the match through that. 

Obviously a normal user isn't going to have this happen, as they would need to be targeted, and that's extremely unlikely. 
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    just ignore the idiot of this article and let this thing die
    [Deleted User]doomex
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,495

Ltldogg said:

Then stop coming. They need to make money too ya know ;)

I agree that they need to make money. But spreading bad information isn't the right way and is giving them a bad reputation.
    [Deleted User]Mendeldoomexinfomatz
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    edited March 2019

Scot said:

Fortunately these fellows are easy for the police to track down as the evil cowls they wear and binary number décor are a dead give away.

Yeah the Anklebiters are the kids who use mommy's computer to play Fortnite, launch DDOS attacks, or make threats easy to get tracked by Law Enforcement.

The more high profile cases such as Identity Theft, Advanced DDOS attacks, Turning computers into Zombies and launching attacks remotely, honestly it's all pretty easy to do especially theft of identity these days becuase high profile places some I know of irl don't even take the time to secure their networks properly.

If you own a site or server > Use Cloudflare very easy to use.

Getting rid of advertisements and annoying your using an adblocker message?

https://pi-hole.net/

Use Pi-Hole a hardware based ad-blocker solution.

If I ever get hit by an attack I just call my ISP and ask them for a new IP address, or run down and swap out my modem but it really doesn't happen anyways.

Also people who use RF-ID cards for their security, or thumb scanners do know these are vulnerable to hackers, easy to clone an RF-ID Card, especially if it's used at a major facility such as hospitals, or loan companies where people take in secure information, and when those doctors walk out of the room leaving their "dell computers" with open USB / RJ-4 ports, as well as giving access to RF-ID clones hmmm, ever wonder how big data breaches happen?

Pro-Tip if your going to use RF-ID technology make sure theres also a pin code, or password too.

What's even more interesting is using a persons own wi-fi password to send out the data without ever stepping foot on their property a second time, make sure your routers names are covered / hidden too and your default passwords are changed (Im totally serious here i've seen it, and gotten into trouble for reporting it to management before.)
    JimWraithGdemamiHashbrick
  • doomexdoomex Member UncommonPosts: 150
    Another sponsored shitty review just like fallout76 being rated a 7. Joke of a site...
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Fearmongering at its best.  Silly article, silly premise, silly advice.  A pretty shameful article, bordering on misinformation.  The likelihood of an individual (client) being attacked by a DDOS attack is extremely remote.

JimWraithMoariNK[Deleted User]ScotSamhael

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    Don’t forget they get paid for these articles. 
  • DarkHighDarkHigh Member UncommonPosts: 157
    edited March 2019
    01100110 01110101 01100011 00100000 01110100 01101000 01100101 01111010 00100000 01100011 01110101 01101011 01110011 Project that on yourself please.
    Scotdoomex
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    Code your game better.
    It's really that simple. A game is quite capable to detect if it's being sent a bunch of random packets from a large number of IP addresses and automatically deal with it. The fact it isn't is just a lack of resources committed to net coding.
    GdemamiHashbrick
  • someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    I doubt that many gamers have been the target of DDOS attacks themselves. Maybe a server they played on, but still it is a weird reason to use VPN.
    With VPN there is also a high change that you will have higher latency in games.

Cleffy said:

Code your game better.
    It's really that simple. A game is quite capable to detect if it's being sent a bunch of random packets from a large number of IP addresses and automatically deal with it. The fact it isn't is just a lack of resources committed to net coding.

That makes no sense. The way some types of DDOS works, means you can't protect from it by ' coding your game better'.

You also don't want the game server having to deal with it. Big online games , don't run just simple dedicated servers that handle everything.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Most internet security software suites come with a VPN service these days, getting a seperate VPN is probably a waste of time and money, i'll stick with Avast, rather than some random never heard of before company.
    MendelHatefull
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I'll have to double check but I seem to remember a setting on my router to filter DDOS attacks?  Or at least I remember reading something about setting up routers to help avoid this as some gamers were complaining about getting knocked offline during gameplay competitions.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• tomek2626tomek2626 Member UncommonPosts: 35
    sponsored vnp bulshit to get gamers paranoic to buy thay service what buslhiet scam articel
    Ltldogg
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    If the article is so paranoid about DDOS attacks, then why does it fail to mention the best possible solution, playing offline games?  Can't deny what I'm not using.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502

doomex said:

Another sponsored shitty review just like fallout76 being rated a 7. Joke of a site...

The stop coming here.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Belongs on the side with other advertisements,it is not front page gaming news nor is it related to anything gamer's come here to read.

Other sites don't do this,they also have to pay bills and eat,so there is no excuse for operating a site on subpar standards.

Hatefull said:

doomex said:

The stop coming here.

I garner a bet people come here to find out stuff from OTHER people and not always this sites constant advertising.
    Besides that SOMETIMES this site has some good articles,that doesn't mean you totally write off a site when they show bad decision making.Matter of fact this analogy is worse than ridiculous,imagine if all married couples just left after they disagreed on something,there would be no marriages left.
    But hey that is a BRILLIANT well thought out response..pffft,is this Twitch chat or something?

BTW ,for the record i would give Fallout 76 a 3/10.meaning not worth buying or playing.
    As for DDOS advertisements,0.1/10 on the gamers need to know basis.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• tomek2626tomek2626 Member UncommonPosts: 35
    edited April 2019
    to do things clear when you play online games you ip is know to server side only of game publisher so haw the f.. you supos to be ddos be game owner ? if you got decent knowleg you know vnp is not need to play eny online gaming just bulshiet to get som naive custumers who panic cos thay get som lag and think it ddos insted juat turn off thay online backrund runing programs like mail who chek evry 5 min for new meseg or mensenger or eny other comunicators tah constantly update they online status sending inf that cus lag in game this articel is missliding i wuld iven sey scam to think you need vnp service to play lag free
    Hashbrick