Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

900$ from Newegg...pick me a new one

MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&N=100897449 4022

help me out I work 75 hours a week and don't have much time to investigate, keep it around 900 best bang for the buck

I know a bunch of you guys are awesome at this

thanks in advance

Comments

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    also the most intense games I play are like Path of Exile, will play Torchlight Frontiers, Wolcen, some D3 every once in a while, Neverwinter, etc
    bump
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited March 2019
    I don't have a suggestion, i'm also interested in the feedback.

But i wanted to say that if i had to work 75 hours a week i would personally consider getting a laptop instead. I wouldn't want to be confined to a desktop at home after working so much. But it's preference of course.

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,404
    Really dislike prebuilts as it hard to get decent info about the parts in many cases.
    rojoArcueid

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

I don't have a suggestion, i'm also interested in the feedback.

But i wanted to say that if i had to work 75 hours a week i would personally consider getting a laptop instead. I wouldn't want to be confined to a desktop at home after working so much. But it's preference of course.
    I am on my feet basically 60 of those hours, I get home at night and want to chill and play a game for an hour or so
    edited March 2019
    Asm0deus said:
    Really dislike prebuilts as it hard to get decent info about the parts in many cases.
    while I agree, I dont need high end, but something that will last playing games like I listed for 4 or so years

I get lost looking at all these different I7 8300 ryzom 5t I5 9000 etc, it used to be a time I would just pick whatever had the most RAM, so to me looking at em, all I am used to looking at is 16 RAM

• GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
    edited March 2019
    This will keep you happy for several years, and all it would take is a video card update in about 3 years to take it to 6-7 years of good gameplay.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIABRD91T5727&ignorebbr=1

*EDIT* my bad, the video card on this is not upgradable, as it is basically a laptop in a desktop case.  However, it would still be a good 4 year machine.

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!

edited March 2019
    GladDog said:
    This will keep you happy for several years, and all it would take is a video card update in about 3 years to take it to 6-7 years of good gameplay.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIABRD91T5727&ignorebbr=1
    It has 230w power supply which is kind of low and we have no idea of the quality...I would fully expect it to crap out in a couple years.

To OP....  ryzen based cpus tend to be the budget option so if on a budget and you don't need "high end" I would go ryzen based that is 6cores with a decent video card like 1060 6gb min or maybe the new 1660 or 1660ti which should last you 3 to 4 years gpu wise.

The needing to know what the parts are isn't so much about a PC being high end but is important nonetheless as it dictates how long it wil last what can be easily upgrade and what can't etc.

Also it's refurbished which means it has broke down/crapped out already and has been repaired to more or less satisfactory standards.

Refurbished

"This means the product was tested and repaired as required to meet the standards of the refurbisher, which may or may not be the original manufacturer. Any exceptions to the condition of the item outside the manufacturer’s information should be provided in the listing, up to and including warranty details."

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    edited March 2019
    Save 600 more if you are gonna buy a premade to get one in the 1500 range from a company that will actually use good components. Maybe try out Maingear or Sager.

And don't buy that "refurbished" computer that GladDog suggested cause it was already sent back once(or more) as defective. Do you know that a computer can be sent back an 'X' amount of times to a store before it is required to be sent back to the manufacturer to be fixed? go into any Best Buy and ask them and if they are honest will tell you. My friend was a manager at one and the deal they had with Asus is that it had to be returned by a customer TEN times before it is returned to Asus.
    Asm0deusGdemami
    BruceYee said:
    Save 600 more if you are gonna buy a premade to get one in the 1500 range from a company that will actually use good components.
    its not about the money, I just dont feel like sinking that much into a computer I used 10 hours a week
  • frostymugfrostymug Member RarePosts: 645
    From your list I would choose one of these two:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=3D5-000B-00094

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883230456

Narrowed down by having 16GB of RAM, which you will definitely want. Also, relatively modern and powerful CPU. And a newest generation GPU. If you want to roll for 4 years on it, I don't think you should compromise on any of those.

The first has a slightly better video card, whereas the second has more storage and a better CPU. If I had to pick one, it would be the second one. Cyberpower is generally well regarded, the power supply has more overhead. It is sold directly by Newegg.

Also, since the title says $900 and it won't be available until 4/1, you have a little over a week to round up the extra 99 bucks plus 10 for shipping.  :)
    frostymug said:
    From your list I would choose one of these two:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=3D5-000B-00094

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883230456

Narrowed down by having 16GB of RAM, which you will definitely want. Also, relatively modern and powerful CPU. And a newest generation GPU. If you want to roll for 4 years on it, I don't think you should compromise on any of those.

The first has a slightly better video card, whereas the second has more storage and a better CPU. If I had to pick one, it would be the second one. Cyberpower is generally well regarded, the power supply has more overhead. It is sold directly by Newegg.

Also, since the title says $900 and it won't be available until 4/1, you have a little over a week to round up the extra 99 bucks plus 10 for shipping.  :)
    It's the two I looked at as well though I didn't recommend as I generally build my own instead of buy premades and so I am not to familiar with the quality of these two brands putting em together.
    frostymug

• BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    edited March 2019
    How about this?

Upgrade RAM to 16gb
    Video Card to GTX1660
    Power Supply to either 500 or 750W.

Asm0deus said:

It's the two I looked at as well though I didn't recommend as I generally build my own instead of buy premades and so I am not to familiar with the quality of these two brands putting em together.
    Yeah, I build my own as well. Just narrowed down a few things, starting with the amount of RAM and ended up with those. I assume Cyberpower has decent mobos and power supplies since I've seen them recommended fairly often in these types of situations.
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    I would not assume anything good about a Cyberpower unit. If it doesn’t specify then assume it’s nothing worth mentioning...
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348
    CyberPower PC offers both good and bad power supplies on their site.  For example, see here:

https://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/VR-Ready-Deal-RTX-2070

So basically, they'll sell you a good power supply if you're willing to pay extra for it, but it's not part of the base build.

80 PLUS gold certification does exclude the worst power supplies.  But certification really isn't very stringent, and is entirely consistent with a power supply being rather bad but not completely awful.

It's also notable that most of the good power supply lines don't offer a 600 W model.  So CyberPower PC probably didn't find one to use in that computer.  If they had, they'd have told you so, rather than leaving you to guess.

Really, though, there's no need to wonder.  Rather than buying an off-the-shelf prebuilt, you can get one built to order.  A lot of sites will let you do that, and then you'll know what you're getting.  BruceYee linked to one such site, but there are plenty of others.
    Quizzical said:
    CyberPower PC offers both good and bad power supplies on their site.  For example, see here:

https://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/VR-Ready-Deal-RTX-2070

So basically, they'll sell you a good power supply if you're willing to pay extra for it, but it's not part of the base build.

80 PLUS gold certification does exclude the worst power supplies.  But certification really isn't very stringent, and is entirely consistent with a power supply being rather bad but not completely awful.

It's also notable that most of the good power supply lines don't offer a 600 W model.  So CyberPower PC probably didn't find one to use in that computer.  If they had, they'd have told you so, rather than leaving you to guess.

Really, though, there's no need to wonder.  Rather than buying an off-the-shelf prebuilt, you can get one built to order.  A lot of sites will let you do that, and then you'll know what you're getting.  BruceYee linked to one such site, but there are plenty of others.
    The problem, as is often the case when someone asks anything about hardware here, is that everyone is offering solutions outside of the scope of what the OP asked. Not on Newegg and over what he listed as price points.

If you get that Maingear that was linked you're getting...
    A Ryzen 3 2200G
    A Geforce 1050 Ti
    8 gigs of RAM
    a single 1TB spinner
    and... a 450W known mediocre, outdated power supply.

For 175 bucks over the listed budget. Worse in pretty much every regard, except possibly power supply quality where it is likely on par at best.

Even if it was in the original poster's scope, it would not be a good choice. The rest of the made to orders run roughly the same so it isn't an issue with just that one. That's a lot to trade for a known mediocre power supply vs an unknown higher power and efficiency, but very likely mediocre one.

If OP doesn't have time or desire to research parts, he probably doesn't have time to research a built to order one so we should probably build out something comparable for him in that price range. I tried a few. No dice here.

Myrdynn
    Frosty, I think it was either you or Quizz who helped me get a good power supply, thinking that might have been the issue with my last system, so I could always swap out that power supply.  Also have a vid card that is new a 1050 TI, that I can switch as well
    edited March 2019
    Fine then, try this:

https://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/VR-Ready-Syber-M-GTX-1660-Ti

Switch to AMD's Wraith Prism cooler (their best stock cooler), a 500 GB WD Blue SSD, and a Thermaltake Smart 600 W power supply and it comes to $971.  For that price, you get:

Ryzen 7 2700
    GeForce GTX 1660 Ti
    500 GB SSD
    16 GB (2x8 GB) DDR4 3000 MHz
    X470 motherboard

The power supply is probably mediocre, but it is likely better than what is in most computers that don't tell you what power supply they're using.  You can see the specs here;

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153395

No obvious red flags other than the price tag ($63 including shipping, which isn't egregious), but from the specs, it looks like it is at least a modern unit rather than a relic of another era.

That's likely a better computer for less money than either of the New Egg links that people gave above.  If buying from New Egg in particular is a hard requirement, then maybe you can't go with what I just linked.  But I'd question why buying a pre-built from New Egg in particular is a hard requirement, rather than merely that the computer must be pre-built.
    Quizz, I bought this from our last discussion

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151189
    Myrdynn said:

That's the power supply I have. Very solid PS. If you're comfortable with doing a PS swap then the Cyberpower from Newegg or the one Quiz built out that is largely the same with a few slight downgrades, but better mobo, would both be more than sufficient. In my opinion.
    Myrdynn said:

That's a better power supply than you're likely to find in any off-the-shelf pre-built computer.  If you're willing to swap a power supply in whatever you get, then that sure makes it a lot easier to end up with the good one that you already have.

If you compare what I picked out on CyberPower PC to frostymug's first link, my choice gets you a faster CPU, equivalent GPU, higher clocked memory, much better motherboard, much larger SSD, and no hard drive.  Compared to frostymug's second link, my choice gets you a slightly slower CPU, faster GPU, likely higher clocked memory, better motherboard, larger SSD, and no hard drive.  I think that what I picked also costs less money, but I might be mistaken, as it might add shipping later.  There could also be sales tax differences for a variety of complicated reasons.

The difference isn't an enormous one, but having the ability to pick parts does let you get exactly what you want.  Different people have different preferences on the storage configuration especially.

There's also the question of whether you have to buy from New Egg for some particular reason, or just linked it as a place to start the discussion.
    I got mixed up between the two links. The one Quiz built does have the better GPU. My mistake.

Trading mobo and GPU for slightly better CPU and more storage. 

Assuming you can reuse storage you currently have, the one he built probably works as a better platform for you to add your existing components to. Otherwise, you can pick up a decent 7200 rpm drive for under 100 bucks and add it in later.

I stuck with Newegg because you put it in the initial requirements and maybe you have gift cards or credit or whatever. If not, I'd probably go with the one he made. Warranty is going to be pretty irrelevant now that Newegg has made returns more difficult and cost a restock fee on many items.
    ahh ok thanks guys, yah only went with newegg just cause its easiest and i have an account there, also have 150$ in credit I just got for returning a heatsink and some other fans, thinking that might be the issue