Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Some Crafters Should Be Better Than Others

AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
In my opinion a player crafter ought to be able to cultivate some type of skill, to where they become able to make items that are qualitatively better than the average version of that item. That way crafters can earn a reputation in the community for their fine wares. In the few games I have played where this is true, I remember seeking out those crafters to try and buy from them. 

What do you think?

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

AlBQuirky[Deleted User]ScotCryomatrix4507

Comments

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    Amathe said:
    In my opinion a player crafter ought to be able to cultivate some type of skill, to where they become able to make items that are qualitatively better than the average version of that item. That way crafters can earn a reputation in the community for their fine wares. In the few games I have played where this is true, I remember seeking out those crafters to try and buy from them. 

What do you think?
    you still have the problem of the cap, eventually everyone would get on that lvl so you would not search for the crafter and yes the item, there is also teh whole problem with CS selling booster to help you do such cultivation faster, there is also some who would just make a crafter alt to supply his main, or in big guilds, some players would keep then to supply his whole guild with on cost items.

I think in the end of the day shadownbane aproach this teh right way, npcs craft things, you jsut supply then with mats, you could choose what suffix and prefix the item would have, so only thing you would worry about was the sieges
    AlBQuirky
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    I'd like to see that, somewhere, somehow. But as @alkarionlog pointed out, the current systems don't support that. Skill caps alone bugger it all up.

It'd be awesome, though, to work on a weight-adjusting bag until you had the best one out there, or armor pieces that outshone others, or weapons that had that extra "UMPH!" to them :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,014
    Amathe said:

What do you think?
    you still have the problem of the cap, eventually everyone would get on that lvl so you would not search for the crafter and yes the item, there is also teh whole problem with CS selling booster to help you do such cultivation faster, there is also some who would just make a crafter alt to supply his main, or in big guilds, some players would keep then to supply his whole guild with on cost items.

I think in the end of the day shadownbane aproach this teh right way, npcs craft things, you jsut supply then with mats, you could choose what suffix and prefix the item would have, so only thing you would worry about was the sieges
    If the system had other elements to it a "cap" wouldn't be the end all and be all.

Maybe there is no "cap" at all other than the level of items that you can make. Maybe it's all skill based with a variety of mini-games and in the moment decisions that go into creating an item.

Perhaps a small amount of rng to help determine quality.
    AlBQuirky4507
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    If crafters had control over style it would allow real life taste and talent to set them apart from the rest. 
    Vermillion_RaventhalAlBQuirky
  • anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    I think that games where a crafter have to spend a pool of skill points with combat skill is a start, if a poor start.  Since if this is the only thing the game does, the crafter is a drain on the party, and you'll only have crafter alts.

Crafter skills should also come with simple combat effects like "crafted gear has a passive 5% stat bonus", "for the next 3 hits stats from crafted armor is +80% bonused", and maybe something like "the next 3 enemy attacks don't use stats from their weapon slot".   So it turns into something like a Warrior that gives up their stun ability, to get something else related to their crafting.  Or a rogue that gives up stealth, to be able craft/use bombs.

Crafted and raid gear should have distinctions.   Raid gear should offer really cool build changing abilities, like being the only way to add lifesteal to normal attack.   While crafted gear, with a good bit of time put into it should have better stats (devs don't necessarily need to even disrupt the raid rat race by putting a stage of the crafting process in dungeons).
    AlBQuirky

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    If crafters had control over style it would allow real life taste and talent to set them apart from the rest. 
    Yep style of unique materials like SWG can separate things.  
  • iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    To have this work , you need something like 1 person / character that can't be use by other people.
  • LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    Sovrath said:
    Amathe said:

What do you think?

Maybe there is no "cap" at all other than the level of items that you can make. Maybe it's all skill based with a variety of mini-games and in the moment decisions that go into creating an item.
    That makes me think of Puzzle Pirates <3  I'm not advocating turning things into puzzle games, but that game had so many cool features to make player skill/actions matter.

I think most people interested in crafting would prefer a more unique-to-the-crafter system, but we all know that's a development nightmare, and that's why we end up with the lame, useless crafting we have in most MMOs.

The problem we see in the mini-games systems, to date, is that they really don't raise anyone above anyone else.  EQ2, FF14, etc., all ended up having those mini-games that were so simple anyone could do them anyway.  All they really did was make the crafting more tedious, rather than create any type of (player)skill-based crafting.

I definitely prefer more interactive, personalized crafted items.  But, it has to actually matter.  If it's just a tedious whack-a-mole, and everyone can max it and make everything anyway, then it's just a wasted system.
    AlBQuirky
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    I like the idea, but it cuts into the games' cash shop "cosmetics" :lol:
    Vermillion_Raventhal

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,014
    That's a tough one.

On one hand I completely agree. It "could" be done on a certain level. for example, I seem to remember seeing something about Final Fantasy 14 crafting where a crafter could alter the look of an item by masking/hiding certain pieces. Not sure if I have that correctly but I remember seeing some video about it.

I've mentioned this before but in Neverwinter nights (not the mmo) there was a trainer that allowed you to change various parts of the armor and weapon and then save it. It was very awesome.

Something like that could work. I'm reticent to say "yay" because I can imagine the monstrosities that players would make if they had actual full freedom.
    AlBQuirky
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Sovrath said:

I've mentioned this before but in Neverwinter nights (not the mmo) there was a trainer that allowed you to change various parts of the armor and weapon and then save it. It was very awesome.

Something like that could work. I'm reticent to say "yay" because I can imagine the monstrosities that players would make if they had actual full freedom.
    Interesting approach. 
    But, that would basically just be a crafter-side transmogrification system instead of the current player-side ones we see.
    It would certainly allow for more crafter DNA in the item, but it would also have to completely nullify player transmog systems in order to hold it up.  I don't know how much people would like that.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited March 2019
    Like some people said the cap would be an issue when everyone gets to that level. However, there is a much bigger problem that goes hand in hand with level cap, and that is the scripted amount of things one can craft.

Everyone has to choose the same materials from the same pool of materials to craft the same items at any level. That is a huge limitation to the crafting system and possibly impossible to fix.

I don't have an exact solution to this old problem, but I think it could be possible to get rid of recipes and expand the pool of resources. Let crafters create something via trial and error and write their own recipes to share/sell to other players.

Let people be more creative and create something out of anything. Quality would be based on the actual material (a wooden stick would break, a steel sword would get dull, etc), but have every object in the game be a crafting resource. This would still be a limitation of the crafting system in a video game but the pool of resources would literally be the entire game. Beyond that i don't think anything is possible. In reality, crafting can only happen with in-game items so a limitation is inevitable.
    AlBQuirky

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    I can remember seeking out crafters in Everquest who could make really good bows and quivers that most people could not make. I had to track them down, find a time when they weren't raiding that I could talk to them, and get them the mats (in person) to make what I needed. I remember being in awe of one of those crafters because she was famous on my server. 

All of that is gone anymore. :( 
    AlBQuirky

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Amathe said:

What do you think?
    I don't have a problem with crafted items having substantial differences.  What I do have issues with is the propensity for every player to have access to every crafting skill through a single character or across a series of alts.  That takes away the basic premise of crafting -- that not everyone has access to the same skills, and promotes the idea of self-sufficiency.  In an MMORPG, mechanisms that work against interaction are harmful, in my opinion.

So, let crafts build items from the same patterns with distinguishing abilities/statistics/characteristics in whatever ways the developers can devise.  Just don't let the same person do all crafts independently of others.

[Deleted User]4507

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    It would be nice, yes, but it is a pipe dream.  To really do this, the players would have to design the valid 'recipe' and provide the artwork for the item.  That would be tremendously expensive for any game developer to even attempt.  Players have to work with the developers skills and ideas can implement, not whatever we'd like.

AlBQuirky

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

Amathe said:
    I can remember seeking out crafters in Everquest who could make really good bows and quivers that most people could not make. I had to track them down, find a time when they weren't raiding that I could talk to them, and get them the mats (in person) to make what I needed. I remember being in awe of one of those crafters because she was famous on my server. 

All of that is gone anymore. :( 
    EQ made high-end crafters rare through sheer horrible design.  The crafting in EQ was just absolutely horrible to grind through.
    It wasn't hard or challenging or anything like that, it was just repetitive click click click click because you had to manually drag and place every single little material from window to window.

Well, you could argue it was also expensive.  The problem was that it cost a fortune to level up most of those skills and most of the stuff you made was worth squat and you ended up selling to a merchant.

You didn't have many high-end crafters in EQ, because it simply wasn't worth the effort.
    [Deleted User]AlBQuirky
    Mendel said:
    It would be nice, yes, but it is a pipe dream.  To really do this, the players would have to design the valid 'recipe' and provide the artwork for the item.  That would be tremendously expensive for any game developer to even attempt.  Players have to work with the developers skills and ideas can implement, not whatever we'd like.

It can all be done in game and the only "intervention" the team would need is following up on reports of offensive material. APB:Reloaded does it. Archeage does it. The mechanics are possible. The challenge is assembling it in such a way that allows crafters to be unique and make their mark.
  • PoliticaldadPoliticaldad Member UncommonPosts: 134
    it can and has been done in prior games in one fashion or another, it comes down to what are the Developers/Programmers willing or able to do.
    EQ/DAoC/SWG:ED as examples, even when you reach cap in ONE or TWO different crafts there are other crafts you'll suck at or Sub-Skills that you are short on and not able to produce high-end gear because of it that someone else who has Narrowed their skill to be awesome at one thing
  • TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    Amathe said:

What do you think?
    I think you should play Camelot Unchained.
    Amathe[Deleted User]

You stay sassy!

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Lokero said:
    EQ made high-end crafters rare through sheer horrible design.  The crafting in EQ was just absolutely horrible to grind through.
    EQ was full of things like that. It was 1999, and they didn't have 200 previous games to look at to see how other people did it and how that turned out. So some of their design elements ended up being a hard kick to the jimmies. 

That said, I still liked crafting in EQ, through I did not distinguish myself. And I did admire the folks who hung in there somehow and became exceptional at it.
    AlBQuirky

Another method that people don't seem to like is to make the grind horrifically long while each "level" nets a minuscule improvement.

Think about it for a moment. You start crafting and you are capable of crafting any item in the game. Maybe not every item, but every type so no matter what you are always able to craft anything. In real live I can turn a piece of ore into a knife or a sword, but it's probably going to suck. So you can craft some pretty crappy stuff.

As you practice by creating more and more swords, you improve your blacksmithing skills a little, and improve your sword making skills a bit more. If it takes 2 years to max out your sword crafting you'll be the best at it, decent at other blacksmithing and terrible at everything else.

You are now unique :)
    AlBQuirky
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    edited March 2019
    I agree, but I am afraid such design would be against the current design template of MMOs, no casual must feel he is missing out so putting in extra time yields few rewards.
    [Deleted User]AlBQuirky