Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPG.com : General : Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines 2 Announced

Comments

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

As the first video game showed, the penalty for unauthorized siring of a new vampire was death, most of the time for both the sire and the fledgling vampire.
    That was the one part I thought they did a decent job.  Apparently there was some MASS creation of vampires.  You're literally infront of the Council explaining what happened and something else happens to screw it up.  We'll see if that makes it to the game but it certainly explains some of the story decisions.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010
    edited March 2019
    Ikeda said:
    Here's my issue... 

IGN has an early hand's on preview (I suspect we'll see more publish throughout the day).  You start as a Light blood (or some such nonsense) and don't choose your Clan until later.

Now, from what little I can recall, your vampire clan was DETERMINED by the clan that bit you.  That was the point.  Otherwise, who would EVER purposely choose Nosferatu?

Other than that, it has my attention but I'm not sure.

Also, for those arguing... AFAIK it's on Steam, Epic, and GOG.  There may be other places as well.
    But the light bloods didn't have a clan. I think that was the whole issue.

In the video game you go to the beach on your way to your first mission which is to get some sort of explosive. On the beach there are some thin bloods. One of them says something to the effect that these people don't even know what happened to them.

I'm not sure if this clarifies thin bloods as for me it brings up more questions.

Also, in Vampire the Masquerade video game, you did choose your clan, including Nosferatu.

IkedaOctagon7711
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768
    Sovrath said:

Also, in Vampire the Masquerade video game, you did choose your clan, including Nosferatu.

I was going to say I remember choosing my clan. 

This is exciting news. I'm super excited to play this. 
    Sovrath
  • PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011
    edited March 2019
    Yay preorder exclusives. Got to love that highway bribery in case the game isn’t good enough to sell on it’s own merit.

[quote]otherwise, who would EVER purposely choose Nosferatu?[/quote] I would

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751
    edited March 2019
    Sovrath said:

VtMB you chose your clan in character creation (right?).  Then you were "sired" by someone in that clan.  Maybe I'm just misremembering.  We'll see.

Palebane said:

For a game, yea I guess.  But I make gaming decisions like I'd make real world ones.  I don't think I'd ever purposely want to deal with the issues Nosferatu deal with.  And to CHOOSE that instead of, say, Ventrue.  I dunno.  

Maybe this is all an elaborate setup for the start of Gehenna?
    Palebane said:
    Yay preorder exclusives. Got to love that highway bribery in case the game isn’t good enough to sell on it’s own merit.

I was watching a video of Vampire the Masquerade as I recently started playing it again (having never finished it due to other games)

In the video it showed that different clans/vampires had different powers. For nosferatu it showed that you had to really be in the shadows, sneak along the sewers, etc. That is a completely different way to approach the game and I can easily see that being hellah fun.

For people who don't like the idea of always hiding, sneaking, running and trying not to be seen, they might just not get it.

Also, none of the pre-order stuff looks like must have stuff. Not even playing it 24 hours in advance.

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Ikeda said:
    Sovrath said:

VtMB you chose your clan in character creation (right?).  Then you were "sired" by someone in that clan.  Maybe I'm just misremembering.  We'll see.

Palebane said:

For a game, yea I guess.  But I make gaming decisions like I'd make real world ones.  I don't think I'd ever purposely want to deal with the issues Nosferatu deal with.  And to CHOOSE that instead of, say, Ventrue.  I dunno.  
    Yes, I hear what you are saying. It probably would be easier to be a sexy vampire. I love scaring the shit out of people even if its not allowed. Plus the nosferatu were the underground information dealers. It may not be the most luxurious of the clans, but certainly they were one of the most respected and necessary clans.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

edited March 2019
    I hope it is an Epic exclusive, just so we can see a bunch of folks get their panties in a wad again about having to pay the exact same amount for the game on the Epic store as they would have on Steam. :D 
    How sadistic. I hope you get a flat tire in the rain with no cellphone for AAA.
    Caffynated

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited March 2019
    Sovrath said:
    Ikeda said:
    Here's my issue... 

IGN has an early hand's on preview (I suspect we'll see more publish throughout the day).  You start as a Light blood (or some such nonsense) and don't choose your Clan until later.

Now, from what little I can recall, your vampire clan was DETERMINED by the clan that bit you.  That was the point.  Otherwise, who would EVER purposely choose Nosferatu?

Other than that, it has my attention but I'm not sure.

Also, for those arguing... AFAIK it's on Steam, Epic, and GOG.  There may be other places as well.
    But the light bloods didn't have a clan. I think that was the whole issue.

In the video game you go to the beach on your way to your first mission which is to get some sort of explosive. On the beach there are some thin bloods. One of them says something to the effect that these people don't even know what happened to them.

I'm not sure if this clarifies thin bloods as for me it brings up more questions.

It was chosen for gameplay purposes, but the narrative implies your avatar does not actually choose their clan.  They belong to the clan they were sired into.

The tabletop game also mandated that a new vampire is either of the Clan whose member sired it, or is a Caitiff (meaning they're still of the Clan's bloodline and are that "type" of vampire, they just aren't a part of the Clan as a social group).  Being a Caitiff came with a lot of negative connotations from properly Clanned vampires.

Per the fandom wiki, "thin-bloods" are indeed part of the Clan that sired them anatomically speaking, but the term reflects a 14th or 15th generation vampire (the further from Caine a vampire is generationally, the weaker the vampire is relative to their earlier generation brothers and sisters).  It's also described as a vampire illness, sometimes referred to as Thin-Blood Syndrome.

Post edited by MadFrenchie on
    Sovrath

Ikeda said:

Maybe this is all an elaborate setup for the start of Gehenna?
    While I would normally pick any other vampire than the Nosferatu I would most definitely do a play through as one.

It adds a completely different type of game play. What's that game that came out a few years ago; Styx? It can very much be something like that.

• eoloeeoloe Member RarePosts: 864
    I still have to complete this game in a Nosferatu playthrough...

By the way, who did not feed on the urinating guy in the back street? :)

Memories, memories... Yes despite all the crashes and bugs, it was a game that pulled me in countless times... I loved most of the areas... The NPCs were full of personality also.

I am just frustrated they announce the sequel so early. 1 year of waiting ? I would rather have not known until the last 3 months...
    Octagon7711
  • achmedeachmede Member UncommonPosts: 215
    Such eye pleasing graphics, i sure hope my PC will be able to handle this masterpiece.

I really do hope it's masterpiece, please let it be.

This year will be freakin awesome !
  • LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    I loved the first game, so I'm hopeful.  Still, that trailer was rather weak and underwhelming.

Good:
    --It would be nearly impossible to make a combat system worse than the first game.  So, we should be good on that front.
    --Obviously, the graphics and such will be far better and more up-to-date.
    --New city/location

Concerns:
    --The first game had arguably the best thematic atmosphere I've ever seen.  They really sold the horror show well.  The Hotel was one of the creepiest levels I've ever seen.  And, the werewolf stuff was really intense and amazing.  They'll have to work hard to recapture that quality of magical atmosphere.
    --Paradox.  Seriously.  Prepare to have to spend $300+ just to get the full game if this becomes like their typical DLC milking franchises.  Their games are great, but they are the godfather of DLC gouging.
    --Political BS.  If it's subtle, I don't care.  But, I don't want to be bombarded with their real world political crap either.
    --Looking very Dying Light parkour... not sure how I feel about that.  Another case of "if it's subtle" then it's fine.
    --I worry that they might try to hard to stick to the original game, rather than come up with something new.  I'd hate for them to turn such an awesome RPG into a case of "The Force Awakens" with the whole fan service thing.  So far, it sounds like a typical, generic plot.
    [Deleted User]Ikeda
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    I wasn't expecting a Bloodlines 2 but i love this news. It would be awesome if they remastered The Masquerade and Bloodlines.

DMKano said:
    I must make a confession - I really don't like the way "vampires" are done in concept in vast majority of books, movies etc... Just in general I think the whole vampire thing is a bag of shite

Now having said all that - I still am looking forward to this as I think it will be a good game regardless of my personal dislike of the whole blood sucking vampire crap.

The only half-decent vampire that I didn't hate was Cassidy from the Preacher comics. That was an example of how to do vampires right IMO. Actually the Preacher did a lot of things right as far as comics go - but that's a different story.

The whole capes and goth aspect of vampires being some kind of a refined "high society" that are into poetry and art and all this artsy fartsy romantic bullshit - that's what I can't stand.
    I definitely prefer more monstrous vampires.  The typical modern vampire is like Disney's The Little Mermaid vs. the real mermaid mythologies.
    30 Days of Night was a fun movie version.  Even though it wasn't amazing, it did a decent job attempting to go the darker route.

That said, the "society" vampires do work pretty well in games that want to focus more on RPG aspects.  They did a great job with Bloodlines, back in the day, of balancing the darkness with the sparkles.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,971
    edited March 2019
    DMKano said:
    I must make a confession - I really don't like the way "vampires" are done in concept in vast majority of books, movies etc... Just in general I think the whole vampire thing is a bag of shite

Now having said all that - I still am looking forward to this as I think it will be a good game regardless of my personal dislike of the whole blood sucking vampire crap.

The only half-decent vampire that I didn't hate was Cassidy from the Preacher comics. That was an example of how to do vampires right IMO. Actually the Preacher did a lot of things right as far as comics go - but that's a different story.

The whole capes and goth aspect of vampires being some kind of a refined "high society" that are into poetry and art and all this artsy fartsy romantic bullshit - that's what I can't stand.
    While it is true VtM appealed to goths the staples of the game do not all fit that image, and there were rarefy any in capes. Yes there is a clan very much in the image you mention but they are but one of about ten clans which reflect/control every social group in society.

This is not much like any depiction of vampires you will have seen. Though I have seen elements of it many TV series that have vamps.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited March 2019
    Lokero said:
    DMKano said:

I definitely prefer more monstrous vampires.  The typical modern vampire is like Disney's The Little Mermaid vs. the real mermaid mythologies.
    30 Days of Night was a fun movie version.  Even though it wasn't amazing, it did a decent job attempting to go the darker route.

That said, the "society" vampires do work pretty well in games that want to focus more on RPG aspects.  They did a great job with Bloodlines, back in the day, of balancing the darkness with the sparkles.
    My personal favorite depiction of vampires in media is from Legacy of Kain, but i think Vampire: The masquerade does a good job too. I do agree with both of you that the modern vampire thing is just crap, specially after Twilight lol.

Although not real vampires, i would like more vampire games to be more influenced by the real life Vlad Tepes (like classic 2D Castlevania used to do) and Elizabeth Bathory instead of modern Twilight bs.

edited March 2019
    DMKano said:

Seems like you'd make a great Anarchist or member of the Sabbat! :D

Both of these sects reject the Camarilla.  Though, even among clans accepted by and accepting of the Camarilla, only a few of the clans are concerned with the artsy fartsy stuff, or indeed in high society at all.  You certainly wouldn't generally see a Gangrel or a Malkavian that's focused on that stuff.

On the flip side, you'd be hard-pressed to find a Toreador that isn't interested in high society or the arts.
    IkedaScot

Lokero said:
    I loved the first game, so I'm hopeful.  Still, that trailer was rather weak and underwhelming.

Good:
    --It would be nearly impossible to make a combat system worse than the first game.  So, we should be good on that front.
    --Obviously, the graphics and such will be far better and more up-to-date.
    --New city/location

Concerns:
    --The first game had arguably the best thematic atmosphere I've ever seen.  They really sold the horror show well.  The Hotel was one of the creepiest levels I've ever seen.  And, the werewolf stuff was really intense and amazing.  They'll have to work hard to recapture that quality of magical atmosphere.
    --Paradox.  Seriously.  Prepare to have to spend $300+ just to get the full game if this becomes like their typical DLC milking franchises.  Their games are great, but they are the godfather of DLC gouging.
    --Political BS.  If it's subtle, I don't care.  But, I don't want to be bombarded with their real world political crap either.
    --Looking very Dying Light parkour... not sure how I feel about that.  Another case of "if it's subtle" then it's fine.
    --I worry that they might try to hard to stick to the original game, rather than come up with something new.  I'd hate for them to turn such an awesome RPG into a case of "The Force Awakens" with the whole fan service thing.  So far, it sounds like a typical, generic plot.
    Well, they're damned if they do and damned if they don't.

If they "create something new" they run the risk of losing the fans that were die hard about the first game and who would be the core group that would buy this game. They also run the risk of "innovating" yet finding that their innovations are not what anyone wants.

That's the problem with the whole "something new" schtick. It's easy to do something new. It's easy to do "push the envelope new." Doesn't mean that it's what people have in their heads and it certainly doesn't mean people will play it.

I don't mind paying top dollar if a game is good. You say that their games are "great." Well, maybe part of that is that they put a lot into them and they charge accordingly.

I think they are going to have to have some fan service. At least at the start. People want to play a game/watch a movie/whatever and feel a connection. If they don't nod to the original game, and maybe even to the source material, then players aren't going to feel like they are continuing in that world.

Might as well just make a whole new game/IP if they are going to do that.

and /agreed the hotel was very creepy. I just played that part a few weeks ago and I had problems going through it.
    Palebane

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    edited March 2019
    DMKano said:

H8

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/660/media/images/62558000/jpg/_62558092_15.thecountand8-richardtermine.jpg

SovrathScot

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

Sovrath said:

If they "create something new" they run the risk of losing the fans that were die hard about the first game and who would be the core group that would buy this game. They also run the risk of "innovating" yet finding that their innovations are not what anyone wants.

That's the problem with the whole "something new" schtick. It's easy to do something new. It's easy to do "push the envelope new." Doesn't mean that it's what people have in their heads and it certainly doesn't mean people will play it.

I'm not talking about risky innovations, or even gameplay systems, as such.  I'm more talking about the basic, cliched story plot, characters, etc.

I'm more thinking that it might end up feeling like the same generic storyline in another city by their base plot description.  Another "the fate of the city/clans is in your hands" situation.  One of those "this is the exact same thing I did in the last game" stories.

Main point being, I just hope it feels like a genuine game rather than just a remake of the first.
    SovrathMadFrenchieScot

On the flip side, you'd be hard-pressed to find a Toreador that isn't interested in high society or the arts.
    yeeeeaaahhhh, that's the character I play. o:)

I'd love to play a Malkavian but have been reticent to jump into the deep end of madness.
    MadFrenchieScot

Sovrath said:

yeeeeaaahhhh, that's the character I play. o:)

I'd love to play a Malkavian but have been reticent to jump into the deep end of madness.
    Malkavians enjoy a double-edged sword, to be sure.  But they also enjoy a David Bowie-esque set of eyes (heterochromia), so there's that benefit. :D

The Clans of the Masquerade are incredibly diverse and hugely interesting.  My favorite has to be the Tzimisce, and I wish I could play as one in these games.

I never had friends who would do tabletop, so I've never had the chance to play, but I've spent quite a bit of time reading about the lore and world.  I'm very happy to see a sequel on the horizon!
    SovrathPalebane

• azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    edited March 2019
    Sovrath said:

Also, none of the pre-order stuff looks like must have stuff. Not even playing it 24 hours in advance.
    The items in the deluxe edition are referencing the first game. No value for none-fans or people who don't care about having everything.
    Aeander said:
    You think maybe the relative success of Vampyr encouraged the creation of Bloodlines 2?
    No. The creative director demanded his bosses to make a pitch to Paradox the day it was announced they bought the rights in October 2015. That creative director is a good friend of the first game lead writer, Brian Mitsoda, and got him in-board right away. They also got Chris Avellone in 2015 because that's what his linkedin says.

They pitched the game to Paradox in early 2016 and have been working on it ever since. Vampyr released in 2018, over two years later.
    Lokero
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    DMKano said:

Yeah I'm with you. I've never liked the "Dracula meets Harlequin Romance" type of vampire that Ann Rice and others popularized in the late 20th century not to mention all the crap it spawned like Twilight etc., that took over the teen fiction shelves for years.

Having said that, World of Darkness is a very interesting and unique RP system. Looking forward to Bloodlines 2.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED