Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would you run a business in an MMORPG?

If you were given a business plot that you could place inside a large city, outside along the road or wildernes... would you?  You would also be given an NPC to help sell your goods or service.

It could be a selling crafted items, things you foraged, stuff you raided, metals you mined, farm produce and etc. 

I have always been interested in that kind of thing playing out in a game.  Having a business district.  I think UO and SWG were the closest to having something like that.  
free2play

Comments

• Riqqy82Riqqy82 Member UncommonPosts: 91
    ehhh mmorpgs dont need to be like the real world brother, enough fantasy is being taken out of games as is, just my opinion
    bcbully

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    I've already done this in Vendetta Online; I only have one regular client but it's been worthwhile.  Others operate more broadly.
    AlBQuirky

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• DwaaawffulDwaaawfful Member UncommonPosts: 65
    Might work for charismatic types with all manner of beguiling goodies, but I can't see there being much of a market for goblinware like badly made weapons, smelly loincloths and dried flesh krispies.

PhaserlightAlBQuirkyAzaron_Nightblade
    Stumpiness & Unbridled Misery Masquerading as VIRTUE

Need an AI-Free Elf Names Generator to bring your next elven character to life? Why ... course you do, you darn fool!
  • Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    edited March 2019
    Riqqy82 said:
    ehhh mmorpgs dont need to be like the real world brother, enough fantasy is being taken out of games as is, just my opinion
    My opinion there isn't enough real world in the  virtual worlds.  You really don't need infrastructure for a MMORPG if all you are going to do is lobby city, quest, dungeons and raids. That is surface level gameplay that doesn't require virtual world.  Action could be better on a more focused design without MMO.
    Post edited by Vermillion_Raventhal on
    SovrathfrostymugAlBQuirkyLokeroSteelhelm
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    Riqqy82 said:
    My opinion there isn't enough real world in the  virtual worlds.  You really don't need infrastructure for a MMORPG if all you are going to do is lobby city, quest, dungeons and raids. That is surface level gameplay that doesn't require virtual world.  Action could he better on a more focused design.
    I'm going to agree with you. I'd like a lot less game and a lot more world.

I'd prefer not to run a business in a store but be a supplier, perhaps selling rare antiquities/scrolls/"things found."
    AlBQuirky
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    edited March 2019
    In older time where player street vendor still around and no AH , i know some players who buy stuff from other player who can't stay online AFK , then set up AFK vendor to sell item for other players.

Phaserlight
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    I enjoyed going to player shops in SWG. Honestly that should be a feature in every game, imo. 
    Vermillion_RaventhalPhaserlightAmarantharCryomatrixLokeroHatefullSteelhelm

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• frostymugfrostymug Member RarePosts: 645
    Player shops in SWG. Luclin bazaar in EQ. Player housing being shops in EQ2.

All things I miss in MMOs lately. The being in a virtual world aspect instead of the rush to level and railroad yourself.
    AlBQuirkyAmaranthar
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    If you were given a business plot that you could place inside a large city, outside along the road or wildernes... would you?  You would also be given an NPC to help sell your goods or service.

It could be a selling crafted items, things you foraged, stuff you raided, metals you mined, farm produce and etc. 

I have always been interested in that kind of thing playing out in a game.  Having a business district.  I think UO and SWG were the closest to having something like that.  
    people would make use of it, or do like most do now use the market, its faster, its like internet purchases, you search up the thing you want and look for the best prices, now if you say ahve teh market and then the physical place, then eventually no one would use the physical one when you can just browse the market, unless you are forced to have the physical place to sell on the market

but most of this worked in both uo and swg was the limited skills you could have, but you still ahve people who like to do it all, so they can profit more
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.

people would make use of it, or do like most do now use the market, its faster, its like internet purchases, you search up the thing you want and look for the best prices, now if you say ahve teh market and then the physical place, then eventually no one would use the physical one when you can just browse the market, unless you are forced to have the physical place to sell on the market

but most of this worked in both uo and swg was the limited skills you could have, but you still ahve people who like to do it all, so they can profit more
    That's kind of the reason you don't have an auction house.  
    AmarantharHatefull
  • DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    Sounds too much like a job, to me, and I already have one in RL. 
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    Dibdabs said:
    I used to teach a little girl guitar many years ago. Her Father was a big Everquest fan. He told me that his first mmorpg was Star Wars Galaxies.

Apparently he was a crafter and he had people far and wide wanting him to make things. One evening he came home from work and realized he had all these orders he had to make. It dawned on him that it was as if he had a 2nd job but one that he didn't get paid for.

He dropped the game after that.

so yeah, I can get that for many it would feel like a job. I think there's a small amount of people who genuinely want that type of experience though.
    AlBQuirkyHatefull
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502

SWG, on my server, had an entire city full of crafters with their wares for sale. All the vendors were NPC's. I prefer to supply, but yeah given the opportunity I would keep an NPC vendor stocked.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    CU will have a dedicated crafter class.

I'm very interested in seeing how players enjoy it.
    HatefullSovrathLokeroalkarionlog

You stay sassy!

Sovrath said:
    Dibdabs said:
    I used to teach a little girl guitar many years ago. Her Father was a big Everquest fan. He told me that his first mmorpg was Star Wars Galaxies.

Apparently he was a crafter and he had people far and wide wanting him to make things. One evening he came home from work and realized he had all these orders he had to make. It dawned on him that it was as if he had a 2nd job but one that he didn't get paid for.

He dropped the game after that.

so yeah, I can get that for many it would feel like a job. I think there's a small amount of people who genuinely want that type of experience though.
    I find the genre as whole to be a job. I view as being able to do things you couldn't do in real life.  
    AmarantharAlBQuirkyHatefull
  • AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,797
    I loved it in UO. I even had my own shop out in the wilderness, like many others.
    I specialized in the rare colors that you could dye items with, and spent some of my adventuring time collecting the ingredients, and refining my "runs" doing so to a finely tuned effort.

I would really like to see player run cities with player owned shops, plus a public market square where you could rent booths for the day.

It was also pretty cool that you could go to the cities and have a skilled blacksmith repair your gear. I met some cool people and got useful information about the goings on in the world from them while they worked. They were the bartenders of the world. lol

UO had the first player run tavern. Called Kazola's. There was a group of roleplayers who all took shifts running it. It was a lively place, and game GMs started going there to launch their GM World Events.
    That was really cool.

Once upon a time....

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    F2P mmorpgs always used to let you open shop on your character in real time, then auction houses took over and killed the social aspect of player trading.
    AlBQuirkyHatefull

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,353
    Player shops can be really annoying when you're trying to find an item that is fairly rare.  I really don't want to have to click on 200 shops to find one thing.
    AlBQuirkyMendelHatefull
  • AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,797
    A cool thing at Kazola's Tavern (player run, mentioned above) was that Richard Garriott had an in-game avatar that looked just like him. That was Lord British in-game.
    He visited the Tavern once and gave a roleplay speech.
    There were so many players there that it had to be done outside from the steps.
    Fun times.

Once upon a time....

• ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    I miss it. I miss EC tunnel. So yeah. I don’t like auction houses or world wide markets. 
    Dibdabs
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    In SWG i was a weaponsmith and eve i was a ship builder 
    Phaserlight
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • DaranarDaranar Member UncommonPosts: 392
    edited March 2019
    Riqqy82 said:
    I hope this is sarcasm.  The problem with MMORPGs is they are not longer 'Virtual Worlds' they are just lobby games with a 'city' instead of a menu.   

To the OP, YES!  I loved that aspect of SWG.  I knew who to go to for the best resources and where their stores were.  On my Wookie I had an armorsmith that I frequented as I upgraded equipment.  Went to his shop prolly weekly as I earned more credits to see what I could afford.  But that was only supported with a TOP TIER harvesting and crafting system.   Sadly you don't need physical vendors otherwise.  A server wide bazaar works when every 'Bronze Sword' has the same stats. 

That's what made SWG so amazing was every resource's stats varied which made every item crafted from them vary.  Even now, in most games, if you get variation in mats, they usually just impact chances of 2 or 3 stages of rarity in a given item.

If I want a world in which people can purchase success and power with cash, I'll play Real Life. Keep Virtual Worlds Virtual!

Daranar said:
    Riqqy82 said:
    I hope this is sarcasm.  The problem with MMORPGs is they are not longer 'Virtual Worlds' they are just lobby games with a 'city' instead of a menu.   

To the OP, YES!  I loved that aspect of SWG.  I knew who to go to for the best resources and where their stores were.  On my Wookie I had an armorsmith that I frequented as I upgraded equipment.  Went to his shop prolly weekly as I earned more credits to see what I could afford.  But that was only supported with a TOP TIER harvesting and crafting system.   Sadly you don't need physical vendors otherwise.  A server wide bazaar works when every 'Bronze Sword' has the same stats. 

That's what made SWG so amazing was every resource's stats varied which made every item crafted from them vary.  Even now, in most games, if you get variation in mats, they usually just impact chances of 2 or 3 stages of rarity in a given item.
    Yeah my dream MMORPG would have with an SWG type resource and craft system in a super sized world  Along with localized crafting recipes.  So you might not see certain styles of gear, clothing, housing, animals, food and etc hours aways.  

Always wished SWG was the gold standard of and imitated MMORPG instead of WoW.
    Daranar
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    My dream design since i was very young is like Atlas.Sure i would do more,create more life in the world than just creatures.
    Atlas offers more realism to the equation because almost every rpg asks for specific items to craft something and that is not realistic.
    Atlas most certainly could use a more robust crafting system,perhaps an economy but just like FFXi that i played for years,it is a TEMPLATE for others developers to expand on.

Sadly i expect LESS to come forth.Devs want to give us a certain amount of game time,maybe 60 hours and your gaming is done.Maybe level 100 and yoru gaming is done,so EVERY last one these posers start talking about END game.Life in a world does not have end game,that would be actual death of your character.

We shouldn't be talking about end game,we should simply have a world to role play within and it continues to grow/advance,crafting,economy,survival,building.Atlas also has the best weather effects of any game,when it is cold you are really cold,same for over heating and same for exhaustion.Even WEIGHT has a part in the game.Still there is a LOT of room to improve,again it is only a template that should get better over time.
    Scot

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    SWG plenty of folks ran a businesses in. I knew of this one crafter on Bloodfin named Chickenboy, he had tents and stores all over the damn place, that and a few others. Always in prime locations and near grinding spots. Also plenty of folks in Second Life run businesses, not sure how rich they get off them but it would seem for some it pays enough to keep what they got going.
    mmolouHatefull
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter