Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question about Leveling Healing Pally in Wow Classic

vtravivtravi Member UncommonPosts: 398
I Would like to level Pally healer but playing private servers it seems that finding INT Mail gear is hard after level 25 or so. I was wondering if it would be crazy to level as a Tailor and make my own cloth healing gear. Would I get banished for being a cloth pally? I am new to classic so I don't know if this is a crazy idea or not. 

Comments

• Siris23Siris23 Member UncommonPosts: 388
    edited March 2019
    armor type didn't matter as much for healers in classic, a lot of druids/shammies/pallies used cloth.

edit: IIRC there was even a hunter build that used cloth that could solo Dire Maul before they nerfed it into the ground. Bottom line, armor was just a stat in classic and only tanks and pvpers (and weird specialty builds) wanted it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,430
    The only difference between cloth/leather/mail/plate is the armor value, which has no meaning for a healer (most of the time). As a paladin you have a benefit to be able to wear all armor types, so you can always pick the pieces that improves your healing.
  • MeleconMelecon Member UncommonPosts: 74
    I think it is crazy =p 
    The Pally is counted on at times to off tank adds and to help protect the cloth wearers so they can heal up the tank(s)
     (at least that is how I played one) 
    Plate with INT is available but you really need to hunt it down. Like Gallants wristguards
    If your intention is to play a Pally who wears cloth you might as well just make a priest or roll a druid. 
     just my 2c
    His 2c is as useful as an Canadian Penny.... If you are a healer in Classic WoW your most important stat is MP5, you want to try and max this out as much as possible then you want to get your healing power up as much as possible so you can start to down grade your heals and still be effective (Holy light 5 heals for 1000 and a 100 mana cost where you can get your Holy Light 4 to heal for 900 and cost 25 mana (It has been a lot of years since I played an healing Paladin in Vanilla so I made the numbers up). If this means you need to wear cloth to achieve it or Mail and not Plate so be it. If you find a better plate variant you can replace the cloth with then yes by all means do it.

At the very least play what you want and have fun with it, if its not fun then is it worth playing?
    MrMelGibson
    Having your healer pally off tanking is crazy, that's a job for your token feral/ret/enh or a dps warrior
    edited March 2019

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

All I'm saying is one of the big advantages to a pally over a priest is their ability to wear plate. Why remove that advantage? Just make a priest if you want to wear cloth and heal ;) 

Play what you want. Enjoy what you want. 
    Dont listen to anyone on here everyone is overly aggressive with their opinions.
    Why waste the advantage of being able to use all the armor types for the best healing stats just for the advantage of armor which doesn't help you heal?

btw OP don't discount leather, there's a lot of good healing pieces available. 

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• some-clueless-guysome-clueless-guy Member UncommonPosts: 227
    A holy paladin's list of pre-raid BIS is made up of cloth mostly (BIS off hand is an offhand instead of a shield for example) that should answer your question.
    You can rack up a respectable healing/intellect set while leveling just from quest rewards, dungeon drops and the odd green boe, more than enough to heal through any pre BRD-emperor dungeon as retribution specced. I would definitely advise against wasting time and money on leveling tailoring just for it, in fact if you really want to you can give the cloth to a clothie friend and have him make the gear you want, which is hardly necessary.

If you want an advice on spec as well, you should pick seal of command and pursuit of justice from the retribution tree for leveling (at least 30% of the time in vanilla is spent running around, 8% movement speed equals faster leveling) and the rest should go into holy for two reasons: if on a pvp server holy talents are the difference between surviving the ganks turning the tables and dying, and secondly because they are much more impactful on the leveling process and dungeoneering than the last points into retribution (an honorable mention goes to the second tier of holy talents which, with conc aura, removes spell push back from your healing spells which is fantastic in solo pve, not to mention consacration, 10% extra int and so on).

If you are leveling up with a partner you can of course spice it up to complement your classes, if you can reliably group up with a mage, then going holy right away is a good option since you can aoe tank the mobs while you mage friend kills them, which more than makes up for the lack of seal of command when you are alone.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    So OP, since everyone has an opinion based on assuming how you are playing (pvp,dungeons,leveling)
    What is your main focus while playing? just leveling up? enjoying the ride? dungeon runs? aiming for end game? PvP?  Practicing for Classic release? ;)

I was a roleplayer. Not a minmaxer so I preferred my pally in proper 'pally' gear not paper gear hence my preference. 

Min maxing takes all the fun out of it.
    MrMelGibsonSovrath

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    edited March 2019
    Siris23 said:
    Having your healer pally off tanking is crazy, that's a job for your token feral/ret/enh or a dps warrior
    If you're planning on raiding, my experience was that almost no one took those 3 specs into a group, minus the dps warrior. Other classes did a way better job. I have seen holy Paladins off tank in an emergency though.
  • Cry0Cry0 Member UncommonPosts: 52
    A holy paladin's list of pre-raid BIS is made up of cloth mostly (BIS off hand is an offhand instead of a shield for example) that should answer your question.
    You can rack up a respectable healing/intellect set while leveling just from quest rewards, dungeon drops and the odd green boe, more than enough to heal through any pre BRD-emperor dungeon as retribution specced. I would definitely advise against wasting time and money on leveling tailoring just for it, in fact if you really want to you can give the cloth to a clothie friend and have him make the gear you want, which is hardly necessary.

If you want an advice on spec as well, you should pick seal of command and pursuit of justice from the retribution tree for leveling (at least 30% of the time in vanilla is spent running around, 8% movement speed equals faster leveling) and the rest should go into holy for two reasons: if on a pvp server holy talents are the difference between surviving the ganks turning the tables and dying, and secondly because they are much more impactful on the leveling process and dungeoneering than the last points into retribution (an honorable mention goes to the second tier of holy talents which, with conc aura, removes spell push back from your healing spells which is fantastic in solo pve, not to mention consacration, 10% extra int and so on).

If you are leveling up with a partner you can of course spice it up to complement your classes, if you can reliably group up with a mage, then going holy right away is a good option since you can aoe tank the mobs while you mage friend kills them, which more than makes up for the lack of seal of command when you are alone.
    ^^^^^^ That

I'll also re-emphasize the 2nd sentence there. Unless you are playing with a dedicated group of friends, it is going to be in your best interest to primarily play a DPS spec while leveling (Ret) and gear appropriately. Then you can just throw your assortment of healing gear on if you want to heal dungeons. 

The majority of questing in WoW is easily done solo, and that is how the majority of people approach it. If you decide to go full time healer - you will put yourself in a situation where things are more difficult than they need to be, or you need a group to do basic content.
    Siris23 said:
    If you're planning on raiding, my experience was that almost no one took those 3 specs into a group, minus the dps warrior. Other classes did a way better job. I have seen holy Paladins off tank in an emergency though.
    one feral to crit buff your melee group and give an extra innervate to you healers
    one ret pally so you got all the pally buffs
    I don't remember if there was a reason to bring a enh shammy, but if you had one they could tank.
  • TEKK3NTEKK3N Member RarePosts: 1,115
    edited March 2019

I played a Healadin in Vanilla, and 2 years in Private Servers.
    I can tell you Healing Paladins are the only viable spec if you want to run Dungeons and Raids often.
    Tankadins have no Group Taunt, and Retardins DPS simply suck, unless you are fully Purple.

As a Healadin, gear is a problem as he really needs INT to be effective and there is no Healing Plate in Vanilla.
    Tailor should be one of your profession, also you have to roll on Cloth, though Casters won't be happy about that.

What I do is I make my own Group for Dungeons and avoid to invite Casters, to avoid any drama.
    My typical Group setup would be the following:

-Tank (I prefer Druids because they don't rely on Gear. Bad geared Warriors are a nightmare for Healadins, you'll get huge damage spikes you won't be able to heal due to our slow casting spells)
    -Hunter
    -Hunter (Shaman or Druid)
    -Rogue
    -Paladin (me)

Alternatively join groups with no Casters or just tell the group you are going to roll for Cloth before joining. You could also ask the Casters if they already have the Gear you are after, most times they already have it. Whatever you do, NEVER ninja loot.
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    TEKK3N said:

I can tell you Healing Paladins are the only viable spec if you want to run Dungeons and Raids often.
    Tankadins have no Group Taunt, and Retardins DPS simply suck, unless you are fully Purple.

As a Healadin, gear is a problem as he really needs INT to be effective and there is no Healing Plate in Vanilla.
    Tailor should be one of your profession, also you have to roll on Cloth, though Casters won't be happy about that.

What I do is I make my own Group for Dungeons and avoid to invite Casters, to avoid any drama.

-Tank (I prefer Druids because they don't rely on Gear. Bad geared Warriors are a nightmare for Healadins, you'll get huge damage spikes you won't be able to heal due to our slow casting spells)
    -Hunter
    -Rogue
    -Paladin (me)

Alternatively join groups with no Casters or just tell the group you are going to roll for Cloth before joining. You could also ask the Casters if they already have the Gear you are after, most times they already have it. Whatever you do, NEVER ninja loot.
    Paladins sucked in Vanilla and healing was the only way groups would take you to raids.
    Chamber of Chains
    cheyane said:
    TEKK3N said:

-Hunter
    -Rogue
    -Paladin (me)

Paladins sucked in Vanilla and healing was the only way groups would take you to raids.
    Just out of curiosity, did mages and warlocks also suck in vanilla because they were only good for dealing damage?

I just can't stop laughing at this "you had to heal coz there was no other choice" mentality. Paladins and druids had 3 possible roles in a group and that's two more than most of the classes could even dream of. Raiding environment was just going back to normal, down from the privileged state of being an omnipotent hybrid class.
    deniter said:

Just out of curiosity, did mages and warlocks also suck in vanilla because they were only good for dealing damage?

I just can't stop laughing at this "you had to heal coz there was no other choice" mentality. Paladins and druids had 3 possible roles in a group and that's two more than most of the classes could even dream of. Raiding environment was just going back to normal, down from the privileged state of being an omnipotent hybrid class.
    I will answer that.

It is true that having to choose between 3 specs was a privilege.
    Most people who played Paladins, Druids or Shamans, were well aware that those Classes weren't designed to be best in class, and were fine with it.

Having said that, there is a big difference between not being best in Class and being worthless.
    Druids had the harshest time, they were good at nothing, though in my opinion for Holy Pallies they were the best Tanks for Dungeons (not popular opinion), because they didn't rely much on Gear for mitigation, which for a Paladin is more important than the Tank HP.

Paladins have really slow healing spells, and during leveling, Warrior gear would vary greatly.
    So if you had the misfortune to heal a bad geared Warrior, my Paladin could not cope with the huge spike damage caused by the low damage mitigation of said Warrior, while I could easily heal a naked Druid.

Apart from that, nobody wanted druids in their group, they were welcome as tanks in Dungeons but just as a back up when a Warrior wasn't available.
    Raids though was another matter, Warrior reigned supreme.

Paladins, as well were not particularly welcome in groups, especially Rets as their damage was quite low unless they wore all Purple gear in which case their Crits would boost their DPS immensely.
    As Tanks, they were the third choice. Not saying that there weren't good Tankadins, just that they weren't anywhere as good as Warriors or even Druids.
    Luckily they were good at healing, though some disagree, because there were Paladins that clearly didn't have a clue on how to heal, not the Class fault.

Probably saying that Pallies and Druids sucked is an hyperbole, you could definitely play them and have fun with them if you were dedicated enough, but certainly they were the most difficult Classes to play.
    Example is the fact that Paladins didn't even have healing gear, so you had to find the work around (wear Cloth) to make it viable.
    TEKK3N said:
    deniter said:

I will answer that.

It is true that having to choose between 3 specs was a privilege.
    Most people who played Paladins, Druids or Shamans, were well aware that those Classes weren't designed to be best in class, and were fine with it.

Having said that, there is a big difference between not being best in Class and being worthless.
    Druids had the harshest time, they were good at nothing, though in my opinion for Holy Pallies they were the best Tanks for Dungeons (not popular opinion), because they didn't rely much on Gear for mitigation, which for a Paladin is more important than the Tank HP.

Paladins have really slow healing spells, and during leveling, Warrior gear would vary greatly.
    So if you had the misfortune to heal a bad geared Warrior, my Paladin could not cope with the huge spike damage caused by the low damage mitigation of said Warrior, while I could easily heal a naked Druid.

Apart from that, nobody wanted druids in their group, they were welcome as tanks in Dungeons but just as a back up when a Warrior wasn't available.
    Raids though was another matter, Warrior reigned supreme.

Paladins, as well were not particularly welcome in groups, especially Rets as their damage was quite low unless they wore all Purple gear in which case their Crits would boost their DPS immensely.
    As Tanks, they were the third choice. Not saying that there weren't good Tankadins, just that they weren't anywhere as good as Warriors or even Druids.
    Luckily they were good at healing, though some disagree, because there were Paladins that clearly didn't have a clue on how to heal, not the Class fault.

Probably saying that Pallies and Druids sucked is an hyperbole, you could definitely play them and have fun with them if you were dedicated enough, but certainly they were the most difficult Classes to play.
    Example is the fact that Paladins didn't even have healing gear, so you had to find the work around (wear Cloth) to make it viable.
    Everything you say is very true, and most of these problems existed because vanilla WoW vas very underdeveloped at that time. That was recognized even by Blizzard but they weren't willing to do much about it until the first expansion set.

That being said, every class had something they brought to the table other than the obvious tanking, healing and damage dealing. Rogues were superb against caster mobs, mages removed curses, shamans and paladins had buffs and druids could fill your mana and save you from a wipe with their in-combat ress.

I also don't buy this excuse of having trouble in healing a badly geared tank. Each and every player are responsible of their own character. If you're not sure you can do the job your party expects you to do, then you refuse and gear up before signing up again. You could also talk to your group and ask them to use more CC to make it easier for your healer, no matter if (s)he was a priest or a paladin. This is of course unheard for these days' wow players who just teleport to a dungeon and steamroll everything without saying a word.

In vanilla you could clear content with very different kind of group compositions but players had to adapt to new situations. Paladins were not bad dungeon tanks because they lacked taunt, they just looked bad because of relentless dps players refusing or not knowing how to use aggro control abilities and how to play with a non-warrior tank. They were spoiled by warrior tanks who kept taunting over-aggroed mobs in every fight. I can see this on private servers even today. I'm thinking about pressing the key where my charge ability is bound only to see a frost bolt that is already on its way to the pack of elite mobs. The first ability i'll use after the charge and stance dance to defensive one is a taunt on the now frost bolted elite followed by demo shout so i can begin my tanking duty properly. So much for giving a tank the initial aggro and time to build threat.

They took this on a totally new level in one of the later patches where warrior threat was buffed significantly. Prior to this dps had to look at their threat and be careful not to get aggro but after the patch everyone could go to all-out mode and spam damage abilities for topping dps-charts. If warriors were "too good" before the patch, they now were the only ones who could tank.

There definitely was a lack of proper gear for both paladins and druids but at the same time if the gear would have existed who would have taken warrior tanks if you had an alternative for much wider skill set. They finally did it in TBC and we all see what happened. Paladin aoe tanking was just crazy, and i remember being a warrior at that time and i was whispered something like "wanna come this dungeon X, we only need you for the last boss?".

The only time i've felt as worthless being a warrior was the patch where hunter pets were buffed (accidentally) too much and they were able to tank even dungeon bosses. The meme of the month was "why would we take a warrior, we have a pig".
    deniter said:
    TEKK3N said:

I also don't buy this excuse of having trouble in healing a badly geared tank. Each and every player are responsible of their own character. If you're not sure you can do the job your party expects you to do, then you refuse and gear up before signing up again. You could also talk to your group and ask them to use more CC to make it easier for your healer, no matter if (s)he was a priest or a paladin. This is of course unheard for these days' wow players who just teleport to a dungeon and steamroll everything without saying a word.

Well, it's not really an excuse.
    A Paladin has problems healing spikes of damage which sucks 30-40% of HP at once.
    The fastest spell takes 1.5 seconds (Heals 10%), the best spell takes 2.5 seconds (Heals 40%), and if the Tank gets 40% damage every second, you do the mats.

It is not about CC either, I am talking single target mobs.
    Other Healing Classes have no problems with damage spikes as they can insta-heal, that's not the case for Pallies.

As I said I could heal a naked Druid easily, which is considered a second class tank.
    Of course I had zero problem with well geared Warriors, but in PUGs it's like a Russian Roulette, you never know what you get, so I generally went with Druids just to be safe.