Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Crowfall March Feature Walkthrough - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited March 2019 in Videos Discussion

imageCrowfall March Feature Walkthrough - MMORPG.com

Crowfall Creative Director J. Todd Coleman is on hand for a look at some of the big new features coming to the pre-alpha version of the game.

Read the full story here

Comments

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Haven't really played since 5.8 Launched. Waiting for the next big update to jump in and fool around, very promising though.
    JamesGoblin
  • paulythebpaulytheb Member UncommonPosts: 363
    Totally awesome. I keep trying to tell people about this game. If that video doesn't at least pique your interest a little bit, I don't know what will.

( Note to self-Don't say anything bad about Drizzt.)

An acerbic sense of humor is NOT allowed here.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    Wow. I just now realised that what they called "worlds" all along are actually limited size maps with certain objective.

That what you get when developing game in Unity engine. Buyer beware...

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    At least we are getting an idea of what they are doing, which is more than you can say for some of these indie games in development.
    [Deleted User]
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Looks pretty incredible, and robust.

They've been paying special attention to the gameplay and the rules while other studios focus on perpetual technology creep.

I'm excited.
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • LuftwaffenLuftwaffen Member UncommonPosts: 101
    still looking forward to beta but gotta say the combat is too flashy for my taste but hell ill give it a go
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Immersion....why oh why can't developers understand it?You don't make maps that SHOW where everyone is,they are supposed to feel like they are in a real living world,they go out and explore,instead this is like going to work,i know where my job is,i go directly there.

"leader boards"i have talked about BRAGGING platforms a lot,this is NOT a good reason gaming should be popular,what happened to the days ev1 was saying we game for FUN?

What this developer is doing is pretty much everything i am against for quality gaming from cash shop to ruining immersion,bragging platforms,yeah not cool.
    natpickRueTheWhirlValdheimJamesGoblin

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• natpicknatpick Member UncommonPosts: 271
    sadly im not feeling this game at all,imho it looks terrible and too zone centric,and im sick of wow for a reason,those cartoon graphics,some odd descisions have been made here.
    JamesGoblinBeezerbeez
  • DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701
    edited March 2019
    So when does it come out? and will it just be like guild ( zerg ) wars 2? where hundreds of people just move around in the blob mashing aoe skills?
    blamo2000
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351

Wow. I just now realised that what they called "worlds" all along are actually limited size maps with certain objective.

As opposed to all of those other games with maps that are infinitely large?
    FlyByKnight
  • JamesGoblinJamesGoblin Member RarePosts: 1,242

Also @Quizzical I agree that calling each part "world" is a stretch, but on the other hand these are not small (neither by player count nor by area) and Crowfall tech is built so that each can be varied further. They are actually doing quite good job with Unity.
     W...aaagh?

Quizzical said:

Opposed to battleground map in WoW. I guess. Since from the video it seems about the size.

I thought the worlds are going to be...you know...worlds. Not battlegrounds of shockingly small size.

As it is not. Its just combination of battleground maps. It seems like playing MOBA with some long term goal
    JamesGoblin

• colera1333colera1333 Member UncommonPosts: 8
    I would wait. It's not quite there yet.

1) The gameplay consists of harvesting/ crafting, standing in circles to cap points and about an hour of sieges a day. There is really not a whole lot of fun baked into the loop just yet. Apart from the sieges (which can be exciting) it kind of plays like a bad version of gw2 wvw but without the Zerg. Right now the mechanics of the system are boring and very uninspired.
    You take a fort by circle standing and then someone else takes it 5 mins later. Good luck fighting the opposing force because...

2) The two most geared/committed guilds in the game have nutcupped into a super faction that has dominated pvp since rewards were added (little over a month) After getting their shit kicked in every night a lot of folks have given up for now.

3) The META is real. It is nasty. You are forced into a handful of builds unless you want to get melted in seconds. No one (who knows any better) plays outside of it. Some stuff is straight up broken but as any game it will eventually get fixed.

4) Although fun, sieges are mostly a slideshow. Once around 40 people start fighting it becomes hard to deal with. Recently a new problem has come to light. The zones only hold 100 players so factions can stack a zone and lock it.

They have a huge performance update coming however. If they can't get performance to a reasonable state this game is DOA but I have faith it will work out.

If you like to craft and gather then this is up your alley. I'm not much of a crafter personally. The guild politics and sieges are a blast if you like that type of thing. Other than helping with the nightly siege window I haven't found much of a reason to log in lately.

I do think they will address the above problems but Imo it is just not ready for primetime. So in other words if you are on the fence give it until 5.9 or 6.0 at least.

JamesGoblinLokeroYashaX
  • blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130

DrunkWolf said:

So when does it come out?

and will it just be like guild ( zerg ) wars 2? where hundreds of people just move around in the blob mashing aoe skills?

I wish I knew. I was told they were having a "soft-release" in November of 18. Trying to find information I actually give a shit about is getting to be harder and harder.

Every time I waste a huge amount of time and energy going to their forum and checking the soft-release is always a couple patches away.

I wish developers realized how much this shit turns-off adults. I'm not asking for hard specifics - I'm just asking for it to be easy to find when the expected/general ballpark guesstimate of your own game is going to come out. Make it easy to find. Have it fucking stickied in your fucking forums and keep it updated when new information changes it/pushes-it back, whatever. No one cares or listens to petulant children that whine about a release date slipping. Stopping those idiots from have ammo by not giving working adults with children from having the most important bit of information is just plain bad business. It makes me resentful to you, and by extension your game.
    edited March 2019
    I would wait. It's not quite there yet.

1) The gameplay consists of harvesting/ crafting, standing in circles to cap points and about an hour of sieges a day. There is really not a whole lot of fun baked into the loop just yet. Apart from the sieges (which can be exciting) it kind of plays like a bad version of gw2 wvw but without the Zerg. Right now the mechanics of the system are boring and very uninspired.
    You take a fort by circle standing and then someone else takes it 5 mins later. Good luck fighting the opposing force because...

2) The two most geared/committed guilds in the game have nutcupped into a super faction that has dominated pvp since rewards were added (little over a month) After getting their shit kicked in every night a lot of folks have given up for now.

3) The META is real. It is nasty. You are forced into a handful of builds unless you want to get melted in seconds. No one (who knows any better) plays outside of it. Some stuff is straight up broken but as any game it will eventually get fixed.

4) Although fun, sieges are mostly a slideshow. Once around 40 people start fighting it becomes hard to deal with. Recently a new problem has come to light. The zones only hold 100 players so factions can stack a zone and lock it.

They have a huge performance update coming however. If they can't get performance to a reasonable state this game is DOA but I have faith it will work out.

If you like to craft and gather then this is up your alley. I'm not much of a crafter personally. The guild politics and sieges are a blast if you like that type of thing. Other than helping with the nightly siege window I haven't found much of a reason to log in lately.

I do think they will address the above problems but Imo it is just not ready for primetime. So in other words if you are on the fence give it until 5.9 or 6.0 at least.

Unity

The game was doomed to fail from the first day they chose to develop it in that engine ( made for smartphones )

• LonzoLonzo Member UncommonPosts: 294
    Are there people out there really interested in this vaporware?

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030

Quizzical said:

Opposed to battleground map in WoW. I guess. Since from the video it seems about the size.

I thought the worlds are going to be...you know...worlds. Not battlegrounds of shockingly small size.

As it is not. Its just combination of battleground maps. It seems like playing MOBA with some long term goal

Wow, the ignorance is strong with this one.
    JamesGoblin
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Lonzo said:
    Since I am playing I prove you wrong I guess, on both the interest and vaporware statement. And that for one sentence  ;)

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    JamesGoblin
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

Quizzical said:

Wow, the ignorance is strong with this one.

Perhaps.

How about this one ? Can you say he is not right ?

• GrarmGrarm Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    edited March 2019
    As a Shadowbane fan, I was incredibly hyped for this game for years. It showed some degree of promise even though I'm not a huge fan of the fact that there isn't a persistent world to explore. The thing that really put me off and made me decide I'm not going to even bother is that you NEED a guild, which I don't mind if it's reasonable. By NEED, I mean; to get beyond what is essentially a tutorial, you're screwed if you don't submit what is essentially a resume to the forums.

I don't know what I'd be able to bring to the table for any guild because I haven't been able to get far enough without one to understand what it is they are asking of me. At least in Shadowbane you could reasonably solo until at least level 50 or even to max if you were lucky with spawns. I don't mind needing to join a guild for endgame content, but literally being forced to join one in order to make basic low level progress seems a bit ridiculous.

Then again, the "Let's make Game of Thrones" mentality is strong here, which seems to have drowned out any semblance of what I was excited about when this game was first announced.

Though I will say, these are just my own personal issues with the game, the more I hear about the way it is being handled in most other areas is just reinforcing my lack of desire to even bother with this game anymore. Though I can certainly understand the type of player it would appeal to, good for them I suppose. 
    JamesGoblin
  • JamesGoblinJamesGoblin Member RarePosts: 1,242
    @Grarm that was a decent piece of honest feedback. Speaking of Crowfall universe and it's persistence...I'd write another textwall, so I better skip that I guess. On the other hand, I am not a member of any guild and I believe it's a matter of right mindset and what you want to get out of the current alpha tests!?

For example, if you want to win a Campaign - you have to join one of the big ones, and the situation is as you described it. Good thing is that Crowfall's very essence is about varying EVERYTHING, from rules, win conditions, player counts to the very sizes and shapes of it's servers i.e. the disposal of mountains,valleys etc. - furthermore they already demonstrated and let us test the underlying tech and are very willing to listen to the feedback.

Now, if they somehow fail to use all that variety and offer us enough choices (say, including people who prefer small scale PvP, small groups/guilds and/or gathering,crafting,exploration...) on different servers - it will indeed degenerate into zerg alliances swarming everything. All I'm saying is that there is a number of important advantages that Crowfall has over a number of "historical" failed examples, so it's still too early to tell.

PS Welcome to the forums!
    YashaX
     W...aaagh?
  • Binny45Binny45 Member UncommonPosts: 522

Lonzo said:

This game is far from vaporware. I've seen games in late beta that couldn't hold a candle to this game that is in pre-alpha. That's what people tend to forget, it's not even alpha yet. Sure there's stuff to fix, but that's what pre-alpha is for.
    JamesGoblin

• Binny45Binny45 Member UncommonPosts: 522

Grarm said:

As a Shadowbane fan, I was incredibly hyped for this game for years. It showed some degree of promise even though I'm not a huge fan of the fact that there isn't a persistent world to explore. The thing that really put me off and made me decide I'm not going to even bother is that you NEED a guild, which I don't mind if it's reasonable. By NEED, I mean; to get beyond what is essentially a tutorial, you're screwed if you don't submit what is essentially a resume to the forums.

I don't know what I'd be able to bring to the table for any guild because I haven't been able to get far enough without one to understand what it is they are asking of me. At least in Shadowbane you could reasonably solo until at least level 50 or even to max if you were lucky with spawns. I don't mind needing to join a guild for endgame content, but literally being forced to join one in order to make basic low level progress seems a bit ridiculous.

Then again, the "Let's make Game of Thrones" mentality is strong here, which seems to have drowned out any semblance of what I was excited about when this game was first announced.

Though I will say, these are just my own personal issues with the game, the more I hear about the way it is being handled in most other areas is just reinforcing my lack of desire to even bother with this game anymore. Though I can certainly understand the type of player it would appeal to, good for them I suppose. 

It is not hard to find a guild, at least in Balance it is not. If you're Balance faction and want to be half active, look up Blood Mandate.

• FrykkaFrykka Member UncommonPosts: 154

Lonzo said:

Pretty dumb statement. Vaporware is used for game concepts that never reach a playable testing state... Crowfall is playable and has a game loop. Improvements will bring it to release at the end of the year.

Vaporware describes "Ashes Of Creation, the MMO" currently because it has no playable/testing app, it is still just a multimillion dollar concept. Nobody can d/l it, explore it, play it, like Crowfall.
    JamesGoblin
  • seastoddseastodd Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    edited April 2019

Lonzo said:

I have been playing this game off and on in its development, for like 3 years now.
    Frykka is correct, Crowfall is very playable compared to many "early access" games I have tried out.

The game will definitely be brought to a complete release. The lead Developer JTodd Coleman, had his feet pulled out from under him by Ubisoft, once he let them take control of his company Wolfpack Studios
    to push the release called Shadowbane way back in the day. Having played that game also Ubisoft forced new features/ expansions before the old ones were probably fixed, and n the end the game died.

Hence the speed of the development process of this game, I dont think they want the same problems to happen again and well they really dont care if it takes longer as long as stuff is as close to right as possible.

The only way they could make a game like this, and not have someone constantly forcing them into deadlines that could not be met (because well coding is coding... sometimes the silliest error can hold
    you up for days) was through crowdfunding

I want them to finish the game as much as anyone, and I want it as soon as possible but in my eyes their development cycle is on point..

They are still adding features, new systems and well that is pre-alpha, as they said in an article you cant really call it alpha till you have the features in the game that will be there at release, that is on point.

Is the game optimized? no way... does it stutter and freeze... yup, I dont know what people are expecting other than this from a game in pre alpha. Alpha in my eyes is when you have all your content in and now you are going to focus on the optimization, they are not in alpha yet.

They have said the game has one more content patch, then they are pushing alpha, so I would say probably late may early June on that. 4 months of that would put us at around october for beta, so I am thinking they are looking to try to push the game out late 2019

JamesGoblin