Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In EVE: Aether Wars Demo, Nearly 4k Players & 10k AI-Controlled Vessels Went to Battle - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited March 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageIn EVE: Aether Wars Demo, Nearly 4k Players & 10k AI-Controlled Vessels Went to Battle - MMORPG.com

During this week's Game Developers Conference, CCP Games and Hadeon teamed up to showcase the "next evolution" of gaming by creating a virtual battle that saw over 14,000 ships taking part. Among that number were nearly 4,000 EVE Online players alongside 10,000 AI-controlled ships. The highest concurrent number reached over 10,000 and almost 9,000 ships were destroyed in the huge groundbreaking battle.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    That's pretty danged impressive. It'll be interesting to see where this goes in EVE.
    Beezerbeez

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    Coming soon, Eve Battle Royal
    Don't laugh, that is actually the plan.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited March 2019
    Kyleran said:
    I hope if they do that, that players are required to use their own ships. With ISK and all that, at least from my very limited knowledge of EVE, a battle royale mode of this sort would have real consequences rather than "play this premade ship, gather stuff and kill other meaningless ships in an equally meaningless battle".
    Beezerbeez

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768

SBFord said:

Kyleran said:

I hope if they do that, that players are required to use their own ships. With ISK and all that, at least from my very limited knowledge of EVE, a battle royale mode of this sort would have real consequences rather than "play this premade ship, gather stuff and kill other meaningless ships in an equally meaningless battle".

I don't even know how the gathering would work in Eve. Everything is incredibly slow paced normally, so the rush of trying to grab the guns in BR games would instantly be gone if you were trying to fit a barebones ship in Eve with 1k other players flying around you.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,976

Kyleran said:

I made a joke about that player who had explored everything, except what I called the Battle Royal Zone, it actually exists?
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    EVE Battle Royal: Galactica
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • TweFojuTweFoju Member UncommonPosts: 1,235
    ahh EvE, a game that many would like to play and love and call home, and gave up after a week.

So What Now?

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    Scot said:

Kyleran said:

I made a joke about that player who had explored everything, except what I called the Battle Royal Zone, it actually exists?
    Not yet, but in reading various articles about Hadeon's engine,  so far it appears CCP is blending EVE into a new but separate title as demo'd in this week's Aether Wars demo.

Has a very long way to go from what I read about the GDC demo.

GdemamiScot

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon