Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Latest Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen Newsletter Details Its New Game Zone - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited March 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageLatest Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen Newsletter Details Its New Game Zone - MMORPG.com

The Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen March newsletter is out and about, this time with news of Project Faerthale, a new zone in the works. The team is hoping that the end of the month will "see a new area populated with an encounter that will be playable in its basic form". The goal of the forthcoming encounter is to determine if the fun on paper transfers to fun in the game.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Amathe

Comments

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    So there is a chance that some NPC (say, a scantily clad sorceress) will appear with a "Playful" disposition? So many possibilities.
    Mensur[Deleted User]YukmarcRolanStormScotKyleranTacticalZombeh

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• diabeldiabel Member UncommonPosts: 36
    This one had my hope up... but at this rate we will be flying to work with our anti-gravity shoes before this comes out. Reality is a sad bitch slap to the face!
    ScottJesliselfdragon21wormedMensurKyleranGaladournnk362y
  • ZebbakeiZebbakei Member UncommonPosts: 38
    While this "could" be an interesting system, I hope it's at the end of their priority list. Put this in the first expansion or something.
    bng28
  • TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    I miss that old sense of seeing an NPC and wondering what information they had, instead of some quest market on their head, and engaging with them.

I used to love the text based systems but I can see how progression links with words fits into the modern gaming meta of today better. Good to see it return in some way though.

You stay sassy!

• digitalellisdigitalellis Member UncommonPosts: 2

diabel said:

This one had my hope up... but at this rate we will be flying to work with our anti-gravity shoes before this comes out. Reality is a sad bitch slap to the face!

[Deleted User][Deleted User]Kumaponperrin82[Deleted User]
  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141

Xodic said:

Zebbakei said:

While this "could" be an interesting system, I hope it's at the end of their priority list. Put this in the first expansion or something.

This system is a key pillar of the game - not something you add in later and hope it fits with what you already have.

Agree and not as hard to implement as people think. This can be done in a subtle way to add depth to player progression.
  • LonzoLonzo Member UncommonPosts: 294
    I dont get it. What is that system all about?

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    The 'A' has dropped of my Alarmist personality (I around screaming about the end of the world).
  • MensurMensur Member EpicPosts: 1,512
    edited March 2019

diabel said:

I dont like this Tryhard dude!
    digitalellis

mmorpg junkie since 1999

• MensurMensur Member EpicPosts: 1,512

Lonzo said:

Its about you!

mmorpg junkie since 1999

• blackthornnblackthornn Member UncommonPosts: 615

Amathe said:

So there is a chance that some NPC (say, a scantily clad sorceress) will appear with a "Playful" disposition? So many possibilities.

And one year later she'll return with child and a paternity lawyer in tow to give you a new chain of quests. Should have made sure you had the proper protection spells.

Progeny System!!!
    Kyleran
     Grouping in Old school mmo's: meeting someone at the bar and chatting, getting to know them before jumping into bed.  Current mmo's grouping: tinder.  swipe, hookup, hope you don't get herpes, never see them again.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited March 2019
    Wow that is a bold idea,not so sure i like it though,i just never really played it like that but i do see how it is a spinoff of other ideas used by him such as faction favors.I feel they are aiming in the wrong direction,why?Well there is a big picture when comes to gaming.
    something like this is kind of "behind the scenes code",you can't really see it or do much with it that will bring a level of fun to the character/game.

I feel the idea of groups has been long ignored for EASY design systems,there is a whole big world of ideas untouched .Characterization,too many look to visuals ,cutesy hai,pink nap sacks,however allowing a player to EARN and learn and grow better over time is more than simply gaining a level,FFXI showed us that template.

I do like the thought put into this system,the team is trying to create UNIQUE npc's and spawns rather than their typical spawn "A"kill a bunch then "AA" spawns,kill a bunch more and AAA spawns ,a bunch more and a Boss spawns.However this is going to cause a bit of umm how you say it,people will be like WTF?
    So instead of just playing and flowing through the game world,what will happen is people look for that specific combo idea to spawn the exact result they want.No different than boring TIER gear,NOBODY wants a random item,or a second tier item,they all want the BEST.

IDk it might work out ok,i am just not feeling it.I much prefer events,like REAL events and players coming together to conquer a common enemy or even to have random npc's arrive to thwart what was suppose to be thought as an easy task/battle.I like "surprises",idk like your fighting some ORc king and out of the blue you hear some noise,loud rumbling,the ground shakes and from behind a giant ORC riding a giant Dire Wolf,ok maybe too much Warcraft lol.

I hope it works out well.
    Mensur

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Arterius said:
    Lonzo said:
    It's basically giving NPC's personality so they will all act different. Depending on the personality they will have certain buffs, spells may not work on them, etc...
    Agree.  It is nothing new, just a name pasted onto the behavior that's been in games for years.  I'd call it a semantic change at best.  Mobs run, mobs bring a friend, mobs heal.

And why does this quote from the article seem to be incomplete?  "Players who choose to go the extra mile and learn, even networking with other players to learn, get rewarded with long-term, strategic benefits within the game."  Learning and networking?  Doesn't that mean visiting the spoiler sites?

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    edited March 2019
    It would be more interesting if they offered different sets of quests depending on their mood... and even more interesting if follow-up quests required yet again different disposition, or if they progressed differently based on disposition of the NPC
    Mensur
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Mendel said:
    Arterius said:
    Lonzo said:
    It's basically giving NPC's personality so they will all act different. Depending on the personality they will have certain buffs, spells may not work on them, etc...
    Agree.  It is nothing new, just a name pasted onto the behavior that's been in games for years.  I'd call it a semantic change at best.  Mobs run, mobs bring a friend, mobs heal.

And why does this quote from the article seem to be incomplete?  "Players who choose to go the extra mile and learn, even networking with other players to learn, get rewarded with long-term, strategic benefits within the game."  Learning and networking?  Doesn't that mean visiting the spoiler sites?

It's a little bit more than that. It's not just "behavior." It can also be players in an area "noticing" things which lead them to "other things."

I think it's kind of like having a dungeon master say "you make your way through the tunnels; suddenly, you sense a wisp of dust in one area of the wall. Moving closer you notice a finger of light pushing its way through the stones ... "

New? No. Not really. But it's a system that will hopefully make quests or events more immersive and engaging as opposed to running up to the ! over a npc's head.

As far as the word "networking" that means what it means, meeting other players in game and sharing information. Of course websites will sprout up with walk throughs, that is inevitable, but meeting people in game to share information will help foster community.

As it is more of a grouping game, I can only imagine that will be a good thing.
    digitalellis[Deleted User]
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo