Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best Sequel Ever

1235»

Comments

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member RarePosts: 4,828
    laserit said:
    Scot said:
    ikcin said:
    Scot said:

You do realise that many of the messages that people think they find in Lotro were denied by Tokien as being his intention?  People have said his work endoses racism (I cannot tell you how angry I was about that) and others that it makes a stand against it, this tells you more about the commentators than the author. People find what they want to find in art, literature, games, you name it.

Also just as a note, the Elves did not take part, that’s why the battle in the opening sequence is called The Last Alliance of Elves and Men. They defended their lands but sent no armies out to war, the time had come for men to rule Middle Earth. But I did not mind Jackson sending Elves to the Hornburg, it was good film wise.

For me as a Tolkien fan I knew the film would only work if the book was reimagined for that medium, so though I rankled at some changes it was still a great adaptation.

You know, I always want better :) 

Heroes of Might and Magic 3 - the best up to date. Heretic 2 - another great game underrated in US.  
    Heretic was an old favourite of mine. :)
    Wasn't Heretic that fantasy first person shooter? My brother really grooved on that one ;)
    Yes! Heretic and Hexen were the two fantasy first person shooters that ate up a lot of my free time, way back when :)
    PhaserlightJean-Luc_PicardlaseritVermillion_RaventhalMisterZebub

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• Jean-Luc_PicardJean-Luc_Picard Member LegendaryPosts: 7,830
    AlBQuirky said:
    laserit said:
    Scot said:
    ikcin said:
    Scot said:

You do realise that many of the messages that people think they find in Lotro were denied by Tokien as being his intention?  People have said his work endoses racism (I cannot tell you how angry I was about that) and others that it makes a stand against it, this tells you more about the commentators than the author. People find what they want to find in art, literature, games, you name it.

Also just as a note, the Elves did not take part, that’s why the battle in the opening sequence is called The Last Alliance of Elves and Men. They defended their lands but sent no armies out to war, the time had come for men to rule Middle Earth. But I did not mind Jackson sending Elves to the Hornburg, it was good film wise.

For me as a Tolkien fan I knew the film would only work if the book was reimagined for that medium, so though I rankled at some changes it was still a great adaptation.

Heroes of Might and Magic 3 - the best up to date. Heretic 2 - another great game underrated in US.  
    Wasn't Heretic that fantasy first person shooter? My brother really grooved on that one ;)
    Yes! Heretic and Hexen were the two fantasy first person shooters that ate up a lot of my free time, way back when :)
    Same here, loved those two games, when they announced a sequel to Heretic I was excited and Hexen didn't disappoint.
    AlBQuirky
    "The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn in Star Wars.
    After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that nor does the ability to write.
    CPU: Core I7 9700k (4.90ghz) - GPU: Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming - RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Savage DDR4 3000 - Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra - PSU: Antec TruePower New 750W - Storage: Kingston KC1000 NVMe 960gb SSD and 2x1TB WD Velociraptor HDDs (Raid 0) - Main display: Philips 40PUK6809 4K 3D TV - Second display: Philips 273v 27" gaming monitor - VR: Pimax 8K headset and Razer Hydra controllers - Soundcard: Sony STR-DH550 AV Receiver HDMI linked with the GPU and the TV, with Jamo S 426 HS 3 5.0 speakers and Pioneer S-21W subwoofer - OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bits.

• HashbrickHashbrick Member RarePosts: 1,645
    Hashbrick said:
    Easy and surprised no one said it yet.  Just Cause 2
    Ever?  That's a hot take, as they say in the sports world, but I like it.

Not gonna try to choose one, but I'll give a short list of my opinion:

Red Dead Redemption 2 (technically Red Dead Redemption is a sequel and deserves to be talked about, but RDR2 overshadows it)
    Diablo 2
    Resident Evil 2
    Team Fortress 2
    Half Life 2
    Well I'm going by the original question which is what is the most improved sequel.  So as far as engine, gameplay, structure etc.  Just Cause was a simple game and very restrictive.  Then Just Cause 2 came out an open world, parachute slinging physics adventure.  Not to mention the crazy mod community this game made.  So on improvement alone, yes I think Just Cause 2 is the most improvement to a sequel ever.

Now if we say what's your favorite sequel ever I would never mention Just Cause 2.
    laserit
    I'm a simple man spoiled from MMOs of the old age.  Looking for a home but deserted.  My heart and time is not worthy for the MMOs of the new age.
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member RarePosts: 4,828
    AlBQuirky said:
    laserit said:
    Scot said:
    ikcin said:
    Scot said:

Same here, loved those two games, when they announced a sequel to Heretic I was excited and Hexen didn't disappoint.
    I suppose I have to amend my first response now. Hexen was an awesome sequel! :lol:

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• FonclFoncl Member UncommonPosts: 347
    I'll say a game which I didn't see mentioned yet, Commandos 2: Men of Courage. The best real-time tactical, squad based, problem solving game to this day. Very rarely do I meet people who have played this great game sadly :/ 

The later games in the series don't come close to the first two and tanked the series. The IP for the series was recently bought by Kalypso Media, known for the Tropico games. I hope they can make some games worthy of the IP.