Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Albion Online Going Free to Play on April 10th - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited March 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageAlbion Online Going Free to Play on April 10th - MMORPG.com

On April 10th, anyone with a hankering to do so will be able to play Albion Online thanks to its free to play launch. "This change will bring incredible new dimensions to the world of Albion, as a new generation of players ready to make their mark on the world enters the fray." the blog reads.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• dreamsfadedreamsfade Member UncommonPosts: 339
    I'll try it now. :D
    QuicksandSiysrrilchocolate42069BotoBRAlomarmike32927TokkenRenoakuvelimiriusSlyLoKand 2 others.

• SpiiderSpiider Member RarePosts: 1,135
    I supported it during development. It showed promise. But execution is so average, nothing makes it special. And gankfest called pvp is plain silly. Wannabe 2d eve online that turns into gankfest. Just my humble opinion.
    ScottJeslisGdemamidarkheartsAlomarTokkenHarikenvelimiriussakinolunfilteredJW

No fate but what we make, so make me a ham sandwich please.

• DafutoKamiDafutoKami Member CommonPosts: 2
    And another one bites the dust
    Rain_DeathravenSeelinnikoiGdemamiWhiteshade92Truvidien88chocolate42069darkheartsTokkenvelimirius
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,838
    This one hadn't caught my interest as a subscription game, but as a free to play one, it might be fun to try with one of my RL friends.
  • ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    Spiider said:
    I supported it during development. It showed promise. But execution is so average, nothing makes it special. And gankfest called pvp is plain silly. Wannabe 2d eve online that turns into gankfest. Just my humble opinion.
    I’m not a fan of it, but it is a 3D game :)
  • DaranarDaranar Member UncommonPosts: 392
    When are we going to stop acting like going F2P is great for a game.

"This change will bring incredible new dimensions to the world of Albion, as a new generation of players ready to make their mark on the world enters the fray."

Translation: "The game is dying, we aren't making enough money, we tapped out our core players. So we need to make a final push to grab a few more cows to milk to keep our jobs a few more months or maybe a couple years if we get lucky."
    KyleranTheocritusGdemamiWhiteshade92alkarionlogXingbairongCyber_wastelandThaharAlomar[Deleted User]and 6 others.

If I want a world in which people can purchase success and power with cash, I'll play Real Life. Keep Virtual Worlds Virtual!

• ScottJeslisScottJeslis Member UncommonPosts: 355

Aeander said:

This one hadn't caught my interest as a subscription game, but as a free to play one, it might be fun to try with one of my RL friends.

I coulda sworn it was B2P.
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,838

Aeander said:

Maybe it is. *Shrugs*

But that would be an even more baffling choice. A subscription game can thrive on a niche audience like what this game would clearly have. A free to play game lets them gamble for a larger audience. A buy to play game just lets them keep the same audience size without reliably monetizing them over time.
    Gdemami
  • SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360
    I give one year until complete shutdown.
    If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    The recently posted roadmap is very promising.  I played this for a couple of months but stopped due to things like the game centering around one city despite being a "sandbox" and the fact that mega-guilds controlled everything.  

The updates that have trickled out since and especially the ones on the horizon look to fix all the issues I had with the game, might re-sub now. 
  • Pher0ciousPher0cious Member RarePosts: 489
    Everything turns free to play. Everything!!
    ('''\( ',.:.,' )/''')
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    edited March 2019
    But what about all the gold Sellers and bots?

Won't they just run rampant, commit fraud, and force the game to close?

The company should sell to someone else who can better manage it.
    Gdemami
    edited March 2019
    I believe it is currently buy to play. I bought it at launch and tried it again a month or so ago and didn’t have to subscribe. They are just removing the box price. I’m fairly sure anyway. Don’t think I had any kind of trial. 
    Renoaku said:
    But what about all the gold Sellers and bots?

Won't they just run rampant, commit fraud, and force the game to close?

The company should sell to someone else who can better manage it.
    The usual cycle of report/ban. It’s no different than any other game in that regard. 
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    Daranar said:

"This change will bring incredible new dimensions to the world of Albion, as a new generation of players ready to make their mark on the world enters the fray."

Translation: "The game is dying, we aren't making enough money, we tapped out our core players. So we need to make a final push to grab a few more cows to milk to keep our jobs a few more months or maybe a couple years if we get lucky."
    1, why shouldn't they do what they can to stay in business? Don't they owe it to the players who have spent money on the game and who would like to continue playing to do what they can to continue?

2, are you saying that if you owned a business you wouldn't figure out ways to keep it going? You would just sit there and pick your nose and shrug your shoulders and wait for the repo man?

3, Why shouldn't people fight to keep their jobs and stay employed?
    arbi15Panther2103KyleranReaperman69Asch126[Deleted User]MrMelGibson
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited March 2019
    This game is doing well now after how hollow it was at launch. Game is either you love it, or you deeply hate it. :D (I'm the former)

I like the direction it goes, F2P not much as it's the biggest enemy of the game's economy; but the PvE content drive is great with the new system for dungeons and the roadmap plans for the next updates are also good news tackling several core topics.

Albion is one of the most well-balanced MMOs with this whole full loot PvP scenario and fully player-driven economy I ever played, a large amount of opportunity that allows you to play how you want while being successful/profitable at it.
    laseritKyleranCuppett5
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited March 2019
    Daranar said:

Albion was actually always meant to be a F2P game since the start, then they changed their minds and decided to be B2P, and remained as such for years. This move was already being rumored and not really because the game was dying as the pops remain around the same from what the game usually works (people just group up in bigger groups from what once was more random solos and such), just the direction of their development overall.

I like it B2P because the economy is very stable, tho I might see that the fact everyone can easily grind in a day and pay the premium subscription, etc... was not making them much money at all.
    Gdemami
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    MaxBacon said:
    Albion was actually always meant to be a F2P game since the start
    ...source?
    [Deleted User]Alexander.B
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Gdemami said:
    MaxBacon said:
    Albion was actually always meant to be a F2P game since the start
    ...source?
    https://www.pcgamer.com/albion-online-ditches-free-to-play-model-closed-beta-extended-by-six-months/
    Kyleranlaserit[Deleted User]mike32927velimirius

• UdoDUdoD Member UncommonPosts: 17
    Is this available for iPhone yet?
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768
    Aeander said:

Aeander said:

Maybe it is. *Shrugs*

But that would be an even more baffling choice. A subscription game can thrive on a niche audience like what this game would clearly have. A free to play game lets them gamble for a larger audience. A buy to play game just lets them keep the same audience size without reliably monetizing them over time.
    It was B2P with an optional subscription. But the subscription gave such a huge benefit that it was extremely hard to play completely F2P unless you were buying the sub with in game currency (which you could do from other players).
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • BloodDiimondBloodDiimond Member UncommonPosts: 26
    I'd still like to see this game go instead of full loot they switch to just inventory. Restarting on gear at least once a day was rough :/
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Wonk wonk wonk
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    Why not just swallow your pride and make a pve ruleset server... Old UO doesn't work these days. Heck it didn't work back then once more games became available without pvp.