Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do I increase the difficulty?

2»

Comments

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Great stuff guys, thanks.  That's too bad that this game was made so easy!  It has so much going for it.  Ah well, at least you guys pointed me to some nice challenges.  Sounds like DLC dungeons, soloing normal group dungeons and PVP should get me wrecked quite a bit.  Good!  

The overland content feels like the electronic equivalent of crochet, i.e. something to keep your hands busy while you're paying attention to something else.  Not my idea of a good MMO, but I am happy ESO is doing so well.

Thanks again.
    It used to be pretty hard but all the overland pve content got dumbed down (I think people complained it was too hard?) and when you get max champion points its even easier.

The overland content is basically where you go to pick flowers so you can make potions for pvp.
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    k61977 said:
    The main story is fairly easy, yes.  Particularly if you play a heavy armor build.

However, there are far more challenging things to do in the game than the overworld of the vanilla game and main story quests.  

All of the DLC content is a much increased difficulty level, and if you really want to get crazy go into Craglorn and play there, trust me you won't be complaining about it being too easy then.

Unless something has changed in the last 6 months, took a break, Craglorn is no longer a group only area.  I was able to solo most everything other than some of the things where you actually have to have someone do something while you do it also.  They made it a solo friendly area a year or two ago.
    Huh, I can't remember the last time I played.  Maybe I just suck lololol
  • cmorris975cmorris975 Member UncommonPosts: 207
    The main story is fairly easy, yes.  Particularly if you play a heavy armor build.

However, there are far more challenging things to do in the game than the overworld of the vanilla game and main story quests.  

All of the DLC content is a much increased difficulty level, and if you really want to get crazy go into Craglorn and play there, trust me you won't be complaining about it being too easy then.

Great.  Thanks for the suggestions!  

I did actually get caught off guard yesterday and die while soloing a public dungeon.  I can't remember which one but it was in the desert with sorcerors casting fire spells.  It's amazing how much more fun it is when there is some threat of dying/loss.
    Hi everyone.

Edited because it was "ranty".

Basically I love the game but find the majority of it to be way too easy.

What do you guys do for a challenge?  Is all of the overland and solo content just very easy?

Is all of the challenge in group dungoens and PvP?

Thanks!

Chris
    Ok you told us how LETT you are move on nothing to see here.....
    I'm not sure what "lett" means, but maybe you mean "leet" as in "elite"?  I'm sorry if you got that impression as I am not trying to claim to be some high-level video game player. 

I'm actually a middle-aged guy who had to retire early due to having a bad case multiple sclerosis.  I'm 45 and significantly disabled.  I had to relearn how to speak, type, etc., due to brain damage but I never recouped all of it back.  I'll spare you all the details but I'm sure most of you guys could play rings around me.

Again, my apologies if I offended anyone.  I'm excited that there's challenging things to do in this fantastic game.  It'll provide a nice distraction on days where I am fatigued or have spare time.

By the way, I've been playing it sometimes in VR using Vorpx and the Oculus Rift.  If you tweak the settings and are careful to use the middle mouse buttons on menus then it works really well!  Dungeons in VR are very cool.  The whole game is really.
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Blindfold, meet cmorris975. You’re welcome  ;)

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    cmorris975
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Tell your spouse your lover is better looking, and then try to play the game undistracted.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

lahnmir said:
    Blindfold, meet cmorris975. You’re welcome  ;)

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Made me laugh.  To be fair, I've played the game more now and found some challenges.  Maybe my initial assessment was too hasty.  Love the game.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited March 2019
    gervaise1 said:
    Great stuff guys, thanks.  That's too bad that this game was made so easy!  It has so much going for it.  Ah well, at least you guys pointed me to some nice challenges.  Sounds like DLC dungeons, soloing normal group dungeons and PVP should get me wrecked quite a bit.  Good!  <snip>
    The game wasn't "made easier".

When it launched - in broad terms - to get to level 10 you did the up to level 10 content; then on to the 10-20 content ...... 40-50 content. Then you became a veteran and did the other alliance zones which had been "boosted" in difficulty. Which felt somewhat artificial. And you could either do each alliance in order or (my memory says) mix and match. And after you had done a second alliance it certainly wasn't hard at all. 

And as characters gained in vet levels in became easier and easier. They upped the vet level cap slightly post-launch and added a new area that made it "more difficult" by training multiple mobs on you but fundamentally it was never hard. 

Now some folk did complain that vet levels were "hard" but, imo, the more honest comments were "on rails" and "tedious". 

With One Tamriel they changed the approach. All zones were adjusted to a set "level". Sort of as they were adjusted at launch when you went through them as a vet. And - the big change - was that characters were scaled up to the selected level.

You can still get bored doing ESO quests today. And you can go anywhere so its no longer on rails - which helps. Plus the artificial nature of the "mob boost" has gone.

And devs have worked at adding difficulty through mechanics. Some of the later stuff can be "tricky" - which is not the same as "hard as in almost impossible to do, 1 in a million odds of doing it".

Games are meant to be entertaining. Hitting a monster for 20 minutes or attacking one and being killed by a single blow is not entertaining. The fun lies in the stories, the puzzles. Mmos in general have never been hard. Taken a lot of time - frequently - but not hard. 

And if you want a real challenge ESO also has campaign PvP were you join "your team" and take on other human players. Who will provide a challenge. Think of chess or Go. Both are easy games to play, the challenge depends on who you play against.
    Sorry, but I don't understand your logic.  You said that the game was not "made easier" but then go on to say that all zones were adjusted to a set level whereas before they would get progressively tougher (or for higher leveled characters).  

To me that is the very definition of "made easier".  If things were still like that then all I would have to do in order to find a challenge would be to start early on the next zone in the progression series.  I would not have made this thread in that case.

You are right, games are meant to be entertaining.  Unfortunately for me, being able to steamroll content without thought and just mashing the same three buttons is not entertaining.  I think overcoming challenges is extremely entertaining but those are hard to find here.

I also disagree with your assertions that difficulty has to mean 20 minutes of overcoming a mob's hitpoints.  I'm sure some games are guilty of overusing that mechanic to increase difficulty.  But that is only one way and it is a rather lazy one.  

MMOs have definitely been hard, so I think you are wrong there too.  EVE has been difficult for a long time outside of hi-sec.  Early EQ1 was punishing and intense in the dungeons while also being fairly popular (before WoW).  Add a PvP server on top of that difficulty and you really had to pay attention.  It was great!

I get that some people like easy content.  That's fine and I think you are in the majority as evidenced by how most MMOs play today.  I'd ask you to acknowledge that there are people out there who find it not very fun or stimulating (not "entertaining", to use your word).

It's OK.  I'm glad you are having fun.  As I said before, if that is what the masses want then that's what any sane business would give them.  I've been left out of mainstream MMORPGs since WoW came on the scene though; forced to adapt if I want to have any fun, hence this thread.

I'll try Cyrodill as per you suggestion and thanks for your thoughts.

As you say under the old system you could have simply skipped a zone when it became "easy". Which would have worked for a third of the (original) zones say. You would end up "overpowering" between a half and the remaining two-thirds - there was some challenge at the start of your second alliance but depends how you play. 

With "the change" all the content was set at a level (cp160); new characters would suffer instant death. To avoid this new characters are given a boost - to cp160; the boost diminishes as characters level. Even with the bonus though the content is still more of a challenge than for genuine cp160 characters.

So the start the game - arguably - became harder. Additionally it is no longer possible to get to the point at which characters can "over-power" content. Nothing is trivial. Park a character where mobs walk - expect to be dead when you return.

As I said some people did complain that it was "hard" when it launched but "grind" imo would be a better description. If anything rather than "dumbing down" the game the change - in totality - made it harder!

What people find difficult varies. ESO, imo, was "easy" when it launched and remains so. So was EQ1, AO, DAoC, WoW etc etc - again imo. I play e.g. CKII if I want a serious challenge.

As to challenge in ESO @Iselin gave some ideas above.

Cyrodill is a fun - huge - area. There are dolmans and even some PvE stuff but - fundamentally - its about PvP. Solo, in a group or with dozens of others. No death penalty, not a gankfest. If you stick around join a guild 

Imperial City is a mixed PvP / PvE area. Its does have some tough PvE bosses as well as the added PvP risk. Twisty passages - you might be ambushed. Again though no reason not to try it.

Thief's Guild challenges. These are - to a large extent - about sneaking and hiding. Which needs a different approach. The Dark Brotherhood introduced a different set of mechanics but ...

(For a challenge (non-ESO) I play games like Crusader Kings II. )

P.S. I play other games as well. ESO is the type of game you can drop in and out of.
    Post edited by gervaise1 on
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    It use to be harder by just not crafting anything but now sets tend to drop a lot in the wild.  You could try and solo some dark anchors or world bosses or dungeons bosses but usually players join in.  

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• JamieCopticJamieCoptic Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    Honestly, anyone trying to justify why it's good this game is not difficult enough is full of it... Combat IS the game. It's the thing you do in the game which everything else is centered around. Your build, your gear is clear evidence of that... Questing isn't fun without a reward like ummm.. loot. Your gear should have a good bit of planning in it ie. wearing specific gear for specific purposes.. different dungeons etc.. and the game just feels hollow without this experience because well, your gear doesn't matter. crafting doesn't matter, looting doesn't matter, and frankly your skills don't matter. The game is so painfully easy you could go make a sandwich and come back and you'd still be alive. There is literally no way to die even if you tried. So how does any choice you make in the game matter? And for real, the consequence for dying is lame too. The game is a hollow experience at its best for this very reason. Your choices just do not matter, you will survive every fight. Your achievements are hollow when you cannot fail.
  • KratierKratier Member RarePosts: 626
    i think all mmos overland content is way too easy like, the people who go and particularly complain about eso's overland being too easy, what fucking mmo did you come from? they are all faceroll easy that anyone can spam 1 button to win