Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Games lost all their Magic because developers share every little fucking detail

ScoliozScolioz Member UncommonPosts: 110
edited March 2019 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
When I was a kid I remember going to the store to buy computer games..  I would see the game boxes on the shelf and start getting a woody just wondering how cool the games must be to play... These were the days before game developers ever interacted with people when they were developing their games.. The games still had magic because there was mystery... and the only thing you had was a game manual to read..

Now a days the [mod edit] hold press conferences about their games, and hands on presentations, and 17,000 videos of gameplay and basically everyone has already played it before it even comes out.

[mod edit]
Post edited by Vaross on
delete5230Gdemami4507AlBQuirkyScotDaranarrojoArcueidGodeaubcbully

Comments

• Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    I would like to see more MMORPG actually have things players don't understand nor data mine.  Having a huge world and mysteries out ther and let player research and theorize problems.

Hatefullklash2defSovrathAmarantharAlBQuirkyScotazarhalnatpickrojoArcueidGodeau
  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    Agreed and everyone has an opinion about a game before they even play it, so everything they say is biased day one of launch.  You are so right about this one.
    klash2defAlBQuirkyazarhalrojoArcueidGodeaubcbully
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    I don't mind marketing a game, what I do mind is maps with markers all over them and being told where to go without having to pay attention to what an NPC is saying. Let the players figure it out and share the info. Marking up your own map should be a staple in MMORPGs specifically. Mystery and exploration is DEFINITELY a lost aspect of the genre.
    natpickAmaranthardelete5230Gdemami4507AlBQuirkyGodeau
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • flguy147flguy147 Member UncommonPosts: 507
    I think having every detail all over the internet does hurt games.  Yes i know we dont have to pull it up but researching a game we find out so much and even run into spoilers.  For instance something like skyshards in ESO, people just use an addon or look it up online to find the location.  It makes games so much more interesting when you randomly find things in a game.  That is just one example.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Er, point of order, sounds like a personal problem. 

While it's true one can find out everything about a game before it launches,  no one is forced to read about it, or watch videos. 

I actually don't,  NMS, FO76, and POE I read very little about them, and even after putting in quite a bit of time I still am bumbling my way through each.

Is it efficient, heck no, but it has been much more interesting to try and figure things out on my own, even if I never do.

If I find my progress completely blocked, such as appears to be the case in Act 3 in POE I'll break down, first trying to find a write up or worse case, a video to get past it.

gervaise1klash2defk61977AlBQuirky

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Scolioz said:
    When I was a kid I remember going to the store to buy computer games..  I would see the game boxes on the shelf and start getting a woody just wondering how cool the games must be to play... These were the days before game developers ever interacted with people when they were developing their games.. The games still had magic because there was mystery... and the only thing you had was a game manual to read..

Now a days the idiots hold press conferences about their games, and hands on presentations, and 17,000 videos of gameplay and basically everyone has already played it before it even comes out.

idiots.
    I feel positive that if you look through the  Humble Bundle / Steam you will find games that you have never heard anything about. 

Or just join the Epic Store and download the free game they have every 2 weeks. Some of them have been interesting, others - as far as I am concerned - not at all.

Now when it comes to AAA big budget titles - they cost a lot and so need to sell "lots". And most people - I suggest - are not prepared to buy sight unseen. Which means the games need lots of marketing - which increases their costs - which means they need to sell even more copies - which means more marketing. 

So its not the devs fault but gamers like e.g. me. I could say sorry but I wouldn't mean it. And I know I am not alone. I do understand were you are coming from though hence why I suggest you check out e.g. the free Epic Store games.
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    edited March 2019

Scolioz said:

Now a days the idiots hold press conferences about their games, and hands on presentations, and 17,000 videos of gameplay and basically everyone has already played it before it even comes out.

idiots.

wow... We no longer live in 1991. If you don't like it, disconnect from the internet, invent a time machine.
    Post edited by Tiller on
    FlyByKnightCryomatrixAmarantharGodeau
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701
    I know what you mean but in todays gaming industry with so many money grabs, without that info we would all be getting scammed left and right. hell even with all the info people still get suckered into buying bad games that they quickly quit and then complain about.
    GladDogCitizenX007
  • ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    Kyleran said:

While it's true one can find out everything about a game before it launches,  no one is forced to read about it, or watch videos. 

I actually don't,  NMS, FO76, and POE I read very little about them, and even after putting in quite a bit of time I still am bumbling my way through each.

Is it efficient, heck no, but it has been much more interesting to try and figure things out on my own, even if I never do.

If I find my progress completely blocked, such as appears to be the case in Act 3 in POE I'll break down, first trying to find a write up or worse case, a video to get past it.

Not really a personal problem as everything, including humans, are designed to follow the path of least resistance. You might be able to resist reading up on things... Oh wait you just admitted to using the sites when you are stuck ;)

My point is this goes for everything, ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING, you will inherently go with the path of least resistance. People complain about quest indicators and the people that "want" them say, "You can turn them off" or the same thing with path indicators, you know the lights or arrows that tell you where to go "If you don't want to use it, turn it off" but then you are at a disadvantage to other players. No one really wants to be at a disadvantage to other players.

I long for a game like the old school EQ where path and quest indicators don't exist. Where the map is unknown and looking things up online can't happen in the first year. To top that I would love it if a developer could throw in some changes periodically, even dynamically, so those sites that compile information are outdated the moment they're updated.
    ScotAlBQuirky
  • Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    Kyleran said:

Somethings can kept secret by design.  Of course a scripted MMORPG will be known eventually but maybe just maybe we have less scripting.  
    AmarantharGdemamiGodeau
  • Mackaveli44Mackaveli44 Member RarePosts: 710
    edited March 2019
    Scolioz said:

idiots.
    Agreed, same can be said for MMO's as well, especially raid content.  Developers put raids on the test server for guilds to test, further putting out strategies before the shits even released to the public and than guilds sit there and claim world first.  I call bullshit, take away mods(especially the mods that tell you practically everything... where to stand, what button to push, when to wipe your ass, when to stroke your cock, etc) take away the ability to test stuff, take away 192083901823 things of information and than you can legitimately call for firsts.  This further emphasizes Scolioz's point.

They spoil all the magic and adventure when things get released. 
  • ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    edited March 2019
    Did op get banned for calling dev teams “idiots” or “fucking” in the title? 
  • bonzoso21bonzoso21 Member UncommonPosts: 380
    Also, games had more "magic" when you were a kid because you were a kid. And how many times back then did you see sweet cover art and flip the box over to read hints of the most amazing game ever, then get home and spend about 2 hours with a steaming pile before never touching it again? And with PC games, you couldn't even get refunds or trade them in since everything had a CD key...at least with console games we could spend $5 at Blockbuster to rent it for a week.

Sure, the internet can spoil pretty much everything if you let it--or even if you're just not careful--but it's pretty great to be able to check out just enough pre-release coverage to decide whether you think you'll like a game or not, and generally be right about 90% of the time.
  • Siris23Siris23 Member UncommonPosts: 388
    The gaming community has gone from consumers to consumer/documenter/tutorial maker/graphics and engine modder/beta and alpha tester. Developers barely have to make a game any more now that gamers will do a lot of their work for free (or even pay to do the work).

In this kind of environment how can we not know every little detail. 
  • JippiijooJippiijoo Member UncommonPosts: 100
    I agree that they reveal too much, but that is why i won't look for any info or look at gameplay of Cyberpunk 2077 and i didin't look for any gameplay or info about Metro: Exodus, both games i know i would play so i dont need any info. Also movie trailers is same thing for me, never watch them or i might lose all interest which has happened many times.
  • JippiijooJippiijoo Member UncommonPosts: 100
    edited March 2019
    Jippiijoo said:
    I agree that they reveal too much, but that is why i won't look for any info or look at gameplay of Cyberpunk 2077 and i didin't look for any gameplay or info about Metro: Exodus, both games i know i would play so i dont need any info. Also movie trailers is same thing for me, never watch them or i might lose all interest which has happened many times.

And when it comes to mmorpg's i only look at the combat system, other things are probably the same old same old with mmo's so combat system is where its at.

Jesus sorry its very late i am failing and double posting. Sorry
  • HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    I would like to see more MMORPG actually have things players don't understand nor data mine.  Having a huge world and mysteries out ther and let player research and theorize problems.

I like this idea very much. The devs could even have content updates without notification. Literally: We added some things, and fixed some bugs. Enjoy!
    4507AlBQuirkylaseritbcbully

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,797
    edited March 2019
    Kyleran said:

Somethings can kept secret by design.  Of course a scripted MMORPG will be known eventually but maybe just maybe we have less scripting.  
    Yes, please!
    I'd like to see a game that is loaded with mysteries and secrets that are worth keeping secret. Those types that like to spill the beans will always be out there, but I'd hope that a game such as this would have plenty of stuff that they haven't found out. And only a close association of friends, maybe only one player, knows.

In UO, I found an access to a room that few others knew. And eventually most of the others left the game, leaving me alone with the knowledge (I think).
    The I started a secret society and showed them the way for secret meetings, but I'm confident that they never revealed it.
    That was kind of cool.
    Vermillion_Raventhal

Once upon a time....

• iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    Well , i play anime gacha game now . In those game even if they show you all the data , owning one is real deal . And most of them are season contents so no problem with the data .

MMORPG should learn one or 2 things from them .
  • AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,797
    iixviiiix said:
    Well , i play anime gacha game now . In those game even if they show you all the data , owning one is real deal . And most of them are season contents so no problem with the data .

MMORPG should learn one or 2 things from them .
    That reminds me of an old idea.
    What if knowing something, like how to get through a portal or secret door, how to find a special herb in the location it's found, knowledge things like that, you "own" in your memory? And only you can then get through that door or find that herb (or maybe a few others, depending on design).
    You can do this with anything. Non-transferable.

Ways of getting this sort of knowledge might be reading tomes or scrolls that then burn up, drinking a unique potion, hmmm, you get the idea.

Once upon a time....

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Tiller said:

Scolioz said:

idiots.

wow... We no longer live in 1991. If you don't like it, disconnect from the internet, invent a time machine.
    You need the Internet to help build the time machine.  Build it first, then stop the Internet from happening maybe ?

But then again, if you hate the Internet so bad, you can't go on it to stop it !

See, now I'm all twisted.  That happens to me every time I time travel or watch a movie about it :s
    bcbully
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,166
    Kyleran said:

Not really a personal problem as everything, including humans, are designed to follow the path of least resistance. You might be able to resist reading up on things... Oh wait you just admitted to using the sites when you are stuck ;)

My point is this goes for everything, ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING, you will inherently go with the path of least resistance.
    Reading up on things or watching a video when stuck as a matter of last resort is not the path of least resistance you claim everyone takes.

As stated, the existence of information doesn't require that it be sought out. If you want less seek less and you shall have it.
    KyleranChildoftheShadows
  • GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    Games lost their magic because developers follow marketeers' instructions in their designs, not because they share every little detail.
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    Siris23 said:
    The gaming community has gone from consumers to consumer/documenter/tutorial maker/graphics and engine modder/beta and alpha tester. Developers barely have to make a game any more now that gamers will do a lot of their work for free (or even pay to do the work).

In this kind of environment how can we not know every little detail. 
    Don't forget "entitled investor" with the crowd funding :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    edited March 2019
    Marketing and its hype machine dictates that we must know, you need to know what type of coffe game designers drink, never mind every detail about the game.

Same for the whole entertainment industry, there is no room for surprise, everything is super cool and you need to know about it yesterday. No matter how hard you try they catch you out, I avoid trailers etc but they will get you.

I remember switching over the TV and seeing the biggest surprise from Men in Black, there in a trailer before I realised what it was and switched again. But as with so much in gaming and entertainment this is just part of an evolving process that never has a final destination, the hype train just rolls out ever bigger and faster.
    Godeau