Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Division 2 Review-in-Progress #1: Welcome to D.C. - MMORPG.com

2»

Comments

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,838
    exile01 said:
    Im to old for this crap and i dont get paid to play these games. Dont see any appeal to it and when watching streamers i almost fall instantly asleep.
    I mean I fall asleep watching streamers in general, but I really just don't get the appeal of watching someone play a game over being the one playing it.
    maskedweaseldragonlee66[Deleted User]Mr.Gutsy[Deleted User]LackingMMOlaserit
  • gunklackergunklacker Member UncommonPosts: 247
    Just a little tip, something i just found out today, when in map, you can tab(pc) , right button(consoles) will get you to the muilt-player option, for me made the game 100% better :)
    Xarktard
  • GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470

Arterius said:

Got a question ? been playing 2 days casual, when does the multi-player come in, i havent seen a live person yet?

In safe houses you see other people otherwise you have to answer there distress call or you have to make a group before a mission. The open world is designed to be more your playground. As you take strongholds and stuff the world changes. In very small ways. So they don't allow people to run around in your open world environment. From what they have said, the end game you can change the open world in bigger ways. Don't know if this is true or marketing fluff as I am only lvl 10.

I'm max level and almost all geared out already.  World tier 4, and not quite at gear score 450 but close.

Things do change substantially.  I was a little confused when going through the world tiers, and how the black tusks and the invaded missions actually work.  So far, it doesn't look like, after running through the invaded missions the first time, you can't rerun them in invaded mode. You can change the normal difficulties to normal, hard and challenge mode.  

Hard mode is very tough on WT4, but challenge mode is near impossible without a group. 

The world gets much more hostile. You won't be able to port around much, black tusks take to the streets, enemies ramp up their attacks on each other, and areas flip occupation very quickly. Trade routes will be blocked, and settlements will be attacked so that you can't travel to them until you clear the enemies.  Large aerial drones can follow and attack you out of the blue, and simply moving from one area to another can become a huge undertaking.  Control points can flip between the many factions and you can actually have a 3 way battle between the occupying faction, the attacking faction, and you.

It doesn't open up the amount of players you see in game, aside from, at least on PC, there are a lot more people in the safe houses, as it's pretty much where all players end up eventually.  You get repeatable projects and stuff to complete.  

The leveling journey was pretty good, but at end game, I group the majority of the time by simply queuing up for each mission, or answering backup calls. I had a good amount of fun getting there, but it's much more fun at max.  Unfortunately world tier 5 hasn't released yet, nor the raid or the final stronghold, despite it being in the game, it isn't unlocked yet.  Still having a great time, after I get to 450, it's time to explore the darkzones. :smile:

Jesus, have you changed your poop sock yet? I've been playing TD2 a few hours each day since Tuesday and I'm only level 10.
    [Deleted User]

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    Ginaz said:

Arterius said:

Got a question ? been playing 2 days casual, when does the multi-player come in, i havent seen a live person yet?

In safe houses you see other people otherwise you have to answer there distress call or you have to make a group before a mission. The open world is designed to be more your playground. As you take strongholds and stuff the world changes. In very small ways. So they don't allow people to run around in your open world environment. From what they have said, the end game you can change the open world in bigger ways. Don't know if this is true or marketing fluff as I am only lvl 10.

I'm max level and almost all geared out already.  World tier 4, and not quite at gear score 450 but close.

Things do change substantially.  I was a little confused when going through the world tiers, and how the black tusks and the invaded missions actually work.  So far, it doesn't look like, after running through the invaded missions the first time, you can't rerun them in invaded mode. You can change the normal difficulties to normal, hard and challenge mode.  

Hard mode is very tough on WT4, but challenge mode is near impossible without a group. 

The world gets much more hostile. You won't be able to port around much, black tusks take to the streets, enemies ramp up their attacks on each other, and areas flip occupation very quickly. Trade routes will be blocked, and settlements will be attacked so that you can't travel to them until you clear the enemies.  Large aerial drones can follow and attack you out of the blue, and simply moving from one area to another can become a huge undertaking.  Control points can flip between the many factions and you can actually have a 3 way battle between the occupying faction, the attacking faction, and you.

It doesn't open up the amount of players you see in game, aside from, at least on PC, there are a lot more people in the safe houses, as it's pretty much where all players end up eventually.  You get repeatable projects and stuff to complete.  

The leveling journey was pretty good, but at end game, I group the majority of the time by simply queuing up for each mission, or answering backup calls. I had a good amount of fun getting there, but it's much more fun at max.  Unfortunately world tier 5 hasn't released yet, nor the raid or the final stronghold, despite it being in the game, it isn't unlocked yet.  Still having a great time, after I get to 450, it's time to explore the darkzones. :smile:

Jesus, have you changed your poop sock yet? I've been playing TD2 a few hours each day since Tuesday and I'm only level 10.
    No need for that. It only takes about 15 - 20 hours to reach max level. I didn't rush. I started playing Monday. 
    Xarktard

• GreatswordGreatsword Member RarePosts: 355

Aeander said:

Aeander said:

Scot said:

Comparing Division 2 to an early access game like Anthem is just punching below the belt. ;)

this insane flying power fantasy. I can't get that anywhere else.

The Warframe download doesn't work for you?

Not even remotely comparable. If I wanted ground-focused parkour hack and slashery with some shooting, then yes, I'd be playing Warframe right now. But I can't get an experience comparable to a hovering Storm in Warframe. 

And yes, my download works fine. It worked just fine when I gave them my founder's money years ago, and it works just fine now that I've played the game for hundreds of hours.

I'm a fan of Excalibur, Limbo, Hydroid, Oberon, and Loki, by the way. What I am not a fan of, however, is the general arrogance of a community that thinks that their game is the only one that needs to exist in their genre.

Then you probably missed the two open world zones which now offer a completely different experience, including flying just like in Anthem.

And while I surely hope that "arrogance of a community" remark was not aimed at me -- not because I care about your opinion, but because it would simply show that you entirely missed my point -- you DO get the experience you claim you can't find anywhere else in Warframe right now.

Have a nice day.
    Xarktardetlar
  • aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387

Aeander said:

Scot said:

Comparing Division 2 to an early access game like Anthem is just punching below the belt. ;)

Anthem still has better/different combat though. The Division is fine, but it's still just a traditional cover shooter. Whereas Anthem is basically what Firefall wanted to be: this insane flying power fantasy. I can't get that anywhere else. I can get just another cover shooter elsewhere.

You also can't get the bugs and bad interface design that Anthem has anywhere else too :P
    Aeander
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    I’m enjoying the game. It’s not just a cover shooter, there are plenty of run & gun opportunities. The game is not a cakewalk and I like it that way ;)

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

Rhygarth said:

Watched a fair few videos/live streams as i was interested in buying this but it just looks so boring

crouch shoot crouch shoot you get the idea

That's what a more realistic shooter is like. Not a Rambo game where you just run in "feeling invincible" with guns blazing mowing down enemies.

Well...you can try of course. :P
    Aeander
  • sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    laserit said:
    I’m enjoying the game. It’s not just a cover shooter, there are plenty of run & gun opportunities. The game is not a cakewalk and I like it that way ;)
    This. I love making mistakes and actually getting punished for it.
    Still having a blast playing the game.

..Cake..

• paul43paul43 Member UncommonPosts: 198
    Division 2 is half the price in my local gamestop store(Gamestop.no), that's pretty brutal, even Anthem is more expensive.
  • BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Aeander said:

Scot said:

Anthem still has better/different combat though. The Division is fine, but it's still just a traditional cover shooter. Whereas Anthem is basically what Firefall wanted to be: this insane flying power fantasy. I can't get that anywhere else. I can get just another cover shooter elsewhere.

I agree Anthem combat is a lot more fun that Division, but Division 2 is overall a better game with more staying power.

Anthem is the game I'll come back to and play for a few hours when they have events and/or patches/new content, while Division I can see as my go-to game for the next few months at least.

The review is spot on - it's just the Division 1, but better in every way, and with all the content and features and systems they added to Division 1 over time but right out of the gate with 2.

Like with Assassin's Creed Origins and Odyssey, I'm just loving wandering the world finding things to do, distracting me from the main missions.

I'm probably 30-35 hours in and level 21 maybe? Completing all objectives and projects all missions etc. in each zone as I progress.

Only game-breaking bug I have seen is with scaling in Multiplayer - if someone in the group is higher level, the rest of the party and the mobs scale to the highest level player.

The damage lower level players do scaled up properly, but there is a bug where their defense does NOT scale up, so lower level players are pretty much one shot by everything. Made it impossible to play with some buddies who started the game Friday (I started Tuesday due to purchasing Gold edition.)

Hope that is fixed very soon.
    gunklacker
  • GameByNightGameByNight Hardware and Technology EditorMMORPG.COM Staff, Member RarePosts: 793
    Hey guys - played some on PC and was having TERRIBLE crashing issues. Like 6 times over about two hours. It was also refusing to go into fullscreen windowed mode. It would *say* it was in that mode hitting the windows key would make the whole screen black out for a second and then turn the game into a slideshow exactly like normal fullscreen, so I don't think it actually changed at all. Hopefully it will be fixed as there were close to 200 people complaining a reddit thread about crashing issues too. I will be including that in the second RIP, though.
    MadFrenchie
    BadSpock said:

Aeander said:

Scot said:

I agree Anthem combat is a lot more fun that Division, but Division 2 is overall a better game with more staying power.

Anthem is the game I'll come back to and play for a few hours when they have events and/or patches/new content, while Division I can see as my go-to game for the next few months at least.

The review is spot on - it's just the Division 1, but better in every way, and with all the content and features and systems they added to Division 1 over time but right out of the gate with 2.

Like with Assassin's Creed Origins and Odyssey, I'm just loving wandering the world finding things to do, distracting me from the main missions.

I'm probably 30-35 hours in and level 21 maybe? Completing all objectives and projects all missions etc. in each zone as I progress.

Only game-breaking bug I have seen is with scaling in Multiplayer - if someone in the group is higher level, the rest of the party and the mobs scale to the highest level player.

The damage lower level players do scaled up properly, but there is a bug where their defense does NOT scale up, so lower level players are pretty much one shot by everything. Made it impossible to play with some buddies who started the game Friday (I started Tuesday due to purchasing Gold edition.)

Hope that is fixed very soon.
    Well, that is your opinion and I won't fault you for it. The Division 2 is doubtless a great game in its own right. 

I want The Division 2 to succeed because it's a great value prospect.

I want Anthem to succeed because I love the gameplay, customization, and science fantasy aesthetic.

I want Warframe to continue succeeding because I genuinely respect DE as a developer. And while I feel that the way the Warframe community treats other communities is distasteful, I have to acknowledge that they are one of the friendliest communities to their own.

The only one I genuinely do not care about is Destiny. And that's because it's a poor value prospect with a high cost of entry and repeated poor business decisions. 

Also, opinions on these games will be shaped by the type of commitment you're looking to make. I am not looking for a main game. I am looking for something to play semi-casually for a long time between my immense backlog of games. Anthem seems to be a nice fit for that (though I wish its weekly/monthly quests took much less daily commitment to complete). 

I would rather have an awesome time for 60 hours than a good time for 200 hours. Just kind of a philosophy I've adopted over the last couple years.
    sgel said:
    laserit said:
    This goes through the roof once you're at end game. 

The daily projects require players to complete regular missions on challenging mode. It's a full return to bullet sponginess with a full group, as well as some of the most aggressive and toughest game play I've experienced in a while. 

Many of the enemies just stream in, and I haven't been able to make it through a challenging mission without several full team wipes.   

Maxing gear score is also pretty interesting right now.  Gear drops stop at 450, but field proficiency caches will drop gear higher than that, but it's completely a luck of the draw thing.  The highest I've seen so far is 459, and I'm at 453.  You only get field proficiency caches by leveling, so it's a lot of work for minuscule upgrades, but it's pretty much a must if you want to make challenging missions aggravating instead of completely frustrating. 

gunklacker

• paul43paul43 Member UncommonPosts: 198

sgel said:

laserit said:

The daily projects require players to complete regular missions on challenging mode. It's a full return to bullet sponginess with a full group, as well as some of the most aggressive and toughest game play I've experienced in a while. 

Many of the enemies just stream in, and I haven't been able to make it through a challenging mission without several full team wipes.   

Maxing gear score is also pretty interesting right now.  Gear drops stop at 450, but field proficiency caches will drop gear higher than that, but it's completely a luck of the draw thing.  The highest I've seen so far is 459, and I'm at 453.  You only get field proficiency caches by leveling, so it's a lot of work for minuscule upgrades, but it's pretty much a must if you want to make challenging missions aggravating instead of completely frustrating. 

You can recalibrate higher too...
    [Deleted User]
    paul43 said:

sgel said:

laserit said:

You can recalibrate higher too...
    Also true. You can recalibrate I think up to nearly 470, but I haven't done it personally. 
    [Deleted User]

edited March 2019

Aeander said:

Aeander said:

Scot said:

this insane flying power fantasy. I can't get that anywhere else.

The Warframe download doesn't work for you?

Not even remotely comparable. If I wanted ground-focused parkour hack and slashery with some shooting, then yes, I'd be playing Warframe right now. But I can't get an experience comparable to a hovering Storm in Warframe. 

And yes, my download works fine. It worked just fine when I gave them my founder's money years ago, and it works just fine now that I've played the game for hundreds of hours.

I'm a fan of Excalibur, Limbo, Hydroid, Oberon, and Loki, by the way. What I am not a fan of, however, is the general arrogance of a community that thinks that their game is the only one that needs to exist in their genre.

Then you probably missed the two open world zones which now offer a completely different experience, including flying just like in Anthem.

And while I surely hope that "arrogance of a community" remark was not aimed at me -- not because I care about your opinion, but because it would simply show that you entirely missed my point -- you DO get the experience you claim you can't find anywhere else in Warframe right now.

Have a nice day.
    I played the open world zones and fucking hate them.

Grinding on Plains of Eidolon actually reduces my desire to play the game. Plains of Eidolon is boring, and it is clear to me that Warframe was intended for parkour-friendly corridors and enclosed spaces, not bland open world maps.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • gunklackergunklacker Member UncommonPosts: 247

sgel said:

laserit said:

You love getting Punished ?
  • Riqqy82Riqqy82 Member UncommonPosts: 91
    Both Anthem and TD2 are garbage because of loot/encounter design which is 90% of the game, one might question if these companies have any business developing games at all, anytime random is put into a video game the outcome is shit and thats facts, its like socialism it will never work as you cant strategize for it. Oh well though this is the way of the future for gaming it seems, lack of depth, surface deep crap -_-, the market is a cesspool.