Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic to Get Some 'Under the Hood' Technical Tuning - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited March 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageStar Wars: The Old Republic to Get Some 'Under the Hood' Technical Tuning - MMORPG.com

Star Wars: The Old Republic is going to be getting some "under the hood" tuning that will bring some big changes to the game. Dynamic Placeable Objects will be overhauled as the team looks to the future for new content. The unnecessarily complicated web of DYNs makes it necessary to change up the system a bit. They will be refined, polished and optimized to make creating DYN packages much quicker yielding faster development of new content.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• BakgrindBakgrind Member UncommonPosts: 423
    Yeah,yeah. The preview window. Sure, that's like the first thing that comes to mind when I think of things that need to be fixed in the game. I like this part though "Imagine your whole Guild meeting up and leaning across the bar, sharing drinks after the latest successful run. While this idea is not a guarantee." Gotta love how they shoot it down with in the next sentence. Still not going to re-sub. And still waiting for that 6.0 news.
    AlomarimmoralthangGorweRemoWilliams
  • immoralthangimmoralthang Member RarePosts: 300
    edited March 2019

Bakgrind said:

Yeah,yeah. The preview window. Sure, that's like the first thing that comes to mind when I think of things that need to be fixed in the game. I like this part though "Imagine your whole Guild meeting up and leaning across the bar, sharing drinks after the latest successful run. While this idea is not a guarantee." Gotta love how they shoot it down with in the next sentence. Still not going to re-sub. And still waiting for that 6.0 news.

The trickle down content since the last expansion also made me cancel my sub after finishing the story. The endgame is completely lacking compared to other games imo.

Post edited by immoralthang on
    SamhaelBakgrind
  • Nhisso13Nhisso13 Member UncommonPosts: 74
    They need to worry about those stale ass animations and why not all force users have the most basic force powers like push, pull, choke/hold and why bounty hunters have to use a pistol because boba fett used one. What a s*** game
  • SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,498

Bakgrind said:

The trickle down content since the last expansion also made me cancel my sub after finishing the story. The endgame is completely lacking compared to other games imo.

The end game has always been lacking.
    RolanStormTuor7
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Trying to make creating content easier just ends up making the game worse than it already is.THis is the exact idea i have already seen doen in many games,the most obvious that comes to mind being EQ2 streamlining stats down to make it easier for them but making the game worse.

SWTOR had way too problems out of the box,it looked like a fast version to market simply hoping to sell it big based off the IP alone.

LINEAR is a terrible idea and SWTOR embraces it big time.Events,nothing happening here.graphics ,very low end very little animation.Combat was terrible,i actually pushed onwards,played every single class to 30+ in hopes of it improving,i felt it got worse at 30.They simply COPIED too many bad ideas from gaming instead of thinking for themselves.

Itemization was awful,reminded me of another game i was playing at the time AOC.I detest hand holding and everything within SWTOR looked and played like a single player game,so they had no clue how to develop a mmo.Classes and combat in general felt very much handcuffed to the point,i did not feel in control of either,i could simply press an auto button to decide combat.Groups of 3 npc's all tied on the same leash is a copied idea and a bad one and like so much of the game ruins immersion to the point it looks FAKE,more like a computer game than a world.
    If i was in charge,i would not accept a single aspect of SWTOR's design,i would scrap the entire game,that is how bad i feel it is designed.
    Bakgrind

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    edited March 2019
    I’m in the process of finishing out class stories, I tend to do one or two a year on a 60d time card.

I did catch upon on the Hutt, KoFE and KoET, but the game to me is essentially single player. The encounters are all nearly identical, the planets and maps linear, and the story doesn’t push any boundaries and plays it safe with the IP. The story lines were decent old Bioware though and worth playing through, but there isn’t a lot of MMO to the game for me. Every time I’ve tried a multiplayer instance I announce that I’m new and don’t know the encounters, and get kicked after we wipe on the first encounter...

On a side note, I’m simultaneously surprised this game gets any attention now that Anthem is out, that after the huge SWTOR release and disaster that EA let Bioware do the same with Anthem, and that everyone who is deriding Anthem now seems to forgt that SWTOR even existed.
  • sarbonnsarbonn Member UncommonPosts: 119
    I used to play this game every day, and I loved it back then. And then I got to endgame content, and discovered there really was no endgame content. I don't care about animations, and I could have lived with the game being what it was, as long as they offered something endgame that was continuously enjoyable. None of that existed, other than playing the same flashpoints (or group missions that were the same each and every time).

The game really needed something going on, and after the main stories, the content (which was always assumed to be its strong point) just got really stale. I honestly didn't care about the whole other empire stuff at all. A lot of it felt really contrived and obvious.

And this is coming from someone who was actually a fan.

The other thing, and this is probably the part I will NEVER forgive, is that Origin could NEVER fix my account. Someone broke into a lot of accounts at one time (on Origin's end) and compromised my account. After I got it back, I could never subscribe again (the only way I could ever play was by buying a game card). I spoke to one customer service person after another, who promised me they would fix it as I had been a subscriber from day one, but they would always either just ignore the ticket from that point forward, or put a one-line response of "can't help" or whatever nonsense. This wouldn't be so bad if so much was not tied into a day one account, but finally I just gave up and never looked back. To ANY game hosted by Origin.
  • immoralthangimmoralthang Member RarePosts: 300

Samhael said:

Bakgrind said:

The end game has always been lacking.

That's why I have played on and off since launch. It really is a shame because I do have a very strong attachment to my Scoundrel. There's just so many other games out there it's hard to justify a subscription, especially since it's been a long time since the last expansion.
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    I miss this game sometimes. Back in the day I had some great fun playing SWTOR.
    Gorwe

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests