Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BioWare's Casey Hudson Acknowledges that the Anthem Launch Was 'Rougher Than Expected' - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited March 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageBioWare's Casey Hudson Acknowledges that the Anthem Launch Was 'Rougher Than Expected' - MMORPG.com

BioWare's General Manager Casey Hudson has written a new blog on the company's site to provide his insight into the post launch of Anthem. "On the one hand, it's been a rougher launch than expected. But then as I think back, we also knew that big new online games tend to hit some kind of problem once they go live," he wrote. He indicates that the team could not "see" the issues until the game was "operating at the scale of millions of players".

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• ShinobeShinobe Member UncommonPosts: 91
    And they still dont get it.

The technical issues where not the biggest problems many people had with Anthem.
    [Deleted User]sumdumguy1FacelessSaviorLastlaughlolAlomarOctagon7711mazutgastovski1JeroKanealkarionlogand 1 other.
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    In the same way that the launch of the Space Shuttle Challenger was rougher than expected. 
    BakgrindSolancerTacticalZombeh
  • BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    He indicates that the team could not "see" the issues until the game was "operating at the scale of millions of players"
    Yea right.
    gunklackerFacelessSaviorOctagon7711TacticalZombehalkarionlog

• Riqqy82Riqqy82 Member UncommonPosts: 91
    i think these companies hire 1 person with a talent, and than a bunch of people who would fit in with monkeys, i wish all these truly talented developers would just merge into one good solid company and produce for all player bases. Directors, financing, and degrees are ruining the world and have now penetrated the only escape us plebs have.

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited March 2019
    "We were, of course, very disappointed about that, as were many of you."

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    I don't remember KOTOR having a rough start.
    FacelessSaviorAlomargastovski1
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• BakgrindBakgrind Member UncommonPosts: 423

Bloodaxes said:

He indicates that the team could not "see" the issues until the game was "operating at the scale of millions of players"
    Yea right.

I guess next time they need to have that beta test further away from the actual launch date.
  • EponyxDamorEponyxDamor Member RarePosts: 749
    I applaud BioWare for acknowledging the game had a rough start, and even moreso for their eagerness to fix the issues. At the end of the day, though, the game still feels very technically buggy. If I could enjoy the game play without the myriad of technical difficulties, it would make a huge difference. I hope these will eventually be fixed, but the number of times I've seen an issue addressed as fixed in the patch notes and then log in to see it still in full effect really disappoints me.
    alkarionlog
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    There was no problem.

It was just people who didn't spend $59.99 to play the game for 100 hrs forcing themselves to ignore the obvious. They all conspired to put bad juju in the air about Anthem and their negative energy broke the game.

Casey Hudson is being mind controlled by people who don't play Anthem. Don't be fooled.
    sumdumguy1momintimFacelessSaviorAlomarRoingastovski1TacticalZombehalkarionlog
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640
    They intentionally released a game they KNEW was broken and unplayable on many machines, but they did it anyway. That is FRAUD period. They should be facing criminal charges. Until publishers are charged, prosecuted, convicted, and sent to prison, for their continued criminal fraud and conspiracies this industry will continue to deteriorate. People should not sit quiet for this, they should be contacted the consumer fraud departments of their state Attorney Generals office and demanding criminal charges be filed against game publishers. It's even deeper its organized crime when a game publishers pays hundreds of streamers to lie about a game to generate inflated sales numbers that makes it a criminal conspiracy and the streamers as well as the publishers need to be sent to prison.
    XarktardRastan1GdemamiLastlaughlolZenJellySolancerJeroKane
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• cmacqcmacq Member UncommonPosts: 331
    psiic said:
    They intentionally released a game they KNEW was broken and unplayable on many machines, but they did it anyway. That is FRAUD period. They should be facing criminal charges. Until publishers are charged, prosecuted, convicted, and sent to prison, for their continued criminal fraud and conspiracies this industry will continue to deteriorate. People should not sit quiet for this, they should be contacted the consumer fraud departments of their state Attorney Generals office and demanding criminal charges be filed against game publishers. It's even deeper its organized crime when a game publishers pays hundreds of streamers to lie about a game to generate inflated sales numbers that makes it a criminal conspiracy and the streamers as well as the publishers need to be sent to prison.
    Wow someone takes this shit way too seriously. You folks remember the dumpster fire that was D3 when it was released? How long did it take to get that squared away? It wasn't really a proper game until ROS, although I realize the masochists loved the old infernal level with zero drops, they are/were a minority by far.
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    So this is what you get when you have a developer known for single player games create one from scratch that is an always online multiplayer game. Now fine there's nothing wrong with branching out and trying new ideas, but EA already has a ton of capable multiplayer developers in their stable, I've no idea why they decided Bioware needed to go this route. I also have to ponder how much more money they spent on Anthem's development, and how much less profit they've made, than they would have if they'd just gone and made another story driven RPG single player game.
    They do have MMORPG experience, I don't think the always online multiplayer has to do with any issues.

This was an interesting read:

https://www.pcgamer.com/anthems-original-story-sounded-amazing-and-much-more-interesting/
    IselinGdemamialkarionlog

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• 3dom3dom Member RarePosts: 889
    edited March 2019
    It would be surprising if launching looter-shooter without loot part wasn't rough. Despite all the effort from the devs people still report ~1 legendary item per 40 hours of post-patch gameplay, one month after release.

It look like the devs never heard of QA testing and / or actually scrapped the game together just couple months before release. Remember how it was still officially in alpha in November/December? Beta-testing normally takes at least six months - yet they've scheduled mid-February release.
    Gdemami

Thank you for your time!

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    One poster got it right in here.

I did not like what i saw BEFORE the game went live,BEFORE any problems were revealed,it looked cheap,lack of depth and effort,it looked like a computer game and nothing more.
    When i jump into a game,i like to feel like i just entered a world and not a computer  screen.
    I don't know what the influence was for the design,but they should stop with that line of thinking lol.

You know what mech robots have for personalities....NOTHING.Just a costume to drop down out of the sky  once in awhile and shoot stuff and if bored of drop zoning and flying over empty space,we have......Dungeons...YAY !!!.
    The design for this game was about as inspiring as watching the neighbour cut the grass.

ZenJellyOctagon7711JeroKane

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    Actually I am quite grateful when my neighbor cuts my grass.
    ZenJellyRoingunklackerOctagon7711TacticalZombehalkarionlog
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • LastlaughlolLastlaughlol Member UncommonPosts: 145
    Who wouldve thought that a game with 10 hr campaign and no end game was gonna be shit?

Stop lying you, just admit you released an unfinished game, and charged full price.
    Octagon7711ScotBakgrind
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    The part that surprised me was when they run the cut scene of getting into the armor, there are zero special effects going on inside.  All you see is a steel wall closing in front of you, with no inside tech.  At least Tony had JARVIS.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Rough as expected, they were told by EA to launch it, gotta keep the shareholders happy.
    ShinobeRenoakuSolancer
  • odysseus033odysseus033 Member UncommonPosts: 30
    This is why you don't have your open beta and stress tests a few weeks before launch.
  • JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

psiic said:

As long as a group of people (players) can be shown to have a positive experience with the product released it is not grounds for fraud. This is not criminal in any way. 

Yes it is, because they pay these youtubers/streamers a lot of money to play and stream the game and give glowing reviews to boost sales.

That's why I don't watch any YouTube game videos anymore, since you can't trust them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2019/03/21/here-are-all-the-new-major-changes-coming-to-anthem-from-cosmetic-chests-to-legendary-missions/amp/#scso=_TYmTXI3XB5HysAXf64z4DA16:0

Here are the upcoming changes. Some pretty nice stuff. Forge loading screens removed. Legendary versions of story missions. Cosmetic rewards from Strongholds. Some gear rebalances. Some quickplay fixes.
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited March 2019
    SBFord said:
    Ah. Thanks for the link. I thought I was being helpful here. 
    SBFord