Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The End of The Culling is at Hand - Servers Going Offline on May 15th - MMORPG.com News

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited March 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageThe End of The Culling is at Hand - Servers Going Offline on May 15th - MMORPG.com News

On May 15th, The Culling will cease to exist. The team let fans and players know via the game's official site in a brief dev diary called "So Long, Farewell!" The reason for the closure, despite the "Origins" F2P launch last year, did not generate enough revenue to "sustain our team and support ongoing development" of the game. Without revenue, staff has been let go and the team has been "render[ed] unable to provide ongoing support and updates that would allow the game to grow & thrive".

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• ElvocElvoc Member RarePosts: 546
    Sadly same story different game, I really think they need to rethink the FTP model for games, just to hard to keep them funded..
    NeonSaru
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    well never heard of it so maybe that is the reason? though i'm not a fan of this kind of games.

btw it does ahve apc version? I only read of xbox version, so maybe that too?
    Beezerbeez
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited March 2019
    Khorrax
  • BlueThunderBearBlueThunderBear Member RarePosts: 228

well never heard of it so maybe that is the reason? though i'm not a fan of this kind of games.

It had a PC version. I played it for a long time when it launched and I can honestly say the devs killed this one. Any change someone demanded on the forums wa implemented one after the other and the game became a disjointed semi-functional and unbalanced mess. They tried to please everyone and paid the price.
    Solancer
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766

It had a PC version. I played it for a long time when it launched and I can honestly say the devs killed this one. Any change someone demanded on the forums wa implemented one after the other and the game became a disjointed semi-functional and unbalanced mess. They tried to please everyone and paid the price.

I played it a long time as well, and it wasn't just because they listened to the community. It was because they would make additional changes (some that people wanted some that they didn't) and then not try to fix it if it didn't work, they would just move onto the next thing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• Ronald88Ronald88 Member UncommonPosts: 56
    I have buyed The Culling on Steam.

I will never again do the same mistake and buy a game from this team before i see some gameplay.

Regards.
  • DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701
    It was a ton of fun when it first came out, but that changed once they started meddling with everything.
  • SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360
    This is why games like this fail. It is a self fulfilling prophecy...

People dont buy games like these because they know they are a cash grap failure that will shutdown soon.

Ergo, they shutdown the game due to lack of players...
    If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347
    Never heard of it.  What is it?
    Beezerbeez
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    I never heard of this game until today. Sorry to see it close.
    Sovrath

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• SabracSabrac Member UncommonPosts: 138
    Too bad, i feel sorry for them but unfortunately they made a lot of mistakes with their games (The Culling 1 and 2) eventually it was going to affect them.

However, i liked the magic game they made, lichdom battlemage (it had its issues but was enjoyable).
  • DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701
    for those who never played.

It was BR before fortnite and pubg. but it was mostly melee combat, if you found a gun with maybe a couple bullets you tried to save it for end battles or if you really need to use it. you crafted alot of your weapons as you ran around the map, and the melee combat was fun it was skill based and you could block attacks. or use a poison blow dart to make their screen go fuzzy and hit them will a wind up attack to do big damage. It had cool items like stun guns or chain saws a bunch of different melee weapons. and you could throw any of your weapons which was alot of fun. you could also lay down traps.

it had alot of good ideas and like i said before it was fun, but they just started changing to many things for the worse and people gave up and quit.
  • SabracSabrac Member UncommonPosts: 138

DrunkWolf said:

for those who never played.

It was BR before fortnite and pubg. but it was mostly melee combat, if you found a gun with maybe a couple bullets you tried to save it for end battles or if you really need to use it. you crafted alot of your weapons as you ran around the map, and the melee combat was fun it was skill based and you could block attacks. or use a poison blow dart to make their screen go fuzzy and hit them will a wind up attack to do big damage. It had cool items like stun guns or chain saws a bunch of different melee weapons. and you could throw any of your weapons which was alot of fun. you could also lay down traps.

it had alot of good ideas and like i said before it was fun, but they just started changing to many things for the worse and people gave up and quit.

It was a good game until they screw up the balance and everything went downhill since then...

I liked the narrator of the game too :D
  • DranmarthDranmarth Member UncommonPosts: 57
    Sucks that they shot themselves in the foot when they tried to do the f2p conversion and wanted it to be "for the players" that supported them when they started, then shit all over those players by not inviting them to their big tournament, instead buying big streamers to take part that wouldn't touch the game unless they were being paid
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I liked how You Tubers would be like "this game studio contacted me but it's not sponsored or anything",then immediately go on to be ecstatic about how great the game is and it's just another soulless BR game.

Besides it looked very dated,just another idea cashing in off of TV ideas.We used to just call it Deathmatch but now devs needed a new catchy genre title so they called it battle Royale.
    Solancer

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    RIP. Can't recall hearing anything about the game, but always sad when a game that people enjoyed dies.

I self identify as a monkey.

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited March 2019

This is why games like this fail. It is a self fulfilling prophecy...
    People dont buy games like these because they know they are a cash grap failure that will shutdown soon.
    Ergo, they shutdown the game due to lack of players...

You are right that the "revenue model" is crucial. Wrong though that "all games like this are cash grabs". Fortnite being the obvious example.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    So:
    Culling: to be closed.
    Culling 2: was a non-starter (closed very, very soon after launch, refunds etc.)
    Lichdom Battlemage: last patch on Steam dated December 2014. Strongly suggesting its mot neen worked on.

That seems to completes the game lineup for Xaviant Games. (No suggestion of any unpublished secret projects!)

So - unless some other studio picks the game up and takes on the devs - I think this is a prelude to Xaviant (essentially) closing down. (Xaviant may continue "in name" only to collect any money that might accrue from Lichdom but I assume we will be wishing the devs good luck in the future.)
  • InteritusInteritus Member UncommonPosts: 236
    I fotgot about this game. it came out around the same time as PUBG and Fortnite. I'm not really surprised it couldn't handle the heat
  • kinkyJalepenokinkyJalepeno Member UncommonPosts: 1,044
    The what? Never heard of it so whatevs.