Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Riders of Icarus - Wow!

ClandestineClandestine Member UncommonPosts: 91
edited March 2019 in Riders of Icarus
As I posted in my rating of this game, why isn't Riders of Icarus more popular than it is? Why has it been virtually undiscovered on this Web site? Riders of Icarus is fun, absolutely gorgeous in every way (the graphics are stunning in my opinion), has lovely music, allows for vertical and horizontal play (because you have flying and running mounts as well as mounted combat), and I haven't run into any bugs yet. There are plenty of quests and the story is interesting. There is good crafting. All of the elements of a great MMORPG are in place but there aren't too many people. I just don't get it. You owe it to yourself to give this game a try.
Post edited by Clandestine on

Comments

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,004
    It's a good game. Just a bit generic. That and Nexon would be my 2 guesses why more people don't play.
    SovrathHatefull

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• Asch126Asch126 Member RarePosts: 543
    Because people consider it a typical generic MMO.

Plus Nexon of course.
    SovrathHatefull
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347
    Now there's something that you don't see every day:  a new thread by a very old account, most of whose posts came in 2003.  Welcome back to the site.

As for the substance of your post, I'll bite.  What makes the game so good?  I've made plenty of posts advocating for other relatively unpopular games (especially Uncharted Waters Online, but also Spiral Knights, A Tale in the Desert, Elsword, and some others), so I'm sympathetic to a claim that some gem is being overlooked.

But you've got to give more information than just "the game is really good".  What makes it so good?  You can have good graphics and music without being a good game, or for that matter, without being a game at all.

Is the combat good?  If so, what makes it good?  What sort of combat is it, anyway?  Tab-target?  First person shooter?  Soft-targeting?  Turn-based?  Something else?  How much does the skill of the player matter, as opposed to the level and gear of the character?

Or is it a game that isn't mostly about combat, so that other features can carry the game?  That's unusual as MMOs go, but if so, what are those other features important enough to not make the game heavy on combat?

How alt-friendly is the game?  How many character slots do you get?  Can characters on an account pass things back and forth?  Do they share a bank?  Share familiars?

How controller-friendly is the game?  I don't care if the game has official controller support; that basically never works right on PC games, anyway.  But I do need for a game not to require lots of fast, analog clicking and to make its controls easily remapped, especially to combinations of buttons.
    GdemamiScot
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    I think, as other posters already mentioned, it was considered "generic" when it came out.

I even think the review on this site considered it "generic" other than flying.

Here is a first impressions in case anyone is interested.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,547
    As they say, one person's garbage is another person's treasure.
    Hatefull

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• ClandestineClandestine Member UncommonPosts: 91
    edited March 2019
    Is it a WoW killer? No. Is it packed with tons of innovative ideas and features? No. But it's better than most of the garbage people are playing today.

The game is 3rd person. The combat is smooth and intuitive. There are a few too many skills in my opinion so that there is some crossover, but it's not a big deal really. The combat uses a combo system which has a twitch element if you want, or an auto combo element that triggers but at a lower effectiveness. There are two combat modes (easily switchable on the fly) - one that's tabbed for healers and support and one that has directional targeting for offensive players.

Combat is made unique from many other games because you can choose to fight mounted on a ground-oriented creature or in the air on a flying mount. There are different skills for mounted and unmounted combat.

Another unique feature is that 2/3 of the monsters in the game can be tamed and made as mounts or pets, from horses to dragons and everything in between. This is very fun and trying to find and tame new beasts gives another interesting element to the game.

The animations are fluid including character walk/run, combat, monsters, and mounted running and walking.

There is occasional momentary lag when moving from "seamless" zone to zone, but it's very minor and not an issue. I have not had a crash since I've been playing and haven't had any issues with quests or with being stuck.

The UI is very customizable and there are lots of intuitive features with the interface and camera.

The difficulty can be whatever you choose. You can follow the main story and enjoy the beautiful graphics and play without worrying about difficulty. You can also fight at places in the world with lots of strong mobs and instanced dungeons that can be done solo with a lot of skill or with a group. There are difficulty levels you can set on instanced dungeons.

The story isn't monumental but it's interesting. It's pretty much the same as other MMOs, but more adequate than most.

Some of these questions I just don't have answers to yet. I can only tell you that I've played dozens of MMOs over the past 15 years - subscription, cash shop, hybrid, and free - and this game stands neck and neck with most of them. It's free to play, so that's a big plus. There's no investment to try it. There is a cash shop with lots of items, but to be honest, I haven't looked at it very much because I haven't needed it. Maybe it's required more in end-game activities, but I can't say.

In short, I think it would be worth checking out for anyone who is looking for something to play but is bored or frustrated with the current offerings.

I installed the game with Steam but it has a stand-alone installer also. I had no installation problems whatsoever.

Lastly, I will tell you that this is the first game in a long time where I have just gone upon a hill and just sat there, admiring the beauty and creative design of the world. I find myself wanting to go visit frequently and sometimes log in if I only have 10 minutes just to get some eye candy. No, that doesn't make a MMORPG by any stretch, but we enjoy games in different ways and I am really enjoying this one. I just don't understand why there aren't many, many more who have found a home in Icarus.
    KyleranCaffynatedHatefullcheeba
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    edited March 2019
    The lack of inventory space unless you buy it killed it for me. And it's also one of those games that give crap to full your inventory quickly to get you to buy more space.
    Kylerank61977HatefullKilraneOctagon7711
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    To be fair....umm yeah heard that somewhere before oh yeah letter kenny.
    Anyhow i can't remember this game,too many games flooding the market but i do remember the name/title so my assumption before i look isth game is simply really bad that i can't even remember it.

Ok so looked and i see why.
    Selling GIMMICKs,number one,when i see flying of ANY kind,i know how people get all giddy and blind sidedd by flying,it tries to steer the attention away from a bad game.What flying does is basically in a nutshell make everyone want to be flying,the entire game becomes about flying and personally i don't like flying,i need a quality game.

FREE,no such thing as free to play,then i see SEVERAL packages to buy, i am not going to decipher them all but well over a $100.I do not like cash shop games at all.

The Dragon idea like this game imo is also a cash grab,a direct ripoff of that movie.Anytime i see a game trying to cash in on TV or movies,i know it is going to be bad.
    Customisation is weak,it is only visual,the LEAST important aspect of customisation.Too few classes 4?

Combat seems mediocre,not too speedy/spammy.Targeting is BAD,don't like that reticule idea at all.You are given a mount right away that i assume eventually flies.

Overall it looks like a typical korean game but without the Asian looking faces.Typical yellow markers over npc heads.
    Action/tab targeting ,well i can't stand fake moves like flying backflips or abilities that send players into the air.Overall it gives me the vibe of a bad korean game.Overall i can assume since it's main attraction is taming and flying,the cash shop is catering to that as well the upgrading system.Don't like what i see,could i change my mind if i actually played it,maybe a bit but some things in game are just a no go like a cash shop and linear questing.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Now that I look into it, the level of alt-friendliness looks pretty terrible.  As best as I can tell, most of what you can buy is per character.  If you want to buy something and have it available on several characters, then you have to buy it several times.
    GdemamiDakeruk61977Scot
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    But it's better than most of the garbage people are playing today.

So you don't actually know what we are playing but you call our games garbage.
    And now you want us to play your game instead.

Thanks for the productive exchange of thoughts.
    Kyleran
    Harbinger of Fools
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882
    It's an average game with worse than average monetization. It could maybe get more audience if it had only one of those problems, but since it has both of those problems it's not worth it.
    Kyleran

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    edited March 2019
    It appears to be a typical theme park style game which I quit playing many years ago.

Aion taught me that I am not good with 3 dimensional aerial combat and taming a horde of mounts isn't much of a draw either.

Finally,  games with agregious cash shops are a no go in my book.
    Hatefull

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Dakeru said:

Sounds like you just want to get butt hurt at something. I was making what's called a generalization in the modern English language and wasn't meant to attack anyone's game. If there was an attack at all, it was against game makers who make subpar games and shove them out the door in an alpha state. The first person who replied to my post wondered why I have been a member since 2003 but don't post anymore. This is why.
    HatefullGdemamicheeba
    edited March 2019
    Dakeru said:

Sounds like you just want to get butt hurt at something. I was making what's called a generalization in the modern English language and wasn't meant to attack anyone's game. If there was an attack at all, it was against game makers who make subpar games and shove them out the door in an alpha state. The first person who replied to my post wondered why I have been a member since 2003 but don't post anymore. This is why.
    Heck, your first post was so general I almost reported you as a hacked account, especially in light of your lack of activity.

Glad to see it is a real person after all, but you need to learn to shrug off things and battle on, it's the forum PVP way.

;)
    DakeruHatefullcheeba

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Wildstar was 'good' and it still died. Just saying...
    Hatefull
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I played it when it first came out.  You can train just about any animal, bird, or mythical beast to be a mount or pet and they did a very good job at that.  The quests are pretty good.  I still go back and play a little from time to time. 

The game got too tedious training mounts and pets to level.  It's pay or real time leveling to advance mounts and pets.  So you have to let the game run all night to get some mounts to your level if you're a high level character.  Space is tight but you can pay for more.  Some mounts can be gotten in the wild, while others can be bought in the cash shop.  It's not a bad game but they try to get every penny out of you or you face a very long grind.
    Kyleran

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,122

Some of these questions I just don't have answers to yet. I can only tell you that I've played dozens of MMOs over the past 15 years - subscription, cash shop, hybrid, and free - and this game stands neck and neck with most of them. It's free to play, so that's a big plus. There's no investment to try it. There is a cash shop with lots of items, but to be honest, I haven't looked at it very much because I haven't needed it. Maybe it's required more in end-game activities, but I can't say.

In short, I think it would be worth checking out for anyone who is looking for something to play but is bored or frustrated with the current offerings.

I installed the game with Steam but it has a stand-alone installer also. I had no installation problems whatsoever.

Lastly, I will tell you that this is the first game in a long time where I have just gone upon a hill and just sat there, admiring the beauty and creative design of the world. I find myself wanting to go visit frequently and sometimes log in if I only have 10 minutes just to get some eye candy. No, that doesn't make a MMORPG by any stretch, but we enjoy games in different ways and I am really enjoying this one. I just don't understand why there aren't many, many more who have found a home in Icarus.
    If you don't know the answers to some basic questions about the game, you don't know enough to declare how wonderful it is. You're enjoying it so far, which is all well and good, but you don't even have the full picture of the game yet yourself.

There is an investment to try it. Download time, hard drive space, and most costly of all the time one would have to invest to adequately draw their own conclusions about the game all have value, which could be spent elsewise.

When I see posters mentioning inventory issues that must be resolved  by spending actual money, and the propensity for those running the game to bleed their players to death or face huge grind times, at endgame I assume, it doesn't sound all that encouraging.

I'm glad you're enjoying it though, and hope that continues as you get further into the game. I especially hope that later on the cash shop doesn't become a need for timely advancement, but instead remains an option you feel little need to explore.
    Dakeru said:

To me it sounds like you can hand out a blow but you can't take one.

You even admitted yourself that you don't have any deeper insights into this game yet.

So if you say encounters like me are the reason you stopped posting here then I will come to the conclusion that you just don't like being challenged, where you need to back up your opinion with a good argument.
    Harbinger of Fools
    Dakeru said:
    Dakeru said:

You even admitted yourself that you don't have any deeper insights into this game yet.

So if you say encounters like me are the reason you stopped posting here then I will come to the conclusion that you just don't like being challenged, where you need to back up your opinion with a good argument.

Again, if there was an attack, it was toward the many game makers who make inferior and unfinished games, and had nothing to do with you. So I wasn't handing out a blow at all. You also made no argument at all.

But this happens constantly in this forum. I should have known better. My bad. Won't happen again.
    Kylerancheeba
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,122
    Dakeru said:
    Dakeru said:

But this happens constantly in this forum. I should have known better. My bad. Won't happen again.
    That sounds like a bit of victim mentality you've got going there. You'll likely find posting in game forums will go better if you drop that perspective and thicken your skin a bit, as I have found few that contain only civil exchanges always presented in the manner the reader prefers.

Regardless, your enthusiasm for the game has been enjoyable to read of, as one mainly sees negative thoughts expressed about all that is wrong with games, both for particular titles and in general. It's good to see someone talking about a game they enjoy such that they encourage others to try it to see if they would be similarly pleased.
  • HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    Dakeru said:
    Dakeru said:

I tend to agree with OP, you seem to be on the lookout to be butthurt. You, as OP also pointed out, made no discussion points either. You just assumed an attack, that was in no way focused on you, and decided to be an ass. Grats! you won the internet. Do you have any other brilliant topics you want to dicsuss? Perhaps next time you could follow your own advice, or and here is a great idea, just move on with your life. Mind-blowing, I know.

More to the point, I put a few hours into Riders and I found it bland and not engaging at all. I don't think it is a horrible game, I just do not think it is a great game either. I have to say I am also not a fan of taming pets, so I might have a skewed impression of a game that is completely geared towards that.
    cheeba

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

Hatefull said:
    Dakeru said:
    Dakeru said:

I tend to agree with OP, you seem to be on the lookout to be butthurt. You, as OP also pointed out, made no discussion points either. You just assumed an attack, that was in no way focused on you, and decided to be an ass. Grats! you won the internet. Do you have any other brilliant topics you want to dicsuss? Perhaps next time you could follow your own advice, or and here is a great idea, just move on with your life. Mind-blowing, I know.

More to the point, I put a few hours into Riders and I found it bland and not engaging at all. I don't think it is a horrible game, I just do not think it is a great game either. I have to say I am also not a fan of taming pets, so I might have a skewed impression of a game that is completely geared towards that.
    You are right.
    My only point is that the OP made no point.

That's why I believe I am doing fine with the  games I am currently playing and won't miss much not giving this particular game a try.

To be honest I cared little about the garbage comment and am surprised you and the OP think I am really offended.
    I highlighted that the OP was using deflecting tactics and that simply never works.
    Kyleran
    Harbinger of Fools
    edited March 2019
    Dakeru said:
    Dakeru said:

Again, if there was an attack, it was toward the many game makers who make inferior and unfinished games, and had nothing to do with you. So I wasn't handing out a blow at all. You also made no argument at all.

Let me help you out.

But it's better than most of the "garbage" people are playing today.

This one word triggered the response and soured an otherwise excellent post. (Hyperbole usually does)

Hey,  I'm 'most' people, not playing RoI, so I'm playing garbage eh, its go time, prepare to throw down, forum PVP is on! ;)

Also, closing posts with passive aggressive slams against "this forum" will invite retaliation; this is "our house' after all, expect folks to not appreciate when others take cheap shots.

Oh yeah, back on topic, sounds like the game has elements you really enjoy,  thanks for sharing the additional details which I found informative and spared me from having to watch a video. (Ugh)

Hope you will at least consider coming back and giving us an update as you get into the later stages of the game.

I'm always curious if games are really as grindy or P2W as many often claim since both terms are very much dependent on a persons individual perceptions. 

At your recommendation, I decided to download the game and have a look.  My first impression was that the art style reminded me of FFXIV.  Which might not be a very good comparison, as it's been years since I've played FFXIV.  The next thing I noticed was that the game loads really slowly.

Once I got into the game, I wanted to check out what was in the item mall to get some gauge of the itemization.  That's apparently disabled during the tutorial.  They don't want you to be able to see what they're selling or to buy anything until after you've played for a while.  That's not a good sign.

Fortunately, the tutorial area was short, so I got through it, and then went to see what was in the item mall.  Apparently you can buy character slots for about $10 each.  You get four by default, and can buy three more.  Thus, a single account can have up to seven slots.

There are eight classes.  I realize that off by one errors are common in computer programming, but still, that's quite a failure.  That means that I'll need two accounts to play.  And so I went back to Stellaris.
  • HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    Dakeru said:
    Hatefull said:
    Dakeru said:
    Dakeru said:

You are right.
    My only point is that the OP made no point.

That's why I believe I am doing fine with the  games I am currently playing and won't miss much not giving this particular game a try.

To be honest I cared little about the garbage comment and am surprised you and the OP think I am really offended.
    I highlighted that the OP was using deflecting tactics and that simply never works.
    Well, words mean things. So if you want to not be perceived as offended perhaps rearrange them. I dunno, either way, you said it, it got kicked back to you and you felt the need to defend. I simply stated my observation and recommended (albeit harshly) ideas to reduce confusion in future. Take it or leave it.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.