Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Google expected to announce "Yeti" streaming gaming service Tuesday

Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/03/17/google-yeti-gaming-announcement-expectations.html

I am kind of in the "Show Me" state for these streaming services.  They will have to demonstrate that they can make such a system work, with very low latency, to a mass market.  They (and Amazon... Microsoft... Apple...) have plenty of cash to throw at a solution, but they can only control the front end.  Until we have widespread fiber adoption, I am skeptical it can reach a critical mass.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Comments

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited March 2019
    'More' competition is 'better,' right?!?!

The weirdest thing about all of this is that Google owns Youtube and Youtube has its own streaming thing.....Its like why compete with yourself when you're already losing? Its almost like Amazon coming out and saying they want a new streaming platform when they own Twitch.
    SlyLoK
  • ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    Albatroes said:

The weirdest thing about all of this is that Google owns Youtube and Youtube has its own streaming thing.....Its like why compete with yourself when you're already losing? Its almost like Amazon coming out and saying they want a new streaming platform when they own Twitch.
    Wrong kind of game streaming. 
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    Albatroes said:

Wrong kind of game streaming. 
    I was going to say something... but figured maybe Youtube had announced some gaming service :)

ChildoftheShadows

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    I'm in a similar boat with "show me". I actually LOVE the concept, but with latency the way it is it's going to be a while before it's really doable for most people. I would love to be able to own a chromebook or a tablet and nothing else and still get everything I want to do done including play games. Input systems being the other challenge, but as long as I can use a keyboard and mouse I'm happy.
  • sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    edited March 2019
    I beta-tested streaming Assassin's Creed Odyssey and it actually ran quite smoothly, even with music streaming from online radio at the same time.  Who knows if that will continue to be the case or will be the case with other providers or on older computers than mine, but it seemed like an adequate proof of concept.
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    edited March 2019
    All the cloud computing corporations have doubled down on stuff like this, so even if the latency isn't ready for the competitive market it's a great thing. The tech alone means a lot beyond gaming.
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    I beta-tested streaming Assassin's Creed Odyssey and it actually ran quite smoothly, even with music streaming from online radio at the same time.  Who knows if that will continue to be the case or will be the case with other providers or on older computers than mine, but it seemed like an adequate proof of concept.
    Yeah I played Odyssey for about 30 hours through project stream and it ran better than I thought it would. Very impressed with how far the tech has come. Google is on the right track and shows what the future holds. Plus they gave us a copy of Odyssey on PC to keep after the test so that was nice =)
    I think it's really dependant on what the user connection looks like.

I recently had AT&T dig up all the yards (doing a shitty ass job) in my complex to install fiber.  Even though we have Comcast included through our Homeowners I was excited...

I waited for weeks... and then excitedly open an envelope from AT&T announcing fiber is available!   At speeds of 100mb...   

WTF... I have 150 on Comcast now without fiber.

In my house, we have 3 kids that are always on their computers, ipads, whatever... plus me.  I'm not sure streaming gaming would work for me until I get true 1GB fiber.  I am certainly willing to give it a shot, but I just feel that while their tech may be ready, the rest of us aren't all there yet.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Yeah I played Odyssey for about 30 hours through project stream and it ran better than I thought it would. Very impressed with how far the tech has come. Google is on the right track and shows what the future holds. Plus they gave us a copy of Odyssey on PC to keep after the test so that was nice =)

I recently had AT&T dig up all the yards (doing a shitty ass job) in my complex to install fiber.  Even though we have Comcast included through our Homeowners I was excited...

I waited for weeks... and then excitedly open an envelope from AT&T announcing fiber is available!   At speeds of 100mb...   

In my house, we have 3 kids that are always on their computers, ipads, whatever... plus me.  I'm not sure streaming gaming would work for me until I get true 1GB fiber.  I am certainly willing to give it a shot, but I just feel that while their tech may be ready, the rest of us aren't all there yet.

Oh agreed. Connection speed is really behind many places in the world in the US. I have GB fiber and live in a tech area right down the road from Ubisoft, Insomniac and Epic. Our internet is really fast and I am sure that contributed to my experience. Yet it does show what the future holds. 
    I wish we could get GB internet in our area. It really sucks that certain companies can just "own" an area and not allow competition in. I either can get Comcast or crappy DSL. I have 400 down Comcast which seems to work okay for streaming games (at least on the google and PS4 streaming) but I would love to try it on a faster connection. 
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

Oh agreed. Connection speed is really behind many places in the world in the US. I have GB fiber and live in a tech area right down the road from Ubisoft, Insomniac and Epic. Our internet is really fast and I am sure that contributed to my experience. Yet it does show what the future holds. 
    Heck, I live 3.5 miles from the Boston Capital, a major city, and my area doesn't have high speed "fios" or whatever it is.

Only way to get fast internet is Cable and I'm always on the fence for that as I just don't want to commit to two years of cable.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo