Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fly Through 20 Years of EverQuest - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited March 2019 in Videos Discussion

imageFly Through 20 Years of EverQuest - MMORPG.com

The EverQuest team has put together an epic celebratory video showcasing the game's history. It's not often in gaming that we celebrate longevity, but this weekend, Daybreak Games has done so in style. What are your favorite EQ memories? Let us know!

Read the full story here

Comments

• foppoteefoppotee Member UncommonPosts: 508
    I was considering purchasing buying one of those anniversary packs & playing on that Selo server I had read about for nostaglia reasons & since I cannot currently find my old account information but I read where not all the races & classes combinations are unlocked so that is disappointing. Oh well, those that still play it I hope enjoy the festivities.
  • DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701
    I never played EQ I was a asherons call player back then, but its nice to see one of the old ones still going. Imagine Devs from back then with their passion to make a great game with todays tech.
  • InteritusInteritus Member UncommonPosts: 236
    TRAIN TO ZONE!
    foppoteeHluill
  • AalamrAalamr Member UncommonPosts: 98
    I decided to give in to temptation and resub to play on Selo since its casual and the only regret I have is getting sucked back in. I would recommend any EQ vet considering trying it to give it a shot. I want to recommend it to people who have never played EQ before but the lack of any tutorisl and dated mechanics would probably turn you away.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited March 2019
    1999 great year,i chose to spend years playing Unreal Tournament even though i had several people bugging me to play EQ.I think was around 2003 when i finally tried EQ,didn't like it,didn't look good enough to warrant me getting into a mmorpg,long term commitment.

I did enjoy other single player rpg's but i knew a MMO meant day after day ,basically forcing myself to play the same game just because i am paying for it.Instead with UnrealT a one time purchase,i could play whenever i wanted no commitments,could move to other games like Quake for a week or two.

Years later i did get into EQ2,i thought it looked a lot better,just all around a better game albeit the design wasn't as good as FFXI or EQ1.For years FFXI was my go to game,imo the best overall rounded game design but i always wanted bits and pieces of EQ2 in my game as well.

IMO EQ1 was like the introduction to the movie,this is what we are capable of doing with mmorpg's,taking these shallow single player rpg's and turning them into something you play with other people.So it was a very good introduction to mmorpg gaming.However at least for myself,that was not yet good enough,it wasn't until FFXi that i thought mmorpg's were good enough to finally get into full time dedication.
    Now the depresing part,since the days of EQ1...FFXI...EQ2 th genre has not done a single thing to bring more immersion,more depth,realism to the genre,instead cheaper,hand holding,linear non rpg ideas and just all around WORSE designs.

I had from 2003 to 2019 to wait for a new and better mmorpg,it never arrived,16 years of crappy mmorpg designs,so i gave up and went and played Atlas.This right here is typical of the industry right now,instead of putting some work/effort into your game,you just use advertising gimmicks to sell it.
    QuarterStack

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    DBG has not done  single thing to tell me they really are into the EQ franchise or gaming in general.The effort they have put into gaming since taking over has been downright pathetic.
    My gut feeling is they are going to continue doing very little in hopes the ycan break even on their purchase then sell it off if even possible.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    Wizardry said:
    DBG has not done  single thing to tell me they really are into the EQ franchise or gaming in general.The effort they have put into gaming since taking over has been downright pathetic.
    My gut feeling is they are going to continue doing very little in hopes the ycan break even on their purchase then sell it off if even possible.
    People that actually play games would disagree with you. Well, any sane person would gamer not required.

More to the point, PS2 has gotten pretty consistent updates. I imagine that is their focus. They are also working on a new title, so as usual, you have no idea what is going on.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• KnaveSkyeKnaveSkye Member UncommonPosts: 137

Hatefull said:

Wizardry said:

People that actually play games would disagree with you. Well, any sane person would gamer not required.

More to the point, PS2 has gotten pretty consistent updates. I imagine that is their focus. They are also working on a new title, so as usual, you have no idea what is going on.

My guess is anyone who was looking forward to EQ Next is kinda sour on DB in general.
  • TeakStrangiatoTeakStrangiato Member UncommonPosts: 34

KnaveSkye said:

Hatefull said:

Wizardry said:

My guess is anyone who was looking forward to EQ Next is kinda sour on DB in general.

Given how awful Landmark was from a technical perspective EQ Next was never a reality.

I would love a game actually in the spirit of EQ1, unlike EQ2 or EQN (though I do think EQ2 is solid). Id even be interested in a modernized EQOA for PS4.
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059

foppotee said:

I was considering purchasing buying one of those anniversary packs & playing on that Selo server I had read about for nostaglia reasons & since I cannot currently find my old account information but I read where not all the races & classes combinations are unlocked so that is disappointing. Oh well, those that still play it I hope enjoy the festivities.

Selo starts with everything up to Luclin, so it will only have races, classes, and combos that were available at that time for now. New expansions unlock every month and the combos and features from those expansions will be available then.