Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Endgame: Anthem Vs Division 2?

FuryVFuryV Member UncommonPosts: 515
*TLDR below*

First off, I should say that I know Anthem & Division 2 aren't technically 'MMORPGs' but I figured this was a good place to ask this question as you'll all be aware of gearing up your characters in the games that you play and may be able to relate.

Anyway... I've been away from MMOs for a good while now and as there's currently not any Triple A MMOs having been released, I'm resorting to the next best thing for me, which is either Anthem or The Division 2. My issue is that I've no idea which to choose out of the two. Both of the games appeal to me and I'll most likely find the gameplay just as fun in either. What I'm really looking for is something which has a good endgame. I used to play Destiny 2 and once I'd geared up and completed the story, there wasn't really much left to do except for playing just for the sake of it. In these kind of games I tend to get my gaming gratification from constantly being able to increase the power of my character, whether it be from gear, abilities, or a mixture of both.

I've noticed that there's been a lot of bad reviews about Anthem, but I'm not sure whether to read too much into them as I figure Bioware & EA are both huge developers/publishers and will make changes if & when they feel it is necessary. I also heard that Anthem have a 10 year plan ahead of them, so there should be a decent amount of updates and DLC in the future to keep me busy. I guess the same goes for Divison 2 as well really.

Do either of these games have a gear treadmill, meaning I'll always be able to upgrade my character's gear and/or abilities, or will it stop at some point once I reach a certain gear level? I used to love playing WoW due to their gear treadmill, and perhaps I'm in the minority but that kind of gameplay really appeals to me and keeps me coming back for me, knowing that there's always something else out there for me to work towards.
Thanks.

*TLDR: Which has a better endgame out of Anthem & Division 2?*

Comments

• EponyxDamorEponyxDamor Member RarePosts: 749
    edited March 2019
    Divison 2 has the better progression system hands down. From general character progression (via skills/talents) to actual build variety that includes gear w/ game play changing effects rather than just generic stat-boosting.

Basically, Anthem's endgame revolves around just increasing damage done (via +DMG% inscriptions) and HP (via +Armor/Shield inscriptions) to defeat enemies that have similar scaling at higher difficulties (mega bullet sponges at GM2/3). Your game play style will generally never change within the same Javelin from 1 to 30 -- you pick two abilities/weapons and generally try to get as much +DMG% to those skills/weapons as possible. Furthermore, the end game loop at level 30 simply revolves around getting "god roll" inscriptions with as much +DMG or +Shield/Armor as possible.

Divisions 2's endgame revolves around selecting specific perks/talents, finding gear that complements said build, and then building/finding mods that further tweak game play styles. Your play style evolves as your gear changes; the way you play the game at level 1 will not be the same as level 30 -- similarly, at level 30, you will gradually tweak your play style as your gear build changes.

(EDIT: Also, if trying to decide between the two, understand that Anthem's combat is more ability-spam focused until GM2 -- where abilities' damage scaling falls off compared to weapons -- and shifts more to gun play which has an advantage due to damage scaling calculations. Unfortunately, Anthem's core gun play is not as well-rounded as the Division's, and it leaves an odd disconnect when transitioning to GM2+ endgame. The Division focuses more on gun play in general with abilities that effect your role in co-op game play. Personally, I find Anthem's combat to be more enjoyable pre-GM2 than the Division 2, but I find the Division 2 to be more consistent throughout.)
    bartoni33
  • HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    FuryV said:
    *TLDR below*

First off, I should say that I know Anthem & Division 2 aren't technically 'MMORPGs' but I figured this was a good place to ask this question as you'll all be aware of gearing up your characters in the games that you play and may be able to relate.

Anyway... I've been away from MMOs for a good while now and as there's currently not any Triple A MMOs having been released, I'm resorting to the next best thing for me, which is either Anthem or The Division 2. My issue is that I've no idea which to choose out of the two. Both of the games appeal to me and I'll most likely find the gameplay just as fun in either. What I'm really looking for is something which has a good endgame. I used to play Destiny 2 and once I'd geared up and completed the story, there wasn't really much left to do except for playing just for the sake of it. In these kind of games I tend to get my gaming gratification from constantly being able to increase the power of my character, whether it be from gear, abilities, or a mixture of both.

I've noticed that there's been a lot of bad reviews about Anthem, but I'm not sure whether to read too much into them as I figure Bioware & EA are both huge developers/publishers and will make changes if & when they feel it is necessary. I also heard that Anthem have a 10 year plan ahead of them, so there should be a decent amount of updates and DLC in the future to keep me busy. I guess the same goes for Divison 2 as well really.

Do either of these games have a gear treadmill, meaning I'll always be able to upgrade my character's gear and/or abilities, or will it stop at some point once I reach a certain gear level? I used to love playing WoW due to their gear treadmill, and perhaps I'm in the minority but that kind of gameplay really appeals to me and keeps me coming back for me, knowing that there's always something else out there for me to work towards.
    Thanks.

*TLDR: Which has a better endgame out of Anthem & Division 2?*

From a huge Anthem fan, Play Division 2. I do not have many hours in Div 2, but I can tell you it is far better thought out, far better implemented, and you will get a lot more enjoyment out of it.

Again, I loved Anthem, I was running GM 3 when I finally had enough and every update just makes it worse. Huge letdown. I enjoy Division 2 as much as I did Anthem, and I can already see the end game will be far more engaging. At least it won't be loading screen death.
    bartoni33EponyxDamorlaseritPanther2103

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044
    At this moment Div2 is more fleshed out.

BTW you can get Anthem for "free" by subscribing to Origin Premier for $14.99 a month. Look at it as a monthlong demo if you will.
    Ginaz

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• EponyxDamorEponyxDamor Member RarePosts: 749
    Also, would like to mention that by the time you have gear good enough to do GM 2/3 in Anthem, there is no reason to run GM 2/3 in Anthem; this is mostly due to the way that inscription rolls work, in that in order to even attempt GM 2/3 you already need to have fairly "great" rolls. Outside of a few gimmick builds that involve cheezing bugged weapon/component perks this is what GM 2 looks like (in general) for someone who has already gotten to the point where GM 1 is a total breeze.

The difference in enemy HP/scaling from GM 1->2 is absolutely stupid; elite, legendary, and boss enemies in theses difficulties have HP so high that it can easily take 3-5 minutes of a full group wailing on them (while they mostly remain incapable of movement due to freeze procs) in order to take them down.

Honestly, GM 2/3 may be more "rewarding" in terms of the quantity of loot drops, but its seriously *not* fun in the least; especially since you're already pretty much "done" with loot at that point anyways. It completely removes any challenge from the game, as you either freeze an enemy indefinitely while slowly whittling it to death or try desperately to not get one-shot due to poor cover mechanics/hit box detection.
    Hatefull
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    You know the main differences between old gaming and modern gaming>>carrots on a stick.

I played for example the first COD because it was challenging and FUN to play.Now a days these games have these looting ideas and gear treadmills and cash shops,nobody is playing for the pure FUN value.
    Then i hear NONSENSE like what game has the best END GAME.AN immersive experience should have NOTHING to do with any end game,the term should not even exist.You want longevity then simply give players new exciting maps to challenge or fight each other.
    geesh i played COD,i was happy with but a few maps i could play over and over and pvp within,i never once thought i needed any interlude buying new gear or upgrades with currency or running for red/green lights over some loot drop.

It tells me these games now are just bad,like real bad,if people can't find enjoyment without the loot or cash shops,then these games are not worth playing.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,455
    Wizardry said:
    You know the main differences between old gaming and modern gaming>>carrots on a stick.

I played for example the first COD because it was challenging and FUN to play.Now a days these games have these looting ideas and gear treadmills and cash shops,nobody is playing for the pure FUN value.
    Then i hear NONSENSE like what game has the best END GAME.AN immersive experience should have NOTHING to do with any end game,the term should not even exist.You want longevity then simply give players new exciting maps to challenge or fight each other.
    geesh i played COD,i was happy with but a few maps i could play over and over and pvp within,i never once thought i needed any interlude buying new gear or upgrades with currency or running for red/green lights over some loot drop.

It tells me these games now are just bad,like real bad,if people can't find enjoyment without the loot or cash shops,then these games are not worth playing.
    Serious question, do actually like or play ANY games these days or is your favourite game just complaining about them?
    bartoni33BabuinixEponyxDamorHatefull[Deleted User]

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited March 2019
    First off- I didn't even post this here.  Not sure how you quoted it into this thread..

Secondly, my post history regarding Anthem speaks for itself, and the story it tells isn't one of hate or personal vendetta.  It's an objective (well, as objective as personal opinion on a product can attempt to be) look at what Bioware got right, and what they got wrong.
    Post edited by Vaross on
    Hatefull

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    Wizardry said:

Good, then will you please stop posting on this GAME site since you obviously have no interest in games?

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.