Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Animated Diablo Netflix Series Trademark Confirms That It's Still a Thing - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited March 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageAnimated Diablo Netflix Series Trademark Confirms That It's Still a Thing - MMORPG.com

In September of last year, Andy Cosby (Hellboy animated series) inadvertently leaked news of a Diablo animated series for Netflix for which he would be the showrunner. Since then, there has been tons of Diablo-related news, but nothing more has been said about the series. However, a new Diablo trademark registration has popped up that reads, "Downloadable films and movies featuring narratives based on a video game and provided via a video-on-demand service".

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    OK, I guess. I dunno....doesn't do much for me, though I'd probably watch it since it's part of my subscription anyway.

I want Diablo 4.....NOT playable on mobile. :P
    NoxiousBassmklinicIncomparableSlapshot1188MadFrenchie[Deleted User]Xarkoceh430[Deleted User]

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967

Netflix will produce anything at this point. Not that a Diablo animated series is bad but you have to go through 20 shitty shows on there to find something decent or could even be more at this point.

You say this as if it's a new thing. Or something isolated to Netflix. "At this point". At what point EVER was Netflix not the place to see every bad TV show/movie your heart desires? The only thing different is the actual great material it has NOW in between.

Where is this other magically curated platform where there's nothing but Emmy/Oscar worthy content? Please share. LOL
    [Deleted User]esc-joconnor
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited March 2019
    MANY Diablo projects in the works guys!!!! MANY!!!! image
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited March 2019
    I liked the Warcraft movie,sure a lot was missing but no way can you put an entire game series into one movie.It was done professionally,imo done well.

However the last couple years,everything Blizzard does has been bottom dumpster,like as little effort as they can muster,as cheap as they can muster.Point being..."animated"pfft i am not interested in watching that at all,like you couldn't pay me and even if was the only thing on TV for 3 months,notta ZERO interest.

Now if Blizzard wanted to get out of the dumpster and do something right for a change,put some effort into a real movie,REAL actors and not some cartoon,then  yes i would watch it.

IMO Blizzard is done like dinner,it seems they have gone down the road of CHEAP ,real cheap and it will continue to cost them until they ruin their entire enterprise.
    SlyLoK

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• calibekcalibek Member UncommonPosts: 300
    I'd watch it. If it is done in the style of the Castlevania series on Netflix and if it is anything like the demon hunter trailer from before Diablo 3 came out I could see it being good.
    SBFordThuplik61977

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Gaming is like cooking,you use cheap ingredients,you get cheap results.You can only fake it for so long,garnish terrible food so many ways,it still comes down to the taste and using cheap ingredients means it will taste foul and people will stop coming to your restaurante..ahem i mean baita shoppa.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    So much stuff gets pitched. And most don't see the light of day. This just took place for example:

https://seriesmania.com/en/industry/co-pro-pitching-sessions

16 projects selected from nearly 400 being pitched to multiple media producers etc. And every single one will have had serious work done on them.

And when it comes to films they can take over a decade to get made - the Warcraft film was not an exception!

So news that x is being considered / worked - all true I am sure but: such work often doesn't mean that x will finally be green lit; even then it might not get further then pre-production and even if it does get made it might not get extended past a handful of episodes.
  • jarsku85jarsku85 Member UncommonPosts: 84

SBFord said:

OK, I guess. I dunno....doesn't do much for me, though I'd probably watch it since it's part of my subscription anyway.

Well Torchlight Frontiers highly likely gonna be #1 ARPG for decade.
    BlueThunderBearSlyLoK
  • SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360
    Not sure how I feel about this. I think it will not be up to the Diablo fans standards...
    If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,498

SBFord said:

I guess you could watch this on your phones. You have one, right?
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    If they do an animated series like Love, Death & Robots I'd watch.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309
    I really loved the Hellboy animated stuff. Am still sad that there wasn't more.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• MachkeznhoMachkeznho Member UncommonPosts: 424
    Coming to a mobile phone near you, Diablo the animated series. Watch as epic demons fight the generic watered down copy pasted heroes while your on the toilet tempting you to forgo wiping just so you have a sense of actual danger.

Im sorry I used to be a fanboy of blizz but I cant anymore, I refuse to support them out of pure principal for crapping on their fans and selling out to the Chinese mobile market.
  • MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    took way to long for the can I watch it on my phone comments
  • ghdsportsghdsports Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    There's nothing wrong in it since netflix is the only legit and better streaming platform. I wish they come to live sports streaming industry too. Till then, I will be using ghd sports live cricket t20 app for all my requirements.
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    Hmm, not a fan of animated stuff. Prefer real acting but will wait for reviews.
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Hmm, not a fan of animated stuff. Prefer real acting but will wait for reviews.
    I generally feel the same way but I gave the Netflix animated series I mentioned above, Love Death & Robots, a chance this weekend and really enjoyed it. They're a series of short 12 minute episodes, very Black Mirror like in content. There are a couple in there definitely NSFW but not all.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503

Wizardry said:

I liked the Warcraft movie,sure a lot was missing but no way can you put an entire game series into one movie.It was done professionally,imo done well.

However the last couple years,everything Blizzard does has been bottom dumpster,like as little effort as they can muster,as cheap as they can muster.Point being..."animated"pfft i am not interested in watching that at all,like you couldn't pay me and even if was the only thing on TV for 3 months,notta ZERO interest.

Now if Blizzard wanted to get out of the dumpster and do something right for a change,put some effort into a real movie,REAL actors and not some cartoon,then  yes i would watch it.

IMO Blizzard is done like dinner,it seems they have gone down the road of CHEAP ,real cheap and it will continue to cost them until they ruin their entire enterprise.

I am the exact opposite of you. I would hate to see a live action project in this because they would never be willing to spend the real money to make it. I hated the way the warcraft movie looked myself. It was extremely easy to tell what was CGI an real. It would have been better off as a full CGI IMO.

A big difference most likely is I still enjoy cartoons and anime even though I am old and you most likely don't. I think a well done cartoon version would be hands better than anything live action. Hell a full CGI done by the original blizzard team from years ago would be great.
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209

Wizardry said:

Gaming is like cooking,you use cheap ingredients,you get cheap results.You can only fake it for so long,garnish terrible food so many ways,it still comes down to the taste and using cheap ingredients means it will taste foul and people will stop coming to your restaurante..ahem i mean baita shoppa.

All the best meals I've ever had in my life used cheap ingredients. The majority of the worlds population can't afford or even find "high quality" ingredients.
  • Mr.GutsyMr.Gutsy Member UncommonPosts: 87

Wizardry said:

They should have discarded the live action aspect from the movie. Would have made it a better movie.
  • Poison_GirlPoison_Girl Member UncommonPosts: 34
    So many questions here...
  • esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,097

Netflix will produce anything at this point. Not that a Diablo animated series is bad but you have to go through 20 shitty shows on there to find something decent or could even be more at this point.

You say this as if it's a new thing. Or something isolated to Netflix. "At this point". At what point EVER was Netflix not the place to see every bad TV show/movie your heart desires? The only thing different is the actual great material it has NOW in between.

Where is this other magically curated platform where there's nothing but Emmy/Oscar worthy content? Please share. LOL

Exactly! And I'll take a pass on an emmy/oscar only service. Boring.

I'll take another batch of Love Death and Robots over Diablo please!