Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Death of a Game: Wildstar

gunklackergunklacker Member UncommonPosts: 247

read Sam Noone comments, it was quiet informative..
JamesGoblinGdemamiAlverant

Comments

• AparitionAparition Member UncommonPosts: 91
    it was dead a month after launch, no news here
    AzzrasHarikenHatefullsumdumguy1jimmywolf

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    edited March 2019
    I prefer to read rather than listen, that is quicker and my time on this site is limited as I am sure it is for you all.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    It was as is 99% of the games that are flooding the market.
    Everyone seems they think they  are developers now.This game as even Trion's Rift was just a corner cutting budget game.I can't go back as far as Wow because although i feel a weak design,it was nearly as robust as other top end rpg's.It started i assume after Wow's success,the market saw there was actually a lot of money to be made there.

Sadly the majority only understand single player game design and couldn't make a proper mmo if their life depended on it.WS is one of those games,the typical linear/hand holding markers,single player design.

Now the problem i saw with the game and this argues a point i often hear as being a plus is the graphics were bad.Everytime someone wants to defend THEIR supposed beloved game,they say  stuff like "i like the art style".Well their ignorance on game design just shines through,nobody is saying an art style cannot be good looking,to each their own right,but what i say when i say  it looks bad,i mean it looks bad,i am not talking about art style.

My reasoning at the time was that players enjoy their character,they enjoy the looks of their armor/gear,their house,people are just into making things look nice even if they argue with themselves about not caring about looks.In this case ...WS,the graphics and art style lead to the ideas people love looking bad,how can enjoy what you wear or what you build ,if it looks bad?
    This follows th same problem i have with all these Baldur's gate looking games,yoru character and objects are so puny,you can barely make out any detail at all.
    Know what else crappy low end graphics do,they let the dev off the hook for optimisation,,you don't need to optimise low poly maps/objects and supports their ancient game engines.

I also have to wonder why WS decided to copy FFXIV's combat red carpet idea,that made no sense at all,just more hand holding crap.
    Thanesumdumguy1Maddog666deniter

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• rounnerrounner Member UncommonPosts: 725
    I'd agree with the basic points in the video.

I didn't mind it but the basic mechanics were too old fashioned. Being made by ex wow employees isn't really a thing to brag about, it felt like the game was held back by this. Other games like rift, tera, gw2, swtor, eso were all contemporaries and trying different things. I preferred them all except perhaps tera because I hated the combat rooting thing. I didn't hate wildstars red carpet combat but like the video said it did not suit pvp at all.

• gunklackergunklacker Member UncommonPosts: 247
    My mistake, i should of just pasted the comments from Sam Noone, i didnt even watch the whole video , the comments from an insider was interesting 
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    Had so much hope for this game. The class videos leading up to it were more fun to watch than the game was to play, sadly. 
    Azzras[Deleted User]Alverant
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    DMKano said:
    "Things were done wrong, leads and management were clueless" - story of every failed MMO.

You have become extremely bitter. 
    sumdumguy1
  • HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    DMKano said:
    "Things were done wrong, leads and management were clueless" - story of every failed MMO.

I have seen many "great ideas" try to become business and a lot of them did not have a clue how to navigate the murky waters of business. Know your people and employ them in accordance with their capabilities. Being a leader isn't about making people happy, it's about doing what is best for the whole. Not always a fun job.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    "You all are just hating. Wildstar wasn't that bad. It's just cool to hate on games" -Weenie
    sumdumguy1
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    edited March 2019
    Wizardry said:
    Everyone seems they think they  are developers now.This game as even Trion's Rift was just a corner cutting budget game.I can't go back as far as Wow because although i feel a weak design,it was nearly as robust as other top end rpg's.It started i assume after Wow's success,the market saw there was actually a lot of money to be made there.

Sadly the majority only understand single player game design and couldn't make a proper mmo if their life depended on it.WS is one of those games,the typical linear/hand holding markers,single player design.

Now the problem i saw with the game and this argues a point i often hear as being a plus is the graphics were bad.Everytime someone wants to defend THEIR supposed beloved game,they say  stuff like "i like the art style".Well their ignorance on game design just shines through,nobody is saying an art style cannot be good looking,to each their own right,but what i say when i say  it looks bad,i mean it looks bad,i am not talking about art style.

My reasoning at the time was that players enjoy their character,they enjoy the looks of their armor/gear,their house,people are just into making things look nice even if they argue with themselves about not caring about looks.In this case ...WS,the graphics and art style lead to the ideas people love looking bad,how can enjoy what you wear or what you build ,if it looks bad?
    This follows th same problem i have with all these Baldur's gate looking games,yoru character and objects are so puny,you can barely make out any detail at all.
    Know what else crappy low end graphics do,they let the dev off the hook for optimisation,,you don't need to optimise low poly maps/objects and supports their ancient game engines.

I also have to wonder why WS decided to copy FFXIV's combat red carpet idea,that made no sense at all,just more hand holding crap.

the combat was the best part about this game, not the normal mmo tab and forget shit.

the problem they had was simple: basic misconceptions in creating the system.
    they burried themselves with the matrix, otherwise this game would have had a chance with it's f2p, a real one.

and if you think the gfx were bad, you must be kidding. at least i hope so.

the guys came from blizz, they surely knew what they were doing, you on the other hand, seem to have played a game that was never meant for you.

PS: just watched FFXIC combat vid, and that thing is tab target. so what the hell are you talking about?
    sumdumguy1

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    DMKano said:

Let the man grieve Trion falling apart in peace.

Everything he's come to know and understand has fallen apart. He's still adjusting.

sumdumguy1
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    DMKano said:

Let the man grieve Trion falling apart in peace.

Everything he's come to know and understand has fallen apart. He's still adjusting.

Lol well then do it “ in peace” 
  • gunklackergunklacker Member UncommonPosts: 247
    DMKano said:

DMKano opinion and post are one of the ones i respect and read the most, if you dont agree with his post, post a counter opinion, not just saying your bitter.....
  • sacredcow4sacredcow4 Member UncommonPosts: 249
    People are missing the real reason the game died. There was no "time" for social bonding. WoW had a LOT of downtime. Flightpaths, drinking water for mana, long runs between action, ect.

Wildstar was a non-stop sprint and you felt like you were missing out/being ineffective if you weren't jumping from POI to POI. If you took the time to whisper you would die in combat. You completed quests with lightning speed and everything was linear, meaning when you did encounter another player it would be inefficient to group up as the odds of you being on the same part of a quest hub were virtually nil and it was always more efficient to just do it solo instead of trying to communicate with someone. 

They "out designed" themselves and gave players what they were claiming they wanted without realizing the consequences.
    PalebanedeniterAlverant
     I've been here a while...
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395
    DMKano said:

The story of many successful ones as well.
    Hatefull

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    Thane said:
    Wizardry said:

the combat was the best part about this game, not the normal mmo tab and forget shit.

the problem they had was simple: basic misconceptions in creating the system.
    they burried themselves with the matrix, otherwise this game would have had a chance with it's f2p, a real one.

and if you think the gfx were bad, you must be kidding. at least i hope so.

the guys came from blizz, they surely knew what they were doing, you on the other hand, seem to have played a game that was never meant for you.

PS: just watched FFXIC combat vid, and that thing is tab target. so what the hell are you talking about?
    You're wasting your time. @Wizardry seldom makes posts with any relevance to the topic or gaming in general and never based on reality. He is here simply to bitch about games that aren't FFXIV. He is not a gamer, he is a whiner of the highest order. Also, he seldom responds to anyone as he is not interested in discussion, just his own baseless opinions. If you disagree with him, he will put you on ignore.

People are missing the real reason the game died. There was no "time" for social bonding. WoW had a LOT of downtime. Flightpaths, drinking water for mana, long runs between action, ect.

Wildstar was a non-stop sprint and you felt like you were missing out/being ineffective if you weren't jumping from POI to POI. If you took the time to whisper you would die in combat. You completed quests with lightning speed and everything was linear, meaning when you did encounter another player it would be inefficient to group up as the odds of you being on the same part of a quest hub were virtually nil and it was always more efficient to just do it solo instead of trying to communicate with someone. 

They "out designed" themselves and gave players what they were claiming they wanted without realizing the consequences.
    That is why the game died for you. I have heard several hundred reasons why the game died, everything from raids too hard, to too much hand-holding. All of them valid none of them the "real reason". The best reason is Shit show production crew. No leadership, no clear direction.

DMKano said:

Bitter, he may be, but wrong he is not.
    gunklackerAlverant

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320
    edited March 2019
    DMKano said:
    May I suggest watching some other "Death of a Game" videos. There are some exceptions. Every once in a while there are other factors. But making such a broad statement leaves out the little details or big mistakes along the way. In the end, it's the story behind the failure that's more interesting.
  • esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,097

There was no one thing about the design that killed Wild Star. The problem was what DM Kano pointed out. Bad clueless management.

I played Wildstar for quite a while, and every major decision they made was bad, and the time it took them to react to issues was too long for most players. I think that is one game that could have used a good reboot, if the engine performance issues were not too hard to fix that is.

Your point about it being more efficient to solo applies to almost every multiplayer game I've tried. Potentially the biggest problem in MMO design. 
    gunklackerHatefull