Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best Sequel Ever

Comments

• XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180
    Half-Life 3
    [Deleted User]AlBQuirkyMrMelGibson
  • PottedPlant22PottedPlant22 Member RarePosts: 800
    Resident Evil 4
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Hashbrick said:
    Easy and surprised no one said it yet.  Just Cause 2
    Just Cause was a sleeper hit on Xbox, I never played the sequel but the original was one of my favorites on the platform.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    After completing it yesterday and for the sake of not repeating previous mentions like Mass Effect 2 and Morrowind,  DMC 5 gets my nomination. I’m still smiling at how fantastic the combat and corny story was. 

Glad to hear you liked DMCV, I am a huge DMC fan but the game is so-so to me. Bayonetta still destroys it when it comes to the combat aspect, DMCV had much better pacing though. I could fill paragraphs as to why and how but I expected more from the game and its enviroments/combat system, the characters look drop dead gorgeous though with an attitude to match.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    [Deleted User]MrMelGibson
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
    Really if somebody can explain to me how KotOR2 was better overall than KotOR I would be very interested in hearing about that.
    I mean where do you want to start? Its better in almost every way.
    MrMelGibson
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

• SwampySackSwampySack Member UncommonPosts: 24
    Quake 2
    MechWarrior 2
    Unreal Tournament 2003
    GladDog
  • klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
    edited March 2019
    I mean if we really want to be spicy, SWTOR story wise is better than both KOTOR and KOTOR 2. I know that's not going to be popular around here, but I like my chicken spicy. 

KOTOR 2
    Mass Effect 2
    SWTOR (Agent, Warrior, Inquisitor, Consular, Knight) [TBH the last great Bioware story]
    The Witcher 3
    Red Dead Redemption 2 (Yes a Prequel but still)
    FF7
    FF8
    FF13

[Deleted User]alkarionlogMrMelGibson
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Quizzical said:

Because Guild Wars 1 is the best game of all time.
    Alrighty then.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,992
    edited March 2019
    ikcin said:

TW3 is the most rewarded game for sure. And this is important fact, as the game is not made in US and published by US company. Like if a foreign movie gets the Oscar for the best movie. What I point is, that noone mentioned TW3. Are KOTOR 2, Mass Effect 2, Assassins Creed 2, Final Fantasy VII, Divinity Original Sin 2 better games? I doubt. 
    Awards is not something I would point to in this case or any really.

Lets look at the Oscars which according to them Green Book was the best movie last year.  What are the odds anyone gives a shit about that in 5 years when talking about the greatest movie ever made?  Most will not even remember it won much less should be in that consideration.  I liked the movie and all but in my opinion there were better movies last year.  Or if you wanted to judge by most awards then 3 are tied with 11.  LOTR:ROTK, Titanic, and Ben Hur all won 11 in their respective years and would argue that none are the greatest movie of all time although Ben Hur would be top 5. 

Most awards do not really mean a whole lot.  Its great publicity for sure but not a measure of greatness when we are discussing opinion and personal experience.
    Such awards are only indicators at best of a form of entertainment's greatness. To my knowledge there is not an award system anywhere in the world that has not had "award creep". Each year or so another award is dreamt up; another sport becomes an Olympic sport, Steam had a Most Fun With a Machine Award this year, I think they may fit their awards to what comes out each year.

So Ben Hur got those awards when there where far fewer given out, that said the Lotr trilogy makes my top 5 films of all time. And there I am counting three films as one so I can squeeze another four in. :)

I see awards as an indicator of what people are being convinced they need to see or play as much as their inherent worth. Make your own mind up.

[Deleted User][Deleted User]AlBQuirky
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    Path of exile.

Sequel of diablo 2
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    damn you kids are young

Ultima 3 was by far a much superior game than Ultima 1/2
    Might and Magic 3 was the best of their franchise as well
    [Deleted User]AlBQuirkyScot
  • BossChonoBossChono Member UncommonPosts: 23

Total War Medieval 2 over the first one.  Or Total War Rome 2 over the first one (now with all the xpacs and fixes, not when it was first released in a horrid state.)  Starfox 64 over the snes one, but that's better because of system capabilities.

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    Might and magic 6 is the only one that I can really remember. Actually that's not true I remember trying might and magic 8 and didn't like it. 6 was good though.
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Myrdynn said:
    damn you kids are young

And then came Ultima IV (new milestone)... and Ultima VII (Ultimate Milestone) ;)
    I do like looking at older games too so my “Back in the Day We Had Awesome Sequels Too” awards go to:

Wing Commander 2

and

Maniac Mansion 2 (aka Day of the Tentacle)

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    ScotJamesGoblinMrMelGibson
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

Myrdynn said:
    damn you kids are young

Ultima IV was the best, but you nearly got there. ;)
    JamesGoblin
    ikcin said:
    Scot said:
    Such awards are only indicators at best of a form of entertainment's greatness. To my knowledge there is not an award system anywhere in the world that has not had "award creep". Each year or so another award is dreamt up; another sport becomes an Olympic sport, Steam had a Most Fun With a Machine Award this year, I think they may fit their awards to what comes out each year.

So Ben Hur got those awards when there where far fewer given out, that said the Lotr trilogy makes my top 5 films of all time. And there I am counting three films as one so I can squeeze another four in. :)

I see awards as an indicator of what people are being convinced they need to see or play as much as their inherent worth. Make your own mind up.

Well I agree in general. But again - this is not an US game. It is an exclusion of the rule - wins who pays.

As for the LoTR. The movie was not good. It had some good moments, even great, but in general it was very overrated. Not to mention the best of the three is the second. All are based on the comics instead on the books - lazy. The casting was great. The script - bad. The best actors - Viggo Mortensen and the Smeagol animation. And honestly Viggo Mortensen is better in Green book. 

I'm fan of LoTR. But Jackson literally used the script from the animation based on comics. And the movie was kind of disappointing.

The story for the greatness and the hidden power of the small man, full with powerful messages about ecology, violence, hate, racism, war, honor, love, became a picture of a big battle of good humans and elves against bad orcs. Well at least the elves were not black and gay. 

While Green book is about black gay, but that is not the point and the powerful messages are there, the main - the color of the skin actually does not matter.

You do realise that many of the messages that people think they find in Lotro were denied by Tokien as being his intention?  People have said his work endoses racism (I cannot tell you how angry I was about that) and others that it makes a stand against it, this tells you more about the commentators than the author. People find what they want to find in art, literature, games, you name it.

Also just as a note, the Elves did not take part, that’s why the battle in the opening sequence is called The Last Alliance of Elves and Men. They defended their lands but sent no armies out to war, the time had come for men to rule Middle Earth. But I did not mind Jackson sending Elves to the Hornburg, it was good film wise.

For me as a Tolkien fan I knew the film would only work if the book was reimagined for that medium, so though I rankled at some changes it was still a great adaptation.

[Deleted User]JamesGoblin
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    I liked WoW much more than Warcraft 3 - which I also liked and played a lot, but there at least I made some food/toilet breaks. 
    Warcraft 3 was a terrible game. I really didn't consider WoW a sequel, but a whole new entity of its own. It was more of an Everquest sequel than a Warcraft 3 sequel.
    MrMelGibson
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    The Elder Scroll series....Daggerfall was light years better than Arena was......Arena was a buggy mess...daggerfall was the first game I remember playing that had such a huge open world.
    AlBQuirky
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    edited March 2019
    Really if somebody can explain to me how KotOR2 was better overall than KotOR I would be very interested in hearing about that.
    @Adamantine You should replay it with the Sith Lords restored content patch. Without it you may have a point. But the patch fixes and finishes the game making it superior to KOTOR imo.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=485537937
    ikcin said:
    Scot said:

You do realise that many of the messages that people think they find in Lotro were denied by Tokien as being his intention?  People have said his work endoses racism (I cannot tell you how angry I was about that) and others that it makes a stand against it, this tells you more about the commentators than the author. People find what they want to find in art, literature, games, you name it.

Also just as a note, the Elves did not take part, that’s why the battle in the opening sequence is called The Last Alliance of Elves and Men. They defended their lands but sent no armies out to war, the time had come for men to rule Middle Earth. But I did not mind Jackson sending Elves to the Hornburg, it was good film wise.

For me as a Tolkien fan I knew the film would only work if the book was reimagined for that medium, so though I rankled at some changes it was still a great adaptation.

You know, I always want better :) 

Heroes of Might and Magic 3 - the best up to date. Heretic 2 - another great game underrated in US.  
    Heretic was an old favourite of mine. :)
    [Deleted User]AlBQuirky
    Warcraft 3
    MrMelGibson

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar

• MensurMensur Member EpicPosts: 1,515
    Final Fantasy 7

mmorpg junkie since 1999

FF7 and CC are masterpieces but FF6 and Chrono Trigger are ineffable, commonly ranked among the greatest video games of all time let alone greatest RPGs.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Scot said:
    ikcin said:
    Scot said:

You know, I always want better :) 

Heroes of Might and Magic 3 - the best up to date. Heretic 2 - another great game underrated in US.  
    Heretic was an old favourite of mine. :)
    Wasn't Heretic that fantasy first person shooter? My brother really grooved on that one ;)
    Scot

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee