Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Warframe: Hildryn & Phase 1 Melee Changes - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited March 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageWarframe: Hildryn & Phase 1 Melee Changes - MMORPG.com

Because the combat system in Warframe is continuously evolving with parkour, flying, mod changes, new warframes with unique abilities, and plans, the changes to melee are going to be released in phases. Releasing in stages also ensures the changes do not break too much of the other aspects of the game all at once. Smaller bite-sized chunks of drastic changes give the developers a good foundation for feedback. So far the new melee changes feel like an upgrade to me, but I have noticed some weird results to the changes.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• 3dom3dom Member RarePosts: 889
    I like how it's possible to run with melee weapon out now - instead of just striking and sheathing. But that wasn't enough to keep the game installed because the rest of the changes are in the range from mediocre ("open world" zones) to repulsive (Hildryn).
    Phoenix_Hawk

Thank you for your time!

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    3dom said:
    I like how it's possible to run with melee weapon out now - instead of just striking and sheathing. But that wasn't enough to keep the game installed because the rest of the changes are in the range from mediocre ("open world" zones) to repulsive (Hildryn).
    Umm, it was possible to do that before. You just had to switch to your melee weapon. But that left your guns inaccessible, which was the point of this change.
  • exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089
    There is no point to use melee weapons in a fps shooter.
    [Deleted User]SabracCaffynated
  • HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    edited March 2019
    exile01 said:

Have you ever played warframe? it is a TPS first of all and it was very melee themed. And yes, there is a whole lot of reason to use melee in this game.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

edited March 2019
    exile01 said:
    Warframe is a third person shooter, and a very atypical one at that. Not a first person. And that inherently makes melee and mobility more reliable.

Secondly, there are many uses for your melee in Warframe. AoE, health recovery, blocking, crowd control, and the general high power of slash status.

Thirdly, there are entire warframes (Valkyr, Excalibur, Wukong, etc.) designed around maximizing your melee effectiveness.
    HatefullJeroKaneSinsai
  • WKMitchellWKMitchell Member UncommonPosts: 86
    I loved warframe for a long time MR 18 the grind was a bit much at times but I would just take a break and come back later.

I agree with Aaron that open world was not enjoyable simply cause people don't want to work together they just rush stuff so fast that by the time to you get there it is already done or mostly done.

But the thing that has really killed it for me is the new Nightwave update. It removed most alerts which allowed for an easy way back into the game after a break. Also inducing massive choice paralysis I have every node in the game unlocked so basically 250+ choices when I jump in seems like a good thing but unless you have a specific goal in mind when going in you have a hard time deciding where to start. Alerts helped with this requiring only 3 choices: Do I want the reward, can I do it power wise, what Warframe do I feel like playing. Nightwave also makes the game feel infinitely more grindy to me. It was already a very grindy game but enjoyable but Nightwave makes it feel like a 11 on a scale of 1-10. There are other reasons why I have uninstalled Warframe for the first time since it came out on steam but nightwave is the main one.
    I loved warframe for a long time MR 18 the grind was a bit much at times but I would just take a break and come back later.

I agree with Aaron that open world was not enjoyable simply cause people don't want to work together they just rush stuff so fast that by the time to you get there it is already done or mostly done.

But the thing that has really killed it for me is the new Nightwave update. It removed most alerts which allowed for an easy way back into the game after a break. Also inducing massive choice paralysis I have every node in the game unlocked so basically 250+ choices when I jump in seems like a good thing but unless you have a specific goal in mind when going in you have a hard time deciding where to start. Alerts helped with this requiring only 3 choices: Do I want the reward, can I do it power wise, what Warframe do I feel like playing. Nightwave also makes the game feel infinitely more grindy to me. It was already a very grindy game but enjoyable but Nightwave makes it feel like a 11 on a scale of 1-10. There are other reasons why I have uninstalled Warframe for the first time since it came out on steam but nightwave is the main one.
    I agree with this criticism. Part of the reason why I don't play Warframe much right now is because it's open world content is dogshit and the game buries some seriously desirable progression behind intolerably long grinds of that content.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,975
    "As you can see, Warframe knows how to be a GaAs".

Wonderful praise that gamers can rejoice in.
    JamesGoblin
  • hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    Completely disagrre about the Nightwave critism. I find it a huge improvement over the old system. 95% of all old alerts where useless for EVERYONE. Even new players.

Hatefull said:

exile01 said:

Have you ever played warframe? it is a TPS first of all and it was very melee themed. And yes, there is a whole lot of reason to use melee in this game.

Ive played and paid 5 bucks (special one time discount). Melee has been never viable in this game. Everything is time gated or you need to defend where melee is a huge disadvantage because you cannot get there in time to swing your weapon. Also melee weapons scale like dogshit on highest difficulty aka endgame raids/runs.
    Hatefull
  • GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470

exile01 said:

Hatefull said:

exile01 said:

Ive played and paid 5 bucks (special one time discount). Melee has been never viable in this game. Everything is time gated or you need to defend where melee is a huge disadvantage because you cannot get there in time to swing your weapon. Also melee weapons scale like dogshit on highest difficulty aka endgame raids/runs.

Melee has never been viable??? We can all now safely ignore everything you say about Warframe.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

exile01 said:

Hatefull said:

exile01 said:

HAAAAAAAAAA LMAO are you trying to be serious?!?!?!?

Ginaz said:

exile01 said:

Hatefull said:

exile01 said:

Melee has never been viable??? We can all now safely ignore everything you say about Warframe.
    Yes, I agree, this person has probably never played this game.

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    Hatefull said:
    exile01 said:

Hatefull said:

exile01 said:

Ginaz said:

exile01 said:
    While I prefer melee, Atlas and Rhino, over firearms he does have a point when you get a group with a couple of Embers in it.  Usually I just sit down and watch the damage numbers float by.
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
    Hatefull said:
    exile01 said:

Hatefull said:

exile01 said:

Ginaz said:

exile01 said:

Hatefull said:

exile01 said:

Who knows how Melee 3.0 will turn out but right now melee is incredibly strong.  A properly modded Gram/Galatine Prime, a good Zaw or a spin2win Aterax set up will melt pretty much everything in seconds.  There's lots of other strong melee weapons, too, along with the Exalted weapons.
    Hatefull

Grunty said:

Hatefull said:

exile01 said:

Hatefull said:

exile01 said:

Ginaz said:

exile01 said:

While I prefer melee, Atlas and Rhino, over firearms he does have a point when you get a group with a couple of Embers in it.  Usually I just sit down and watch the damage numbers float by.

Ember is almost useless doing anything above level 30 enemies. She's bottom tier right now. Her World on Fire got nerfed into the ground. I don't think you or the other guy are even above MR 10 when you make statements like that.
    Hatefull

Ginaz said:

Grunty said:

Hatefull said:

exile01 said:

Hatefull said:

exile01 said:

Ginaz said:

exile01 said:

Ember is almost useless doing anything above level 30 enemies. She's bottom tier right now. Her World on Fire got nerfed into the ground. I don't think you or the other guy are even above MR 10 when you make statements like that.

Timed game designs are never in favor of melee when you have the option of guns. You just cant compete with the amass of incoming horde monsters. I can wipe whole armys in seconds before you even turn around.
    GinazHatefull
  • paul43paul43 Member UncommonPosts: 198
    Warframe is a great game. You can play it completly for free, I've playd it over a month and only spent 5 bucks on it, opening up some weapon slots and doubling mod capacity. There's so much to do in the game. Many game systems are 5-6 years old and still relevant. In other games it's not uncommon that game systems are no longer relevant as the game progresses.

exile01 said:

Ginaz said:

Grunty said:

Hatefull said:

exile01 said:

Hatefull said:

exile01 said:

Ginaz said:

exile01 said:

Timed game designs are never in favor of melee when you have the option of guns. You just cant compete with the amass of incoming horde monsters. I can wipe whole armys in seconds before you even turn around.

And you're still wrong. You can kill stuff just as good with melee as you can with guns, esp. with the Infested, but you wouldn't know that since I doubt you've done anything above level 30 star chart stuff.

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,915
    exile01 said:

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    edited March 2019
    Ginaz said:

Grunty said:

Hatefull said:

exile01 said:

Hatefull said:

exile01 said:

Ginaz said:

exile01 said:

Okay change to any AOE base warframe instead of just Ember.  They all fly around the room trying to kill everything before a meleer can even get close.  They'll even change direction to make sure someone doesn't get kills.  And Mastery Rating has nothing to do with ability. It is just an epeen measurement for how many Warframes, weapons, archwings and sentinels you've leveled to MR 30.  But if you really want to know then my MR rating is 16. 

I also just got the first 75% off plat discount in 3-4 years of off and on playing.  I just bought the frame slots for the four Warframes that've been sitting in the forge for the past six - eight months. I've also got about 30 weapons in the forge ready to go.  So my epeen will be growing over the next couple of months.  Does that satisfy you?
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
    I don't know why people insist on viewing melee in a vacuum, as if someone utilizing their melee weapon is meant to use only their melee weapon.

The melee weapon is there for utility, defense, and self-sustain. There will be plenty of cases in which it is the best tool for damage, but you often will be reliant on your firearms or abilities. If that wasn't true, Warframe wouldn't offer that level of variety in the first place.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Grunty said:
    Ginaz said:

Grunty said:

Hatefull said:

exile01 said:

Hatefull said:

exile01 said:

Ginaz said:

exile01 said:

Okay change to any AOE base warframe instead of just Ember.  They all fly around the room trying to kill everything before a meleer can even get close.  They'll even change direction to make sure someone doesn't get kills.  And Mastery Rating has nothing to do with ability. It is just an epeen measurement for how many Warframes, weapons, archwings and sentinels you've leveled to MR 30.  But if you really want to know then my MR rating is 16. 

I also just got the first 75% off plat discount in 3-4 years of off and on playing.  I just bought the frame slots for the four Warframes that've been sitting in the forge for the past six - eight months. I've also got about 30 weapons in the forge ready to go.  So my epeen will be growing over the next couple of months.  Does that satisfy you?
    idk man....playing for 3-4 years, even if its more time off than on, and not just making plat through trading just to buy slots.....I kind of find it hard to take your advice about anything, but that's just me.

As for melee being viable, this will always depend on what you're doing and who you're fighting. Like if you're doing a survival vs infested, that's where 'melee' shines, but that also depends on what kind of melee you're doing, and by that I mean slide killing vs just straight up fighting with the former usually being seen as the 'better' bet vs the latter.

Warframe is just a game of situations.
    Hatefull
    exile01 said:

Ginaz said:

Grunty said:

Hatefull said:

exile01 said:

Hatefull said:

exile01 said:

Ginaz said:

exile01 said:

LOL no, no you can't.

Grunty said:
    Ginaz said:

Grunty said:

Hatefull said:

exile01 said:

Hatefull said:

exile01 said:

Ginaz said:

exile01 said:

Literally just logged out, been playing nothing but melee all damn day...about 6 hours now. Absolutely no issue.

Normally I play Melee when necessary, as I prefer ranged, but today, just to prove a point I have been all melee and again, no issues.

Saying Melee isn't viable is just asinine. Will it work in every situation? No, but it just as viable as going ranged.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I enjoyed years of playing the Unreal series by Digital Extremes /Epic ,i also enjoyed years of Quake and Doom and Hexen,guess what i NEVER had to experience>>>cash shops.

Cash shop gaming is bullshit,no excuses accepted.Sell the dam game and be done with it,quit trying to exploit dumbass spenders.it is like dangling a beer in front of an alcoholic.

Sell the game,imo worth $30,then if it is good you will have no problem selling expansions.If your game is not good that you can't simply sell it instead of baiting and luring people in on the free monicker,then FIX IT,make it good enough.
    Ginaz

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.