Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hello Games Introduces No Man's Sky Beyond & 'No Man's Sky Online' - MMORPG.com

Comments

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    I'm very curious about how they proceed from here.  They have (finally) gotten the game to a good place, and they're not wanting to sit on their laurels.  Good.  I only hope they make a positive step forward rather than a step backwards.

[Deleted User]HatefullZzad

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Albatroes said:

lahnmir said:

Hatefull said:

Albatroes said:

I can't wait for these to be excellent games.....2 years post release.

Limnic said:

Still not fond of the posturing they did during interviews. When Next launched and they tried to cover tracks by saying "The launch title was exactly what we had intended it to be." was a rather brazen slap in the face and disregard for all the false advertising of features that had lead up to the launch.

Hello Games refused to acknowledge a misstep and instead wanted to sweep it under the rug and look forward as if it never happened. That was a poor stance to take as a company in my opinion.

That they committed to action at least, and have maintained momentum in turning the game into what they had originally sold it to be, if taken in isolation, is still a commendable achievement.

Mixed bag for me really as a result. I appreciate that they buckled down and did what they had to do, but I do not like the way they tried to dance around the PR as a company.

It's okay! All developers take note! It's better to botch your games initially. All will be forgiven after you sell some DLC that fixes the game. Like the division did! Then sell a "sequel" aka expansion. Everyone will buy! Clever Ubisoft. I can't wait to play Fallout 77, the "sequel". It will be amazing and everyone agrees!

Lmao!!

I do not think you understand what is being said here...or you quoted the wrong people. No one thinks it is ok to release an unfinished game with most of the advertised features missing. The only credit here is that Hello stuck to it and eventually got the game finished. Which is rare.

I also think he completely missed the part about every single update/patch/expansion for NMS being absolutely free. Its crazy what they are doing.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

Its crazy that they fixed their game and ended up putting stuff that was advertised in the game from the beginning! Complete madness dare I say!
    They’ve gone very much above and beyond that, completely free of charge. I know of not a single game that that has happened too which is B2P only, none.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    [Deleted User]HatefullKyleranmike32927Thupli
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

Nyctelios said:
    lahnmir said:
    Hatefull said:

Albatroes said:

Limnic said:

Still not fond of the posturing they did during interviews. When Next launched and they tried to cover tracks by saying "The launch title was exactly what we had intended it to be." was a rather brazen slap in the face and disregard for all the false advertising of features that had lead up to the launch.

Hello Games refused to acknowledge a misstep and instead wanted to sweep it under the rug and look forward as if it never happened. That was a poor stance to take as a company in my opinion.

That they committed to action at least, and have maintained momentum in turning the game into what they had originally sold it to be, if taken in isolation, is still a commendable achievement.

Mixed bag for me really as a result. I appreciate that they buckled down and did what they had to do, but I do not like the way they tried to dance around the PR as a company.

It's okay! All developers take note! It's better to botch your games initially. All will be forgiven after you sell some DLC that fixes the game. Like the division did! Then sell a "sequel" aka expansion. Everyone will buy! Clever Ubisoft. I can't wait to play Fallout 77, the "sequel". It will be amazing and everyone agrees!

Lmao!!
    I do not think you understand what is being said here...or you quoted the wrong people. No one thinks it is ok to release an unfinished game with most of the advertised features missing. The only credit here is that Hello stuck to it and eventually got the game finished. Which is rare.

I also think he completely missed the part about every single update/patch/expansion for NMS being absolutely free. Its crazy what they are doing.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    While what they did should never be accepted we can't just shrug away they trying to redeem themselves. Redemption is a hard and rocky road and they seem to not be afraid of walking it. So cheers, I say.
    I also say cheers, a lot actually!  :p

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    [Deleted User]HatefullKyleran[Deleted User]Thupli

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

• Asch126Asch126 Member RarePosts: 543

SBFord said:

This is why the best games need to weather the early reviews and rocky starts. NMS has consistently gotten better and better to become something special despite the trauma -- literally in this case -- of the horrible start. Hello Games stuck to it and made a great game. This new addition will be fantastic!

The best games don't have rocky starts nor do they have developers at the helm that promise countless things and deliver none.

They might be going great now, but people should not forget everything that happened leading up to launch.
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Asch126 said:

SBFord said:

This is why the best games need to weather the early reviews and rocky starts. NMS has consistently gotten better and better to become something special despite the trauma -- literally in this case -- of the horrible start. Hello Games stuck to it and made a great game. This new addition will be fantastic!

The best games don't have rocky starts nor do they have developers at the helm that promise countless things and deliver none.

They might be going great now, but people should not forget everything that happened leading up to launch.
    To be fair he did deliver, just not out the gate and people are acknowledging that. That's the point.

No Man's Land got BUTCHERED for the mishaps (rightfully so in some cases), and instead of doubling down on excuses, or closing up shop and cutting losses they stuck it out.

I'm not saying to not be wary if they drop another game but in the case of THIS title, they have made some amends. Enough for forgiveness and some actual praise.
    [Deleted User]NyteWytchHatefullThupliTacticalZombeh
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503

SBFord said:

I agree and disagree with this. No Man Sky PR department blatantly lied to get sells. The entire you can play with others thing was a huge thing for the game which turned out to just be a straight out lie. So you have to think do you want a game even though it is a decent game that has gotten better, to flourish after the fact. So basically do you think it is ok to mislead gamers so they buy your product in hopes that one day it will have the things in it that you lied to them about?

In this case specifically it is a case where the game should not have launched when it did. They should have baked it longer an gotten the things they said were in it, in it before launch. Even though the game is a decent game you shouldn't give them a thumbs up for trying to add things they said were in it to begin with.

It's a different story when you are talking about devs with a game that launches with the things it says it has and people just don't like the way it plays. Those devs deserve a pat on the back an a good job when they keep working at it and deliver a game that was far better than the original.
  • Krynt0kKrynt0k Member UncommonPosts: 256

Hatefull said:

Albatroes said:

Limnic said:

Lmao!!

That's not very hatefull
    [Deleted User]
  • seshsesseshses Member UncommonPosts: 67
    Give them credit for never loosing hope for their game , i believe they did a marvelous job getting it back and still today still pushing more content . 
    HatefullThupliTacticalZombeh
  • CanPantherCanPanther Member UncommonPosts: 30
    edited March 2019
    Asch126 said:

Interesting. Would you like every single mistake you made in the past rubbed in your face forever, no matter what good you've done after? I think not.

Hello Games went through a lot of stuff before launch. IIRC, they had a flood a few months before launch that wiped out some of their game development yet they still somehow managed to make their launch date, albeit with a game not ready for prime time. Who knows what they lost with that? But everything they've done since has more than made up for it. And on their 3rd year anniversary, they will be releasing yet another -free- DLC. 

So maybe you should take some advice from the Disney/Gunn fiasco and just let it go. The past is in the past. People makes mistakes. It's the actions afterwards that define who they are. And given how they've handled both themselves and No Man's Sky since launch, Hello Games have definitely proven they are a quality organization. 
    HatefullThupliTacticalZombeh
    You can choose a ready guide in some celestial voice
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice
    You can choose from phantom fears and kindness that can kill
    I will choose a path that's clear, I will choose Freewill

- Rush, Freewill (Album: Permanent Waves)
  • SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

Scorchien said:

One of the better turn around stories we have ,, Great Job Hello Games

I agree, a lot of devs/publishers would have abandoned the game after the horrific start NMS had, but these guys? Nope they stuck to it, kept working on it and vastly improved the game completly turning it around into a great game.
    HatefullBruceYeeTacticalZombeh

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    k61977 said:

SBFord said:

I agree and disagree with this. No Man Sky PR department blatantly lied to get sells. The entire you can play with others thing was a huge thing for the game which turned out to just be a straight out lie. So you have to think do you want a game even though it is a decent game that has gotten better, to flourish after the fact. So basically do you think it is ok to mislead gamers so they buy your product in hopes that one day it will have the things in it that you lied to them about?

In this case specifically it is a case where the game should not have launched when it did. They should have baked it longer an gotten the things they said were in it, in it before launch. Even though the game is a decent game you shouldn't give them a thumbs up for trying to add things they said were in it to begin with.

It's a different story when you are talking about devs with a game that launches with the things it says it has and people just don't like the way it plays. Those devs deserve a pat on the back an a good job when they keep working at it and deliver a game that was far better than the original.
    Again, you don't appear to understand what people are saying. NO ONE is saying please feed us crap and give us unfinished trash heaps. We ARE saying that after a breathtakingly bad launch, they picked up and got on with it eventually getting to where they needed to be. With more free DLC than I have seen since L2. Most development studios would have just let it die.

Did Hello make promises that weren't there at launch? Yes, they did. Did they eventually make good on said promises? Yes, yes they did and then some. It is extreme folly to keep penalizing for mistakes when it is obvious they are very willing to not only make up for them but give even more.
    [Deleted User]Xarktard

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

Krynt0k said:

Hatefull said:

Albatroes said:

Limnic said:

Lmao!!

That's not very hatefull
    Yeah, this site suspends me when I speak my mind sans filter. Funny Trivia: Hateful was the callsign of my Sniper Platoon way back when. When I was making my MMORPG.COM account (again a long time ago) I had a picture of the guys on the wall next to my computer. The rest is history.
    Thupli[Deleted User]

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Please let either 2 or 3 be VR. I would certainly play again (on PS4) if VR is added!
    Oyjord
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    well, even disney forgave james gunn.

maybe you guys should chill some day too ;)
    BruceYeeHatefull[Deleted User]

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• EMoneyEMoney Member UncommonPosts: 52

SBFord said:

I don't know. The only reason they're around to keep poking at it is because of the hype and false advertising before the game launched. The original reviews and reception was earned and justified, as is perhaps the new found fondness for the game (though it does seem a touch 'internet ironic' to be a big NMS stan.)

The practice that this encourages, essentially, is lying to boost preorder sales, cash in in a big way, and then keep working on the game for 2 years after release. I'd rather not have devs see this as a model for how games should be made, but rather an awkward, cautionary tale that may have come out ok in terms of game, but tarnished the reputation of a developer for much longer than NMS will be around.

The absolute most cynical part of me says Hello Games is only still beating this drum because of the unholy fury that would have rained down on them had they started to pitch and preorder a new title after their launch cycle debacle. They have had no choice but to continue patching this game together, which is far from the exploration title it was originally said to be and a fairly generic gather-and-build survival game now.

Good on those that enjoy that sort of thing, but it seems mostly like it's well received now because of exactly what was lacking to begin with. I imagine we will see the same things written about Anthem and FO76 in enough time for apathy and short memories to set in.
    EMoney said:

SBFord said:

I don't know. The only reason they're around to keep poking at it is because of the hype and false advertising before the game launched. The original reviews and reception was earned and justified, as is perhaps the new found fondness for the game (though it does seem a touch 'internet ironic' to be a big NMS stan.)

The practice that this encourages, essentially, is lying to boost preorder sales, cash in in a big way, and then keep working on the game for 2 years after release. I'd rather not have devs see this as a model for how games should be made, but rather an awkward, cautionary tale that may have come out ok in terms of game, but tarnished the reputation of a developer for much longer than NMS will be around.

The absolute most cynical part of me says Hello Games is only still beating this drum because of the unholy fury that would have rained down on them had they started to pitch and preorder a new title after their launch cycle debacle. They have had no choice but to continue patching this game together, which is far from the exploration title it was originally said to be and a fairly generic gather-and-build survival game now.

Good on those that enjoy that sort of thing, but it seems mostly like it's well received now because of exactly what was lacking to begin with. I imagine we will see the same things written about Anthem and FO76 in enough time for apathy and short memories to set in.
    Your post really gives the word bitter a new meaning, besides it being far removed from the truth. Have you read the rest of the thread and what HG had actually added to the game and how people changed their minds?

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    ThupliTacticalZombehHatefull[Deleted User]XarktardOyjord

Hatefull said:

k61977 said:

SBFord said:

Again, you don't appear to understand what people are saying. NO ONE is saying please feed us crap and give us unfinished trash heaps. We ARE saying that after a breathtakingly bad launch, they picked up and got on with it eventually getting to where they needed to be. With more free DLC than I have seen since L2. Most development studios would have just let it die.

Did Hello make promises that weren't there at launch? Yes, they did. Did they eventually make good on said promises? Yes, yes they did and then some. It is extreme folly to keep penalizing for mistakes when it is obvious they are very willing to not only make up for them but give even more.

No it isn't folly to hold someone accountable for lying. A company that lies to it's customers should be put out of business. It is that simple. I mean think about it, it has taken them years past the delivery date to give the people that bought their product what they bought the product for. Imagine going to a bank giving them your money then you go to take it out and half of it isn't there, that's the point.

I agree that they made good of trying to fix the issue. No one isn't saying that. In reality though they should have been put out of business. Unfortunately in gaming, companies are allowed to sell broken and unfinished games without being penalized the way just about every other form business is or would be.
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    Good job. Surprised it's still going.
    Xarktard

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• CanPantherCanPanther Member UncommonPosts: 30
    k61977 said:

I agree that they made good of trying to fix the issue. No one isn't saying that. In reality though they should have been put out of business. Unfortunately in gaming, companies are allowed to sell broken and unfinished games without being penalized the way just about every other form business is or would be.
    That's crap. Like everyone else, they should have been given a chance to make good on their promises, not automatically lose their employment and means of supporting their families. It was completely -your- choice to buy the game or not. There were even refunds if you weren't happy with it. Hello Games was called out for what happened. And then they stepped up and did the right thing (unlike some other gaming companies, *cough* Snail Games *cough*). Luckily, it was up to the market to decide whether or not to support NMS and some of us decided to have a little faith and stick it out. And, for a change, we were rewarded handsomely for it. 

So if you don't like the way a company operates, stay away from them. That's your choice. I can think for myself and make up my own mind, tyvm. 
    Xarktard
    You can choose a ready guide in some celestial voice
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice
    You can choose from phantom fears and kindness that can kill
    I will choose a path that's clear, I will choose Freewill

- Rush, Freewill (Album: Permanent Waves)
  • MachkeznhoMachkeznho Member UncommonPosts: 424
    What Hello Games have done here is distinguished themselves as a company that puts gamers first instead of the big AAA mentality of nickel and diming content and monetization we have unfortunately become so used to. Its nice to have purchased a game and even though it wasn't what was initially promised to see it flourish into something amazing with no extra charge for the people who bought it. You think EA or Activision gives as much of a crap about us or their reputations as Hello Games does short answer no they don't. So for that I thank Hello Games for being a stand up group of game developers and showing the world what integrity looks like.
    Xarktard
    edited March 2019
    k61977 said:

That's crap. Like everyone else, they should have been given a chance to make good on their promises, not automatically lose their employment and means of supporting their families. It was completely -your- choice to buy the game or not. There were even refunds if you weren't happy with it. Hello Games was called out for what happened. And then they stepped up and did the right thing (unlike some other gaming companies, *cough* Snail Games *cough*). Luckily, it was up to the market to decide whether or not to support NMS and some of us decided to have a little faith and stick it out. And, for a change, we were rewarded handsomely for it. 

So if you don't like the way a company operates, stay away from them. That's your choice. I can think for myself and make up my own mind, tyvm. 

Well it is my choice to hold a company accountable.  I will continue to do so.  I will not turn a blind eye and say oh well they will fix it later.  If I don't like a company because they basically told one of the biggest lies in gaming in the last 10 years of gaming then that is my right just like it is your right to have your own opinion. 

A forum is for people to agree and disagree and have discussions about those agreements and disagreements.  I have just as much right to post how I feel as you do, tyvm.  

I guess stepping up after you get caught is ok in your world.  Well the way I was raised you do the right thing the first time so you don't have to get caught to make you do the right thing later. 

It's this attitude that they have a right to release something other than what they said knowing full well it was not is a problem in gaming today or I should say gamers ideology.  It is why so many companies get away with doing the same things over and over.  Just look at all the games that are getting released today that are incomplete and broken and people just let it go, they defend the developers and say they will fix it later.  That is the wrong way to think when it comes to something someone buys.  I can forgive people, but I still hold them accountable.

Like I said if this had been any other form of business they would have been put out of business and people would have been calling for their heads because of fraud.  That's what it was, it was fraud. 

My example is still on point.  If this had been a bank and you had deposited your money in and they basically only give you back half when you closed your account.  Is that ok?  Would it be ok for them to say we will send it to you a few years from now because we don't have it now?  If your answer is no, then why are developers and gaming held to a different standard?

Hatefull
    k61977 said:
    k61977 said:

Well it is my choice to hold a company accountable.  I will continue to do so.  I will not turn a blind eye and say oh well they will fix it later.  If I don't like a company because they basically told one of the biggest lies in gaming in the last 10 years of gaming then that is my right just like it is your right to have your own opinion. 

A forum is for people to agree and disagree and have discussions about those agreements and disagreements.  I have just as much right to post how I feel as you do, tyvm.  

I guess stepping up after you get caught is ok in your world.  Well the way I was raised you do the right thing the first time so you don't have to get caught to make you do the right thing later. 

It's this attitude that they have a right to release something other than what they said knowing full well it was not is a problem in gaming today or I should say gamers ideology.  It is why so many companies get away with doing the same things over and over.  Just look at all the games that are getting released today that are incomplete and broken and people just let it go, they defend the developers and say they will fix it later.  That is the wrong way to think when it comes to something someone buys.  I can forgive people, but I still hold them accountable.

Like I said if this had been any other form of business they would have been put out of business and people would have been calling for their heads because of fraud.  That's what it was, it was fraud. 

My example is still on point.  If this had been a bank and you had deposited your money in and they basically only give you back half when you closed your account.  Is that ok?  Would it be ok for them to say we will send it to you a few years from now because we don't have it now?  If your answer is no, then why are developers and gaming held to a different standard?

What was that biggest lie exactly?

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Xarktard

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Huh, Might eventually check this out.....but it would have to be on deep discount for me. The gameplay itself just doesn't do anything for me, so I would need a trial or sale to be convinced.
    edited March 2019
    k61977 said:

Hatefull said:

k61977 said:

SBFord said:

No it isn't folly to hold someone accountable for lying. A company that lies to it's customers should be put out of business. It is that simple. I mean think about it, it has taken them years past the delivery date to give the people that bought their product what they bought the product for. Imagine going to a bank giving them your money then you go to take it out and half of it isn't there, that's the point.

Then you know fuck all about the business world because you are being lied to on the daily. Yes, people and business entities should be held accountable, they should also be forgiven when they make good. Are you still having every mistake you ever made held against you? I very much doubt it. Fix the issue and move on. Or live a sad, pathetic, grudge-holding life. Up to you. At any rate, I feel your outlook on the topic is rather naive.

You keep wanting to site "other business". Ok, then ALL, I mean literally ALL car companies should be shut down? Because they all (with the exception of high-end luxury cars) have had recalls, which is indicative of "not doing it right the first time".

How about farmers? They make mistakes too and tons of foods have to be recalled.

Construction companies? I know several that have had to go back and fix mistakes. Shut them down too?

Again, you are far too naive to realize what you are saying and the second and third order effects of "just shutting them down". Yeah, this is an entertainment industry, but people still rely on those paychecks to survive. Shutting them down is not the answer, doing the right thing is.

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    Hatefull said:
    k61977 said:

SNIP

Then you know fuck all about the business world because you are being lied to on the daily. Yes, people and business entities should be held accountable, they should also be forgiven when they make good. Are you still having every mistake you ever made held against you? I very much doubt it. Fix the issue and move on. Or live a sad, pathetic, grudge-holding life. Up to you. At any rate, I feel your outlook on the topic is rather naive.
    I feel both of you are repeating yourself ad infinitum in order to get the last word in.,
    [Deleted User]
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams