Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen: Around the Verse - Shots Fired, Area 18 & Lots of Lore - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited March 2019 in Videos Discussion

imageStar Citizen: Around the Verse - Shots Fired, Area 18 & Lots of Lore - MMORPG.com

Once again, Friday has rolled around and the latest edition of Star Citizen: Around the Verse is out and about for your viewing pleasure. In this week's episode Technical Director Sean Tracy and Narrative Director David Haddock showcase holo advertising in Area 18, "thousands upon thousands of shots fired" and the lore team unveils a few story tidbits.

Read the full story here

WalkinGlenn

Comments

• JippiijooJippiijoo Member UncommonPosts: 100
    cmon guys! get on bashin' this game, its always a funny thing to see every friday in the comments.
    MensurXarkoJeroKanePher0ciousSabracxybedoutJoeBlober
  • MensurMensur Member EpicPosts: 1,515
    I just want more ships! I
    XarkoJeroKane

mmorpg junkie since 1999

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    I love the "Greycat" golfcart crashcar derbies in Area 18... ;-)

Have fun
    HatefullWalkinGlenn
  • CazrielCazriel Member RarePosts: 419
    Wasn't this a kickstarter? So far back, I can't remember.
    JamesGoblinGregorMcgregorgastovski1
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    Cazriel said:
    Wasn't this a kickstarter? So far back, I can't remember.
    It started as an internal crowdfunding, switched to a Kickstarter for a month, and continued again as an internal crowdfunding project.  These days, the Kickstarter part amounts to about 2.7 % of the total sum (currently around 220 million dollar and still growing ... making it the largest crowdfunding project ever, any genre).

Have fun
    Hatefullsquibbly
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396
    Yes, it started as internal crowdfunding, but in typical Roberts fashion, the website was poorly prepared, and crashed.  So they ran to Kickstarter to keep the cashflow going.  The same Kickstarter that Roberts had been trashing months before.  And made up an excuse for the sudden change of heart.  

The Kickstarter aspect though is a very minor part of the crowdfunding total now, and probably only really important for historical context.

The 'Round the Verse video is just another of their teasers to keep supporters focused, and to spur more donations, as the Investors need their profits.  Investors without whom the SC project would be out of money, right about now.

So, keep donating funds to Roberts' Red Queen's Race, because they'll need them to entice next year's investors.  

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,265
    edited March 2019
    Yes, it started as internal crowdfunding, but in typical Roberts fashion, the website was poorly prepared, and crashed.  So they ran to Kickstarter to keep the cashflow going.  The same Kickstarter that Roberts had been trashing months before.  And made up an excuse for the sudden change of heart.  

The Kickstarter aspect though is a very minor part of the crowdfunding total now, and probably only really important for historical context.

The 'Round the Verse video is just another of their teasers to keep supporters focused, and to spur more donations, as the Investors need their profits.  Investors without whom the SC project would be out of money, right about now.

So, keep donating funds to Roberts' Red Queen's Race, because they'll need them to entice next year's investors.  
    Poor Roberts couldn't even predict that Star Citizen would become the biggest crowdfunded project ever  :D

The theories get more and more creative as the years go by which is nice.
    squibbly
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396
    Funny, at the time of the Kickstarter, I predicted it would never come out anything like on time, and that it would feature creep it's way far into the universe.   Guess I knew better than Mr. Roberts.   

Despite my disdain for the CIG brass and their mangerial incompetence, the project did help put space gaming back on the map, in major fashion.  No denying that!

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

edited March 2019
    Wow predicting that an ambitious crowdfunded game will be delayed and change scope along the way... Who would have tought   :D

It's not like it doesn't already happen with most games anyway...

Boring...

squibblyAzzrasJoeBlobergastovski1
  • cagancagan Member UncommonPosts: 445
    Just played the other night. Went to another space station, parked ship, stuck in door as I was leaving the ship, died. Restarted, jumped into ship, went to another planet, landed on planet, fell into the ground and died...uninstalled...will try again next alpha release. So much fun dying falling into the ground or into your own ship.
  • rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    cagan said:
    Just played the other night. Went to another space station, parked ship, stuck in door as I was leaving the ship, died. Restarted, jumped into ship, went to another planet, landed on planet, fell into the ground and died...uninstalled...will try again next alpha release. So much fun dying falling into the ground or into your own ship.
    thats the experience of 90% of the people who 'play' it. They paid some mid level streamers there awhile ago when they released their latest 'update' it was such a mess that I think they paid them double NOT to keep streaming. It was THAT bad. Floating NPCs, NPCs stuck in walls and doors and falling through thte world in an infinite loop, rubber banding ships, ships falling through the world, basically everything you described and more.

Once the 'regular' guys who knew where to stay away from to keep people from seeing the 'trouble' spots werent the streamers most people were watching the major issue were exposed.

Sure some of it is almost 'playable' but 80% of what they have is a complete buggy mess. But after 220 million (which is probably less than they have already spent) what theyre offering is a joke.
    caganBabuinix
    rodarin said:
    cagan said:
    thats the experience of 90% of the people who 'play' it. They paid some mid level streamers there awhile ago when they released their latest 'update' it was such a mess that I think they paid them double NOT to keep streaming. It was THAT bad. Floating NPCs, NPCs stuck in walls and doors and falling through thte world in an infinite loop, rubber banding ships, ships falling through the world, basically everything you described and more.

Once the 'regular' guys who knew where to stay away from to keep people from seeing the 'trouble' spots werent the streamers most people were watching the major issue were exposed.

Sure some of it is almost 'playable' but 80% of what they have is a complete buggy mess. But after 220 million (which is probably less than they have already spent) what theyre offering is a joke.
    I completely agree, it's a buggy mess. I see NPC's stuck inside walls, ships falling through the ground. I died multiple times as I stuck inside my own ship. Watching the streamers I thought it was quite finished. It is far far from it. I will try in another 3-4 months maybe.
  • JoeBloberJoeBlober Member RarePosts: 586

Yes, it started as internal crowdfunding, but in typical Roberts fashion, the website was poorly prepared, and crashed.  ......

The 'Round the Verse video is just another of their teasers to keep supporters focused, and to spur more donations.....So, keep donating funds to Roberts' Red Queen's Race, because they'll need them to entice next year's investors.  

First Nobody can expect the number of connection (10 thousands)... Even Publishers site crash when too much do try to connect... Stop being low level CR hater :)

Second ATV and others weekly or monthly communication are part of the kickstarter agreement: provide community with update. So again more trolling for those always looking at the half empty glass.

Third a +500 team costs money, starting a project from scratch with 12 guys, no pipelines and 6 M$ to deliver a Beta in 5 quarters (Q2 2020) do cost a lot.... Do you believe EA make triple-A with A? Wrong! they did have to create their studios, hired thousands of devs and start new project with full up-to-date pipelines and and hundred millions of cash.

Wake up and try to be just remotely honest in yours comments... because it shows a lot.
    SlyLoKJemAs666WalkinGlenn
    edited March 2019

I completely agree, it's a buggy mess. I see NPC's stuck inside walls, ships falling through the ground. I died multiple times as I stuck inside my own ship. Watching the streamers I thought it was quite finished. It is far far from it. I will try in another 3-4 months maybe.

... so HOW Streamers can show hours of gameplay and test without crashing or having ships falling through grounds?

Anyone in Alpha can confirm it is a lie. Bugs? yes there are bugs (you know.. ALpha... not release as finished) but what you describe is the usual average hater having nothing but hate to deliver.

You can pretend a company lie to make their game more attractive. Fine... But with +800.000 individual backers and ten's of streamers proving you are lying, you stand no chance :)

The best are guys providing video... of game version which are 2 years late and pretend this is current gameplay :)
    SlyLoKJemAs666WalkinGlenn

rodarin said:

cagan said:

thats the experience of 90% of the people who 'play' it. They paid some mid level streamers there awhile ago when they released their latest 'update' it was such a mess that I think they paid them double NOT to keep streaming.......Sure some of it is almost 'playable' but 80% of what they have is a complete buggy mess......220 million (which is probably less than they have already spent) what theyre offering is a joke.

Okay the usual hater bullshit.

First: The Conspiracy: Individual with zero connection with CIG, a project shared by +800.000 Backers and ten's streamer are providing fake video or are secretly paid... LoL

Second: It is the opposite boy./ 80% is working fine for an Alpha and remaining bugs are iron out monthly. The fact no company provide such early visibility to their project in development make you think this one is special... You are totally wrong and childish to even think about it.

Third: Creating company from scratch with only 6M$, 12 guys, no pipelines to deliver two triple-A cost hundred millions. beta is in 5 quarters with content already in Alpha even Publishers don't have in their current production. You understanding of game development at large and finance is at best abysmal...
    SlyLoKAzzrasJemAs666WalkinGlenn
    edited March 2019
    JoeBlober said:

JemAs666
    edited March 2019
    JoeBlober said:

... so HOW Streamers can show hours of gameplay and test without crashing or having ships falling through grounds?

Anyone in Alpha can confirm it is a lie. Bugs? yes there are bugs (you know.. ALpha... not release as finished) but what you describe is the usual average hater having nothing but hate to deliver.

You can pretend a company lie to make their game more attractive. Fine... But with +800.000 individual backers and ten's of streamers proving you are lying, you stand no chance :)

The best are guys providing video... of game version which are 2 years late and pretend this is current gameplay :)
    JoeBlober said:

rodarin said:

cagan said:

thats the experience of 90% of the people who 'play' it. They paid some mid level streamers there awhile ago when they released their latest 'update' it was such a mess that I think they paid them double NOT to keep streaming.......Sure some of it is almost 'playable' but 80% of what they have is a complete buggy mess......220 million (which is probably less than they have already spent) what theyre offering is a joke.

Okay the usual hater bullshit.

First: The Conspiracy: Individual with zero connection with CIG, a project shared by +800.000 Backers and ten's streamer are providing fake video or are secretly paid... LoL

Second: It is the opposite boy./ 80% is working fine for an Alpha and remaining bugs are iron out monthly. The fact no company provide such early visibility to their project in development make you think this one is special... You are totally wrong and childish to even think about it.

Third: Creating company from scratch with only 6M$, 12 guys, no pipelines to deliver two triple-A cost hundred millions. beta is in 5 quarters with content already in Alpha even Publishers don't have in their current production. You understanding of game development at large and finance is at best abysmal...

the guys who have been bought computers and paid to stream this from the get go never ever go where the most trouble is. They are either told where to avoid or explore offline to see where they are for themselves. If you watch the 4 or 5 guys who stream it regularly you can see they all go to the same 3 or 4 places every time they stream.

anyone can edit and splice together 4 or 5 hours worth of 'gameplay' and make a video out of it that looks good. thats as fake as fake can get. we saw that with Atlas. while technically it could have been described as 'gameplay' video it surely wasnt what one would REASONABLY expect to actually experience playing the game.

SC isnt even a game yet, at best its a bunch of strung together tech demos that dont mesh and are in constant conflict with each other, thus the crashes and bugs, at worst its going to be the biggest waste of money ever seen in video gaming history.

if it was even close to what the white knights want to describe it would actually have people playing it right now. and they wouldnt have to continually give away 'free fly' weekends. which are just a lame attempt to showcase whatever they think they made better and hoping they get some other sucker to buy a ship or 5.

Also 'this early a look' LMAO really? 7 years and 220 million in and this is early? They have literally spent every penny they have been given (obviously not on what they want to call the product) but they have spent it nonetheless. So regardless of length of time which by no means is 'short' or 'early' at this point, they have spent more than what 90% of the games that actually get released have spent to produce a game that is worth buying at a retail price. And lets not get started on all the early access games.

THATS how horrifically horrible they have managed this thing, 220 million in and they cant even describe themselves as 'early access', and they really have a hard time 'selling' what they have as even an alpha. But I guess they figured if they changed the name and the versions it might fool some people into thinking theyre actually making progress.
    Erillion
  • AzzrasAzzras Member UncommonPosts: 407
    I rarely pay attention to the comments ab out SC because it's the usual "fake game" or "con artist" crap spewed by people here every single time. The funny thing is I doubt they've even actually played the latest release. Just the other day I jumped into my ship, went and mined some ore in an asteroid field in the middle of nowhere, then jumped to one of the planets (I forget which planet as there are multiple) and then sold my ore for a small profit. After that, I switched ships and made a delivery run consisting of finding a salvage item in the middle of a moon, then delivering it to an outpost on a  planet. The game isn't perfect, but it's hilarious to watch the comments. I remember when everyone on this site said the game was  vaporware and you'd never even see a flight ready ship.
    It's also funny to watch these same people jump from beta to beta saying "X" game will be the best MMO ever, only to watch it fail. Keep up the predictable comments. Always good for a laugh.
    BabuinixJoeBloberErillion

Azzras said:

I rarely pay attention to the comments ab out SC because it's the usual "fake game" or "con artist" crap spewed by people here every single time. The funny thing is I doubt they've even actually played the latest release. Just the other day I jumped into my ship, went and mined some ore in an asteroid field in the middle of nowhere, then jumped to one of the planets (I forget which planet as there are multiple) and then sold my ore for a small profit. After that, I switched ships and made a delivery run consisting of finding a salvage item in the middle of a moon, then delivering it to an outpost on a  planet. The game isn't perfect, but it's hilarious to watch the comments. I remember when everyone on this site said the game was  vaporware and you'd never even see a flight ready ship.
    It's also funny to watch these same people jump from beta to beta saying "X" game will be the best MMO ever, only to watch it fail. Keep up the predictable comments. Always good for a laugh.

Right. Always the same group of low level haters, pretending that each time they go anywhere there ships disappear in ground or they are killed entering ships... According to the same it is a miracle if you can even launch the game and not crash after a couple of minutes...
    But... hundreds of videos showing latest revision do show the opposite... and haters single answer to facts is that "Streamers are paid to show only good video";.. Lol. After vaporware, after collapse 90 days top (back from 2015), we have "I die every minutes".

It is not like we have videos with +45 guys in one single instance with 10's of ships playing during a couple hours together in Space, quantum drive altogether to a new moon and then fight at the same from air and on ground.... None of them even disconnected.
    ErillionAzzras
    Azzras said:
    thats a lot of 'content' for 220 million
    JemAs666URMAKER
    Poor Star Citizen still in alpha, buggy and glitchy yet still better than many AAA blockbusters and certanly way better than most space games for sure  B)

All these Star Citizen streamers playing and the viewers enjoyiing their content are surely being paid . Theres no other option.  :'(
    ErillionWalkinGlenn
    JoeBlober said:

Already Uninstalled, why would i lie? hater? I dont care if i hate it or not, all i care is I tried to play a few hours, and kept dying to bugs. It is very frustrating. I am playing Stellaris now to get my space gaming out of me. I love how people on this forum are: OMG YOU DISAGREE WITH ME! LIAR! YOU ARE A HATER! No the game is still POS and in early alpha, maybe it will be great in a few years, i am ready to wait...

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    My only wish is that they would do these videos unscripted. There is some serious cringe in these and you don't get to know the developers personalities. 

You stay sassy!

• theocculttheoccult Member UncommonPosts: 51
    edited March 2019
    Anyone else getting a Nar Shaddaa vibe from the video's thumbnail image?

Thought for a sec this was about an SWTOR update.  :p
    Cagan I dont doubt of your experience. It can surely happen, game is still in alpha, many bugs and glitches aply depending on the ships you use. If I had to guess I'd say your ship is a mustang or a origin. Most of those bugs are known and avoidable. That's 

Those are known ''faulty' ships. That's part of it. The game may look amazing but its far from a polished first player experience. Theres no point in polishing something before everything is fleshed out, waste of time and money.

If you're not willing to aproach it as an alpha project in work as what it is you're bound to frustrations.

Like you said you're better off come later and test something more stable.

Whille SCitizen will continue to push tech and update a lot of r&d tech we will have bugs and glitches as the tech gets ironed out.

There's a reason why after being announced in 2012 there's still no game close to what features Star Citizen already provides.

Ence it's continuous support and interest ;) 
    JoeBlober