Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best Sequel Ever

124

Comments

  • ikcinikcin Member RarePosts: 2,142
    ikcin said:

    TW3 is the most rewarded game for sure. And this is important fact, as the game is not made in US and published by US company. Like if a foreign movie gets the Oscar for the best movie. What I point is, that noone mentioned TW3. Are KOTOR 2, Mass Effect 2, Assassins Creed 2, Final Fantasy VII, Divinity Original Sin 2 better games? I doubt. 
    Awards is not something I would point to in this case or any really.

    Lets look at the Oscars which according to them Green Book was the best movie last year.  What are the odds anyone gives a shit about that in 5 years when talking about the greatest movie ever made?  Most will not even remember it won much less should be in that consideration.  I liked the movie and all but in my opinion there were better movies last year.  Or if you wanted to judge by most awards then 3 are tied with 11.  LOTR:ROTK, Titanic, and Ben Hur all won 11 in their respective years and would argue that none are the greatest movie of all time although Ben Hur would be top 5. 

    Most awards do not really mean a whole lot.  Its great publicity for sure but not a measure of greatness when we are discussing opinion and personal experience.
    Yeah, but what I point - it is the most awarded game ever. It does not have only one Oscar. And also it is not US game. Rare case. As usually most awarded games come from US. And TW2 is a good game. But TW3 is far superior.

    I just noticed, I was wrong:

    Kyleran said:

    Witcher 3, over the first two.


  • ScotScot Member EpicPosts: 10,681
    edited March 15
    ikcin said:

    TW3 is the most rewarded game for sure. And this is important fact, as the game is not made in US and published by US company. Like if a foreign movie gets the Oscar for the best movie. What I point is, that noone mentioned TW3. Are KOTOR 2, Mass Effect 2, Assassins Creed 2, Final Fantasy VII, Divinity Original Sin 2 better games? I doubt. 
    Awards is not something I would point to in this case or any really.

    Lets look at the Oscars which according to them Green Book was the best movie last year.  What are the odds anyone gives a shit about that in 5 years when talking about the greatest movie ever made?  Most will not even remember it won much less should be in that consideration.  I liked the movie and all but in my opinion there were better movies last year.  Or if you wanted to judge by most awards then 3 are tied with 11.  LOTR:ROTK, Titanic, and Ben Hur all won 11 in their respective years and would argue that none are the greatest movie of all time although Ben Hur would be top 5. 

    Most awards do not really mean a whole lot.  Its great publicity for sure but not a measure of greatness when we are discussing opinion and personal experience.
    Such awards are only indicators at best of a form of entertainment's greatness. To my knowledge there is not an award system anywhere in the world that has not had "award creep". Each year or so another award is dreamt up; another sport becomes an Olympic sport, Steam had a Most Fun With a Machine Award this year, I think they may fit their awards to what comes out each year.

    So Ben Hur got those awards when there where far fewer given out, that said the Lotr trilogy makes my top 5 films of all time. And there I am counting three films as one so I can squeeze another four in. :)

    I see awards as an indicator of what people are being convinced they need to see or play as much as their inherent worth. Make your own mind up.

    parrotpholkTorvalAlBQuirky

     25 Agrees

    You received 25 Agrees. You're posting some good content. Great!

    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

    Now Doesn't That Make You Feel All Warm And Fuzzy Inside? :P

  • blueturtle13blueturtle13 Member LegendaryPosts: 11,372
    Hell TW3 was not even the best RPG of 2015 to me. Over-rated game in my personal opinion. 

    parrotpholkTorvalAlBQuirkyThaneMrMelGibson

    거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다












  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 2,359
    Path of exile.

    Sequel of diablo 2
  • ikcinikcin Member RarePosts: 2,142
    Scot said:
    Such awards are only indicators at best of a form of entertainment's greatness. To my knowledge there is not an award system anywhere in the world that has not had "award creep". Each year or so another award is dreamt up; another sport becomes an Olympic sport, Steam had a Most Fun With a Machine Award this year, I think they may fit their awards to what comes out each year.

    So Ben Hur got those awards when there where far fewer given out, that said the Lotr trilogy makes my top 5 films of all time. And there I am counting three films as one so I can squeeze another four in. :)

    I see awards as an indicator of what people are being convinced they need to see or play as much as their inherent worth. Make your own mind up.


    Well I agree in general. But again - this is not an US game. It is an exclusion of the rule - wins who pays.

    As for the LoTR. The movie was not good. It had some good moments, even great, but in general it was very overrated. Not to mention the best of the three is the second. All are based on the comics instead on the books - lazy. The casting was great. The script - bad. The best actors - Viggo Mortensen and the Smeagol animation. And honestly Viggo Mortensen is better in Green book. 

    I'm fan of LoTR. But Jackson literally used the script from the animation based on comics. And the movie was kind of disappointing.

    The story for the greatness and the hidden power of the small man, full with powerful messages about ecology, violence, hate, racism, war, honor, love, became a picture of a big battle of good humans and elves against bad orcs. Well at least the elves were not black and gay. 

    While Green book is about black gay, but that is not the point and the powerful messages are there, the main - the color of the skin actually does not matter.
  • MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,258
    damn you kids are young

    Ultima 3 was by far a much superior game than Ultima 1/2
    Might and Magic 3 was the best of their franchise as well
    TorvalAlBQuirkyScot
  • BossChonoBossChono Member UncommonPosts: 23

    Total War Medieval 2 over the first one.  Or Total War Rome 2 over the first one (now with all the xpacs and fixes, not when it was first released in a horrid state.)  Starfox 64 over the snes one, but that's better because of system capabilities.

  • Jean-Luc_PicardJean-Luc_Picard Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    Myrdynn said:
    damn you kids are young

    Ultima 3 was by far a much superior game than Ultima 1/2
    Might and Magic 3 was the best of their franchise as well
    And then came Ultima IV (new milestone)... and Ultima VII (Ultimate Milestone) ;)
    Torval
    "The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn in Star Wars.
    After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that nor does the ability to write.
    CPU: Core I7 9700k (4.90ghz) - GPU: Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming - RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Savage DDR4 3000 - Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra - PSU: Antec TruePower New 750W - Storage: Kingston KC1000 NVMe 960gb SSD and 2x1TB WD Velociraptor HDDs (Raid 0) - Main display: Philips 40PUK6809 4K 3D TV - Second display: Philips 273v 27" gaming monitor - VR: Pimax 8K headset and Razer Hydra controllers - Soundcard: Sony STR-DH550 AV Receiver HDMI linked with the GPU and the TV, with Jamo S 426 HS 3 5.0 speakers and Pioneer S-21W subwoofer - OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bits.

  • VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member RarePosts: 6,506
    Might and magic 6 is the only one that I can really remember. Actually that's not true I remember trying might and magic 8 and didn't like it. 6 was good though.
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member EpicPosts: 2,233
    Myrdynn said:
    damn you kids are young

    Ultima 3 was by far a much superior game than Ultima 1/2
    Might and Magic 3 was the best of their franchise as well
    And then came Ultima IV (new milestone)... and Ultima VII (Ultimate Milestone) ;)
    I do like looking at older games too so my “Back in the Day We Had Awesome Sequels Too” awards go to:

    Wing Commander 2

    and

    Maniac Mansion 2 (aka Day of the Tentacle)

    /Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    ScotJamesGoblinMrMelGibson
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

    Kyleran on yours sincerely 


    But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.

    Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...
  • ScotScot Member EpicPosts: 10,681
    Myrdynn said:
    damn you kids are young

    Ultima 3 was by far a much superior game than Ultima 1/2
    Might and Magic 3 was the best of their franchise as well
    Ultima IV was the best, but you nearly got there. ;)
    JamesGoblin

     25 Agrees

    You received 25 Agrees. You're posting some good content. Great!

    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

    Now Doesn't That Make You Feel All Warm And Fuzzy Inside? :P

  • ScotScot Member EpicPosts: 10,681
    ikcin said:
    Scot said:
    Such awards are only indicators at best of a form of entertainment's greatness. To my knowledge there is not an award system anywhere in the world that has not had "award creep". Each year or so another award is dreamt up; another sport becomes an Olympic sport, Steam had a Most Fun With a Machine Award this year, I think they may fit their awards to what comes out each year.

    So Ben Hur got those awards when there where far fewer given out, that said the Lotr trilogy makes my top 5 films of all time. And there I am counting three films as one so I can squeeze another four in. :)

    I see awards as an indicator of what people are being convinced they need to see or play as much as their inherent worth. Make your own mind up.


    Well I agree in general. But again - this is not an US game. It is an exclusion of the rule - wins who pays.

    As for the LoTR. The movie was not good. It had some good moments, even great, but in general it was very overrated. Not to mention the best of the three is the second. All are based on the comics instead on the books - lazy. The casting was great. The script - bad. The best actors - Viggo Mortensen and the Smeagol animation. And honestly Viggo Mortensen is better in Green book. 

    I'm fan of LoTR. But Jackson literally used the script from the animation based on comics. And the movie was kind of disappointing.

    The story for the greatness and the hidden power of the small man, full with powerful messages about ecology, violence, hate, racism, war, honor, love, became a picture of a big battle of good humans and elves against bad orcs. Well at least the elves were not black and gay. 

    While Green book is about black gay, but that is not the point and the powerful messages are there, the main - the color of the skin actually does not matter.

    You do realise that many of the messages that people think they find in Lotro were denied by Tokien as being his intention?  People have said his work endoses racism (I cannot tell you how angry I was about that) and others that it makes a stand against it, this tells you more about the commentators than the author. People find what they want to find in art, literature, games, you name it.

    Also just as a note, the Elves did not take part, that’s why the battle in the opening sequence is called The Last Alliance of Elves and Men. They defended their lands but sent no armies out to war, the time had come for men to rule Middle Earth. But I did not mind Jackson sending Elves to the Hornburg, it was good film wise.

    For me as a Tolkien fan I knew the film would only work if the book was reimagined for that medium, so though I rankled at some changes it was still a great adaptation.

    parrotpholkJamesGoblin

     25 Agrees

    You received 25 Agrees. You're posting some good content. Great!

    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

    Now Doesn't That Make You Feel All Warm And Fuzzy Inside? :P

  • ikcinikcin Member RarePosts: 2,142
    Scot said:

    You do realise that many of the messages that people think they find in Lotro were denied by Tokien as being his intention?  People have said his work endoses racism (I cannot tell you how angry I was about that) and others that it makes a stand against it, this tells you more about the commentators than the author. People find what they want to find in art, literature, games, you name it.


    Also just as a note, the Elves did not take part, that’s why the battle in the opening sequence is called The Last Alliance of Elves and Men. They defended their lands but sent no armies out to war, the time had come for men to rule Middle Earth. But I did not mind Jackson sending Elves to the Hornburg, it was good film wise.

    For me as a Tolkien fan I knew the film would only work if the book was reimagined for that medium, so though I rankled at some changes it was still a great adaptation.

    You know, I always want better :) 

    Heroes of Might and Magic 3 - the best up to date. Heretic 2 - another great game underrated in US.  
    Scot
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member EpicPosts: 6,673
    I liked WoW much more than Warcraft 3 - which I also liked and played a lot, but there at least I made some food/toilet breaks. 
    Warcraft 3 was a terrible game. I really didn't consider WoW a sequel, but a whole new entity of its own. It was more of an Everquest sequel than a Warcraft 3 sequel.
    MrMelGibson
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member EpicPosts: 6,673
    The Elder Scroll series....Daggerfall was light years better than Arena was......Arena was a buggy mess...daggerfall was the first game I remember playing that had such a huge open world.
    AlBQuirky
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 2,986
    edited March 17
    Really if somebody can explain to me how KotOR2 was better overall than KotOR I would be very interested in hearing about that.
    @Adamantine You should replay it with the Sith Lords restored content patch. Without it you may have a point. But the patch fixes and finishes the game making it superior to KOTOR imo.

    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=485537937
    blueturtle13
  • ScotScot Member EpicPosts: 10,681
    ikcin said:
    Scot said:

    You do realise that many of the messages that people think they find in Lotro were denied by Tokien as being his intention?  People have said his work endoses racism (I cannot tell you how angry I was about that) and others that it makes a stand against it, this tells you more about the commentators than the author. People find what they want to find in art, literature, games, you name it.


    Also just as a note, the Elves did not take part, that’s why the battle in the opening sequence is called The Last Alliance of Elves and Men. They defended their lands but sent no armies out to war, the time had come for men to rule Middle Earth. But I did not mind Jackson sending Elves to the Hornburg, it was good film wise.

    For me as a Tolkien fan I knew the film would only work if the book was reimagined for that medium, so though I rankled at some changes it was still a great adaptation.

    You know, I always want better :) 

    Heroes of Might and Magic 3 - the best up to date. Heretic 2 - another great game underrated in US.  
    Heretic was an old favourite of mine. :)
    TorvalAlBQuirky

     25 Agrees

    You received 25 Agrees. You're posting some good content. Great!

    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

    Now Doesn't That Make You Feel All Warm And Fuzzy Inside? :P

  • SharneSharne Member UncommonPosts: 134
    Kick Off 2,Baldur's Gate 2, Mass Effect 2 not necessarily in that order 
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 2,767
    Warcraft 3
    MrMelGibson

    "The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online

  • MensurMensur Member RarePosts: 793
    Final Fantasy 7
  • TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 18,709
    ChronoCross > ChronoTrigger
    blueturtle13MrMelGibson
    take back the hobby: https://www.reddit.com/r/patientgamers/

    traveller, interloper, anomaly
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 2,767
    FF7 and CC are masterpieces but FF6 and Chrono Trigger are ineffable, commonly ranked among the greatest video games of all time let alone greatest RPGs.

    "The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online

  • laseritlaserit Member EpicPosts: 6,033
    Scot said:
    ikcin said:
    Scot said:

    You do realise that many of the messages that people think they find in Lotro were denied by Tokien as being his intention?  People have said his work endoses racism (I cannot tell you how angry I was about that) and others that it makes a stand against it, this tells you more about the commentators than the author. People find what they want to find in art, literature, games, you name it.


    Also just as a note, the Elves did not take part, that’s why the battle in the opening sequence is called The Last Alliance of Elves and Men. They defended their lands but sent no armies out to war, the time had come for men to rule Middle Earth. But I did not mind Jackson sending Elves to the Hornburg, it was good film wise.

    For me as a Tolkien fan I knew the film would only work if the book was reimagined for that medium, so though I rankled at some changes it was still a great adaptation.

    You know, I always want better :) 

    Heroes of Might and Magic 3 - the best up to date. Heretic 2 - another great game underrated in US.  
    Heretic was an old favourite of mine. :)
    Wasn't Heretic that fantasy first person shooter? My brother really grooved on that one ;)
    Scot

    "Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 2,767
    I liked WoW much more than Warcraft 3 - which I also liked and played a lot, but there at least I made some food/toilet breaks. 
    Warcraft 3 was a terrible game. I really didn't consider WoW a sequel, but a whole new entity of its own. It was more of an Everquest sequel than a Warcraft 3 sequel.
    A player-created custom map of Warcraft 3 spawned an entire video game genre in which the most popular title now earns over 1B USD annually.

    "The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online

  • ikcinikcin Member RarePosts: 2,142
    laserit said:

    Wasn't Heretic that fantasy first person shooter? My brother really grooved on that one ;)
    Indeed. And it is nothing special really. Medieval FPS. That could work only in US I think. Anyway, Heretic 2 is something very, very different. It is the first of its kind I think. And that kind is Dark Souls. But in some aspects Heretic 2 is even better than the Souls games.
    laserit
Sign In or Register to comment.