Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A New Dungeons & Dragons Game is in the Works - Is it an RPG or MMO? - MMORPG.com News

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited March 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageA New Dungeons & Dragons Game is in the Works - Is it an RPG or MMO? - MMORPG.com News

Tuque Games has a new announcement that indicates it is now working on a licensed Dungeons & Dragons game. While that is literally the only information about the game itself that is offered, the jobs listings reveal a few tidbits that may indicate an RPG / cRPG is in the works.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    I'm gonna say multiplatform (not with mobile yet) cRPG along the lines of Neverwinter Nights, Baldur's Gate, Torment, etc. :)

At least that's what I hope! 
    [Deleted User]TokkenSaltyDog79HatefullRueTheWhirlTacticalZombeh

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    Forgotten Realms Royale.  :D
    SBFordWhiteLanternChildoftheShadowsUkurvSaltyDog79HatefullbcbullyinfomatzScotsakinoland 2 others.
  • MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,325
    edited March 2019
    Baldurs Gate 3 has been rumored for years, might be true :D

Maurgrim said:

I wiiiiiiiiiiiiiish! :D
    TokkennatpickMargraveinfomatz

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

edited March 2019
    SBFord said:
    Maurgrim said:

I wiiiiiiiiiiiiiish! :D
    Your wish will be granted. In the form of a card game!
    SBFordMargraveDhamon99bcbullyinfomatzRueTheWhirlTacticalZombeh
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    This is intriguing. Can't wait to learn more.
    fourleef

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• WizbuizWizbuiz Member UncommonPosts: 215
    Its a board game with trangender elves
    [Deleted User]WalperinfomatzEvilgentlemanWaan
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    A throwback to the Chainmail rules??  ;) 

I'd guess that it will use the current D&D rules (i.e., 5th edition).  I can't see WotC reversing decades of decisions and licensing a prior edition.   The job descriptions make it sound very story-driven but the Livelock game seemed to be very action-oriented.  It *might* be a BG3, as @Maurgrim and PCGamer suggest, but it really could be anything.  I'd love something a bit less linear than a BG clone/sequel is likely to be.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
    I pray its a single player RPG and has nothing to do with multiplayer, cash shops, or season passes.
    SBFordSaltyDog79infomatzRueTheWhirlTacticalZombehmikeb0817Palebane
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

klash2def said:
    I pray its a single player RPG and has nothing to do with multiplayer, cash shops, or season passes.
    When I was culling through the job listings, I didn't see anything about "experience with multiplayer systems" or anything that indicated multiplayer. So I'm with you. Single player only.
    klash2defMargraveTacticalZombehmikeb0817

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

SBFord said:
    klash2def said:
    When I was culling through the job listings, I didn't see anything about "experience with multiplayer systems" or anything that indicated multiplayer. So I'm with you. Single player only.
    I wouldn't object to a cooperative RPG akin to Divinity Original Sin 2.
    SBFordSlapshot1188FacelessSaviorinfomatzkinkyJalepenoblastermaster
  • Tuor7Tuor7 Member RarePosts: 982
    IMO, Baldur's Gate 2 ended pretty conclusively, so I don't see any need for another release in the series. Make something new.
  • azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    edited March 2019

SBFord said:

klash2def said:

Their only previous game (Livelock) supported solo and three players co-op gameplay, so they already have some multiplayer experience internally.

There is something interesting with the job descriptions though, some mention D&D directly, some just "world renowed IP" and then some others seems older and just says "fantasy adventure RPG game".

Also, they use Unreal 4.
    SBFordklash2def
  • ParagonianParagonian Member UncommonPosts: 39

klash2def said:

...Or on our phones. PC focus, please!

SBFordFacelessSavior
  • BlinkennBlinkenn Member UncommonPosts: 166
    Thats a shame, there hasn't been a decent D&D based game in 10+ years.
  • azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    edited March 2019

klash2def said:

...Or on our phones. PC focus, please!

Their previous game released on PC, Xbox One and PS4.

I also checked that game credit list and Tuque Games was made of ex-Ubisoft, ex-A2M (Artificial Mind & Movement) and ex-Behaviour Interactive developers back in 2016 (year the game released, the studio started in 2012).
  • InebriatedSkunkInebriatedSkunk Member UncommonPosts: 66
    I just hope the open ended style of D&D lends itself well to an MMO. I just want a world I can live in with no cash shop everywhere and good action/hybrid combat. Something like the Elder Tale MMO in Log Horizon
  • LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    Everyone completely forgetting that Neverwinter exists also?  There's currently 2 D&D brand MMOs already.  I'd be quite surprised to see another one.

It definitely feels like time for another attempt at a new D&D RPG, though.  I can't even remember what was the last good one.
    Rockinw311
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Aeander said:
    I wouldn't even be surprised.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149

Lokero said:

Everyone completely forgetting that Neverwinter exists also?  There's currently 2 D&D brand MMOs already.  I'd be quite surprised to see another one.

It definitely feels like time for another attempt at a new D&D RPG, though.  I can't even remember what was the last good one.

It has been awhile. . although Neverwinter is a bit old. The branching dialogue and job description make int sound like a single player PC (and console) game.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• couponforkcouponfork Member UncommonPosts: 114
    BGTSCC 4 EVA
  • DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701
    Its going to be something totally new. a Giant Dragon will fly carrying part of a castle, inside the part of the castle will be 100 players ready to do battle! They will jump out of the broken piece of castle when ever they want onto a ever shrinking map......
  • klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
    Aeander said:
    I wouldn't even be surprised.
    I would
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

• perrin82perrin82 Member UncommonPosts: 285
    Hoping for a great RPG that is not focused on the mobile market. As a PC player we have had some gems come out the past few years so here is to hoping another one!
  • CembryeCembrye Member UncommonPosts: 65
    Early backers will get access to Pre-Alpha 1, a baby dragon pet and an air guitar emote.  By the time we get to Developer Diary #179, we will hear that Alpha 1 has been pushed back to 2025, but the cash store is now open and you will be able to buy different colored skins for your baby dragon pet.
    [Deleted User]