Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best Sequel Ever

AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
The idea is to choose among games where the sequel is/was better than the original, and then select the one where it was the most improved. 

Expansions and patches don't count. It has to be a whole new game.

I nominate GW2. It was a million times better than GW1. 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

Albatroes[Deleted User]KellerJamesGoblinQuizzicalvandal5627mmolouHashbrick[Deleted User]Scotand 1 other.

Comments

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Diablo 2, and I don’t even know where to start listing the improvements...

Honourable mention goes out to Street Fighter 2, a hundred times better then the first in every area mentionable.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    [Deleted User]AlbatroesJamesGoblinultimateduckCryomatrix[Deleted User]Foncl
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Amathe said:
    The idea is to choose among games where the sequel is/was better than the original, and then select the one where it was the most improved. 

Congratz on getting my first WTF for saying GW2 is million times better than GW1.
    AmatheJamesGoblinQuizzicalHashbrickMorgenes83
  • BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546
    Road Rash 2.
    MrMelGibsonGilcroixNyteWytchBossChono
  • KellerKeller Member UncommonPosts: 602
    edited March 2019
    Jagged Alliance 2
    Final Fantasy VII
    Streets of Rage 2
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Albatroes said:
    Amathe said:

Congratz on getting my first WTF for saying GW2 is million times better than GW1.
    Many happy returns.
    [Deleted User]JamesGoblinMrMelGibsonSwampySack

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Witcher 3, over the first two.
    [Deleted User]JamesGoblinrojoArcueid[Deleted User]KilraneMrMelGibsonAdamantineXarkoPhaserlightdelete5230

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

edited March 2019
    lahnmir said:

Honourable mention goes out to Street Fighter 2, a hundred times better then the first in every area mentionable.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Yet I loved D1 and disliked D2, go figure.

Perhaps the novelty wore off.

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

FFXI vs FFXIV, now there's a tough call.

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Kyleran said:
    lahnmir said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

I am surprised you liked them at all hahaha.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    JamesGoblin
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

lahnmir said:
    Kyleran said:
    lahnmir said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

I am surprised you liked them at all hahaha.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Well D1 released at a time when RPGs were in a bit of a rut, so it was viewed as as revitalizing the genre.

Of course then many said it wasn't a proper CRPG ....and the ARPG was born.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• JamesGoblinJamesGoblin Member RarePosts: 1,242
    I liked WoW much more than Warcraft 3 - which I also liked and played a lot, but there at least I made some food/toilet breaks. 
     W...aaagh?
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    edited March 2019
    Kyleran said:
    FFXI vs FFXIV, now there's a tough call.
    That is like saying Beetlejuice three times except substitute Beetlejuice with.....

AmatheJamesGoblin

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    I'm not certain I have a sequel that was substantially better than the original.   Maybe, Civilization 2 being better than Civilization 1.  *Maybe*.  The original X-Com was epic, X-Com: Terror from the Deep didn't add much.  Diablo and Diablo II were entirely too similar.  All the Might&Magic series were all the same, with little improvement at all between the titles.

My candidate:  Imperium Galactica II.  Better story lines, less hand holding.  But still only marginally better.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Masters of Orion 2!

Morrowind as compared to the Elder Scrolls games that came before it.

Galactic Civilizations II

Of course now I want to try Gothic 2 as BlueTurtle says it's amazing. Is it? IS IT?!?!!? :o
    Kyleran
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Amathe said:

GW2 is not a real sequel.  They two different genres. Using this logic WoW is the greatest sequel since it was a sequel to Warcraft 3....
    Scot

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

BizkitNL said:
    Road Rash 2.
    I say 3D or Jailbreak were bigger sequels 

Madden 2055

I win
    KyleranAlBQuirky

• some-clueless-guysome-clueless-guy Member UncommonPosts: 227
    My vote goes to Mass Effect 2. Testament to this is the fact that ME 1 didn't age well if one wants to play it today movement feels clunky, graphics do look dated and the same goes for character progression; while the second chapter can be easily enjoyed even with today's standards.
    SovrathKyleranMrMelGibson[Deleted User]
  • vandal5627vandal5627 Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Warcraft 2 probably best game I've ever played at the time :)
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
     GW2 is not a real sequel.  They two different genres. Using this logic WoW is the greatest sequel since it was a sequel to Warcraft 3....
    There is some truth to this. But then again, they did call it GW2 and not GWAndNowForSomethingCompletelyDifferent.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    tekken 3 ^^
    MMOExposedPhaserlight

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• HashbrickHashbrick Member RarePosts: 1,851
    Easy and surprised no one said it yet.  Just Cause 2
    Phaserlight
    [[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    edited March 2019
    EDIT:

GTA III

• klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
    Mass Effect 2
    MrMelGibsonXarko
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear.